Author Topic: [IC] DSA Encore  (Read 36356 times)

Offline AstroBunny

• A curious bunny embarking on a design journey.
    • AstroBunny Studios
[IC] DSA Encore
« on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:32:05 »
10/7/21 UPDATE
More
Hello! There is no TLDR of this, so let's just get right to it. As most of you have already know, DSA Encore (renamed DSA Uncore by 1 of my supporters with a sense of humor) was C&D'd a few months after GB ended. I won't go into too much detail about it for legal & private reasons; however, I wanted to set the record straight for several rumors about the situation that are negatively affecting myself, my supporters, & the reputation of the vendors who supported the GB. It's been brought to my attention that the following assumptions have been made & circulated as the truth.

1. MYTH: I ignored the C&D and lied to my vendors.
This is false. I don't know who made this assumption and spread this based on pieces of information from sources either not directly involved or sources without a full grasp of the situation, but this is utterly untrue. My vendors as well as Riot Games can vouch for me. Riot Games and I spoke about this after and as it stands, Riot Games and I are on good terms as they understand I never meant to offend them. When my vendors were directly contacted regarding the C&D, I did not try convincing them to ignore it & instead urged them to comply while thanking them for their support & patience. I kept them in the loop the entire time throughout the process when it was clear there was a misunderstanding between myself and the third-party representing Riot Games.

2. MYTH: The keyset was rushed into production shortly after GB ended to try and circumvent a possible C&D.
False. I'm not sure where people are getting their information, but it certainly isn't from me nor my vendors, who are the only sources of truths in this matter. The keyset was being prototyped and sent to me. I approved V2, but the set itself never went into mass production before the C&D as I was still noodling on some stuff for it. No sets of DSA Encore were produced beyond the two prototype sets.

There's also a less serious rumor saying I tried to hide the C&D and the provided "proof" of this was that I didn't notify/update the GeekHack post ASAP.  Also untrue. As many of you are aware, when things went awry with the IC initially, I pulled back from Geekhack and moving forward, provided updates about the set ONLY in my server and my Instagram. My server was notified first because that was where the majority of the set's followers were. In my server statement announcing the C&D, I also stated I'd be updating my Instagram accordingly soon after. As you can imagine, my first priority was handling the C&D itself followed by notifying my supporters whenever I had major updates. Updating a post on a forum I hadn't been active on for several months and NOT where the majority  of my followers were residing was obviously not at the top of my list. The fact that some members are using this against me as proof that I tried to hide the C&D happening is wild to me.

I'm aware that when I first landed on GH with my IC, my initial reaction to most of the comments was immature, arrogant, & inflammatory, so I understand how most of GH is reveling in a "They had it coming / Told you so / Haha get f*cked" moment. That's fair. Everyone is entitled to schadenfreude every now and then, especially when it's towards someone who was deserving of it with an attitude like mine before; however, I would greatly appreciate it if community members would stop playing a broken telephone game and create their own theories to spread regarding what occurred. If it didn't come directly from me, then there's a high chance that the information is skewed and not 100% accurate.

I am not asking the community to simply forget my initial behavior on the IC, as I understand that the C&D was no fault of my own, but I am humbly asking that you not mentally hold me to what I was previously; however, I also understand there will always be people who refuse to accept that people can grow & learn from their mistakes. I've seen enough of this toxic behavior of cancel culture on Twitter to recognize the similarities in some of the Discord server conversations surrounding me, but to each their own. Whether you as an individual would like to forgive my initial arrogant behavior is up to you, though I strongly believe I've grown as a person and designer since. Anyone who has truly followed me within my server can see that. I say truly since I'm well aware there are a handful of folks who lurk in my server to screenshot content and share elsewhere to discuss in a malicious manner. I find that a bit sad, but it do be like that, so feel free to come and go as you may in the server.

The C&D situation got me down bad to say the least. Besides that though, I was extremely disheartened and hurt having seen a few designers who I thought were true friends of mine in the hobby, some of whom I've collaborated with for projects, say some of the most mean-spirited comments regarding the situation. While I may have pulled back on my previously very active status in the Discord servers in the community to handle the issue, I was still lurking in them. I’m shocked how some people can feign sympathy in a server to maintain their nice façade to everyone there while simultaneously spewing some seriously hurtful sentiment in another server. I understand general toxicity coming from strangers I didn't really interact with outside the GH IC, but to have it come from a few folks I befriended is something entirely unexpected.

