Author Topic: CSTM80  (Read 2397 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
CSTM80
« on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 19:02:09 »
Anyone tried it?
I just ordered one, will check it out and share my thoughts soon :)

https://drop.com/buy/drop-cstm80-mechanical-keyboard?defaultSelectionIds=981345

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
Re: CSTM80
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 12:43:30 »
I don’t personally like to buy from drop as some of it are not worth its price. But this one looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 20:25:12 »
Idk it looks fine, but there are probably much better options out there for similar prices. I would probably get something else, especially since I don't like buying from drop as well.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phinix

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 03:33:32 »
Idk it looks fine, but there are probably much better options out there for similar prices. I would probably get something else, especially since I don't like buying from drop as well.

What options? I like to explore :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 19:01:33 »
Anyone tried it?

I'm more than a little biased, but I've been dailying a CSTM80 for months now and love it.

CSTM80 with DCD Bird Jungle, orange decorative case, and chroma weight:

More

CSTM80 with MT3 Skiidata and orange decorative case:

More

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 19:46:35 »
Anyone tried it?

I'm more than a little biased, but I've been dailying a CSTM80 for months now and love it.

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Niiiiiice :)

Offline MassdropYanbo

• Massdrop Mech Keys
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 12:21:17 »
Anyone tried it?

Show Image

Would love to see your thoughts on this one! I've been daily using variations of the CSTM80 for a pretty long time now. I like to think this is one of my favorite boards and I love swapping the top decorative case so it matches my various keycap sets laying around.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 03:13:58 »
What options? I like to explore :)

It was actually pretty hard for me at the start to find oem keyboards like that around that price for some reason (again I mainly look at high end customs, so not sure what the market for is about apart from everything being better value than it was even 3 years ago) but I did find some stuff.

Probably the most comparable option is the monokei standard, which is the same price. A big benefit is that it has bluetooth which I don't think the CSTM80 doesn't have, though it does have stock cherry which isn't the best. You could always mod it with lube and a spring swap after breaking it in since it is hotswappable.

https://mekibo.com/en-au/products/monokei-standard

Another board that is a similar price is the keychron Q3, it's around $30 bucks more, but you get a full alu case which is nice, plus prelubed switches and stabs.

I'm not sure if there are better options out there, since I would rather save for a great high end custom and if people want to, save up for one instead of just, but here are just the ones that I know about. The market does seem to be really competitive which I do like, since it means better value and products for people getting into the hobby.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 05:20:59 »
Anyone tried it?

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Anyone tried it?

Show Image

Would love to see your thoughts on this one! I've been daily using variations of the CSTM80 for a pretty long time now. I like to think this is one of my favorite boards and I love swapping the top decorative case so it matches my various keycap sets laying around.

Very nice keyboards, guys!

I need to contact Drop, cause I ordered one, haven't received it yet, still in transit, but Drop droppped the price on it and now I don't know what to do, cancel my order and re-order it with lower price, or ask for partial refund. Not sure what to do...

Offline Hoffman@Drop

• HoffmanMyster @ Drop
  • * Vendor
    • Drop
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 16:45:35 »

I need to contact Drop, cause I ordered one, haven't received it yet, still in transit, but Drop droppped the price on it and now I don't know what to do, cancel my order and re-order it with lower price, or ask for partial refund. Not sure what to do...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! :)

As for the price drop, reach out to CS for a partial refund - that is all standard and part of our Price Guarantee policy. :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 17:50:07 »

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! :)

As for the price drop, reach out to CS for a partial refund - that is all standard and part of our Price Guarantee policy. :thumb:

Thanks, yep, sent message to CS.

Courier tracking shows it should be here tomorrow :D
I'll try stock, but then will swap it with oil kings and some nice caps, maybe Hammerworks CRP APL, or SA Retro.

Did you mod the keyboard? Like tape mod, or some other things?
From what I've read so far, even stabs are lubed to the point there is no need to do anything - is that right?

P.S.
Hoff, do you know what is happening with Deskthority? Been offline for two days now...
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2024, 18:02:06 by phinix »

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 20:24:05 »
P.S.
do you know what is happening with Deskthority? Been offline for two days now...

I think it might be that the current owners of DT shut down the servers atm, probably to save money, I did hear that they were looking to sell it back to the original owner but he wasn't interested, so dt is kinda in a state of limbo.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 11:55:07 »
OH MY GOD !!!  :eek:

This keyboard is incredible!

EDIT:
So to make it short, this is truly good product from Drop. I had their previous keyboards and did not like them too much, good options for entry level, but lots had to be done to make them feel and sound good.
Now, this one, it is ready as stock! It sounds great, feels amazing too, switches and stabs are lubed enough.
Those keycaps - OMG, what a nice top finish, it feels very smooth, but at the same time, some kind of layer of "cloud" has been glued to them :D
I'm going to swap switches and caps with something I want to try, but I'm going to miss that feeling :)
RGB works great with those side legend caps, I think it helps if you are not a touch typist.
Really good work, Drop, really is!
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2024, 16:56:44 by phinix »

Offline wjrii

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 14:05:36 »
P.S.
do you know what is happening with Deskthority? Been offline for two days now...

I think it might be that the current owners of DT shut down the servers atm, probably to save money, I did hear that they were looking to sell it back to the original owner but he wasn't interested, so dt is kinda in a state of limbo.

Seems like the mods/community decided to rip off the bandaid. I guess they're... BANDAID MODS.  But anyway, I wouldn't count on DT coming back in anything like its expected form.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHJWjO_7aNDxU6uTmLi0cJrvQMMz_6kAauUC9LvQEwo/edit?pli=1