Author Topic: 【IC】New layout keyboard idea Update! 02.09.2016  (Read 14962 times)

Offline miya

【IC】New layout keyboard idea Update! 02.09.2016
« on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 11:33:05 »
Hi Guys!

Miya is back haha. BTW, becoz I'm not working for var** anymore, so I cannot help you guys for people who want to get one, very sorry about that.

And I just want to do IC for following questions:

1. What kind of keyboard layout you guys are interesting with? Or do you have any new ideas for keyboard layout?

2. What kind of case materials you prefer? (metal or acrylic) And then please show me your ideal keyboard profile if you have.

3. Which is your most wanted keycaps to put on the keyboard? (brand & color)

4. Do you think only double-shot keycaps is significant for the RGB lighting effect? or it's doesn't matter.

Please sharing your idea in here if you can and we will see what we can do next. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 11:36:38 by miya »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: 【IC】New layout keyboard idea
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 12:08:19 »
  • I personally like HHKB, but at the same time 75%.
  • Aluminum. 8 degrees rocks my world.
  • GMK Hyperfuse or a black on black PBT/dyesub set.
  • I don't like/use LEDs, so doesn't matter.
Glad to see you're working on other stuff :p

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 12:11:04 »
I don't think that this is how a IC works, but hey.

1. What kind of keyboard layout you guys are interesting with? Or do you have any new ideas for keyboard layout?

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/835f3e86435bf751f0ebc6b012cf7cb8

This is something I came up with, it's basically a 1800 chopped off above the numrow, without the weird spacing around the arrows and with a split spacebar setup that is compatible with all sets that have a WKL addon.

2. What kind of case materials you prefer? (metal or acrylic) And then please show me your ideal keyboard profile if you have.

Both materials are fine and can be used to build a stable case, it's more about quality than actual materials for me. I like some lower angle 6-8°, you can always add some feet to get more angle afterwards.

Color is way too subjective for such a question, but I love lime green as an accent. Definitely Cherry profile though. My endgame would be PBT Dolch with lime green legends! (a man can have his dreams :'()

4. Do you think only double-shot keycaps is significant for the RGB lighting effect? or it's doesn't matter.

I think a nice underglow can be really stylish. But we need some nice, high quality backlight compatible keycaps on the market.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 12:27:18 »

This is something I came up with, it's basically a 1800 chopped off above the numrow, without the weird spacing around the arrows and with a split spacebar setup that is compatible with all sets that have a WKL addon.

So basically a ZZ96/AMJ96/RS96 with split spacebar support? That could be pretty cool!

+1 for 75%, but for the keyboard incline I prefer 7.5132 deg  :p
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 13:24:32 »

So basically a ZZ96/AMJ96/RS96 with split spacebar support?

Not quite, the 96 layouts are 6 rows tall while my idea is only 5 rows tall like 60%'s.

But 96 layouts with split spacebar support would also be really nice.

Offline Edde

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:27:37 »
1. I threw together this layout a few days ago, ignore the swedish
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4
The idea is that the right hand will have to travel less when using the mouse but you still have a numpad for it, I'm guessing it's also slightly more ergonomic because of the distance. Not so original I guess, just an idea I had.
2. Aluminium, I don't know about profile
3. Blanks, preferably GMK or SP
4. I don't use LED, so IDK
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 16:31:26 by Edde »

Offline Anole

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:31:19 »
Miya, why don't you work for Varmilo anymore?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:34:14 »

So basically a ZZ96/AMJ96/RS96 with split spacebar support?

Not quite, the 96 layouts are 6 rows tall while my idea is only 5 rows tall like 60%'s.

But 96 layouts with split spacebar support would also be really nice.

I see it now, the blank board without legends confused me! I guess now it looks more like the TK78 with merged arrow keys and split space  :D
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Data

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 14:53:26 »
75% or TKL

ANSI 125

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 15:02:13 »
All new keyboards should have split space bars.

Keycap makers need to start making more keys for the bottom row in Space Bar profile: both short space bars and 1.5u or 1.25u keys that are used for operators.
The arrow keys should preferably be in row A profile.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:52:01 »
75% would be awesome.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:01:31 »
1. HHKB layout is absolutely my fav.  I guess if there was this plus arrow keys it would be better (for me).  I love having the CTRL to replace Caps Lock and I much prefer backspace directly above the enter key.

