Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet II - LIVE until October 30th  (Read 44588 times)

Offline parablol

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet II
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 10:49:15 »
+1

R3 1u Rub Out sounds fantastic

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 23:27:04 »
Also maybe a second 1u Ctrl and alt in the 40s kit for those of us that don't use arrow cluster?

Offline gnho

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 00:04:56 »
Just run it already... such a classic set

Offline komodo90

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 08:00:12 »
To users more experienced with ortholinears - if somewhere in the future I'd like to get ortho keyboard and equip it with this set, is it feasible? I see 40s extension but not ortho per se, so I'm unsure. What are the considerations? Is it a no-go situation or maybe some compromises in terms of key placement would do the job more or less? I assume symbols kit could help, but it's not my cup of tea :(

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 09:20:42 »
Also maybe a second 1u Ctrl and alt in the 40s kit for those of us that don't use arrow cluster?

+1. Second 1u Ctrl and 1u Alt are also useful for many staggered 40% boards. See this image for some examples.

To users more experienced with ortholinears - if somewhere in the future I'd like to get ortho keyboard and equip it with this set, is it feasible? I see 40s extension but not ortho per se, so I'm unsure. What are the considerations? Is it a no-go situation or maybe some compromises in terms of key placement would do the job more or less? I assume symbols kit could help, but it's not my cup of tea :(

Yeah, you can cover {4u,5u}×{12u,13u,14u,15u} ortho with base + forties.

A Planck (4×12) you can cover fully without compromises if you use arrows. If you don't use arrows, you'll be missing R4 1u Ctrl and R4 1u Alt (as CodeMayhem mentioned above).
You can use End and PgDn for these keys if you don't mind having incorrect legends; or you can use blue spaces for layers, and then use Lower and Raise for the missing keys.

A Preonic (5×12) you can almost cover fully, but you'd be missing R1 1u Back for the default layout; and, again, R4 1u Ctrl and R4 1u Alt if you don't use arrows.
You could use any of the R1 1u keys (Insert, End, Pause, ×...) if you don't mind incorrect legends; or you could use two Delete keys (one on R1, the other on R2) if you don't mind duplicates.

For things like XD75 (5×15), one or two more keys might be missing compared to Preonic's three, but you'll still be able to cover it.

In general, you're already able to cover the most popular variations of these layouts with the current kit. It's just that a few keys that give you more options are missing. Adding R4 1u Ctrl, R4 1u Alt, R1 1u Back would be enough to cover most of that, though. This is something for Oblotzky to consider, if there's room in the kit.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 12:08:38 »

+1. Second 1u Ctrl and 1u Alt are also useful for many staggered 40% boards. See this image for some examples.

Yeah, you can cover {4u,5u}×{12u,13u,14u,15u} ortho with base + forties.

A Planck (4×12) you can cover fully without compromises if you use arrows. If you don't use arrows, you'll be missing R4 1u Ctrl and R4 1u Alt (as CodeMayhem mentioned above).
You can use End and PgDn for these keys if you don't mind having incorrect legends; or you can use blue spaces for layers, and then use Lower and Raise for the missing keys.

A Preonic (5×12) you can almost cover fully, but you'd be missing R1 1u Back for the default layout; and, again, R4 1u Ctrl and R4 1u Alt if you don't use arrows.
You could use any of the R1 1u keys (Insert, End, Pause, ×...) if you don't mind incorrect legends; or you could use two Delete keys (one on R1, the other on R2) if you don't mind duplicates.

For things like XD75 (5×15), one or two more keys might be missing compared to Preonic's three, but you'll still be able to cover it.

In general, you're already able to cover the most popular variations of these layouts with the current kit. It's just that a few keys that give you more options are missing. Adding R4 1u Ctrl, R4 1u Alt, R1 1u Back would be enough to cover most of that, though. This is something for Oblotzky to consider, if there's room in the kit.

Many thanks konstantin, that clears things up for me. I fully support the extension of the set by those few keys, if possible.

