Author Topic: Bought my first 40%  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Tseg

Bought my first 40%
« on: Sat, 06 January 2024, 21:36:47 »
In the interest of exposing myself to the diversity of keyboards, today a Cannonkeys Vicious40 arrived at my house.  I doubt it will become a primary use board, but I would like to experiment more with layers.  It is also my first solder PCB… my lead solder arrives tomorrow.  I also got a new keycap set to accommodate the triple spacebar set and some of the other unique sized keys.

There is less than a handful of reviews on this board, and few on 40% boards in general.  Even on the Cannonkeys discord gallery, out of hundred of photos of completed boards, only 2 were of this 40%.  With that said, all of the few reviews provide glowing remarks.  I guess I’ll soon find out what a PITA layers for a 40% really are to use.

Anyone really smitten with 40% boards here?

Offline El Kinoflop

Re: Bought my first 40%
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 January 2024, 02:21:59 »
There are loads of us who exclusively use 40% boards. The Vicious40 is a great choice. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to create and learn your own mapping. There's a 40s discord discord.gg/40percent

Offline Tseg

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 January 2024, 04:49:09 »
Awesome.  Thanks for the tip on the discord site.

Offline Tseg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 January 2024, 17:23:28 »
My solder arrived today and other than having to re-solder 3 keys to get them to work properly, all went flawless in the assembly.  I like how the 2 spacebars are already set up as SpaceFN1 and SpaceFN2 keys if I hold them down to get to the other layers.  This board will take some getting used to but I can already see the advantages.  I put in Gateron King Oils since I swapped them out for tactiles on my  TKL board. I did a tape mod, a break mod and put in the polyfill.   The board is quiet, tight and solid. Very deep thocc.  I like it a lot.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 00:41:33 »
My solder arrived today and other than having to re-solder 3 keys to get them to work properly, all went flawless in the assembly.  I like how the 2 spacebars are already set up as SpaceFN1 and SpaceFN2 keys if I hold them down to get to the other layers.  This board will take some getting used to but I can already see the advantages.  I put in Gateron King Oils since I swapped them out for tactiles on my  TKL board. I did a tape mod, a break mod and put in the polyfill.   The board is quiet, tight and solid. Very deep thocc.  I like it a lot.

Show Image

What an interesting layout, I don't really see that. I see a lot of 60% style 40s without the numrow obviously, like the tmo which looks really cool (and I probably would prefer that layout over this one)

Hope you enjoy the keyboard :)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Tseg

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 14:46:48 »

What an interesting layout, I don't really see that. I see a lot of 60% style 40s without the numrow obviously, like the tmo which looks really cool (and I probably would prefer that layout over this one)

Hope you enjoy the keyboard :)

I suppose the TMO would be an option if you wanted a bigger 50% and wanted to spend more and wanted to back in time when they were available.  It is a bit apples to oranges.  The real benefit with this board is all keys are ergonomically accessa

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 20:28:21 »
I suppose the TMO would be an option if you wanted a bigger 50% and wanted to spend more and wanted to back in time when they were available.  It is a bit apples to oranges.  The real benefit with this board is all keys are ergonomically accessa

wdym by acessible, it does seem similar to a lot of 40s layout (but with an arrow cluster which I don't really see on 40s)

Also the reason why I mentioned the tmo is because it's getting a v3 which is pretty cool, so you don't need to buy it aftermarket or travel back in time lol.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Tseg

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 15:55:28 »

wdym by acessible, it does seem similar to a lot of 40s layout (but with an arrow cluster which I don't really see on 40s)

Also the reason why I mentioned the tmo is because it's getting a v3 which is pretty cool, so you don't need to buy it aftermarket or travel back in time lol.

I was not aware a v3 was in the works... in fact the only reference I found to it on the whole web was you making another reference too it on a different post on GH.  Nonetheless, I meant the left hand function keys on the TMO either make you move your left hand off its resting spot or drastically stretch your pinky finger.  With the Vicious, I can easily reach all keys even as my pointer fingers remain on F and J.  Accessing 4 layers (including Layer 0) via a simple thumb press on a space bar is also very handy.  But I ain't gonna lie, after a few days with this board, it still is a bit of effort to efficiently try to use it at work with a spreadsheet.  It will be interesting to see how typing numbers in layers gets seamlessly built into my muscle memory.  It currently remains a bit clumsy typing lots of number strings.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 January 2024, 16:01:16 by Tseg »

Offline El Kinoflop

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 16:27:42 »
If you've got a numrow mapped and you're not getting on with it then try mapping a numpad instead (or as well).

Offline Tseg

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 05:49:47 »
If you've got a numrow mapped and you're not getting on with it then try mapping a numpad instead (or as well).
Good tip.  Let me try.