Some vendors also unfairly received misdirected negativity towards them just because they backed my GB. I want to emphasize that the C&D was solely my responsibility and my vendors were nothing but great, supportive, and patient. They are all still 100% trustworthy vendors and none of them (nor myself) attempted to deceive anyone during this process.

On a completely different note, if any designer is curious about how to handle a C&D, talking to the offended party, what constitutes a gray area of a policy, or just do's & don't's for a situation like that, my Discord DMs are open for the genuinely well-meaning and curious. It was a rocky road, but I did learn a lot from it, and I have to thank Riot Games in helping me understand the situation too and they were kind enough to have an open discussion about it when I politely requested one (details of that convo won't be revealed though).

And with that, I think that's all I've to say about the situation. If anything else major comes up, I may or may not address it depending on what it is. This hasn't stopped me from designing. I do plan to come back to using these colors, but after finishing my 2nd keyset design. Have a great day/night, stay safe, and thanks for reading!

Reflection
More
10/7 EDIT: I guess I should've included when I wrote this bit, but this was shortly BEFORE the C&D came through. Emphasis on BEFORE. Regarding the drama here, I have for awhile removed myself from that since it was negatively affecting my wellbeing, hence the lack of updates to it (as I'm sure many of you have noticed). I admit my initial reaction to the comments on it was immature, arrogant, and inflammatory, but have since reflected with the guidance of kindhearted veteran designers & moved forward from the incident. Those who stuck with me can vouch for my growth if that matters to any of you. I do not expect others to forgive my previous behavior & have put it behind me, & what others decide to do is up to them of course. It's a shame what happened happened, but I've learned from it & that's all I can do.

In regards to why I strongly believe it's OK in the legal gray area, it's because after reading their Legal Jibber Jabber, I immediately thought of several public instances where creators were blatantly breaking their code, but Riot Games didn't care. Riot is known to willingly turn a blind eye on paywalled fanmade merch as long as the designer/seller does NOT use their logo anywhere or say that it is a Riot-backed project. A great example would be the NSFW artist Sakimichan who makes tons of NSFW fanart for many games including League of Legends. She's extremely popular and Riot is well aware that her LoL champ fanart is Patreon-exclusive which is in direct violation of their Legal Jibber Jabber on paper. However, she's still allowed to continue this 'cause she doesn't use their Riot Games logo & also, Riot would never back a NSFW artist publicly (privately, though yes, as many Rioters are avid fans of her Patreon).  Another example would be the many creators who sell League of Legends IP fanmerch at conventions (Anime Expo, Fanime, etc.) or in their online stores. These fanmade merch include art prints, apparel, accessories, & more that are produced & sold by a 3rd-party to the creator. Riot is aware of all of this, but they have bigger fish to fry (such as other game studios copying their game i.e. Mobile Legends; you can Google the lawsuit that occurred).

The difference between my set & GMK Blink is I'm not mentioning Riot Games or K/DA anywhere in my set. I steered clear of using their official logos & I checked what is officially trademarked by Riot Games (https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/riot-games-inc-1359372/page2), and none of my novelties are listed. The "KDA" font I'm using for social assets is free to use (https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/jjfs29/kda_font/). The assets looking similar to official KDA art (banners, font, colors, etc.) is intentional, but I am NOT using anything that's copyrighted or trademarked here AFAIK. I'm not trying to hide that this set is K/DA/Riot Games inspired though, otherwise I wouldn't have included the Riot Games Legal Jibber Jabber blog here and on my site. I was actually initially satisfied that it was so easily recognized as K/DA without using their logo 'cause it meant I got close enough to the real deal, but in hindsight, maybe too close for comfort for folks. Time will tell.

