Author Topic: Flying a Kite/Actually Doing Stuff  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Kavik

Flying a Kite/Actually Doing Stuff
« on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 22:32:34 »
I bought my wife a kite for her birthday as something different to try, and we went to a park to fly it today. It was instantly fun; we stayed out there for about an hour enjoying it the whole time. I think it may have been my first time ever flying a kite; I don't remember ever doing it as a kid.

I'd say, as an adult, it's somewhat rare that I actually have fun. I may enjoy something to some extent, but it's not very often that something evokes the feeling I'd describe as "fun". I think this is because it's really easy not to do anything these days, mostly because of screens everywhere. I sit in front of a screen all day at work, and then I come home and watch things on a screen (TV) or get on my computer at home to read, watch videos, or play video games. Most exercise (i.e. time away from screens) is contrived: running, weight lifting, and to some extent cycling (this can sometimes be an activity unto itself though, especially if off-road), for example. Flying the kite, on the other hand, was exercise for free (running around without doing it just for the exercise). There just aren't a lot of "real" things that hold one's attention, probably because they are not passive and do take some level of effort and thinking.

I've also noticed that many of the things I find fun are exhilarating, somewhat scary activities that usually require certain environmental conditions (weather, terrain, timing), like riding a roller coaster, mountain biking, zip-lining, and white water rafting. Since these things feel dangerous and are not things I can do at any old time, I have an aversion to doing them even though I know they cause fun.

I have thought about doing a screen fast (at home since I have to use one at work), but the thought of filling all my free time with real activities sounds difficult. I suppose I could clean or read to fill in the gaps.

I guess the moral of the story is that I don't want to waste my life sitting on my butt in front of a monitor or TV, but I end up doing it most of the time because it's the path of least resistance. Do you guys ever feel like this?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Flying a Kite/Actually Doing Stuff
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:08:11 »
The modern shared access to information both fiction/ non-fiction, is the equivalent of living many lives.

To experience all that you have experienced would've taken a histoical human all their life. Land trips took years, boat trips took many months..

Taken more morbidly, you should be dead by now, and there'd be an epitaph carved, Kavik, life well lived, he's seen Much, and had intercourse with many females.

Today, most people have at least seen everything by their 20s..

From there Some humans then construct a complex futuristic goal, some where along the lines of collective improvement.

The Lesser humans such as Tp4 fall into hedonism and regress into pointless reenactments of base animal instincts such as collecting colored pebbles to adorn their hovels,  (keyboard, neogeo, vinyl, knives, bicycles, etc)..

Sigh................

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:52:21 »
My friend and myself were jobless shortly after leaving school. Well I had a job but it was part time so it felt like being jobless. My friend had one of those kites you could kinda control. It was magpie season. There was this **** magpie at one of the local parks. We proceed to fly that kite and aggravate that magpie for hours. We did this for at least a few days straight. We eventually got paid and bought alcohol and did that instead.

Can confirm kites are fun.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 03:24:49 »
Get a couple stunt kites, you would be amazed what all you can do with just two strings (or four).
Also if you get the chance try a big tractor style kite, so much fun to wrestle around and carry you down the field. it's a relaxing way to get a good workout.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 05:43:58 »
Fun... there's an interesting concept.

I've always thought I'd have had more fun had I been born somewhere where exhilaration is more readily available - if near mountains I'd have taken up skiing/snowboarding, if in a city ice hockey, middle of nowhere motocross...  Roller coasters are great too but expensive and not long term solutions.

As to filling time away from the screen I find it pretty easy to get engrossed in anything - DIY, gardening, even what sound like annoying things such as moving endless boxes when someone's moving house.  As long as my brain and body are engaged and amused it doesn't have to actually be fun.  Though fun would be better...

Generally I too waste way too much time looking at a screen because there is no exhilaration to be found here and the simple things cost (although kites probably not too much) and without knowing I'd enjoy something I don't like committing money towards it.  Doesn't help that I can use my screen to read reviews and find 'the best' of everything which cost significantly more than the starter kit!

