Author Topic: [GB] KAT Refined *** FIRST SETS DELIVERED ***  (Read 165586 times)

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
Re: [GB] KAT Refined
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 03:45:28 »
No news regarding the new samples yet, hoping to recieve them very soon though since its been a few weeks from the last batch.

Offline MS85

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 09:27:29 »
No news regarding the new samples yet, hoping to recieve them very soon though since its been a few weeks from the last batch.

Thanks for the update :-)

Offline strongly-typed

• lux et veritas
    • Github
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 14:11:55 »
I don't know anything about the manufacturing process here, but like, how can it possibly take so long to make this? What kind of bottlenecks exist in the pipeline? I'm just asking for curiosity's sake.
Realforce 87U 45g Silent :: Realforce 87U 30g Silent :: Realforce R2 55g :: Niz Plum 87 with 45g topre domes
English | Spanish | Italian | Latin | Portuguese | Mandarin | Cantonese | Japanese | Welsh | OCaml

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 15:29:00 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2021, 01:40:04 by Mecxs »

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 14:14:12 »
I have asked for a status report on the new samples but have not heard back yet. Will let you guys know as soon as I hear something. Sorry for the bad news.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 17:49:59 »
I have asked for a status report on the new samples but have not heard back yet. Will let you guys know as soon as I hear something. Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the update. I know it's not your fault. Keyreactive is getting a little ridiculous at this point, with the lack of communication with you. I hope you hear somthing soon.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 13:16:21 »
Not sure if it was asked already, is KAT Refined still dye-sub or it changed to doubleshot like some other KAT sets?

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 13:26:22 »
Not sure if it was asked already, is KAT Refined still dye-sub or it changed to doubleshot like some other KAT sets?

I think I asked above. Can't remember. Lol

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #208 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 14:51:52 »
As far as I know, there is no intention to move into doubleshot at this point.
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #209 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 14:03:52 »
New samples came in today. I have not had the time to properly study them but from the two checks I did I can see that the improvement is big from last time. The only thing I can see right now is that BoW and WoB have slightly different padding around the legends. It is not ideal, but if this is the only issue then I would say it is passable. I am honestly not sure how close to perfection we can get them with the dye sub process. This might be it.

Oh, we are also next in line for production should the samples be approved. We're close! Thanks for hanging in there  :thumb:

Offline NibbledPots

« Reply #210 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 15:57:12 »
New samples came in today. I have not had the time to properly study them but from the two checks I did I can see that the improvement is big from last time. The only thing I can see right now is that BoW and WoB have slightly different padding around the legends. It is not ideal, but if this is the only issue then I would say it is passable. I am honestly not sure how close to perfection we can get them with the dye sub process. This might be it.

Oh, we are also next in line for production should the samples be approved. We're close! Thanks for hanging in there  :thumb:

thanks for the update!

Offline kidpid

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 05 December 2021, 10:58:19 »

I'd be interested to see how mods of one look adjacent to alphas of another with the padding difference seeing as this would be the most prevalent case of people using both WoB and BoW on the same board.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 01:51:05 »
Hi all!

With the last samples I received this week it looked a whole lot better than the last batch but there were still some issues with alignment that I highlighted to Keyreative. They got back to me and told me that there is only so much they can do with prototype samples since it is a different process than the actual production process. The misalignments will always be there and more pronounced in prototypes.

I could do sample rounds in all eternity without seeing a perfect version that I would be happy with so the question is if it is worth it. Me spending another year from now doing sample rounds does not equal a better outcome. Instead I will be receving samples from the production while it is happening to make sure that they are as good as they can be before being packaged and sent out to you all.

So with that being said it looks like we are finally ready to enter production. I am waiting for a start date (probably mid January) and will update you all when it started.