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 06:52:02 »
I would say that GMK Space Cadet is my favourite keycap set of all time!  ;D

Looking forward to the GB!  :cool:

Offline komodo90

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 16:54:18 »
Being seriously interested in this set I decided to look back at R1. As a result I have some doubts about the color scheme. What caught my eye were the photos of the actual product shared by the community post-gb. I need to say that colors were significantly off compared to renders renders (shades of blue), and not in the way I like. At the same time I saw no major complains from people who bought it. My observation is that the scheme resembled the real Space Cadet from MIT much closer, which could have been the point all along the way - it's just surprising to me that nobody else said a word about the difference agains renders. That said I have factory calibrated screen, and have compared many pictures to have a better idea.

Anyway - that's the R1.

Now comes R2.
At this point I decided to compare renders from R1 to R2. R2 looks significantly better for me (but, keep in mind, I am not 100% fan of original vintage Space Cadet). In R2 the blue color is slightly more muted, pastel-like, noticably lighter, more sky-blue, less saturated - more pleasant for the eye in case of complete blue set. R1 on the other hand was more vibrant, darker, more saturated - but still not quite as much as the end-product that people received.

So, the question is - given that current R2 renders of Blue Base look lighter, will keycaps turn out to detract even more from renders, as there is no change in actual color shade to be manufactured by GMK and we will get exactly the same thing as in R1? Or has Oblotzky introduced some changes this time?

Below you can find side to side comparison I put together a second ago.
https://imgur.com/a/bZRvGco

For me this is a go/no-go situation. I would not get along well with this very strong, almost oversaturated (by comparison) blue of vintage Space Cadet all throughout the keyboard in Blue Base variant.

If anyone has some thoughts/findings, feel free to share them. Maybe I'm completely wrong here and the pictures just don't do the justice - I don't really know anymore huh  :confused:

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 17:43:35 »
Being seriously interested in this set I decided to look back at R1. As a result I have some doubts about the color scheme. What caught my eye were the photos of the actual product shared by the community post-gb. I need to say that colors were significantly off compared to renders renders (shades of blue), and not in the way I like. At the same time I saw no major complains from people who bought it. My observation is that the scheme resembled the real Space Cadet from MIT much closer, which could have been the point all along the way - it's just surprising to me that nobody else said a word about the difference agains renders. That said I have factory calibrated screen, and have compared many pictures to have a better idea.

Anyway - that's the R1.

Now comes R2.
At this point I decided to compare renders from R1 to R2. R2 looks significantly better for me (but, keep in mind, I am not 100% fan of original vintage Space Cadet). In R2 the blue color is slightly more muted, pastel-like, noticably lighter, more sky-blue, less saturated - more pleasant for the eye in case of complete blue set. R1 on the other hand was more vibrant, darker, more saturated - but still not quite as much as the end-product that people received.

So, the question is - given that current R2 renders of Blue Base look lighter, will keycaps turn out to detract even more from renders, as there is no change in actual color shade to be manufactured by GMK and we will get exactly the same thing as in R1? Or has Oblotzky introduced some changes this time?

For me this is a go/no-go situation. I would not get along well with this very strong, almost oversaturated (by comparison) blue of vintage Space Cadet all throughout the keyboard in Blue Base variant.

If anyone has some thoughts/findings, feel free to share them. Maybe I'm completely wrong here and the pictures just don't do the justice - I don't really know anymore huh  :confused:

You are comparing renders to "amature" photos that are not properly white balanced. They will never match. Renders are just approximations of what the product looks like for marketing purposes. The designers try to get it as close as possible but because of the inherent issue with matching real life materials with CG shaders and artificial lighting, we shouldn't fault the designers too much when they are a little bit off.

R1 of Space Cadet looks really really nice in person and I'm very excited to see R2 happening "soon".
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline komodo90

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 18:16:28 »
You are comparing renders to "amature" photos that are not properly white balanced. They will never match. Renders are just approximations of what the product looks like for marketing purposes. The designers try to get it as close as possible but because of the inherent issue with matching real life materials with CG shaders and artificial lighting, we shouldn't fault the designers too much when they are a little bit off.

