Author Topic: TP, please help me understand gaming 4k monitor vs 4k tv  (Read 4802 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
TP, please help me understand gaming 4k monitor vs 4k tv
« on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 13:04:11 »
So why are 4k computer monitors so expensive compared to a 4k tv?? Is it refresh rate?

What about lag vs. 4k??

Is a cheap 1080p 27" monitor better for gaming TP??

Offline Shapey Fiend

Re: TP, please help me understand gaming 4k monitor vs 4k tv
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:23:31 »
I'd like to do this too. Maybe mount the monitor on the wall opposite my desk. Main thing I've gathered is you want to check there's no colour compression cos it'll make the text look bad. Most TV's have a gaming mode that reduces input lag but it tends to turn back on colour compression if it's not using it already.

So to do this right you need a 4k 60hz TV with 4:4:4 (not 4:2:4) and less than 30ms input lag.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 14:41:35 »
kinda semi on topic but not.. really 4k gaming is pointless at this time... the 1080ti can hardly push a 4k resolution at max settings in most games. I would wait least 1-2 generations to get a 4k monitor also at that point they should be matured and come down in price. This is just my opinion though to me I prefer to have lower overall screen resolution while getting better quality graphics. Thats why I run two 1080p monitors.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:31:43 »
The reason monitors have to be smaller,  is because most people use desks against the wall.

If the desk is against the wall, then you can only sit so far away from it,  that ultimately limits how large a monitor could be, before the sides fall outside your field of view.

This is the same as flat keyboards, the general population just doesn't know any better.

-- The correct layout should be the Desk in the MIDDLE of the room, with a 50-75 inch TV against the wall , used as a monitor

The small monitors are priced the same due to price stickiness more so than any technical reason.

I recently got 2 of those bestbuy cheapies $179.99 for 50 inch, 4k, VA-panels,  very good blacks vs ips..

Using them as pc-monitors..

4K computer monitors and 4k tvs TODAY, have the same input lag numerics.

The feature missing from tvs vs gaming monitors, is ULMB and 120hz most of the time. It's missing due to the lack of demand, rather than technical limitation.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:34:35 »
The reason monitors have to be smaller,  is because most people use desks against the wall.

If the desk is against the wall, then you can only sit so far away from it,  that ultimately limits how large a monitor could be, before the sides fall outside your field of view.

This is the same as flat keyboards, the general population just doesn't know any better.

-- The correct layout should be the Desk in the MIDDLE of the room, with a 50-75 inch TV against the wall , used as a monitor

The small monitors are priced the same due to price stickiness more so than any technical reason.

I recently got 2 of those bestbuy cheapies $179.99 for 50 inch, 4k, VA-panels,  very good blacks vs ips..

Using them as pc-monitors..

4K computer monitors and 4k tvs TODAY, have the same input lag numerics.

The feature missing from tvs vs gaming monitors, is ULMB and 120hz most of the time. It's missing due to the lack of demand, rather than technical limitation.

Ok so what about 144Hz, will I be more pro in Street Fighter? I need to blame things other than myself right now..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:39:07 »

Ok so what about 144Hz, will I be more pro in Street Fighter? I need to blame things other than myself right now..

They got 165hz boi..  you are behind.. hahaha

Nawh,  yea I do think gaming monitors are very nice due to the high refresh, it doesn't help you much in street fighter, because visual cues are less important in fighting games vs memorized muscle timings..

Compared with something like an FPS, where visual cues have much more weight..

Overall, if you MUST buy a monitor,   ULMB, at either 120-144-165 hz, doesn't matter, but it has to be at least 120hz ULMB..

That is the most important feature for gaming in general.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:46:39 »

They got 165hz boi..  you are behind.. hahaha

Nawh,  yea I do think gaming monitors are very nice due to the high refresh, it doesn't help you much in street fighter, because visual cues are less important in fighting games vs memorized muscle timings..

Compared with something like an FPS, where visual cues have much more weight..

Overall, if you MUST buy a monitor,   ULMB, at either 120-144-165 hz, doesn't matter, but it has to be at least 120hz ULMB..

That is the most important feature for gaming in general.

LOL, thanks Dr. TP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:52:57 »
kinda semi on topic but not.. really 4k gaming is pointless at this time... the 1080ti can hardly push a 4k resolution at max settings in most games. I would wait least 1-2 generations to get a 4k monitor also at that point they should be matured and come down in price. This is just my opinion though to me I prefer to have lower overall screen resolution while getting better quality graphics. Thats why I run two 1080p monitors.

You an run 2560x1440 and 1920x1080  on a 4k monitor and they'll look very good.

Non native resolutions only look bad if the native resolution is close to the intended resolution.

However,  3840x2160 is MUCH MORE than 2560x1440,  so it resolves fairly well..