2. any... I think sandwich style with acrylic in the middle is cool.

3. 1976 SA keycaps... I missed out on this buy :/

4. doesn't matter to me.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 09:09:18 »
1. 75% which is doesnt cost $400 up

2. Aluminum would be nice but then it would cost high, plastic/acrylic case with a sturdy Aluminum plate that supports removable top switch would be nice

3. Cherry Profile beige like TADA's hehe

4. no to RGB.

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 August 2016, 09:18:04 by potatobot »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 09:49:06 »
1. HHKB, it's the one layout I've never tried and that I'd really want to experiment with.

2. Acrylic can look cool if done properly but my preference would be colourful aluminium (purple, neon yellow/pink, lime green, baby blue, something like that).

3. Any (or none) as long as they don't make the board much more expensive - if I had to choose out of sets available right now, DCS Midnight or SA Jukebox.

4. Don't care for LEDs at all. Whites are cool, RBG pls no.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 10:30:04 »
Nice to see you are back, Miya  :D

1 - TKL
2 - Aluminum, maybe with an acrylic diffuser or underlight
3 - Anything thick with cherry profile or spherical (DSA, SA). Dont care about colors, but legend should be doubleshot or dyesubed.
4 - The thing about doubleshot translucent keycaps is that they are ugly as hell and usually OEM profile only. I would rather have nice thick keycaps and RGB underlight only instead.

Offline miya

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 10:41:50 »

Hi Thanks  for share your ideas. HHKB looks nice and what we think is to design a 60%/ 75% keyboard base on the ergonomics, consider the position of shot cat keys and the space bar to make people feel more convient to use. GMK caps are popular but how about the NPKC or the JTK keycaps? It seems that LED options is not a big problem so maybe we can spend less time on it. Anyway thanks for your suggestions! ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 11:05:16 »

Both materials are fine and can be used to build a stable case, it's more about quality than actual materials for me. I like some lower angle 6-8°, you can always add some feet to get more angle afterwards.

Color is way too subjective for such a question, but I love lime green as an accent. Definitely Cherry profile though. My endgame would be PBT Dolch with lime green legends! (a man can have his dreams :'()

I think a nice underglow can be really stylish. But we need some nice, high quality backlight compatible keycaps on the market.

Haha, I hope the IC might help me quick know your requirements and what functions you exactly want on your keyboard ;D.
The split spacebar is what I really want to do! Case materials looks doesn't matter, the high quality ABS+PC maybe more light and looks good :p
Lime green is also my favourite color so please keep your dream man haha. And how about the NPKC or the JTK caps? Both color them have is good.
So high high quality must be the most significent part and I get it! Thanks for your ideas! :thumb:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 11:13:37 »
Hi Thanks  for share your ideas. HHKB looks nice and what we think is to design a 60%/ 75% keyboard base on the ergonomics, consider the position of shot cat keys and the space bar to make people feel more convient to use. GMK caps are popular but how about the NPKC or the JTK keycaps? It seems that LED options is not a big problem so maybe we can spend less time on it. Anyway thanks for your suggestions! ;D

For what it's worth I quite like NPKC blanks, I have a few sets (lime green, purple, light blue and yellow).

Offline miya

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 11:23:10 »

So basically a ZZ96/AMJ96/RS96 with split spacebar support? That could be pretty cool!

+1 for 75%, but for the keyboard incline I prefer 7.5132 deg  :p

75% might be more compact and lightweight. Why is 7.5132 degree haha. Hmmm...maybe we can have a adjustable feet to get more angle. Thanks for your ideas. :thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 11:38:36 »
The idea is that the right hand will have to travel less when using the mouse but you still have a numpad for it, I'm guessing it's also slightly more ergonomic because of the distance. Not so original I guess, just an idea I had.

