Author Topic: Are Topre really worth it?  (Read 28422 times)

Offline dj christian

Are Topre really worth it?
« on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:48:15 »
I've read they are better than Cherry switches. Is it really true?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Are Topre really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 06:49:03 »
No it's just a rubber dome conspiracy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline E3E

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 06:59:56 »
It's a matter of preference in the case of Alps vs Cherry vs Topre vs IBM. They all are above any low standards to the point where it's up to your likes and dislikes, generally speaking. Choose your poison.

Offline aviking

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 07:57:16 »
First keeb is a R2 Topre 45G silent here
Feels dreamy

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:16:36 »
You should really try both as you will not get a satisfactory answer from someone else (it's completely subjective).

Microcenter (if you have one nearby) should have both available to try out (albeit, they'll be the mass-produced versions of each).  Alternatively, you could just buy one of each from an online vendor, the classies here, or /mechmarket and resell the one you like less.  You shouldn't lose more than $20-30 doing so.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:17:07 »

Is McD Crispy Chikam Sandwich better than Chikam nugats ?

It's a matter of preference.

That said, I believe Cherry style switches is the better value proposition, because of the Option for Keycaps, this has always been the case.

Topre's advantage is that it is a very familiar key feel that everyone is used to, because of its similarity to the ubiquitous rubber dome keyboards.

It is a Smoother and more refined rubber-dome feel , that is its appeal.

Offline bigman7

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 08:36:31 »
Topre is only worth it if you REALLY like it because it's quite expensive. If you get a Topre board and by two weeks you're not in love with it, return it and get your money back (or sell it)

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 10:14:32 »
Value is subjective, but it's definitely worth at least trying at a meet-up - they are quite different to mx style switches.

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 12:02:49 »
Topre is worth it to me because it is the only switch that provides the kind of quiet tactile feel I like. I have yet to find an MX or MX clone switch that has the same tactile feel or quiet operation as Topre (with silencing rings installed).

Offline Entropia

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 12:11:49 »
I own two very good boards (Leopold), one with MX Blacks and one with Topres. I enjoy typing with both of them. A good board with good components and build quality really makes a difference. Now, both being very satisfactory experiences, I must say they feel really different. I was very doubtful about spending so much money in a board with Topres, but now I do not regret buying it at all. They feel unique. It's like a combination of smoothness, impact and great sound.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 12:32:23 »
A question like this reminds me of the quote (I can't remember the author):
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like."

People who gravitate towards Topre LOVE it. I go back and forth in terms of how much I love them. Sometimes I think nothing compares, and other times I get a little bored typing on them.

Topre switches are completely unique—nothing really compares. They're ultra-smooth, tactile and sound fantastic to my ears, but all of mine have silencing rings (e.g. Hyperspheres) and are lubed so they're not stock. No one is going to be able to properly explain the feeling. You need to try it yourself to know if it's your gig.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 17:28:01 »
The only way to find out is to try it out..I'd recommend at least a month.

For gaming, I prefer MX by a lot..

For general typing I prefer Topre but I'm fine with MX as well.

If I had to only get one, I'd get MX...but I'm very happy I don't have to make that choice.

Offline mta

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:16:14 »
I think they're good, but also very overhyped. Which is not to say they're bad or anything, but when I tried the HHKB for the first time it was sort of anticlimactic. It was just... "Okay, that's cool but... that's it?"

Offline NimbleTortoise

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 19:49:49 »
You have to really like it if you do get it, as it has several limitations in terms of keycaps, questionable space bar stabilizers, and the price. I think it's just alright personally. It didn't blow my mind.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 00:13:32 »
I wish there were better quality Topre keyboards.  With customs you can easily spend $500+ on a keyboard so it's not like Topre are 'expensive' by those standards, but they don't feel like the $200-$300 keyboards that they are.  RealForce boards have creaky plastic cases, non-removable cables, and mediocre stabilizers but at least it has a metal plate.  The HHKB doesn't even have that...

Unfortunately you can't really make a custom Topre keyboard.  Best you can do is transplant the PCB into a custom case.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 04:21:54 »
Too many word pictures ITT.

