Author Topic: [IC] RM-Numpad: A numpad with an aluminum case and big 'ol knob.  (Read 4664 times)

Offline RuckerMachine

• Vendor - RMKeebs
    • RMKeebs.com
[IC] RM-Numpad: A numpad with an aluminum case and big 'ol knob.
« on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 09:20:54 »
I'm excited to announce my first keyboard related product: The RM-Numpad! A numpad with a few extra keys and a big 'ol knob. It will come with a tray mount case in aluminum, as well as an aluminum knob, made here in the Pacific Northwest by yours truly.

Prototype pictures:

These pictures show the prototype case and knob in bare aluminum, after being bead blasted.  The final product will have a slightly different look after it’s coated/anodized (colors TBD).

IC form
 https://forms.gle/FJAoo1HS1NFHdcMCA

What's included?
The RM-Numpad will be sold as a kit including the PCB with all surface mount components; including the MCU; soldered to the PCB, an FR4 plate, a USB-C plug, possibly an encoder (check the IC!) a case, a big 'ol knob, some rubber feet, and all of the screws and allen wrenches needed to put it together.

Default Layouts
I've created 3 layouts in QMK that will be available when sales have begun, but you’re welcome to add your own:

Timeline:
The timeline depends on a lot of things. PCB manufacturing will take a week or two, manufacturing of the aluminum parts will also take a few weeks, but there are some other things that are out of my hands. For example, all of the anodizers in my area have a pretty massive backlog. The quickest one I've used so far has over a month turnaround. I’m considering other options, which may have a faster turnaround. Make sure you fill out the IC form to let me know you're interested in those options!
If you'd like to be notified when I have an update, or when the RM-Numpad is available for purchase, sign up on the "Email Updates" tab on the website! You can choose what to be notified about, and each email will have a link to allow you to edit your preferences. You don't even need to create an account.

Support
I intend to make a thorough build guide, which will be published before they're listed for sale. I'll do my best to answer questions, and offer help, but the unfortunate fact is that I'm a one-man operation, and my shop is loud. I may not be able to respond immediately, but I'll do my best. See below for all of the ways to contact me.

FAQ:

This is a new account, why should we trust you?
Yes, this is a new account, but I'm not new to keyboards, or manufacturing. There are some members of the keyboard community who may recognize me, but I haven't manufactured or sold keyboard parts on this scale, so let me make a couple promises:

• I will never run group buys. I intend to take responsibility for all of the costs and risks associated with manufacturing the items I intend to sell. If I have an item in stock on my website, that means I actually have it in my hands. It will ship as soon as it takes me to get it in a box and take it to the post office.
  • I will never sell something based on renders. I will at the very least have prototypes in hand before I announce anything, and will make sure all pictures on the item's page on my website are representative of the actual thing you'll be getting.

Since I'm taking on 100% of the risk, I need some help from you to make sure I don't overextend myself. That's the purpose of the IC linked above. Please take a look and fill it out!

What colors will be available?
If there is interest, I intend to make batches in multiple colors, but I won't be able to make them in every color. Fill out the IC to let me know what to make first!

Will there be other plate options?
I plan on making the plate drawing available to anyone who wants to make plates out of other materials.

What if I don’t like the knob?
I’d like to make other knob options in the future, but I need your input!  If you have ideas for what you’d like to see in a knob, feel free to reach out!  If there is interest, I may also make the drawings for the knob available, so people can make their own.

You aren’t very good at taking pictures.
That’s not a question.

What's next?
First things first: You need to fill out the IC form. I'll begin manufacturing once I have a better idea of how large the first batch should be. Official updates will be posted on the website. If you'd like to be notified when there are updates, click on the "Email Updates" tab and sign up. You don't need to create an account to sign up for the updates, every email will have a link allowing you to adjust what kind of updates you're subscribed to. I do have a discord server. I might post some updates there, but that will NOT be the place to go for official updates. It'll mostly be a place for me to share pictures related to R&D, and discuss things related to keyboards and manufacturing.

How do we follow along?
I already mentioned the Email Updates. You can sign up here: https://www.rmkeebs.com/updates/
Official updates will be posted on the product page: https://www.rmkeebs.com/product/rm-numpad/

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2022, 12:19:58 by RuckerMachine »
Keyboards & Accessories manufactured in the PNW, USA

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
Re: [IC] RM-Numpad: A numpad with an aluminum case and big 'ol knob.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 10:11:57 »
@RuckerMachine is good people. Have proof.

This is awesome man, filling out the IC now.
A-a-ron

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 11:07:13 »
This is quite nice, though I would love to see some target pricing, to at least get a ballpark of what we would be looking at.

US based CNC and finishing prices tend to vary quite a bit, so it would help more people get into this project if your price point sits at the more fair side of the pricing curve.

Offline RuckerMachine

• Vendor - RMKeebs
    • RMKeebs.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 10:46:29 »
Time for an RM-Numpad update!
Unfortunately it's bad news:
https://www.rmkeebs.com/nov-2021-update/

Offline RuckerMachine

• Vendor - RMKeebs
    • RMKeebs.com
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 12:17:46 »
Update: Now available!

Still waiting on update from the mods to allow me to post a thread in the vendors sub, but for now, you can find out more on reddit:  https://old.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/t497vl/bulk_rmnumpad_a_numpad_with_an_aluminum_case_and/