Author Topic: Left Handed Cherry Blues?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline nads93uk

Left Handed Cherry Blues?
« on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 12:10:56 »
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if there are any Cherry MX Blues for lefties, preferably Mac, but not neccesary.

Thank You

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 12:29:10 »
Thank You

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 13:12:34 »
At MacWorld last year, a friend of mine put me in front of one of those lefties with Cherry browns, challenged me to name the feel. I didn't have the vocabulary I have now, but I correctly identified the touch as the same as my Kinesis Contour.

I didn't do a Ricercar Flex™, but these lefty keyboards do have a solid satisfying feel.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 13:14:50 »
What's wrong with the standard layout? I think it's actually much more convenient for lefties than for right handers. The numpad is simple enough for me to operate with the weak hand at high speed, and on the right side it doesn't get in the way of the mouse, which seems to be common problem for right handers. Navigation keys right are great too, I never have to move my left off the mouse when using them.

YMMV of course, but for my lefty needs the standard layout is just perfect.
Typing on blues.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 13:25:47 »
Numpad on left allows handwriting with right hand while number crunching.

I mouse on left at work to allow writing notepad on right.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 16:30:37 »
Although I'm not left-handed...I'd certainly like to get hold of one of them left-hand keyboards...I'd *really* like to get a 122-key terminal for lefties...though I doubt any of them exist.

spec57
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2010, 16:32:46 by Specter_57 »

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 16:42:14 »
Just for novelty value, or do you think it might be more convenient for right handers?
Typing on blues.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 17:01:26 »
I'd like it for novelty value, to be sure..and to irritate friends who use my computer from time to time.....but it's also for practical reasons too...I feel it would be more user-friendly for *me*...but then...I can write with both hands too, and  swing a hammer left-handed without smashing fingers...so maybe I'm odd afterall......  haha

spec57
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2010, 17:05:34 by Specter_57 »

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 18:21:15 »
Quote from: ricercar;159641
Numpad on left allows handwriting with right hand while number crunching.

I mouse on left at work to allow writing notepad on right.

I've also trained myself to use the numpad on the left, but all you can find is stand alone righty numpads which aren't designed for the left hand so it's never quite comfortable getting your pinky down to the "0" or curling your thumb or using your index finger to hit period (there's something about the slightly shorter ring finger that works perfectly using the numpad with the right hand).

I'm kind of partial to the number row these days, but I use tilde often so I'm thinking to remap period to backspace and my backspace to the right shift since I shift with the left most the time anyhoo.

Perhaps if I brought a fullsize board with arrows and a lefty numpad on the left it might catch on as a "right-handed" keyboard in the age of pointing devices:-) I just have to convince people to learn to use their left hand...everything is marketing, but I'm not thinking I'm THAT good:\
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 February 2010, 18:25:35 by majestouch »

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 February 2010, 18:56:42 »
Quote from: majestouch;159730
Perhaps if I brought a fullsize board with arrows and a lefty numpad on the left it might catch on as a "right-handed" keyboard in the age of pointing devices:-) I just have to convince people to learn to use their left hand...everything is marketing, but I'm not thinking I'm THAT good:\

If Diatec can design a board like that at an acceptable price for you, you should give it a try. You might end up as a pioneer of keyboard design. ;) A quality board like that could get a lot of interest with computer media too, if properly explained. It would be relatively easy to "learn", unlike optimized key layouts like Dvorak and Colemak, so users should feel a benefit right away.

I got the impression taking the risk and distributing high end keyboards for a relatively small number of quality aware users has paid quite nicely for you so far. This one might be worth taking another chance.

The current standard design is clearly putting right handers at a disadvantage. As a lefty I feel a bit weird about advocating this though. :madgrin:
Typing on blues.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 February 2010, 11:24:59 »
has anyone (lefty or righty) seen or know of any Numpad which are flipped over for the left hand so your pinky doesnt have to reach for zero like so:

*     /    =  NL/Clear
-     9    8   7
+    6    5   4
      3    2   1
Ent  .         0

or even

*     /    =  NL/Clear
-     7    8   9
+    4    5   6
      1    2   3
Ent  .         0

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 February 2010, 11:32:27 »
I just had an idea for making your own [external left-handed numpad]...it would need to have mechanical, PCB mount switches though.

1) Desolder all switches
2) Flip PCB upside down
3) Resolder all switches to (what's normally the) bottom of PCB (this may take some creativity to be possible)
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2010, 11:45:00 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 February 2010, 11:42:13 »
That's actually a pretty good idea. For right handers of course.
Typing on blues.

Offline nads93uk

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 February 2010, 05:48:55 »
I FOUND ONE, well its not cherry, but has a perfect layout.

Offline kohan69

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 17:57:27 »
OK, that doesn't work for ME, per say.
I want a regular numpad like this:
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=484

But with a US layout, brown cherries and full NKRO

buy.com has a left handed scorpius keypad:
http://www.buy.com/prod/ione-qtronix-scorpius-22-mechanical-switch-usb-keypad/q/listingid/18341556/loc/101/205713553.html

anyone know what switches the DS uses? what's its NKRO?
http://shops.godaddy.com/DS-International-Inc/Left-Handed-Keyboard/
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 March 2010, 18:05:22 by kohan69 »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 23:01:57 »
Quote from: nads93uk;159819
has anyone (lefty or righty) seen or know of any Numpad which are flipped over for the left hand so your pinky doesnt have to reach for zero

Sounds like yet another job for the mighty Nostromo...

The pinkie naturally rests on the key I've made '0', but you could move 0 anywhere, maybe to a thumb switch.