After three years of 'stop biting my nails' I need a new New Years resolution, finding an actual hobby may well be it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 06:48:42 »
I love kites. There is something about fresh air and using an invisible breeze to keep a fluttering object aloft that is completely exhilarating.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 14:45:01 »
Fun... there's an interesting concept.

I've always thought I'd have had more fun had I been born somewhere where exhilaration is more readily available - if near mountains I'd have taken up skiing/snowboarding, if in a city ice hockey, middle of nowhere motocross...  Roller coasters are great too but expensive and not long term solutions.

I am in the same boat. I live in the great plains. There is one good place to mountain bike near me, and there are two places that I don't like much within an hour. White water rafting was on a vacation 700 miles away. In fact, most of the stuff I mentioned is only available on vacations, which sucks.

After three years of 'stop biting my nails' I need a new New Years resolution, finding an actual hobby may well be it.

Yeah, it can be fun to try new cheap things. They aren't all winners though. I tried to get into disc golf a few years ago (a few discs are only $30-ish, and free courses are everywhere here), but I just can't make myself like it. Some of them are fun the first time or two but get old fast also. I hope kite flying stays fun.

I'm thinking of trying rollerblading or skateboarding again maybe (somewhat high initial cost, but free after that), but those present a fair risk of injury to me.

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:19:03 »

Yeah, it can be fun to try new cheap things. They aren't all winners though. I tried to get into disc golf a few years ago (a few discs are only $30-ish, and free courses are everywhere here), but I just can't make myself like it. Some of them are fun the first time or two but get old fast also. I hope kite flying stays fun.

I'm thinking of trying rollerblading or skateboarding again maybe (somewhat high initial cost, but free after that), but those present a fair risk of injury to me.

Disc golf is more fun with friends, especially when it turns more into a drinking game along the way.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline shieldme

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:41:30 »
I guess the moral of the story is that I don't want to waste my life sitting on my butt in front of a monitor or TV, but I end up doing it most of the time because it's the path of least resistance. Do you guys ever feel like this?

I always feel like this and it really gets to me sometimes because when I was younger I played outside with my siblings and neighborhood friends every single day, we were out there regardless of weather. We had an absolute blast and I'm really thankful to my parents for having such a nice childhood. Now everyone is always working and schedules don't line up or people don't want to hang out anymore; I'm lazy and enjoy sitting in front of the computer. I think that for me, part of it is the fact that very few things are "new." There isn't a whole lot that invokes that sense of discovery. I remember my first time playing Runescape classic when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, that insane feeling of wonderment / discovery (same with world of warcraft when it first came out). I got that feeling from trading card games for the first time, maybe sometimes from doing some downhill mountain biking.

Maybe for me I need to get out and travel a bit to explore new places, I know there's plenty out there to see.

HHKB Pro2          Filco TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 18:50:15 »

I always feel like this and it really gets to me sometimes because when I was younger I played outside with my siblings and neighborhood friends every single day, we were out there regardless of weather. We had an absolute blast and I'm really thankful to my parents for having such a nice childhood. Now everyone is always working and schedules don't line up or people don't want to hang out anymore; I'm lazy and enjoy sitting in front of the computer. I think that for me, part of it is the fact that very few things are "new." There isn't a whole lot that invokes that sense of discovery. I remember my first time playing Runescape classic when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, that insane feeling of wonderment / discovery (same with world of warcraft when it first came out). I got that feeling from trading card games for the first time, maybe sometimes from doing some downhill mountain biking.

Maybe for me I need to get out and travel a bit to explore new places, I know there's plenty out there to see.

Well, that progression should be considered relatively correct..

You learn as a young person , from play.

Then when you get older , you participate in larger-humanity..

While it can be construed that your lack of contentment in work is the result of the leadership's failure to inspire; we are ourselves responsible for 50% of the motivation and directive..

In conclusion.. wooden cabin, squirrel pies, and an axe..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 20:07:06 »
Is it that great?