I hope you understand my position. I don't want to waste more of your time but would rather do my best to make sure the production is as friction free as possible because that is the only thing that matters.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 03:14:44 by MacSurfy »

Offline Rico

Re: [GB] KAT Refined *** PRODUCTION UPDATE ***
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 02:59:12 »
Thank you very much for your feedback, and your efforts to make the best set possible.
Given the time you took to ask for samples and inspect them I am pretty sure that they will come good during the production process.

Also due to the dye sublimation process we may all expect some slight misalignments here and there as it is quite unavoidable.
Now some people can't stand that fact, others go along pretty well with it (as I do).

Already received in the past Kat Arctic and Kam Wraith from keyreative and I've been very happy of the result.
I have no doubt that your keyset will also be great ;)

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 03:39:23 »
Bedankt, Surfy! Sounds good. I mean, of course we want our little plastic pieces to be absolutely perfect, but at some point, one needs to settle for whats realistic. I'd rather have a set at 90% in a few months (with misalignments and imperfections I'll stop seeing after like 5 minutes) than a perfect one in five years.
Well, good luck moving forward!
Best,
Johannes

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 06:43:53 »
Good call! Thanks for the hard work MacSurfy!

Offline pott

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 12:25:39 »
The position you took seems reasonable to me. Thanks for the update.
About my ask earlier; for some reason I was convinced Refined had also been 'volunteered' for doubleshot production. Looks like not and it's moving to prod in dye-sub, which I'm happy about.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 21:22:26 »
They got back to me and told me that there is only so much they can do with prototype samples since it is a different process than the actual production process. The misalignments will always be there and more pronounced in prototypes.

I mean, if Keyreative themselves are telling you there won’t be any more improvements through the sample process, there’s not much you can do on your end. I’d be curious to know why their sample production differs from the final product (more manual placement of legends vs. machine, maybe?) but definitely the correct decision on your part. Thank you for being so transparent about the process!

“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 00:30:48 »
Sorry for thread bump but I'd be curious what your thoughts are on this recent update from Cannonkeys. If there really are benefits to going double shot over Dye sub.

That said, it's just a curiosity and I'm in full support of the plan you outlined in recent posts.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Sidenote

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 10:55:23 »
Hi, is it possible to see photos of the samples they sent for transparency?

Thanks

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 13:16:06 »

Thanks

This tbh.

Is it possible for the vendors to offer refunds at this point? This wait has gone on too long.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 04:34:40 »

Thanks

This tbh.

Is it possible for the vendors to offer refunds at this point? This wait has gone on too long.

better to ask the vendor

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 06:47:05 »

Thanks

This tbh.

better to ask the vendor

I did. Days ago. No response. And of course TXKeyboards has changed their name, or changed hands, to Mekibo.

Offline mrvco

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 22:36:31 »

Thanks

Would be nice to see something, select keycaps without the alignment issues is a-ok.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 11:58:30 »

Thanks

Would be nice to see something, select keycaps without the alignment issues is a-ok.

Photos will come a little bit later.. 8-10 days or so.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 12:18:44 »
like others have said, KAT typing feel is great but holy **** they cant produce a single set without issues. better off just using a sharpie and writing legends on blanks.

glad i started sitting KAT out early and only have 1 more set to deal with this non sense.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 12:34:43 »
like others have said, KAT typing feel is great but holy **** they cant produce a single set without issues. better off just using a sharpie and writing legends on blanks.

glad i started sitting KAT out early and only have 1 more set to deal with this non sense.

I know the feeling. I wish they would have gotten their ish together before they started producing keycaps.

Offline nightgyr

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 12:51:56 »
- samples were just approved? After more than a year of bouncing back and forth of prototypes?

I have a few questions, if you dont mind me asking,

- so how long more are we expected to wait? (q1 - q2 2022?)
-Can someone explain to me why does it take more than 12 months to review multiple rounds of samples? (were the samples shipped by sea mail?) Please help me understand. I'm just a layman.
-Is there some sort of communication problem/issue?
-Is Keyreative (or said company) extremely backed up with production?