There's absolutely no reason to buy a 1080p or 2560x**** monitor if the 4k monitor is in the same price range.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 16:54:27 »
I'd like to do this too. Maybe mount the monitor on the wall opposite my desk. Main thing I've gathered is you want to check there's no colour compression cos it'll make the text look bad. Most TV's have a gaming mode that reduces input lag but it tends to turn back on colour compression if it's not using it already.

So to do this right you need a 4k 60hz TV with 4:4:4 (not 4:2:4) and less than 30ms input lag.

The color compression is getting better these days, but you are correct.

You must have 4:4:4 for PC use..

Also make sure to avoid LG's  RGBW budget series panels, which is Fake-4K..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 02:42:07 »
if i got this monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6D1ITM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CYFHLASFWW3J&colid=35MLPSS5DRXFI would my SLI Radeon 7950 OC's run it or do I need to get a new video card too? I'm thinking more in terms of just normal use + photo editing or art stuff. I know I wont be able to game at 4k with out some new  hardware.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 02:56:24 »
if i got this monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6D1ITM/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CYFHLASFWW3J&colid=35MLPSS5DRXFI would my SLI Radeon 7950 OC's run it or do I need to get a new video card too? I'm thinking more in terms of just normal use + photo editing or art stuff. I know I wont be able to game at 4k with out some new  hardware.

Um..... I don't think the price is worth it...

Because blacks are not so good on ips.. it may be more (realistic) in terms of color grading if it's calibrated to (Match a Reference),  but that's NOT SOMETHING YOU ACTUALLY DO. because matching a reference doesn't necessary mean it will LOOK GOOD..

As, looking good, typically means slightly overblown contrast + crushed black levels.. hahaha..

7950 will push it via displayport fine at 8bit..  But I am not actually sure if it can do 10bit/12bit 4k over displayport, unless the monitor has special provision for that.   I can only tell you I can't get it to do more than 8bit over display port on my 7970 via a converter to hdmi,  But it could be the converter giving me issues.

On the active converter, i can only get 4k/60hz/8bit through displayport to hdmi2.0

In the end, Unless you have WORK RELATED task that MUST have color accuracy, This panel is way overpriced.

It's like buying a $1500 microscope to look at dirt from your back yard, while you're not even a dirt-scientist.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 02:59:31 »

I wouldn't couldn't see why that card couldn't handle every day task. Photo editing is way more CPU intensive then trying to render a graphic vide game. Obviously there zero issue checking email. The card supports the resolutions.. I really can't think of a single reason you need to upgrade. Other then its a really old card! and whelp there is black friday sales coming up "hint hint gtx 1080 ti are just straight 1080.

Also SLI is Nvidia :p there no such thing as a Radeon SLI... There is Crossfire not sure its still a thing thought. Like SLI is kinda being phased out last time I read about it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 03:05:22 »
Also, keep in mind 7950 can not decode 4k uhd movies at all..  it will stutter and drop frames ..

So you need at least a 1050Ti that can OC to 2050mhz.. for madvr uhd 4k output.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 05:42:06 »
I just don't understand why they don't make G-Sync-IPS-1080p gaming monitor. I am prepare to throw money at them, but they just don't make one, not Asus, not Dell. All they have are TN panels, which is not what I wanted. Sure, there is a G-Sync-IPS-1440p but my stupid GTX1060 cannot power it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 06:42:03 »
I just don't understand why they don't make G-Sync-IPS-1080p gaming monitor. I am prepare to throw money at them, but they just don't make one, not Asus, not Dell. All they have are TN panels, which is not what I wanted. Sure, there is a G-Sync-IPS-1440p but my stupid GTX1060 cannot power it.

IPS is for non-serious gamers.

TN has tramendous advantage in response time and motion clarity due to fast pixel transition and low trailing..

TN is really ideal for ULMB as well..

VA has the best blacks , best for movies, //casual gaming

IPS has the best straightforward color vividness,  best for professional work.. //casual gaming

Offline Belfong

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 08:20:30 »
I am casual gamer, that's why I want IPS. Besides, being used to IPS, I don't think I can go back to TN.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 08:28:04 »
I am casual gamer, that's why I want IPS. Besides, being used to IPS, I don't think I can go back to TN.

psssssh... only casuals think like that.. hahahaha

What matters is the goal..

TN is the technology of Champions.. !!

For everything else, there's VA,  which has imho surpassed IPS for casual use..

IPS has very weak contrast..

VA used to be weaker in color, but its caught up significantly, so much so, that there's really no reason to have IPS, unless you have a very specific reference color target for Work-purposes.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 08:52:03 »
yeah the task at hand is color correct photo editing - something i do (less now than a few years ago) for money but not my primary income. There is an extra $200 or so price bump in that monitor in particular for the adobeRGB color space.

This was the other one i had on my radar: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312886-REG/lg_32ud99_w_32_16_9_hdr10.html
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 November 2017, 08:54:52 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 08:56:19 »
yeah the task at hand is color correct photo editing - something i do (less now than a few years ago) for money but not my primary income. There is an extra $200 or so price bump in that monitor in particular for the adobeRGB color space.