Yes. There is the correct answer.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 05:06:57 »
Nope i had almost every Topre board Hi Pro HHKB Pro 1/2 Realforce 87u 55g 30g 45g etc only board i haven't tried is the leopeold ones. Topre is NOT better then MX,Alps switches its all personal preference. People that claim Topre is the best keyboard build and beats every other MX/Alps or other switches are just trying to justify there high purchase.  :)IMO Alps switches beat Topre by miles.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 05:24:41 »
Novatouch sucks. Travel distance seems too long, and they're too heavy for fast typing. I don't know if lighter topre are acceptable.
When you spend too much for something, you are immediately in denial.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 06:29:00 »
.... y.....e.....s......

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 08:12:09 »
Novatouch sucks. Travel distance seems too long, and they're too heavy for fast typing. I don't know if lighter topre are acceptable.
When you spend too much for something, you are immediately in denial.

Well, for the keeb novice, this is probably true.

But for Keeb-Masters such as many Gekhakrs , if it's Meh , Tp4 will tell it like it is.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 08:45:51 »
Yes, it's subjective. However, for me, Topre is definitely worth it. Over the years, I've tried many types of keyboard switches. These have included cheap contemporary rubber domes, foam & foil, IBM membrane buckling spring (Model M), IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F), IBM beam spring, various SKCL and SKCM Alps, various vintage and contemporary Cherry mx and clones, and Topre 45g and 55g.

There is something to like about almost any keyboard switch, and I keep quite a variety in my keyboard rotations at home and work. However, the one I keep coming back to as my overall favorite is lubed and silenced 45g Topre (in my HHKB Pro 2 and my RF R2 TKL PPU edition boards).

Conversely, the switch category that consistently ranks last in my personal ratings is Cherry mx and its clones. Nevertheless, I keep some of these in my collection, mainly to showcase some very attractive keycap sets. Among Cherry clones, my favorites are Gateron Yellow and Zilent v1 67g. The Zilents are the closest thing to Topre that I have found in the Cherry mx and clones world.

As always, YMMV.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 09:29:12 »
Yes.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:35:40 »
Topre was designed for critical data entry. As such, being a capacitif switch it is immune to chatter — one could argue in that sense that Topre is 'better' than Cherry MX. Otherwise, for everything else, it is a completely subjective matter.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:48:21 »
HHKB and 55g RF are worth a good test run. HHKB ended the hobby for me in the long run.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 11:04:07 »
Did you ever experience key chatter? Did it happen when your keyboard new or was it heavily used?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 13:19:09 »
Why do people think others like Topre because of the cost?  That's such a laughable thing that's been debunked so many times..

MX ends up being just as expensive if not more so after you've changed out keycaps...Newer Topre keyboards have made the board more accessible and affordable and there are quite a number of expensive MX boards as well...

People end up liking Topre because they like it...it is purely personal preference and has nothing to do with price. 

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 14:01:59 »
Only ever had a Novatouch — killed it with coke spillage and solvent bath. The key feel wasn't bad, I did like it, it was great, but I think I preferred my old Filco blue, so in a sense the NT's death was a relief. I'm pretty sure 'real' Topre like Realforce is going to be even better, so perhaps I might even end liking it better than blues. Currently, I'm intrigue by Razer Ornata Chroma, a similar concept.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 15:10:51 »
Yes.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 16:45:53 »
Yes.

yes. farming posts btw don't mind me
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 16:58:24 »

Kinda, they are better than most cherry switches, but still dont feel as nice as holy pandas if you want a tactile switch.  Topre will just feel mushy by comparison..  I feel like mx blacks are the best linear switches of all time, and I prefer the holy pandas over ergo clears.  I have no experience with any other tactile switches but I do want to give novelkeys kailh box switches a go..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 17:29:23 »
The thing I heavily dislike about Topre is that I have to pay 250 dollars (assuming I'd buy a 104-key board) for a keyboard and another 100 or even more to make it perfect. I mean, for 250+ bucks I'd expect the keyboard to be perfect out of the box. I wouldn't mind much the (probably) mediocre tactility (after all, my CM Lite L is one of the less tactile rubber domes but it's still one of my favorite keyboards to date), but having to silence the keyboard and buy a spacebar that won't wear off in a month.. that's a no.
PBT keycaps are great, but my Compaq RT101 has all-PBT, even the spacebar. IDK how much it costed in 1995, but I bought it used for.. 20 dollars?
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline subcat