I hope for the best, but if Riot Games reaches out to me and tells me "No, you cannot do this", I will of course comply because this project was born out of love for them and what they do. The last thing I want to do is upset my favorite game studio. If Riot Games graciously allows it, I will do my best to redesign the keyset so it does not infringe upon the IP, but still remains close enough to it that true KDA fans can enjoy it, much like how KAT Eternal was designed. I will also take full responsibility for going about this the wrong way initially and disappointing those were truly excited for the set with me. To those who have been following me all this time & supporting the set, thank you from the bottom of my heart. If the worst case scenario were to pass, it would be knowing that I let the set's supporters down that would hit the hardest, including the vendors who put themselves at risk too for supporting my set. I've gotten to know so, so many lovely folks since this IC was posted, and my biggest fear is the disappointed and headaches the worst case scenario would cause to people I truly care about. It is my fault for jumping into this headfirst without considering the possible consequences for others rather just for myself. I sincerely apologize.

TLDR - I admit I have nothing legally on paper to protect my set from a C&D like the others mentioned above, it's just solid hearsay, but hearsay nonetheless. I was unnecessarily arrogant and ignorant when I launched this, but have matured since (20/20 hindsight). If things go awry, I won't be able to forgive myself for the falling out that will affect my supporters. I have no problems facing the consequences of my own actions, but I wish I could shield my supporters from whatever may happen as a result of my actions. Thank you for reading.
:) GB: May 4 - June 4, 2021 :)
Please see my website for all 30+ creative collabs.

Inspired by a certified banger from a Kpop group that’s out of this world, this keyset aims to be the baddest in the galaxy. Why? ‘Cause that’s what the baddest do!

KITS

PANTONES

VENDORS: TBA

GROUP BUY: TBA

PRICE: TBA

RENDERS

Fuji65 by CMM.Studio
More

Saka68 by CMM.Studio
More

Candybar by TheKey.Company
More

Sunsetter by Charue Design
More

Iron165 by Smith+Rune
More

M-60A by RAMA Works
More

DESKMAT: TBD

Ways to stay updated:AstroBunny Studios, Instagram, Geekhack, Reddit
I will NOT be having my own Discord server for DSA Encore 'cause I don't think anyone needs another server to join for this hobby. Instead, you can follow the #astrobunny-studios channel within the CKC Discordor visit my website.

CREDITS

Launch – the 1 who gave me that 1st push into designing & has been a source of sarcastic jokes & valuable advice since. Did I mention a true friend too?
Mintlodica – giving me my own space in your community to let me flourish & passing on your encouragement
CKC Discord – the support & feedback from this server has helped me tremendously as well as allowed me to learn so much about mech keebs in the cutest, most welcoming space
Lizcuits – if waterbenders are masters of water, then she’s a master of renders. Just look at those 4ks! Many laughs were had at the unpublished ridiculous renders done for the lulz. Helped me with the Hangul too!
Sentry – extremely chill, knowledgeable & down-to-Earth viking who doubled as my kitting adviser that never missed a beat nor a DM
Hakata – vector vigilante that helped me slay my issues with SVGs
Creative Collaborators – thank you all for believing in DSA Encore & wanting to lend me your creativity & talents for the set. I’m so excited for everyone to see what we have planned!

I spent 1.5hrs slaving away at this outdated UI so if there are formatting mistakes, feel free to point it out. I did this on a new set of blank keycaps so there are bound to be typos. I'm sorry. I hope the fancy diamond renders make up for it! :D

If you'd like to show your support for DSA Encore, please use the signature below~
Code: [Select]
[url=https://astrobunnystudios.com/][img width=350 height=120]https://astrobunnystudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Geekhack-Header-3840x2400.png[/img][/url]

If you're going to "advise" on how big of a legal risk this is, please don't. Thank you for the concern, I appreciate everyone trying to help, but I've already considered all of it - I really have - and will be continuing with the project as far as possible. For implicit reasons, I have that covered (for now). I strongly encourage you not to focus on the legal risk I'm taking, and instead focus on comments that have to do with the keyset (kitting, color, etc.). Wear a mask, wash your hands. Thank you!