This was the other one i had on my radar: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1312886-REG/lg_32ud99_w_32_16_9_hdr10.html

these are all fake-dr monitors..

350nit.. 10 bit .. //Shifty eye.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 09:32:02 »
So maybe not worth it to go up to the 4K then? 1440 is still fine to me... i've been working on the same 24" 1920x1200 for 12 years.  :eek: Use what works.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 12:06:48 »
So maybe not worth it to go up to the 4K then? 1440 is still fine to me... i've been working on the same 24" 1920x1200 for 12 years.  :eek: Use what works.

I'm using 2x u2410 for nonserious..  not h8n'  but,  leaves much to be desired..

Offline atarione

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:35:38 »
alright... this thread is sort of relevant to my interests I have a couple 5+ yrs old Dell U2211H monitors... which are only the 21.5" 1080P @ 60Hz

I have wished I got bigger monitors but I have all my damn speakers to account for so these are as big as I could fit...   I have been considering on BIG 4k monitor w/ the PIP or whatever instead of dual's thoughts???

SPEAKERS STAY so the space on desk stays the same .... needz mah speakers  :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:39:36 »
alright... this thread is sort of relevant to my interests I have a couple 5+ yrs old Dell U2211H monitors... which are only the 21.5" 1080P @ 60Hz

I have wished I got bigger monitors but I have all my damn speakers to account for so these are as big as I could fit...   I have been considering on BIG 4k monitor w/ the PIP or whatever instead of dual's thoughts???

SPEAKERS STAY so the space on desk stays the same .... needz mah speakers  :)

I can't post fotos of my current setup, it's top-secret stuff..

But basic composition is.

2x 50inch Bestbuy Sharp 50 inch VA panels wall mounted.

Separate standing Desk on wheels 1.5-2 meter in front of TVs,  just move forward or back depending on usage.

-For example, sometimes a solidwurkz icon is too small.. I just walk forward with the desk, then walk back.

Most basically, the traditional DESK  is what's holding most people back from ergonomic sized screens..

Ya'll really have to re-think  SPace... now that big screens are available.

Offline atarione

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:55:35 »
my computer room / office is a pretty small bedroom w/ a f*ck Ton of stuff in here.. not a option to mount monitors farther away.. no room for such a config. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 12:24:57 »
my computer room / office is a pretty small bedroom w/ a f*ck Ton of stuff in here.. not a option to mount monitors farther away.. no room for such a config. 

So right now, There's momentum in your mind towards creating space in the middle of the room.

And pushing things towards the Outside.

This is the correct arrangement for a work space , especially for employers or schools, etc where there will be foot traffic.

However, you OWN that home, it's your space, and it's a LOW traffic area.

Therefore,  the Center space is actually thoroughly underutilized in most homes today.

It may look more spacious with the table against the wall from the third person perspective,  but it's actually significantly more cramped to work against-the-wall.   

VS having the main table workspace in the middle,  and Monitors against the wall.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:08:03 »
I'm so on the same page with this. I sit at a desk 50+ hours of the week and if it was facing into a wall I'd crack up. I need to be looking out into the room.

I'll probably renovate my parents house eventually. It's got a ton of problems but the one thing I do like is high ceilings. Yeah it's a bit colder but I get claustraphobic in  modern houses it's like they've cut out all the wasted space so ruthlessly that it feels unnatural.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:10:45 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:14:00 »
I'm so on the same page with this. I sit at a desk 50+ hours of the week and if it was facing into a wall I'd crack up. I need to be looking out into the room.

I'll probably renovate my parents house eventually. It's got a ton of problems but the one thing I do like is high ceilings. Yeah it's a bit colder but I get claustraphobic in  modern houses it's like they've cut out all the wasted space so ruthlessly that it feels unnatural.

Yea, if you go into the high end offices and homes,  kinds we schm0wz can't afford,   they always have the tables facing towards the center and NOT against the wall..

People who own homes like that, HIRE people like us,  make us face the wall, and USE US, so they can pimp out our labor, and build their homes..

Fk them,  we can turn around a table too.. !!  Just not at wurk,  where they own us.  Damnnn

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:16:35 »
TP talking truth to power.

*throws more led strip lighting onto the bonfire*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 19:18:38 »
TP talking truth to power.

*throws more led strip lighting onto the bonfire*

Sigh..... now I'm sad... sigh..................................

ONTOP of all that crap, I'm vegan..  sigh................... can't even die early with heart disease like normal people

missing out on all the hotdogs and chicken nuggetz.

// Probably Gonna go cry myself to sleep later...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:28:56 »
ONTOP of all that crap, I'm vegan..  sigh................... can't even die early with heart disease like normal people

:)) :)) :)) :))