Maybe we should take the offspring "kite flying" ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 20:11:06 »
Is it that great?

Tp4 went kite once when 9ish,  the stunt kites are kewl and they make alot of noise,  not sure if a small child can hold onto one though, regular kite should be fine...

They had grilled squid with cheese dressing..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 05:23:03 »
Tp4 went kite once when 9ish,  the stunt kites are kewl and they make alot of noise,  not sure if a small child can hold onto one though, regular kite should be fine...

They have small stunt kites for kids, but mostly you just need to beware the wind ratings and and just teach them to let go with one hand if they get scared. let go with one hand and it loses all power and falls to the ground.

Wind rating is important, some are meant for flying indoors while walking backwards or low wind conditions, taking them out in a 15mph wind is asking for trouble as they can generate a lot of power, enough to tear themselves apart. On the other hand a kite rated for higher winds in a low wind situation will not even get off the ground. Small light weight ones are also fun to stack.

How much noise they make depends on their setup, if tuned for power yes, they can literally roar as they fly across, but you can also tune them to be mild and just gently skate by, it depends on the kite, wind conditions and setup. If it's wide and not very tall, they tend to be quiet, nimble and light to fly while the taller they are the more power they generate and more effort it takes to make them do anything.

Is it that great?

It's not expensive, but not cheap either, you can blow $100 on a single kite pretty easy, but it's a one time investment, you may need new strings now and then but the kites are pretty durable and the struts are cheap to replace if you break them from a hard impact. If you live somewhere where it's windy, it's a great hobby, it's as relaxing or exciting as you want it to be.

I liked it better than rc airplanes, cheaper too, especially if you crash.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 10:34:30 »
It's not expensive, but not cheap either, you can blow $100 on a single kite pretty easy, but it's a one time investment, you may need new strings now and then but the kites are pretty durable and the struts are cheap to replace if you break them from a hard impact. If you live somewhere where it's windy, it's a great hobby, it's as relaxing or exciting as you want it to be.

I liked it better than rc airplanes, cheaper too, especially if you crash.

At the shop I went to, the price range was $5-$65. I got a $37 one, but I looked at stuff online and was surprised how expensive they can get, especially for the ornate ones or specialty ones that pull the user (more like a parachute [traction kite?]). Kiteboarding looks awesome, but it looks like the most expensive version of kiting. I also don't live near a beach, and I have a fear of sea creatures that might diminish the fun.

This is how things work out, it seems. It get progressively harder to schedule anything with people through one's 20's. It's basically impossible in one's 30's. Seeing friends is like a two times a year thing now (at least in a group setting). Heck, I haven't seen one of my best friends in 3.5 years, and he lives under 10 miles away from me.

I definitely understand the diminishing number of novel experiences. I sometimes try to fallback to things I know I used to like, but they're mostly boring now since I've done them so much, unless I just get a wild hair (hare?) to do one.

This is a good thread. I'm feeling motivated to go out and do more stuff. It'd be better if it weren't cold as butt outside though.

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 11:09:27 »
I flew a proper kite once with my old roommate. It was a lot of fun and flew a lot higher than I ever expected. Normally I'd rather go on long bike adventures or split firewood back in the woods.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 18:51:28 »
At the shop I went to, the price range was $5-$65. I got a $37 one, but I looked at stuff online and was surprised how expensive they can get, especially for the ornate ones or specialty ones that pull the user (more like a parachute [traction kite?]). Kiteboarding looks awesome, but it looks like the most expensive version of kiting. I also don't live near a beach, and I have a fear of sea creatures that might diminish the fun.
Yeah, the prices run the gammut, but even if you go higher end, it's still a pretty cheap hobby.

There is also kite carts, gocarts pulled by kites, it looks fun, but it takes a lot of coordination. 4 line is often used and those take a bit of learning to get right, then you add a board or cart to the mix. You really need to have the kite be second nature or you will fail.