DSA Encore was created under Riot Games’ “Legal Jibber Jabber” policy using assets owned by Riot Games. Riot Games does not endorse or sponsor this project. Some novelties subject to change.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2021, 15:35:38 by AstroBunny »

Offline whirlwind

Re: []
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:33:25 »
Reserved

Offline Pach

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:33:29 »
nice

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:33:53 »
NICE

Offline nicoles

• Portfolio
Re: [IC] DSA Encore
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:40:57 »
This looks so good~ I love the colors so much, great work!!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:47:49 »
so this is definitely ifk lol nobody else does that kitting

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 16:55:35 »
Legal Jibber Jabber
Last Updated: August 2018

We love our players and the awesome stuff they create. We support players who use our intellectual property (“IP”) to create free fan projects for the benefit of the community (“Projects”). We’re generally on board with Projects that follow the rules outlined below, but we can still shut down any Project at any time if we decide it misinterprets these rules or uses our IP inappropriately.

1. What can I develop with Riot’s IP?
TL;DR - Cool free stuff for the community to enjoy, with some exceptions

By formal decree of the Demacian High Court (our legal team): on the condition that you follow all of the rules described in this policy (the “Rules”) and the Terms of Use, Riot Games (“Riot” or “We”) grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-sublicenseable, non-transferable, revocable, limited license for you to use, display and create derivative works based upon Riot’s IP, strictly for noncommercial (except as specifically provided below) community use. We reserve the right to deny anyone the use of our IP at any time, for any reason or no reason, including when we decide, in our sole and absolute discretion, that you are using our IP inappropriately. If we deny you the right to use our IP, you must stop developing, publishing, or distributing your Project immediately.

2. No commercial projects (except…)
TL;DR - We allow passive ad revenue generation for some content, subscriptions and donations on streaming channels, and some commercial projects that comply with our API Terms and Policies and use a valid API key

You may not create commercial Projects, including any Project that crowdsources any portion of its funding, any Project that involves a business or legal entity, or any Project where you gate the content with a paywall (e.g., Patreon, YouTube Premium, etc.) without a written license agreement from us. We have only three exceptions.

The Three Exceptions
Exception 1: Ad Revenue
We permit individual players to promote their Projects on websites, streams, or videos and passively generate revenue through appropriate advertisements, including pre-roll ads, ad breaks, and sponsor ad overlays. No inappropriate ads—we alone decide what qualifies as inappropriate.

Exception 2: Gameplay Streaming
We permit individual players to solicit personal donations or offer subscription-based content while live-streaming games, so long as non-subscribers can still watch the games concurrently.

Exception 3: API Dev Terms and Policies
We permit commercial Projects that both (1) comply with our API Terms and API Policies; and (2) use a currently valid Riot API key that we granted to you specifically for your Project. We reserve the right to distribute and revoke API keys in our sole and absolute discretion. If we revoke your API key for any reason, you must immediately shut down your Project. 

3. No unauthorized games or apps.
We prohibit the use of our IP in games and apps. Please do not take any part of our IP (e.g., character appearance, character abilities, maps, icons, items, etc.) and use it in a game or app. To be super clear: we do not allow any Projects on the Apple Store or Google Play Store unless they have either a written license agreement from us or a valid Riot API key and comply with our API Terms and Policies (described above).

4. Does my Project have to include original content?
TL;DR - Yes. Please don’t just rip off existing stuff. Make something new!

You may not use a third party’s IP in your Project without their permission.

Don’t steal other people’s Projects; get their permission and give them credit.

Don’t just rip off or add some light commentary to existing content (e.g., esports matches, other players’ vods). Please make your own, original contribution to the community. We reserve the right to use services that identify our content automatically to prevent cannibalization of existing content.

5. Can I use Riot’s logos or trademarks?
TL;DR - No, we don’t want players to be confused about any possible connection between Riot and your Project.

Unless you have a written license agreement with us, you may not use any of our logos or trademarks anywhere in your Project or on any website, advertising material, video, or other publication. You may not register domain names, social media accounts, or similar stuff that uses Riot Games or any of our trademarks, trade names, character names, etc. You may not use our trademarks or names related to our IP as keywords or internet search tags. 

6. Can I share my Project with the community?
TL;DR - Defo. Just let people know it’s a fan Project, not a Riot project.

If you share your Project with others, please conspicuously include the following notice (e.g., on your Project’s website):

[The title of your Project] was created under Riot Games' "Legal Jibber Jabber" policy using assets owned by Riot Games.  Riot Games does not endorse or sponsor this project.