R1 of Space Cadet looks really really nice in person and I'm very excited to see R2 happening "soon".

First and foremost, by no means I intend to fault or blame any of the creators. It's just me trying to get better understanding of how much can one rely on renders. That may be a valuable lesson for me and others. Moreover, potential findings could be generalised for most of the projects here.

I have no doubts that R1 Space Cadet was a beautiful product, especially seeing it's high praise myself. It's just about objective benchmark and theoretical dispute.

Of course, what you pointed out is a legitimate concern - how far can you trust pictures taken in completely random lighting conditions, without any kind of referential setup, color correction, etc.

Still, don't you have an impression that having seen not one, but at least a few photos of any given object, your mind will be able to compensate enough to get at least rough idea?

That was my stand point. I take a fairly big margin, sure. But even then I can't imagine actual keycaps to follow blue accents presented on renders (which are also an approximation, point noted). The real colors are just of different tone, more zealous. On the other hand they do seem to resemble vintage SC pretty well. This is a bit of a conundrum, as it proves the reference can be made, but not necessarily with the renders.

What provoked my questions is the fact that current IC contains pictures with even more muted blue shade. If anything one could expect the opposite, It just begs the question whether it is intentional this time, or how much of it falls into shaders/rendering shortcomings category.

Being a tiny bit familiar with whole color matching idea - but from DTP standpoint, where CMYK, inks, printers kick in - I assume that as long as we are in RGB territory (being an additive color model) designers have the tools to compensate a bit more precisely than what I pointed out.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 20:54:39 »

Anyway - that's the R1.

Now comes R2.

Have you noticed that your pictures do not match in between them? You are doing assumptions on computer renders.

You should wait for the sample phase of the GB to let the OP to publish some pictures of the pre-production product. From there some fine tunning may be applied.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 21:10:57 »

Anyway - that's the R1.

Now comes R2.

The color temperature differences you are seeing are due to discrepancies in camera white balance and render scene lighting. If you like the way that the final colors in R1 turned out, then judge based off of that. The blue and gray being used are matched to SP BFP and GD that were used in SA Round 6 by 7Bit (https://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_6).

This is a picture of color samples from R1 matched next to Round 6.

https://i.imgur.com/VjinTOa.jpg

And here is a picture of Round 6 on a board.

https://i.imgur.com/Guvhbzd.jpg

If you don't like this colorway, then this set probably isn't for you, I'm afraid.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 07:45:06 »

Anyway - that's the R1.

Now comes R2.

The color temperature differences you are seeing are due to discrepancies in camera white balance and render scene lighting. If you like the way that the final colors in R1 turned out, then judge based off of that. The blue and gray being used are matched to SP BFP and GD that were used in SA Round 6 by 7Bit (https://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_6).

This is a picture of color samples from R1 matched next to Round 6.

https://i.imgur.com/VjinTOa.jpg

And here is a picture of Round 6 on a board.

https://i.imgur.com/Guvhbzd.jpg

If you don't like this colorway, then this set probably isn't for you, I'm afraid.

Those spherical DS caps have a special flavor, that cannot be reproduced on Cherry. Nice pictures.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:35:33 »

Those spherical DS caps have a special flavor, that cannot be reproduced on Cherry. Nice pictures.

I know! I have Symbioses R2 and it's the most beautiful set that I never use (mostly just because I need to actually build a board for it).

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 13:21:30 »
Agreed!

There is something about this gray/blue that I just love! And the sublegends are :ok_hand:

250775-0
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline komodo90

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 13:22:46 »
Appreciate every opinion on the matter. Seems like I'm about to have really hard time deciding ; )

So, render-vs-reality topic aside, but focusing on difference in R1 and R2 renders (which are clearly lighter and more muted) - is it reasonable to expect that to translate to actual change in color scheme compared to previous run? Or was there a statement already that colors remain exactly as they were previously?