Considering some of the things I've done on bicycles and things, you would think I would be into it, and it looked like fun, but I always saw it as too risky (too many places to watch and keep track of) which was proven to be at least somewhat true when the guy I knew who tried to get me into it ended up getting stuck in a barbed wire fence. Out on a dry lake bed, ok. Down a dirt road lined with ditches and barbed wire, no thanks.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 18:54:13 »
Yeah, the prices run the gammut, but even if you go higher end, it's still a pretty cheap hobby.

There is also kite carts, gocarts pulled by kites, it looks fun, but it takes a lot of coordination. 4 line is often used and those take a bit of learning to get right, then you add a board or cart to the mix. You really need to have the kite be second nature or you will fail.

Considering some of the things I've done on bicycles and things, you would think I would be into it, and it looked like fun, but I always saw it as too risky (too many places to watch and keep track of) which was proven to be at least somewhat true when the guy I knew who tried to get me into it ended up getting stuck in a barbed wire fence. Out on a dry lake bed, ok. Down a dirt road lined with ditches and barbed wire, no thanks.

I've always wanted one of those big fan chairs strapped to a parachute.. what are those called.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:56:12 »
I've always wanted one of those big fan chairs strapped to a parachute.. what are those called.
Paragliding
About $3-5k if I remember right and you can get them with and without a chair. Seems pretty safe and affordable once you have the rig.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 20:07:38 »

There is always an element of danger in life, no matter what you do. Something random could fall from the sky while flying a kite or you could stumble over a rock while walking in a field. I used to ride on a dedicated bike trail which was paved, perfectly, flat, with little foot traffic and quite scenic. Seems safe, right? Occasionally I would have a deer jump the fence ahead of me. I came close enough a couple times to being side swiped but was aware enough to brake ahead of time. Ear buds and being blissfully unaware do not mix with riding for example. I've also done steep hill descents where I ended up going over 40mph (without pedaling) on sketchy pothole ridden roads with other riders around me and no issues. Roads with a lot of traffic are pretty unnerving to me though so I am picky about where I ride.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 20:56:26 »
There is always an element of danger in life, no matter what you do.
Yes, but it's calculated risk vs reward.
Kite carting down a narrow road lined with death has a terrible risk vs reward ratio in my eyes.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 21:57:14 »
How about flying a kite while riding a unicycle down a mountain decent?  :p Biking can me fairly low risk with a reasonable skill level and a bit of common sense. I am afraid if I fly a kite it could catch a bit of lightning  ;D

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 11:26:24 »
I bought my wife a kite for her birthday as something different to try, and we went to a park to fly it today. It was instantly fun; we stayed out there for about an hour enjoying it the whole time. I think it may have been my first time ever flying a kite; I don't remember ever doing it as a kid.

I'd say, as an adult, it's somewhat rare that I actually have fun. I may enjoy something to some extent, but it's not very often that something evokes the feeling I'd describe as "fun". I think this is because it's really easy not to do anything these days, mostly because of screens everywhere. I sit in front of a screen all day at work, and then I come home and watch things on a screen (TV) or get on my computer at home to read, watch videos, or play video games. Most exercise (i.e. time away from screens) is contrived: running, weight lifting, and to some extent cycling (this can sometimes be an activity unto itself though, especially if off-road), for example. Flying the kite, on the other hand, was exercise for free (running around without doing it just for the exercise). There just aren't a lot of "real" things that hold one's attention, probably because they are not passive and do take some level of effort and thinking.

I've also noticed that many of the things I find fun are exhilarating, somewhat scary activities that usually require certain environmental conditions (weather, terrain, timing), like riding a roller coaster, mountain biking, zip-lining, and white water rafting. Since these things feel dangerous and are not things I can do at any old time, I have an aversion to doing them even though I know they cause fun.

I have thought about doing a screen fast (at home since I have to use one at work), but the thought of filling all my free time with real activities sounds difficult. I suppose I could clean or read to fill in the gaps.

You sound overstimulated. It's super easy to do these days with all the screens, constantly being rewarded for simply your attention, so I agree with you. Take a break, fly more kites or something. Maybe go out in the woods somewhere, and just sit and have a sandwich in the quiet.