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:11:35 »
people always forget that topre keyboards are intended for the japanese domestic market, and thus most prices in the west are inflated because of logistics and other import-related fees

brand new realforces/hhkbs are available starting at ~$170-175 - obviously that still isn't 'affordable' by comparison to most low-mid range options but it seems like people base their pricing off of what smartimports charges and pretend that that's the rrp topre themselves set or something.

it's incredibly easy to get used topre for very cheap in japan too, think perfectly clean 87us around the $110 mark and older standard jis stuff for even less

also if you're wearing out your abs spacebars in a month i would suggest taking a shower

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:08:48 »
Yes.

Yeah mate just getting my post count up so i can use the market place.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:28:17 »
Yes.

So long as you're buying topre it's all good.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:57:56 »
Yes.

So long as you're buying topre it's all good.

Of course, cup rubber is my finger brother.

Offline whalematrontron

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 03:27:48 »
Nope i had almost every Topre board Hi Pro HHKB Pro 1/2 Realforce 87u 55g 30g 45g etc only board i haven't tried is the leopeold ones. Topre is NOT better then MX,Alps switches its all personal preference. People that claim Topre is the best keyboard build and beats every other MX/Alps or other switches are just trying to justify there high purchase.  :)IMO Alps switches beat Topre by miles.

tbh i think the same goes for a lot of people who invest tonnes into alps switches trying to find that perfect NOS switch

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 03:53:12 »
Didn't think much of them when I got my first one a few months back and after having quality control issues with my Topre clone board from Niz (the spacebar came off after just a few weeks, and the replacement Amazon sent me was so scratchy and hardly usable at all to me).

It was an HHKB, but it was back when I didn't know anything about lubing. It was a bit hard on the fingers at first, but my hands adjusted, and I grew to love the board so much. Now I have a third Topre board on the way. Can't imagine typing on much else now. Got a bunch of other keyboards in my closet I hardly use anymore because of Topre. ;)
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline frydaja

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:35:28 »
people always forget that topre keyboards are intended for the japanese domestic market, and thus most prices in the west are inflated because of logistics and other import-related fees
brand new realforces/hhkbs are available starting at ~$170-175 - obviously that still isn't 'affordable' by comparison to most low-mid range options but it seems like people base their pricing off of what smartimports charges and pretend that that's the rrp topre themselves set or something.

it's incredibly easy to get used topre for very cheap in japan too, think perfectly clean 87us around the $110 mark and older standard jis stuff for even less

That justifies the price, but not the value. For me, I just can't justify paying even 110$ if the only thing I'll gain from it is partway actuation, a USB plug and Windows keys.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 05:04:17 »
Yes, Realforce is the dream.  :cool: Good feeling with oneness of cup rubber.

Offline subcat

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 05:31:41 »

That justifies the price, but not the value. For me, I just can't justify paying even 110$ if the only thing I'll gain from it is partway actuation, a USB plug and Windows keys.

if this is in comparison to older dome with slider boards, you also get far better build quality, great keycaps, better options for customisability, a layout that isn't fullsize etc.
but i understand where you're coming from, i know some people are perfectly happy with old scorpius stuff, btc dome w/ slider and so on, but i'd rather pay the extra for the objectively better quality stuff (keycaps, build, switch potential, customisability)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 05:53:25 »

tbh i think the same goes for a lot of people who invest tonnes into alps switches trying to find that perfect NOS switch

True.
current
Coming soon

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 07:17:47 »
also if you're wearing out your abs spacebars in a month i would suggest taking a shower