7. Can Riot use my Project?
TL;DR - Yes.

We want fans to create and share cool things with each other, and we want to remove barriers to sharing. If we spotlight a fan Project or make something that resembles what a fan might have made, we don’t want to be sued, so you give us permission to spotlight or share your Project with the world. More specifically: you agree that we may use, copy, modify, distribute, and make derivative works of your Project in any form, on a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide basis, for any purpose and without having to credit you, pay you anything, or obtain your approval.

So to wrap this up, here’s the summary: just follow these Rules so you don’t upset Corporate Mundo, and keep your Project free for the community to enjoy.
https://www.riotgames.com/en/legal

Offline NotJALC

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 17:13:21 »
I'm so happy your project is coming to life so fast Astro! Congrats, and you can be sure i'll be the baddest bish with my new keyset once I get it in my hands!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 17:21:50 »
Which manufacturer is this? Presumably IFK? You should include key information like this in your OP. You should also specify that it's dyesub, it might not be obvious to everyone.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:05:44 »
Honestly,

Best of luck. I wont be shocked if this gets pulled you are playing with riots current huge money maker. That has links to GIDLE and Twice, two other big idol groups.

The last two Idol GB had a super quick legal action, GMK Blink and KAT Comet (though not as big the desk mat got pulled day 1)

I mean im all for if trying, wish you luck just don't be surprised if hitting a huge wall of legal action.

To the real issues I have is 1, the helmet looks odd to me just empty honestly, 2. Your sig is off, you need to put a "code" section above it and post it so people can copy paste.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:38:29 by Raravin »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:09:36 »
It would be nice to include an alpha set without the hangul sublegends. other than that I wish for the best with ur IC

Offline AstroBunny

• AstroBunny Studios
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:21:58 »
Honestly,

Best of luck. I wont be shocked if this gets pulled you are playing with riots current huge money maker. That has links to GIDLE and Twice, two other big idol groups.

The last two Idol GB had a super quick legal action, GMK Blink and KAT Comet (though not as big the desk mat got pulled day 1)

I mean im all for if trying, wish you luck just don't be surprised if hitting a huge wall of legal action.

To the real issues I have is 1, the helmet looks odd to me just empty honestly, 2. Your sig is off, you need to put a "code" section above it and post it so people can copy paste.

Thanks for the tip about the signature, much appreciated :)\

And yeah I wouldn't be shocked either. Tons of ppl seem to think I didn't do my research, weigh the pros and cons, and reach out to the right people for this, it's hilarious. But I wasn't going to not at least try with this, and I didn't half ass this effort either. I know there are ppl who would love to see Encore get shut down, but that's not going to stop me from doing my best :D

Nothing great without risk was ever made.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 17:41:36 by AstroBunny »

Offline Raravin

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:29:04 »
Honestly,

Thanks for the tip about the signature, much appreciated :)\

And yeah I wouldn't be shocked either. Tons of ppl seem to think I didn't do my research, weigh the pros and cons, and reach out to the right people for this, it's hilarious really. WCS would be I get shut down. Oh wellm I move on to my next keyset that's all. But I wasn't going to not at least try with this, and I didn't half ass this effort either. I know there are ppl who would love to see Encore get shut down, but that's not going to stop me from doing my best :D

Nothing great without risk was ever made.

Say do research but missed the line of  No commercial projects (except…)
TL;DR - We allow passive ad revenue generation for some content, subscriptions and donations on streaming channels, and some commercial projects that comply with our API Terms and Policies and use a valid API key

You may not create commercial Projects, including any Project that crowdsources any portion of its funding, any Project that involves a business or legal entity, or any Project where you gate the content with a paywall (e.g., Patreon, YouTube Premium, etc.) without a written license agreement from us. We have only three exceptions.

Seems like you didnt, not to be a **** but the way its worded seems pretty cut and dry that this cant run.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:43:05 »

Tons of ppl seem to think I didn't do my research, weigh the pros and cons, and reach out to the right people for this, it's hilarious really.

This comment comes off extremely cocky, people are just trying to give you advice. Nobody was saying you didn't do your research. They just linked the legal site. I agree with Raravin, I think this might break the "No commercial projects" rule that they have. I'd be interested to see what they have to say if you did contact them about the set. We could totally be wrong with this, I'm always interested in hearing more about these things, what makes a keyset break IP, and what doesn't I know a ton of anime sets are grey area for IP.