Hmmm...the layout cannot open but anyway, I was thinking a keyboard which the short cut keys are on the left hand side which can full release right hand but just an idea also haha. How about the NPKC or JTK caps? I know GMK is popular but what we can do right now is to consider the cooperation with these two factory. Just for the preliminary intention. Thanks for your ideas! ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:08:10 »

Well, I haven't explain the reason why I decide to leave V on the outside forum yet and lot's of you guys feel confused. Sorry about the confused that brings you. I don't want to work for them anymore becoz of the unreasonable regulations :(  like I haven't get any of my commission after I work for about half year. Which they promised me in the interview are all can not be honored like last minute changes. Unfortunately, both of us did not sign the labor law. Anyway they never provide the contract for their employee and I just the graduate and missed that point at the beginning. So the only things I could do is leave. :( However, this experience tells me when I'm finding a new job, it's necessary to based on contract. Thanks for your following.  ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:20:55 »
75% or TKL

ANSI 125

75% is on the top one now haha.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:23:23 »
Miya, I say go for it.  Whether it is a split spacebar or a split keyboard or a 96key.  Would you please expand on the layout idea you have in mind with the split spacebar?  How many keys are you thinking would make up the keyboard?

A solid aluminum top with a aluminum plate, cherry stabilizers, RGB underglow with an acrylic angled bottom with the option to also purchase a solid aluminum bottom would be so awesome. 
1800 layout would be really perfect.  Go for a premium product design as the TaoBao and aliexpress choices already out there can be had.  60%, 65%, 68%, 40% layouts have all been done before and though they are a novelty, actually using the boards is very limited for normal use.  Please go for full layout or 1800 layout or 96 layout or 87 layout.

I really liked the PBT keycaps that came from Varmillo.  They were a good quality, however people do not like the font which I can understand.  Would you offer color options like beige, white, black, mint, blue?  I have no issue if you choose NPKC or JTK or TaiHao.

Please do doubleshot keycaps.  The effect on RGB lighting tends to dull the light bleed but it doesn't matter.  I totally want a quality keycap more than I care how the light is distributed under the keycap.

Thank you for staying around and coming to GeekHack!

Offline Camelopard

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:36:19 »
Hi Guys!

Miya is back haha. BTW, becoz I'm not working for var** anymore, so I cannot help you guys for people who want to get one, very sorry about that.

Please sharing your ideas in here if you can and we will see what we can do next. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ;D ;D ;D

I'm a new for mechanical keyboard, I prefer 60%-TKL keyboard and profile is doesn't matter to me but quality is important. also I will go for ergonomic keyboard for my next choice. :p :p :p :p. btw I like JTK but my wallet doesn't. :'( :'(

Offline miya

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:39:06 »

Keycap makers need to start making more keys for the bottom row in Space Bar profile: both short space bars and 1.5u or 1.25u keys that are used for operators.
The arrow keys should preferably be in row A profile.

Split space bar is definitely what we want to do haha ;D Should the arrow keys be seamless or it doesn't matter. Thanks for your shares:thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:42:11 »
75% would be awesome.

75% is the top one haha.

Offline miya

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 12:57:26 »
1. HHKB layout is absolutely my fav.  I guess if there was this plus arrow keys it would be better (for me).  I love having the CTRL to replace Caps Lock and I much prefer backspace directly above the enter key.

2. any... I think sandwich style with acrylic in the middle is cool.

3. 1976 SA keycaps... I missed out on this buy :/

4. doesn't matter to me.

Yes, with more bottom keys might be better. Acrylic is the translucent case which can show the inside? I can contact one 1976 color keycaps from NPKC and I just preparing to start a NPKC groupbuy. But it's make me confused haha anyway, Led's seems like not the big deal. Thanks a lot! :thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:09:31 »
1. 75% which is doesnt cost $400 up

2. Aluminum would be nice but then it would cost high, plastic/acrylic case with a sturdy Aluminum plate that supports removable top switch would be nice

3. Cherry Profile beige like TADA's hehe

4. no to RGB.

+1 75% haha. Hmm... Consider about the cost and the price. Plastic case might be better and with the high quality as well. Aluminum case might appears paint falling situation and CNC cost higher...
RGB is looks really doesn't matter. Thanks for ideas! :thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:21:14 »
1. HHKB, it's the one layout I've never tried and that I'd really want to experiment with.