Keycap wear is a function of frequency of use and one's body chemistry (acid mantle). Showering will do very little in that regard.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:58:45 »
Topre was designed for critical data entry. As such, being a capacitif switch it is immune to chatter — one could argue in that sense that Topre is 'better' than Cherry MX. Otherwise, for everything else, it is a completely subjective matter.
Yes, I agree about Topre and immunity to chatter. I've never experienced chatter with my RF or HHKB. For that matter, I've never experienced chatter with any of my Cherry mx or clone boards. However, I've seen plenty of chatter with various Alps-switch boards. Alps switches are particularly prone to chatter arising from dirty and/or worn switches. Even so, I prefer typing on Alps than on any Cherry mx or clone switch. My overall favorites are Topre and IBM Model F.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:17:41 »
The thing I heavily dislike about Topre is that I have to pay 250 dollars (assuming I'd buy a 104-key board) for a keyboard and another 100 or even more to make it perfect. I mean, for 250+ bucks I'd expect the keyboard to be perfect out of the box. I wouldn't mind much the (probably) mediocre tactility (after all, my CM Lite L is one of the less tactile rubber domes but it's still one of my favorite keyboards to date), but having to silence the keyboard and buy a spacebar that won't wear off in a month.. that's a no.
PBT keycaps are great, but my Compaq RT101 has all-PBT, even the spacebar. IDK how much it costed in 1995, but I bought it used for.. 20 dollars?

Why do you have to do that?  Just buying a silenced one if that's what you want.  Have you actually used a non silenced Topre?  There is a difference but normal Topre is perfectly acceptable in an office environment.  What also doesn't make sense is MX is incredibly loud and you will need to go through the same thing. 

PBT spacebars for Topre are cheap as well...and that's only if you care about the shine...lots of people don't...

And so to get what you want out of MX?  What are you spending?  And if you're comparing it to Compaq..lets be honest, if we want to compare any high end keyboard to any low end keyboard, of course the low end is going to have more value...for 10 dollars you can get a very functional keyboard...What we pay in general for high end keyboards most people would think is a complete waste of money...SO the question is what does that extra quality mean to you and how much are you willing to pay. 

But sounds like to me you haven't tried it or owned it...as the boards don't have mediocre tactility unless you're looking at 30g. 

Offline frydaja

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:41:25 »

if this is in comparison to older dome with slider boards, you also get far better build quality, great keycaps, better options for customisability, a layout that isn't fullsize etc.
but i understand where you're coming from, i know some people are perfectly happy with old scorpius stuff, btc dome w/ slider and so on, but i'd rather pay the extra for the objectively better quality stuff (keycaps, build, switch potential, customisability)

My Compaq already has better-than-average build quality (1.2kg weight, membrane screwed to a thick metal plate, entire keyboard is put together with screws) and PBT keycaps (even the spacebar).

Why do you have to do that?  Just buying a silenced one if that's what you want.  Have you actually used a non silenced Topre?  There is a difference but normal Topre is perfectly acceptable in an office environment.  What also doesn't make sense is MX is incredibly loud and you will need to go through the same thing. 

PBT spacebars for Topre are cheap as well...and that's only if you care about the shine...lots of people don't...

And so to get what you want out of MX?  What are you spending?  And if you're comparing it to Compaq..lets be honest, if we want to compare any high end keyboard to any low end keyboard, of course the low end is going to have more value...for 10 dollars you can get a very functional keyboard...What we pay in general for high end keyboards most people would think is a complete waste of money...SO the question is what does that extra quality mean to you and how much are you willing to pay. 

But sounds like to me you haven't tried it or owned it...as the boards don't have mediocre tactility unless you're looking at 30g.

I never compared Topre to MX. I compared Topre to other rubber dome keyboards I have. And I think those keyboards are similar to Topre, and yet I paid a fraction of the RF104's price.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:46:03 by frydaja »

Offline Polymer

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 02:10:03 »
I never compared Topre to MX. I compared Topre to other rubber dome keyboards I have. And I think those keyboards are similar to Topre, and yet I paid a fraction of the RF104's price.

Have you tried a Topre for more than a few minutes?  They're not the same...

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 02:32:11 »

Normal topre is too loud to my ears. It is way louder than mx.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 03:28:34 »

Not according to db meters...

MX is incredibly loud unless you have a way to silence them..or have silent MX...

Offline _GMK_

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 03:34:54 »

MX is incredibly loud unless you have a way to silence them..or have silent MX...

o-rings work well, and yes, topre is too loud.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 03:44:36 »

o-rings work well, and yes, topre is too loud.

O-rings work..and reduce travel...but that's not any different to modding your topre if that's what you're after.

And factually, according to the DB readings..mx is louder..