Author Topic: AUKEY KM-G3  (Read 1450 times)

Offline TWX

AUKEY KM-G3
« on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 22:26:24 »
Hey all, been awhile.

I picked up an AUKEY KM-G3 from a thrift shop missing some keys for $6.  Unfortunately it's missing some of the stabilized keys, and it appears to use a weird kind of stabilizer.

I've ordered a set of Razer keycaps from Amazon that claim to have various stabilizers in the package (font on the keys on this keyboard is ugly anyway, so it's not a total waste even if the stabilizers are wrong) but any suggestions for where to find these would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 February 2024, 19:18:00 by TWX »
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: AUKEY KB-GM3
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 04:20:42 »
Hmmm, not sure what they could be tbh.

From looking at it, it seems to be non standard, so you would probably have to get replacements from another aukey board that's similar unfortunately.

Could you take a picture of the another stab of the keyboard (both the whole thing and just the housing of the stab), I think it would be easier to identify what it is.

fjell | hhkb bt

Offline TWX

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 07:46:00 »
Couple more photos.

FWIW I have an old WYSE-85 terminal keyboard, I carefully took the equivalent of this on that keyboard out of the stabilizer housings for the spacebar and inserted these, the sort of worked there but the wire in the WYSE was not the same gauge, so the operation was inconsistent and the spacebar lifted off of the stabilizer.

I forgot to take pics, but I had also managed to remove a stabilizer-housing from the AUKEY.  I tried the WYSE center in the AUKEY housing but the prongs that stick out at the bottom of the WYSE wouldn't allow it to fit all of the way in.  Reinstalling the housing back into the AUKEY was a bit of a chore.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 February 2024, 07:48:40 by TWX »
TWX

Offline TWX

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 00:12:59 »
The RAZER keycaps with stabilizer parts came in.  The "optical" stabilizers compared to the AUKEY stabilizers...
TWX

Offline TWX

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 00:17:29 »
I was missing left-shift and spacebar, but I ended up using the new RAZER stabilizers on numpad enter and +.  Left-shift sat too proud with the taller stabilizers and the spacebar wouldn't rebound after a keypress, I suspect that the wire is bigger than the RAZER stabilizer truly likes and with the added friction the weight of the bar wouldn't let the keyswtich rebound.

The setup works well enough.  I would have of course preferred something closer to OE for the AUKEY but beggars can't be choosers.

My wife was more pleased with the keyboard than expected, particularly with the various color modes.  I may post some pictures of the keyboard later.  Regardless the RAZER keycap font is much nicer than whatever the hell AUKEY and many other brands use with flashier keyboards from several years back.
TWX

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 01:47:21 »
I was missing left-shift and spacebar, but I ended up using the new RAZER stabilizers on numpad enter and +.  Left-shift sat too proud with the taller stabilizers and the spacebar wouldn't rebound after a keypress, I suspect that the wire is bigger than the RAZER stabilizer truly likes and with the added friction the weight of the bar wouldn't let the keyswtich rebound.

The setup works well enough.  I would have of course preferred something closer to OE for the AUKEY but beggars can't be choosers.

My wife was more pleased with the keyboard than expected, particularly with the various color modes.  I may post some pictures of the keyboard later.  Regardless the RAZER keycap font is much nicer than whatever the hell AUKEY and many other brands use with flashier keyboards from several years back.

Glad to see that it's in a functional state at least. It seems that the AUKEY stuff are like weird clones. Could you cut the top of the stem to match the aukey one to prevent the stab setting too high up. Maybe that could be an improvement.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline TWX

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 10:25:39 »
By 'stab' are you simply referring to the cross pattern post that fits up into a key?  That part, despite its length, fit wholly into the keys.  Since the keys I used came with them this isn't a surprise.  It's more that at the bottom of travel the extension clip that retains the wire is too long from the underside of the key to the bottom where it presumably reaches the PCB.

I also got the model number of the keyboard wrong on my initial post, it's km-g3
TWX

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 21:28:29 »
By 'stab' are you simply referring to the cross pattern post that fits up into a key?  That part, despite its length, fit wholly into the keys.  Since the keys I used came with them this isn't a surprise.  It's more that at the bottom of travel the extension clip that retains the wire is too long from the underside of the key to the bottom where it presumably reaches the PCB.

I also got the model number of the keyboard wrong on my initial post, it's km-g3.

Ah ok then, I think I might've misunderstood what you were saying.

and yeah I was referring to that cross part sorry for making it a bit confusing.

fjell | hhkb bt