Offline sickleboom

• 12keyboards @ Instagram
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 14:28:55 »
Nice! I missed out on the first round so I'm definitely in on this  :))

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 15:18:59 »
Appreciate every opinion on the matter. Seems like I'm about to have really hard time deciding ; )

So, render-vs-reality topic aside, but focusing on difference in R1 and R2 renders (which are clearly lighter and more muted) - is it reasonable to expect that to translate to actual change in color scheme compared to previous run? Or was there a statement already that colors remain exactly as they were previously?

From the op:

"Custom colors, matched to BFP, GD and WCK from Signature Plastics. Also black."

BFP and GD are the blue and gray, respectively, used in R1 as well as SA Round 6 and SA Symbiosis. R1 of space cadet used WFK I believe for the white legends, but I may be wrong. Actually the white was also a custom color too. So yes, the colors are the same.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 16:32:18 by Ensaum »

Offline komodo90

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 18:59:05 »

From the op:

"Custom colors, matched to BFP, GD and WCK from Signature Plastics. Also black."

BFP and GD are the blue and gray, respectively, used in R1 as well as SA Round 6 and SA Symbiosis. R1 of space cadet used WFK I believe for the white legends, but I may be wrong. Actually the white was also a custom color too. So yes, the colors are the same.

Thank you kind sir! I stumbled upon this information but as a newbie I couldn't connect the dots.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 19:12:37 by komodo90 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 19:24:45 »
Agreed!

There is something about this gray/blue that I just love! And the sublegends are :ok_hand:

(Attachment Link)

That's a sexy keyboard. How's your thumbs are doing with it? I have read about some pain caused by ergodox's position for the thumb activated key caps.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 09:28:36 »
Yes please  :)
Edit: Should also say that I appreciate the 40s kit!

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 11:18:40 »
There are several new 40s being developed with 1.75u backspace please add it to the 40s kit

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 03:47:09 »

Production will be using the exact same plastic as Round 1, no change here. The difference in render is simply me having learned a lot in the past 2 years and using a different HDRI environment (different environment light) in the 3D scene now.

Offline kyungpil park

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 18:16:41 »
Gray color is same with Oblivion alpha gray?

Offline zzzxc

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 04:31:42 »
Any chance of (re)including the Row 2 parentheses keys?  Could make a perfect addition for the "True Cadet" kit

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 15:50:57 »

there is a very slight difference between oblivion alpha grey and space cadet grey

space cadet top, oblivion bottom:
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2020, 23:57:27 by OtherAndrew »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 17:39:50 »
Is it intentional that blue base offers basic ISO support, but the gray/blue base does not?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 04:12:28 »

there is a very slight difference between oblivion alpha grey and space cadet grey

Show Image

The Base color is the same, the Legend color is beige for Oblivion, off-white for Space Cadet.

Is it intentional that blue base offers basic ISO support, but the gray/blue base does not?

Correct, because the Classic Base is accompanied by a full International kit covering German, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish and British layouts, while I didn't see the same kit viable for the Blue Base so I opted to include British ISO in it only.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 09:55:39 »

I have two questions. I apologize if they have been answered already:

1. Should the true cadet modifiers be included in the base set? Real cadet mods belong to a Cadet set, so why split the features of it into different groups.
2. Why is there no 6u space bar included? This bar is required to populate Cherry 1800 keyboards.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 11:49:49 »

Show Image

The Base color is the same, the Legend color is beige for Oblivion, off-white for Space Cadet.

I've got the two sets on front of me and I'm fairly convinced that they're different colors. I get that they're supposed to be the same color but it really doesn't look like it on my sets (I have oblivion v2)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 05:27:07 »

I have two questions. I apologize if they have been answered already:

1. Should the true cadet modifiers be included in the base set? Real cadet mods belong to a Cadet set, so why split the features of it into different groups.
2. Why is there no 6u space bar included? This bar is required to populate Cherry 1800 keyboards.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1. The all white modifier legends version is more popular, and I think the kit works out great this way also adding the R5 bottom profile.
2. GMK Oblivion V2 sold 128 6u Spacebar kits for over 3000 Base kits. I don't want to add 2 of them for each colorway to each base kit, and as a standalone kit they won't hit MOQ as I don't expect this round to sell as many base kits in total.