2. Acrylic can look cool if done properly but my preference would be colourful aluminium (purple, neon yellow/pink, lime green, baby blue, something like that).

3. Any (or none) as long as they don't make the board much more expensive - if I had to choose out of sets available right now, DCS Midnight or SA Jukebox.

4. Don't care for LEDs at all. Whites are cool, RBG pls no.

HHKB is also on my list ;D. Aluminium case is good, you want the one color case or two to three color is better. Okey, Led's options can has 0 vote haha. Thanks a lot! :thumb:

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:22:39 »
i want this

Offline miya

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:31:08 »
Nice to see you are back, Miya  :D

1 - TKL
2 - Aluminum, maybe with an acrylic diffuser or underlight
3 - Anything thick with cherry profile or spherical (DSA, SA). Dont care about colors, but legend should be doubleshot or dyesubed.
4 - The thing about doubleshot translucent keycaps is that they are ugly as hell and usually OEM profile only. I would rather have nice thick keycaps and RGB underlight only instead.

Thanks haha ;D Underlight or acrylic might looks cool and stylish. Yes, doubleshot keycaps are always OEM profile and if we can find one Cherry profile double shot keycaps would be fantastic :cool: Thanks for your ideas :thumb:

Offline miya

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:33:15 »

For what it's worth I quite like NPKC blanks, I have a few sets (lime green, purple, light blue and yellow).

Wow you got a lot. I decide to start a NPKC GB but is still on the prepartion stage anyway haha. ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:53:56 »
Miya, I say go for it.  Whether it is a split spacebar or a split keyboard or a 96key.  Would you please expand on the layout idea you have in mind with the split spacebar?  How many keys are you thinking would make up the keyboard?

A solid aluminum top with a aluminum plate, cherry stabilizers, RGB underglow with an acrylic angled bottom with the option to also purchase a solid aluminum bottom would be so awesome. 
1800 layout would be really perfect.  Go for a premium product design as the TaoBao and aliexpress choices already out there can be had.  60%, 65%, 68%, 40% layouts have all been done before and though they are a novelty, actually using the boards is very limited for normal use.  Please go for full layout or 1800 layout or 96 layout or 87 layout.

I really liked the PBT keycaps that came from Varmillo.  They were a good quality, however people do not like the font which I can understand.  Would you offer color options like beige, white, black, mint, blue?  I have no issue if you choose NPKC or JTK or TaiHao.

Please do doubleshot keycaps.  The effect on RGB lighting tends to dull the light bleed but it doesn't matter.  I totally want a quality keycap more than I care how the light is distributed under the keycap.

Thank you for staying around and coming to GeekHack!

Hi ;D I will post my idea after I finished And I will going to  think what  size of keyboard I will take :p.Yes varmilo has good tooling for keycaps and they did well on keycaps.I will noticed your suggestions and have look on Taobao and I believe that there are some good product on Taobao as well.
Hmm JTK has good quality on keycaps as well but it's expensive and I think it because of Double shot PBT.And for NPKC i can offer some nice color like Mango, Mint ,Army green and jelly pom keycaps haha, I'm not sure does any one like Jelly pom keycaps but we will see. Thanks for your suggestions ;D ;D ;D.

Offline miya

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:57:12 »
i want this

That's really nice. ;D ;D ;D I think small size keyboards are popular than whole size keyboard. ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:59:58 »
Hi Guys!

Please sharing your ideas in here if you can and we will see what we can do next. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ;D ;D ;D

I'm a new for mechanical keyboard, I prefer 60%-TKL keyboard and profile is doesn't matter to me but quality is important. also I will go for ergonomic keyboard for my next choice. :p :p :p :p. btw I like JTK but my wallet doesn't. :'( :'(

Haha so you became to mechanical keyboard fans now?Yes JTK are nice and you are right is quite expensive. :'(

Offline Edde

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 16:17:22 »

