Author Topic: Browser help on TV  (Read 4362 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Browser help on TV
« on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 18:59:22 »
I recently bought a new 4K Samsung TV (basic 42" model) and I hooked it up to my old computer (for reasons, mostly watching various video files, films, etc).

When I call up Firefox, it comes up much larger than the screen no matter what I do. I can't even grab the corners to pull it in, and F11 just toggles between being somewhat too large and far too large. Control plus and minus make the middle parts shrink and expand but do not change the frame itself of the browser.

Any suggestions on how I can get a handle (not a pun) on this?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Browser help on TV
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:20:26 »
I'm assuming anything full screen is too big not just Firefox.  If it is just one program you'll need someone who uses Windows and that's not me!

Sounds like it thinks the TV is taller than it is so you need to change the resolution for that 'monitor'.  I think it's right click on the desktop then personalise but if you're in windows 10 they might have changed it again, for reasons...

Also possibly relevant - what cable are you using to connect it?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:41:28 »
No, other stuff like programs and Windows Explorer work fine. I am using an HDMI-D cable, the video card is a Radeon 6450 and does not have a straight HDMI socket.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 20:47:12 »
can probably use Win+left/right to anchor the window to the screen, and then drag the titlebar afterwards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:51:05 »
You need to disable _Overscan_

Which model is it.

Are you in PC mode. ?

Have you purchased a colorimeter yet for MAXIMUM Awesome.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:24:02 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:54:39 »
Thanks, but it is never as easy as it seems.

I went through the usual steps and found what I need, "Fit to Screen" in the picture menu, but it is grayed out!

Why do they do that? I would rather not even be teased by something that they aren't actually going to give me!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:34:40 »
Thanks, but it is never as easy as it seems.

I went through the usual steps and found what I need, "Fit to Screen" in the picture menu, but it is grayed out!

Why do they do that? I would rather not even be teased by something that they aren't actually going to give me!

Set it to PC mode first.  Then check your GPU settings, it may also have overscan enabled. Make sure you're outputting native resolution.

Wait, nm, the 6450 will only support up to 1920x1200 in hdmi mode, so you need to set it to 1920x1080 60hz, 444 RGB FULL.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:27:06 »
Thanks guys. That worked to some degree, it is manageable now but still a kludge. For some reason Firefox is obstreperous and does not want to behave as well as the other programs do.

Off-topic, it looks like Microsoft has released a new Windows flavor. Is there any rush to jump on board?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:51:09 »
Thanks guys. That worked to some degree, it is manageable now but still a kludge. For some reason Firefox is obstreperous and does not want to behave as well as the other programs do.

Off-topic, it looks like Microsoft has released a new Windows flavor. Is there any rush to jump on board?

I have never heard of this happening. If overscan settings are correct, all programs should work no differently than they would with a regular monitor. There must be something missing. I wish both tv manufacturers and the writers of graphics card software would make these things more forthcoming.

I don't even follow Windows updates. If I could still use the latest versions of programs, and especially DirectX, I would probably still be using Windows Xp. The menus were layed out perfectly to the point that I could guess where something was, and that's exactly where it would be, and it was lightweight and snappy. I used to even strip out a bunch of features that were practically useless to me in XP to get it running ridiculously well on hardware with half of the minimum required resources. There's very little of utility that's come since, and what has is something that could always be done by other means anyway.