I don't think the world/life needs to be all wide smiles and hard laughter, sometimes a slight grin or a half ass chuckle is good too.

I'm always an advocate for fasting from stuff. If you're not getting what you want out of something quit doing it. It's probably not as hard as you think to fill all the time in, especially if you get deeply enough into a hobby. Like kites, eventually you could probably get to the point of designing/building your own and I assume that would take quite a bit of time.

How much free time are we talking here?

Flying kites sounds pretty fun btw tho

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 12:46:16 »

You sound overstimulated. It's super easy to do these days with all the screens, constantly being rewarded for simply your attention, so I agree with you. Take a break, fly more kites or something. Maybe go out in the woods somewhere, and just sit and have a sandwich in the quiet.

I don't think the world/life needs to be all wide smiles and hard laughter, sometimes a slight grin or a half ass chuckle is good too.

I'm always an advocate for fasting from stuff. If you're not getting what you want out of something quit doing it. It's probably not as hard as you think to fill all the time in, especially if you get deeply enough into a hobby. Like kites, eventually you could probably get to the point of designing/building your own and I assume that would take quite a bit of time.

Hangon,  I thought Kavik was saying he's been  UNDER-Stimulated in front of the computer,  and is now revitalized by the Kite- Outing with his female and offspring.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:22:38 »

Hangon,  I thought Kavik was saying he's been  UNDER-Stimulated in front of the computer,  and is now revitalized by the Kite- Outing with his female and offspring.

Simply, he's not getting his "fix" anymore. And I wouldn't say "revitalized", it's just new stimulus.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:06:28 »

I think you are right. In fact, camping/backpacking is one of my favorite things to do; my friends and I did an annual backpacking trip for about six years, but we haven't done one in about 4 years. Time in the woods away from everything is really good for resetting myself.

In terms of amount of free time, it's the hours after work and on weekends. I tend to get on R6: Siege a couple hours a night during the week and sometimes 6-7 hours on Saturday or Sunday, which is a bit embarrassing to admit, especially since I'm not even good at the game. It's basically my de facto time killer.

I think I'm especially feeling it now because it's cold and dark outside, and I'm also recovering from a couple injuries, so I haven't been doing my normal lifting routine that takes up a couple hours every other day.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:30:26 »
Sounds like you already understand what's up, which is good. means you'll be able to figure out a plan or at least keep your head on your shoulders.

Yea, I can get pretty "in my head" myself if I don't do some of the things everyone has talked about, getting outside etc. This year has been particularly rough as I haven't gone on any hikes or camping since the beginning of the year, when in previous years it was a staple hobby.

If you're not getting sun or getting out, try upping your vitamin D intake. Deficiency can cause a few issues, and likely if it's winter and you're indoors often you could be deficient (many, many, many people are deficient since many of us work indoors). However, I am not a doctor by any stretch, ymmv.

And gaming has become a main stream hobby these days so I wouldn't be too embarrassed.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 19:39:53 »
My wife got me one of those stunt kites (aka sport kite) with two lines for my birthday, and it basically requires expert level 10 to fly it. I spent about an hour just untangling the two strings while she flew her single string kite with ease. Once I got the lines straightened out, I had a really hard time flying it. My longest flight was probably only two minutes. I think it might not have been windy enough for this type of kite (only about 12 MPH winds today). The lines don't seem quite long enough to get it high enough, so it crashes very fast if anything goes wrong or there's a lull in the wind.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 22:23:38 »
2 line stunt kites have a wind rating, this can be adjusted to a degree but you need to fly the right kite in the right wind. A kite built for heavy wind won't fly and a kite made for light winds will literally self destruct in high winds. 12mph is higher winds and line length changes how large your flight window is (more on this below)

A stunt kite (2 and 4 line) doesn't fly like a normal kite, it's not meant to be up high, in fact much of the time you won't be up more than 30 feet in the air. You want your back to the wind and fly in half a dome area with front and center having the most pull and lift. As you move to the sides or go up it shears off the wind, unlike a normal kite as you go up it becomes floaty and actually has less and less ability to fly, this slackens the lines and down it comes. At the sides it can shake a shudder as it tries to maintain a heading, go too far and it will also lose wind and simply fall down.

