Author Topic: Test keyboard with iphone charger, and Bandaid mod on Platemounted stabilizers.  (Read 2720 times)

Offline zOlid

So im building my first keyboard this week. A Varmilo VA69M.
And i was thinking about the testing bit while building.
So my plan is to solder all the switches first, and then connect the PCB to a computer and test them out, see that it all works.
And then after that install the LEDS, but with the leds part, can i use my iPhone charger and solder in like 5 leds at a time, and then plug it in to the charger to see if they light up or not?
Or is that a bad idea?

Also, im wondering about bandaid modding. Can i still do this with platemounted stabbs? Cos i cant find any guide for that.
If any one could link one, or could explain it, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Data

Use a coin cell battery to test LEDs before you solder them.  I use a CR2032, but anything around that size should be fine.  They don't supply enough current to blow the types of LEDs we use in our keyboards, so they're safe to use for testing without a resistor.

Offline Tactile

First test the PCB by shorting out the switch positions with tweezers, paper clip, etc. Always test the PCB before soldering anything. If you've soldered to the PCB there are no returns no matter what might be wrong.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Data

OK, that's a bit extreme.  You can desolder, it's a thing.  It's not fun though.    :rolleyes:

Offline Tactile

OK, that's a bit extreme.  You can desolder, it's a thing.  It's not fun though.    :rolleyes:

Of course you can desolder. I'm just saying that no vendor will allow you to return a defective PCB after you've soldered to it. Besides, there's no reason to not test it first.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Data

I didn't realize you were talking about warranty stuff.  That makes sense.

Offline zOlid

First test the PCB by shorting out the switch positions with tweezers, paper clip, etc. Always test the PCB before soldering anything. If you've soldered to the PCB there are no returns no matter what might be wrong.

So just connect the bare pcb, and link the 2 points on each switch?
There are not any real risk getting electrocuted, (not to dangerous amounts, i get that.) but in general, its pretty safe to handle the pcb when its connected.
Thinking more of accidental shorts, by holding it or something.

Offline Tactile

So just connect the bare pcb, and link the 2 points on each switch?
There are not any real risk getting electrocuted, (not to dangerous amounts, i get that.) but in general, its pretty safe to handle the pcb when its connected.
Thinking more of accidental shorts, by holding it or something.

Just make sure the surface you lay it on is non-conductive. You should be able to touch all the contacts without moving the board.

And keep in mind that some PCBs arrive blank - not flashed. I don't know about yours. But if you test it and nothing works that just means it hasn't been flashed. You'll need to flash it in order to test it. Well, you'll need to flash it in order to use it, for that matter. You'll just be flashing it as a first step instead of last.
REΛLFORCE