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 18:45:47 »
Good luck, but Riot isn't a company I would take a chance on personally... they will defend their IP.

Offline AstroBunny

• AstroBunny Studios
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:04:23 »

Tons of ppl seem to think I didn't do my research, weigh the pros and cons, and reach out to the right people for this, it's hilarious really.

This comment comes off extremely cocky, people are just trying to give you advice. Nobody was saying you didn't do your research. They just linked the legal site. I agree with Raravin, I think this might break the "No commercial projects" rule that they have. I'd be interested to see what they have to say if you did contact them about the set. We could totally be wrong with this, I'm always interested in hearing more about these things, what makes a keyset break IP, and what doesn't I know a ton of anime sets are grey area for IP.

"Trying to give me advice"

They linked it when I already linked it in my post so what kind of advice is that??? How is linking something I ALREADY LINKED helpful at all? The speed at which they went to copy paste highlight link it as a comment seemed more like just that they wanted to be the 1st to "do something" which I found both annoying and amusing. It was not advice, and came across to me like they were trying to make it seem like I didn't do any research, which I found extremely offensive. I did not "miss the line" bla bla bla

I am not obligated to explicitly explain how I went about doing my research and who I talked to nor do I have the energy to type it out, but if things are so "cut and dry", why aren't they also linking the legal to everyone who sells digital/physical fanart/fanmerch of LoL at conventions (like Anime Expo) or SakimiChan, a literal Patreon artist that Riot Games very aware of and is not in possession of a written licensed agreement.

TLDR; I OBVIOUSLY KNOW VERY WELL THIS IS A RISK AND I DECIDED I WAS OK WITH THE RISK <3 I went into this half-expecting someone spiteful or petty enough to do their best to get this taken down. I will deal with that if it happens as I said so previously. Unless you are Riot Games, I am not looking for legal advice on this. Thank you.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:07:38 »
Please... consider making more posts and getting to know the community a bit before (build rapport) you make your Interest Check your very first post.
It's not a requirement but it's nice to know that you've read around the forum, and it helps when someone sees even a vaguely familiar face.

Your signature/header:
More

KDA Banner, for reference:
More

I am by no means a lawyer or legal expert, nor am I a KDA fan, but this is playing with very very dangerous fire, IMO.
Additionally, is the KDA Font even allowed/released for commercial use?

Edit:
At least you didn't stick with the last name it had.

Historically, we've had GMK Blink get C&D'd completely out of existence for more subtle references, and the deskmat for KAT Comet got pulled. [edit: see below]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:44:01 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline Raravin

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:11:42 »
Please... consider making more posts and getting to know the community a bit before (build rapport) you make your Interest Check your very first post.

Your signature/header:
Show Image

Show Image

I am by no means a lawyer or legal expert, nor am I a KDA fan, but this is playing with very very dangerous fire, IMO.

Edit:
Show Image

Historically, we've had GMK Blink get DMCA'd completely out of existence for more subtle references, and the deskmat for KAT Comet got pulled.

I mean should I also bring up the point of some of the stuff is legit ripped from characters like kisa cannons, the wolf  from akali helmet legit from the music video, should we just build an imgur album.

I am the #1 defender of sets that are close in colors  and stuff and not the one to bring up negative **** but come on.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:17:38 by Raravin »

Offline Chuttau

• Formerly botallu
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:35:38 »
Honestly,

just sliding in to say the deskmat for comet is cancelled not because of legal action, but simpliy the guy I hired to make it went to get smokes and never came back.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:38:45 »
Honestly,

just sliding in to say the deskmat for comet is cancelled not because of legal action, but simpliy the guy I hired to make it went to get smokes and never came back.

Thanks for the clarification! That's a huge shame, I hope you were able to dispute the Paypal transaction and get your money back.

Offline baksbaks

• don't be so angry all the time
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 19:54:37 »
Way to come off as overbearingly rude for your first IC post. Seriously, good luck with it. You'll need it.

Offline senesk

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 20:35:25 »
Love the colors and the theming, looking forward to this gb!