I understand that GBs need time, but waiting 14 months (paid in Oct 2020), plus say another 3-4 months (possibly)  - with a total of up to 18 months for a GB from end-GB to customer is kind of ridiculous.
Patience in this hobby is surely a virtue, but holy, waiting up to nearly 2 years is kind of crazy (think GMK Masterpiece).

I'm sure many of us are in the same boat, with many GBs (both GMK, KAT and others) bought in 2020 but didn't get anything in 2021.
I apologize for venting my frustration, but this major lag time has put a serious dampener on the mech hobby (for me at least).

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 13:23:38 »
There are lots of posts by Macsurfy in this thread expressing his frustration with Keyreative's poor (or non) communication.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 December 2021, 11:31:16 by thechemtrailkid »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 14:27:23 »
MacSurfy, I want to apologize to you if my comments have come off the wrong way. None of them are directed at you and I really appreciate what you’ve done to make this possible. Our real frustration is directed at Keyreactive. I hope, in the end, that this buy finishes successfully and buyers can receive quality keycaps. We appreciate your enormous patience with the manufacturer. Not many of us could tolerate the way they conduct their business.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 05:56:16 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2023, 05:38:00 by Diggidy »

Offline Sidenote

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 12:35:30 »

Thanks

Photos will come a little bit later.. 8-10 days or so.

Thank you! I'm not mad or upset or anything, I recognize that KAT has been a bit flakey. They struck gold with their profile, then dropped the ball when people took interest. I totally put this set on the back burner and forgot about it, and I feel like seeing some photos might reignite my spark of excitement for the set, like its actually really happening.

Offline doubleotwo

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 15:12:40 »
Im very sorry to ask a stupid question here. With all rules in all fora I'm always afraid to just ask it even....

But here goes :D

What would be the best way of getting an extra spacebar kit, I bought the base kit via candykeys europe.
Do I contact them or who ?

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 16:06:39 »

Thanks

This tbh.

Some of the other vendors have already offered refunds for KAT group buys, including Cannonkeys. While, I am sure it was difficult to manage, I think offering those refunds was a very good thing... TX Keyboards, that is now Mekibo has made no such offering, or has even hinted that they would be willing to (as far as I am aware). If you look at Mekibo's "Group Buy Policy" page on their webiste, it explicitly states that there will be NO refunds outside of the group buy period. Once the group buy ends, that is the end of any refund requests. It might be worth emailing them and asking about it, because you never know; but with the website changing from TX Keyboards to Mekibo, that just makes me assume that refunds from the previous TX Keyboards US website are most likely not possible. Like I said though, it is certainly worth a shot!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 16:23:13 »
i've seen some images of new(er) KAT sets that show a nice deep black for pbt. hoping that may be available for this set. and i've gone from initial excitement to thinking i'll sell this immediately to "oh yeah, that's why i want to try KAT."

:keepingthefaith:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 07:23:30 »

Thanks

This tbh.

Some of the other vendors have already offered refunds for KAT group buys, including Cannonkeys. While, I am sure it was difficult to manage, I think offering those refunds was a very good thing... TX Keyboards, that is now Mekibo has made no such offering, or has even hinted that they would be willing to (as far as I am aware). If you look at Mekibo's "Group Buy Policy" page on their webiste, it explicitly states that there will be NO refunds outside of the group buy period. Once the group buy ends, that is the end of any refund requests. It might be worth emailing them and asking about it, because you never know; but with the website changing from TX Keyboards to Mekibo, that just makes me assume that refunds from the previous TX Keyboards US website are most likely not possible. Like I said though, it is certainly worth a shot!

Try it. I requested a refund through Mekibo and got it a few days later.

Offline popkorn62

• No keyboards for old men
    • Mekibo
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 15:49:54 »
Changing the name from TX Keyboards to Mekibo has no effect whatsoever on the old groupbuys (as stated on our website). With that being said, we have sent out the email to KAT Mono this week and already scheduled the same email for the KAT Refined this Sunday. We do it in batches for easier management.
==============
https://mekibo.com/

Offline gridds

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 24 December 2021, 08:25:32 »
Are you saying that Mekibo will be offering a refund option?