Watch a few vids on youtube you will pick it up pretty fast.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 May 2019, 23:16:13 »
2 line stunt kites have a wind rating, this can be adjusted to a degree but you need to fly the right kite in the right wind. A kite built for heavy wind won't fly and a kite made for light winds will literally self destruct in high winds. 12mph is higher winds and line length changes how large your flight window is (more on this below)

A stunt kite (2 and 4 line) doesn't fly like a normal kite, it's not meant to be up high, in fact much of the time you won't be up more than 30 feet in the air. You want your back to the wind and fly in half a dome area with front and center having the most pull and lift. As you move to the sides or go up it shears off the wind, unlike a normal kite as you go up it becomes floaty and actually has less and less ability to fly, this slackens the lines and down it comes. At the sides it can shake a shudder as it tries to maintain a heading, go too far and it will also lose wind and simply fall down.

Watch a few vids on youtube you will pick it up pretty fast.

That's pretty much what happened. It kept getting above me and developing slack in the lines so that I could no longer steer it, and then it would crash. According to the manual, directly above the "pilot" is supposed to be a "safe" zone to take a break, but your description is closer to my experience. I'll have to do more research than my cursory manual reading on the wind window.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 19:58:20 »
I browse geekhack, once in a while sometimes i do like to walk the Red Hill Valley trail and it's quite tiring, but the end and beginnings are worth it  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 19:58:41 »
I browse geekhack so almost no life , but once in a while sometimes i do like to walk the Red Hill Valley trail and it's quite tiring, but the end and beginnings are worth it  :thumb:

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 20:10:15 »
I browse geekhack so almost no life , but once in a while sometimes i do like to walk the Red Hill Valley trail and it's quite tiring, but the end and beginnings are worth it  :thumb:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 00:33:07 »
That's pretty much what happened. It kept getting above me and developing slack in the lines so that I could no longer steer it, and then it would crash. According to the manual, directly above the "pilot" is supposed to be a "safe" zone to take a break, but your description is closer to my experience. I'll have to do more research than my cursory manual reading on the wind window.
It's more of a take the stress off your hands for a moment kind of place. Best advice I can give you about the window is to fly by feel, if you feel it slacken you know you're at the edge of your window. Get used to flying by feel, everything you do on a stunt kite has to do with feel/tension on the lines. Which is another thing to bear in mind, it's easy to underestimate how much of a workout you're getting from it. It's not uncommon after a long day of flying, especially bigger more powerful kites to come home and feel like you just got beat up at the gym, and not just your arms.

One last thing, not sure what handles you have but if you don't have them, invest in nice wrist straps. Straps make a huge difference by taking the stress off the fingers and hands.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 10:08:42 »
It's more of a take the stress off your hands for a moment kind of place. Best advice I can give you about the window is to fly by feel, if you feel it slacken you know you're at the edge of your window. Get used to flying by feel, everything you do on a stunt kite has to do with feel/tension on the lines. Which is another thing to bear in mind, it's easy to underestimate how much of a workout you're getting from it. It's not uncommon after a long day of flying, especially bigger more powerful kites to come home and feel like you just got beat up at the gym, and not just your arms.

One last thing, not sure what handles you have but if you don't have them, invest in nice wrist straps. Straps make a huge difference by taking the stress off the fingers and hands.

Yeah, you aren't kidding. I felt like a wimp because my upper back is rather sore from flying this kite. I had even worked out my back recently, so it must have hit muscles my normal workout hadn't.

I just have the handles it came with, rather basic nylon loops. Once I get better at it, I'll see if I require anything better.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 20:42:16 »
Loops are fine, I was worried you were using plastic handles which some have been known to come with. More comfortable ones are out there but those are more than adequate, again, just make sure they are looping your wrist not holding them with your hands.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More