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:01:56 »

"Trying to give me advice"

They linked it when I already linked it in my post so what kind of advice is that??? How is linking something I ALREADY LINKED helpful at all? The speed at which they went to copy paste highlight link it as a comment seemed more like just that they wanted to be the 1st to "do something" which I found both annoying and amusing. It was not advice, and came across to me like they were trying to make it seem like I didn't do any research, which I found extremely offensive. I did not "miss the line" bla bla bla

I am not obligated to explicitly explain how I went about doing my research and who I talked to nor do I have the energy to type it out, but if things are so "cut and dry", why aren't they also linking the legal to everyone who sells digital/physical fanart/fanmerch of LoL at conventions (like Anime Expo) or SakimiChan, a literal Patreon artist that Riot Games very aware of and is not in possession of a written licensed agreement.

TLDR; I OBVIOUSLY KNOW VERY WELL THIS IS A RISK AND I DECIDED I WAS OK WITH THE RISK <3 I went into this half-expecting someone spiteful or petty enough to do their best to get this taken down. I will deal with that if it happens as I said so previously. Unless you are Riot Games, I am not looking for legal advice on this. Thank you.

It's very fair that to assume that a random person on the internet has not done their research (I'm not saying you haven't). You may have linked the their legal code/reference but you cannot assume that we have interpreted it the same way you have and clearly that was the case (a problem that is prevalent throughout law and and many other fields). Give us your interpretation to why this set should go on without a hitch.

As for more interpretations, I can take the statement "I OBVIOUSLY KNOW VERY WELL THIS IS A RISK AND I DECIDED I WAS OK WITH THE RISK" in a few different ways.

1. You know this is a risk and you may be actually violating their code but either making the money from the set is worth it.
2. You know this is a risk and you may be actually violating their code but the set is so good that it is worth it.
3. The risk isn't yours to bear which is what makes the risk okay
4. You see a way this set could work but you have to be careful

What all of them have in common that you may be violating their legal reference, which is what it makes me concerned for those that may give money to a set that has an issue of the legality of it. We have recent examples like GMK White Wolf and Blink that make us a little more sensitive about sets like this and that is completely fair. Perhaps after dealing with GMK Blink, TKC may have more insight to what is allowed and what is not? (my assumption is that this is IFK) Perhaps an explanation of that would be helpful.

Moving on to comments of the set itself; I do not like the colour combination and I'm partial to the cherry profile. Although I do enjoy league, this set is not for me. For K/DA fans, maybe you could consider a golden accent colour as I believe that the K/DA outfits have golden accents.

Again, this is not meant to be an attack on you but more on the emphasis of communication and I hope you figure out a way for this set to work out.  ;D

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 10:06:35 by ilikerustoo »

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:06:03 »
I don't necessarily agree with the way op is running their IC, their tone, or the subject matter of the set, but I find it rather ironic and a bit strange that the majority of the negative commenters are all people who have run sets profiting off of others IP, without the owners permission. Maybe I'm missing something.

Offline Raravin

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:09:17 »
I don't necessarily agree with the way op is running their IC, their tone, or the subject matter of the set, but I find it rather ironic and a bit strange that the majority of the negative commenters are all people who have run sets profiting off of others IP, without the owners permission. Maybe I'm missing something.

Partial difference is anime has always had a gray area aka doujhin etc that they allow, know about and just sort of let it be cause "free advertising" most dont also have that legal term like Riot does blatantly saying you cannot sell it with our assets

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:18:04 »

You're right, there is a certain sense of irony there. However, it's not like derivative fan works are a new thing in this hobby - it does seem like pushing the boundaries further and further is a relatively recent trend, though I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:26:28 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:26:03 »
The amount of geekhack lawyers and butthurt grown men over internet words is astounding...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline bowen

• 20 • no my pfp isnt me
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:56:27 »
like the set a lot. huge fan of kda and would love to see this come to life but yea, glw riot

you should also stop posting projects on instagram and acting as if they're solely yours when they're not :)

stop being so rude to others, glwic!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 21:58:02 by bowen »

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 22:27:33 »
Not a fan of the font but others seem to be. GLWIC!

Offline AstroBunny

• AstroBunny Studios
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 23:29:10 »
It's not a requirement but it's nice to know that you've read around the forum, and it helps when someone sees even a vaguely familiar face.