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 13:56:25 »
Are you saying that Mekibo will be offering a refund option?

I just got an email from Mekibo, with an update on KAT Refined. They are offering refunds for group buy participants.

Offline bamblerow

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 18:28:51 »
Sadly the refund option expires the 29th, would love to see the photos of the latest samples before that ends.

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #240 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 19:00:39 »
An image from the Discord server:

It is worth noting, however, that Keyreative has advised that they will continue to generate production samples as the process continues, so this batch is not a final round of samples. For this reason, choosing to cancel based on the last round of samples is, essentially, meaningless. I believe Mekibo is offering the option because some people have expressed frustration with the wait time. Since the production order has presumably already been placed with Keyreative, it's likely that canceled orders are just going to be added to the Mekibo extras pool. Which will ultimately be sold at a higher price after the GB orders are shipped. Cancelling may get you your money back now, but I imagine it will end up costing you more when you get the urge to grab extras later.

Offline bombay.duck

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 19:48:41 »
Show Image

It is worth noting, however, that Keyreative has advised that they will continue to generate production samples as the process continues, so this batch is not a final round of samples. For this reason, choosing to cancel based on the last round of samples is, essentially, meaningless. I believe Mekibo is offering the option because some people have expressed frustration with the wait time. Since the production order has presumably already been placed with Keyreative, it's likely that canceled orders are just going to be added to the Mekibo extras pool. Which will ultimately be sold at a higher price after the GB orders are shipped. Cancelling may get you your money back now, but I imagine it will end up costing you more when you get the urge to grab extras later.

Fact. Well said. Unless they need the money back, folks are almost better off waiting and selling at extras cost themselves. Maybe that difference pays for your patience eventually.

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 21:37:00 »
B-stock Kailh Box Jades cracked the stems on my KAT keycaps. Shouldn't have surprised me. I kind of forgot they were b-stock.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 10:45:59 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2023, 05:38:30 by Diggidy »

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #244 on: Tue, 28 December 2021, 11:57:05 »
MyKeyboard.eu

Looks like it was initially linked in the IC, but the link didn't make this thread.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #245 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 05:03:58 »
Show Image

Fact. Well said. Unless they need the money back, folks are almost better off waiting and selling at extras cost themselves. Maybe that difference pays for your patience eventually.

**** that noise, if an option to cancel and refund is available take it. I have no horse in this race but getting a full refund is basic smart pro-consumer moves, do not waste your time on trying to sell it yourself based on advice from a retailer that wants to keep your money due to being a business.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 13:56:22 »
Hey guys, just came home from my xmas vacay, I will post more photos for you guys tomorrow if that helps in your decision.

Sorry this journey was not smoother for you guys but I am personally very happy that we finally have a slot to go in to production in roughly two weeks.

Cheers!

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 15:19:52 »
Is there any way to confirm whether the production caps will have the original KAT profile? Or the changed profile being shown with early recipients of KAT Cyberspace? 

I sent in my cancellation order today because I am quite concerned that the profile could be changed without any notice.  That's too big of a risk IMO, but if there's a way to confirm the original profile, I may have a few days to "un-cancel" my order with Mekibo. 

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 18:26:27 »
I will post more photos for you guys tomorrow if that helps in your decision.

Deadline for refund is today though?

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 22:50:44 »
Is there any way to confirm whether the production caps will have the original KAT profile? Or the changed profile being shown with early recipients of KAT Cyberspace? 
The recent samples for Refined have reinforced stems, which is a sign that they’re using the new molds/changed profile. Black reverse dyesub really needs reinforced stems to prevent warping, so I don’t think it’s something that can be changed. If it bothers you, cancelling seems like a good idea (unfortunately :().
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”