Author Topic: Is it safe to clean Model F's barrel with denture tablets?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline GlennL42

Is it safe to clean Model F's barrel with denture tablets?
« on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 02:35:08 »
I've bought some denture tablet to clean some keycaps and have plenty of leftovers and I've thought about using them to clean the barrel in my F as they felt a little scratchy, but I'm not very sure about soaking any non-PBT plastic with what is essentially mild bleach.

TLDR, is it safe to do so?

Offline Giorgio

Re: Is it safe to clean Model F's barrel with denture tablets?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 03:29:16 »
I'd suggest you to get an ultrasonic cleaner for 25 usd. On the long run it costs less than denture tablets and you can use pure water, or water plus isopropyl alcool.

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 03:39:44 »
Thx for the suggestion, but ultrasonic cleaner here are pretty hard to come by and all cleaner selling for sub US$50 (i.e: knockoff of already cheap Chinese brand/brandless) has piss poor review. Plus I never have problem cleaning everything else with warm water, just think an F deserve more than warm water cleaning and a investing in a decent ultrasonic cleaner for one -off use/that I will only use rarely doesn't seems worth the money TBH
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2018, 03:45:13 by GlennL42 »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 04:07:52 »
They are safe on them. I used the denture powder.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 04:22:46 »
Sweet, good to know and thank you very much! Will clean it right now.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 04:25:21 »
If it is any consolation, i have yet to find a plastic that denture solution isn't safe for. Remember, this stuff is going to end up in your mouth as a residue. Chances are it is safe for anything we will come across in this hobby.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 07:23:29 »
If it is any consolation, i have yet to find a plastic that denture solution isn't safe for. Remember, this stuff is going to end up in your mouth as a residue. Chances are it is safe for anything we will come across in this hobby.

You can drink alcohol, yet not all kinds of alcohol are safe for plastic!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 07:56:57 »
A simple powdered laundry detergent and warm water soak works 99% of the time for me.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07