Hmmm...the layout cannot open but anyway, I was thinking a keyboard which the short cut keys are on the left hand side which can full release right hand but just an idea also haha. How about the NPKC or JTK caps? I know GMK is popular but what we can do right now is to consider the cooperation with these two factory. Just for the preliminary intention. Thanks for your ideas! ;D
Oh forgot about NPKC and JTC, it doesn't reallly matter for blanks as far as ISO is available. This is the layout I was talking about, hopefully it makes sense with my description. In short, more ergonomic because of better distance (I assume) and shorter travel distance for the right hand while still maintaining the numpad. As you also can see, blanks would be necessary.
146535-0
EDIT: Updated the layout, would something like this be possible?
146537-1
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4 Maybe it works now
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 August 2016, 17:19:12 by Edde »

Offline Anole

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 16:53:41 »

Well, I haven't explain the reason why I decide to leave V on the outside forum yet and lot's of you guys feel confused. Sorry about the confused that brings you. I don't want to work for them anymore becoz of the unreasonable regulations :(  like I haven't get any of my commission after I work for about half year. Which they promised me in the interview are all can not be honored like last minute changes. Unfortunately, both of us did not sign the labor law. Anyway they never provide the contract for their employee and I just the graduate and missed that point at the beginning. So the only things I could do is leave. :( However, this experience tells me when I'm finding a new job, it's necessary to based on contract. Thanks for your following.  ;D
Sorry to hear that Miya. :(

Offline oatsbagotes

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 17:02:22 »
I'm gonna go with 75% too. I feel like there isn't enough 75% boards available.

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 22:48:47 »
i want this
That's my dream too! Here's to hoping someone makes a board to support it :)

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 23:19:31 »
i want this

Im never use 60% before because i really need arrow keys. Thats why i really like that layout have arrow keys

Offline Lost2Frostbite

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 23:45:13 »
i want this

Im never use 60% before because i really need arrow keys. Thats why i really like that layout have arrow keys
I have a 68% keyboard but the main reason for this layout is the case and keyset compatibility. If the PCB has underglow then you get more choices when it comes to transparent cases :)

Offline antftw1

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 06:11:07 »
I've got two layout ideas, one which is my dream board that I'll never have the money to build (A) and one which is more accessible (B).

A. I don't use caps lock almost as much as I don't use right shift, so switching the two is a no-brainer. Esc moves to caps lock's location, but with some space between it and A to avoid accidental presses (which happens from time to time with my fat fingers). This layout also maintains compatibility with DSA keycap sets. Perfection. I only wish I figure out something else to put in place of the right win key. Maybe a second function key for a programmable layer? I don't know.

B. 4 F keys with media controls. I don't use them, but it looked weird with esc hanging there by itself. I'm also not a fan of the short right shift. Meh.

2. I like the look of aluminum, but I prefer the cost of acrylic.

3. Signature Plastics DSA PBT with white (WFJ) keys, red (RBH) escape , green (VAZ) enter and blue (BCT) arrows. Classy. I'd also love to see the Troubled Minds set in DSA.

4. RGB lighting doesn't matter to me at all. Had it, didn't use, done with it. That being said, a nice white LED is where it's at.

Offline Geckt

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 12:05:24 »
 Another vote 75%.
Either no LEDs or just white LEDs with brightness control. (I don't need them for I use a desk lamp)
Full aluminium casing, flat not raised with optional feets.

Any Cherry profile keysets to match it in color would be nice.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 20:11:07 »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 22:37:27 »

We need to get this guy appointed as the president of the United Nations.   Splitting the space bar is one of the best things to happen in keyboard design.

Offline miya

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 10:26:59 »

Oh forgot about NPKC and JTC, it doesn't reallly matter for blanks as far as ISO is available. This is the layout I was talking about, hopefully it makes sense with my description. In short, more ergonomic because of better distance (I assume) and shorter travel distance for the right hand while still maintaining the numpad. As you also can see, blanks would be necessary.
(Attachment Link)
EDIT: Updated the layout, would something like this be possible?
(Attachment Link)
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/156bdc4d80260b1f0343f8b9e03b9eb4 Maybe it works now

Aha, that layout is pretty good, does it put the split the alpha keys and put the number keys in the middle? The updated layout minght makes the keyboard size be larger, it's not what we are thinking at beginning but I will take it's idea haha. ;D

Offline miya

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 10:29:44 »

Sorry to hear that Miya. :(

Oh don't worry, I'm good now. ;D Very happy to hear from you again haha.