Author Topic: Potential 70% Layout  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Typel

Potential 70% Layout
« on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 22:41:33 »
75% is the perfect layout for both functionality and compactability, but sometimes even 75% enthusiast think it's not compact enough (me).

A normal 75% might be good for compactability, but it's really ugly because every key is forced together.

An exploded 75% looks nice, but the extra space feels like a burden to me.

So, I present to you the 70% layout I made which is perfect for everyone (I think).

305085-0

You may ask, where is the Right Shift button?
- I say no one even uses Right Shift.

Where is the 2nd Ctrl and Alt?
- Do you even need 2 Ctrl and Alt?

No knob?
- n o

I deleted the extra 4 keys that normally would appear ontop of right arrow button, no one uses them anyway.

Also very kool LCD Screen to fillup the awkwardness of the empty space.

Well too bad it's only an idea, I don't have the money to custom make one so I'm just sharing my opinion here.  :thumb:
I'm the Typel

Offline Typel

Re: Potential 70% Layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 22:46:44 »
The last time there's a similiar layout is the Bacca70 iirc and it was a groupbuy in 2021, it's sad to see these kinds of layout fade away.
I'm the Typel

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 12:04:56 »
This is just a 60% with Function keys a bad one at that.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 12:06:23 »
the 2nd Ctrl and Alt are totally unnecessary

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 December 2023, 04:48:45 »
An LCD will not fit there, let alone one that large.
It's possible to do it with a slightly smaller one if you get a custom one built or incorporate the controller pcb into the keyboard pcb ($$) but if you use an off-the-shelf one it won't fit.

I can't imagine needing f-keys more than home/end and Del and that up key would drive me insane when I try and use the right shift and move my cursor instead.
As for money to build one, if you have access to a 3d printer you could build this for quite cheap and if you follow some of the keyboard printing tips in the making stuff thread, you'd be surprised how good it can actually be.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Typel

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 December 2023, 11:23:37 »
An LCD will not fit there, let alone one that large.
It's possible to do it with a slightly smaller one if you get a custom one built or incorporate the controller pcb into the keyboard pcb ($$) but if you use an off-the-shelf one it won't fit.

I can't imagine needing f-keys more than home/end and Del and that up key would drive me insane when I try and use the right shift and move my cursor instead.
As for money to build one, if you have access to a 3d printer you could build this for quite cheap and if you follow some of the keyboard printing tips in the making stuff thread, you'd be surprised how good it can actually be.

The picture is just a quick sketch of my imagination so it looks a bit scuffed, I imagine the screen being as small like the one at QK75N.

Well not all board is suitable for everyone afterall, I never really used the home/end key nor the right shift, but I do use F-keys quite often. The arrow keys has always been useful for videos and stuffs, basically the main reason to squish everything together.
I'm the Typel

Offline marksen

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 08:43:43 »

Every proper touch typist uses Right Shift.

Right Alt is AltGr on almost every layout except EN_US to get special characters and accents.

Most non-programmers could have backslash and pipe hidden away in a deeply located layer.

I agree that nearly everyone can live without Right Control.

Offline Typel

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 21:48:16 »

Every proper touch typist uses Right Shift.

Right Alt is AltGr on almost every layout except EN_US to get special characters and accents.

Most non-programmers could have backslash and pipe hidden away in a deeply located layer.

I agree that nearly everyone can live without Right Control.

That is nice to know, thanks you!
I'm the Typel

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 January 2024, 21:39:02 »
Great layout but not for general use but not for programmer. The right shift is used a lot when your right hands are navigating with the arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Color lover and a designer.