-----------------

Deskmats designed by OutragedPudding will be available!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 08:02:58 »
Thank you for the answers.

Offline zzzxc

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:34:54 »
Any chance of (re)including the Row 2 parentheses keys?  Could make a perfect addition for the "True Cadet" kit

Show Image

I get that they are keys left behind by history and forgotten by the scancodes but I'll commit to any set that includes them!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2020, 08:17:37 by zzzxc »

Offline AlexCore89

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 11:24:38 »
Gray mods would be enticing for R1 owners.  Could build an all gray set or mix them in with Crimson Cadet.  The gray in this set is one of the best out there. 

Cadet 4Lyfe

(Attachment Link)

That looks awesome! Where did you get the white Space Cadet Alphas or are they from a different GMK set?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2020, 11:28:54 by AlexCore89 »

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 11:28:29 »
That looks awesome! Where did you get the white Space Cadet Alphas or are they from a different GMK set?

GMK Carbon Cadet. It was an add-on kit offered with the last run of GMK Carbon.

Just like Carbon itself, the keys are much more cream colored than white.

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 11:38:42 »
We love some Space Cadet

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 19:26:24 »
So I was looking at my GMK Space Cadet recently and noticed that the "I" novelty is wayy off center:

Upon closer inspection of the other roman numeral novelties, it appears they are all slightly off center to the right.

Any chance we can get these fixed for this run, or is it not worth paying for new molds?

Offline Dr-lipschitz

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 20:47:54 »
looks interesting for sure
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2020, 20:55:28 by Dr-lipschitz »

Offline MIXO Cables

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:50:47 »
prefer the one without grey colour, nice legends as well

Offline econeuler

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 15:28:13 »
Will there be no Colemak support for R2?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:59:09 »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 09:26:15 »

Massdrop still hasn't sold all the extras of those:
https://mechkeys.drop.com/collections/keycap-sets/products/massdrop-x-oblotzky-gmk-space-cadet-keycap-set-66216

This. I don't want to offer a kit that will have to be bought out by vendors to hit MOQ only to be left sitting on them for years to come. Since I vendor in the EU, I use my own capital to buy out International kits already and bundle them up with base kits to ensure I'm not left with leftovers. But I can't do the same for a second kit, and I don't want to burden other vendors with that hassle, I'd rather they just buy more base extras with their money.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 11:26:28 »

https://mechkeys.drop.com/collections/keycap-sets/products/massdrop-x-oblotzky-gmk-space-cadet-keycap-set-66216

That is geat news for me, thank you!

This. I don't want to offer a kit that will have to be bought out by vendors to hit MOQ only to be left sitting on them for years to come. Since I vendor in the EU, I use my own capital to buy out International kits already and bundle them up with base kits to ensure I'm not left with leftovers. But I can't do the same for a second kit, and I don't want to burden other vendors with that hassle, I'd rather they just buy more base extras with their money.

Ah I see, thank you for the clarification, I didn't know that! And glad to see that it is still available on Drop:)

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 12:12:45 »
any mod colored tilde avail?

Offline lysistrata

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 11:37:14 »
I'm in! Looking forward to the kits

Offline ISOxSwap

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 12:28:32 »
Can we get an international in blue pls!?!?!? =)

Offline Alpha_Icarus

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 18:41:25 »
i love it - maybe ill mash together my cadet sets

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 03:40:08 »
Can we get an international in blue pls!?!?!? =)

I'm afraid not. I'm already committed on pushing the Gray one to MOQ if needed, I can't take chances and risk of having to do the same for the blue version as well, so it'll have to be just UK-ISO.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 10:38:18 »
I have 2 requests:

1) bring back the 40bit kit

2) put a R3 thumbs up in the symbols kit

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #149 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 15:24:12 »
Love the set, I'm definitely in but would really like a grey modifier kit as well.