Your signature/header:
More
Show Image

More
Show Image

Edit:
Show Image

Historically, we've had GMK Blink get C&D'd completely out of existence for more subtle references, and the deskmat for KAT Comet got pulled. [edit: see below]

Thank you for confirming I did such a good job emulating the art style the keyset is based on! That's my goal, despite the risk that I'm well aware of.
As for your font concern, a quick Google search by anyone will produce https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/jjfs29/kda_font/
Worry not fellow keeber, I've done more than enough of worrying on my end.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2020, 23:31:30 by AstroBunny »

Offline Nutty

• Twitch
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 01:44:35 »
I think this set is fine however I won’t be supporting it. Your responses in this thread come off quite cocky and arrogant and for being so new and to treat the community this way is the wrong way to gain any real support in you as a person. Even complaining about slaving away making the IC makes me believe that if you can’t commit to some text why is your potential customer believe that you actually care about putting the effort into your own IC. Good luck, you will need it.

Lastly if there is a response to this I won’t be replying as I’d rather not bump this thread any more.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 01:55:47 by nuttykids3 »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 02:18:56 »
Historically, we've had GMK Blink get C&D'd completely out of existence for more subtle references

"Blink" is literally a trademarked name used by Blackpink for marketing. Subtle?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 03:00:23 »
The fascinating thing is that you could have straight up not told me, personally, that this was from LoL and I wouldn't have thought anymore of it. I guess if it's enough of a homage for you to feel happy creating an unofficial product as a love letter to a company that doesn't even want you to distribute this, then by all means. I've never been a fan of selling a set solely based on recognition without getting licensing, it feels alienating to everyone except those in that circle and disingenuous to to the source material. Without your inspiration and themes all that is left is the colors, and man have I seen what you have chosen in many sets before.

However it is smart that you're going with somebody like TKC and IFK as they don't have harsh policies in place to strike this kinda stuff down like GMK does. Gotta find those manus that don't care!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 03:06:19 by Kokaloo »

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 09:13:21 »
I strongly encourage you to not focus on the legal risk - that's my worry, not yours

When you’re talking about a project where you would be looking to solicit money from interested parties who would like to buy the finished product, the legal risk is implicitly their concern too.

Offline Euro

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 11:05:10 »
Most of these pre existing icons were created by riot which is kinda iffy but you seem confident in it maybe because of your personal connections to riot. But won’t be supporting this set especially with the bad attitude you’ve displayed towards people that have brought up concerns with this set. People that want to buy this set have a right to be concerned if they’re going to be putting money into it.

Offline SnowyMinion

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 13:59:20 »
The set's very cute and badass but I find it a bit weird that you're against people voicing their concerns when this is an IC

Offline Honey

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 22:03:11 »
In your link to Riot’s Jibber Jabber it states that “You may not create commercial Projects, including any Project that crowdsources any portion of its funding, any Project that involves a business or legal entity..”
Not a legal expert by any means but I think this may fall under that category and would need approval by Riot.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 09:11:36 »
Is that main legend font...impact???

Offline Pach

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 09:15:59 »
Is that main legend font...impact???

Huh, seems like it. I didn't even know that it was impact until I checked. I think it still fits the theme, though.

Offline Katsurio

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 21:10:02 »
Is this going to be made by Signature Plastics, Infinikey, or whom (question within a question: is this the correct use of whom, lol?)?

Offline dandruff

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 22:05:35 »
Is this going to be made by Signature Plastics, Infinikey, or whom (question within a question: is this the correct use of whom, lol?)?
I’ll just answer this on behalf of her! It will be Infinikey/TKC

Offline koe

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 15:39:58 »
What a mess.

I'm a huge fan of the whole KDA group that Riot has put out, but I won't be supporting this kit.
Like others have said, your way of handling and replying to other members is rude.
Do you really think people are NOT going to discuss legal matters when it's something you're asking them to put money into?

If you're going to "advise" on how big of a legal risk this is, please don't. Thank you for the concern, I appreciate everyone trying to help, but I've already considered all of it - I really have - and will be continuing with the project as far as possible. For implicit reasons, I have that covered (for now). I strongly encourage you not to focus on the legal risk I'm taking, and instead focus on comments that have to do with the keyset

This just reads like a red flag to me. "Don't ask about the legality of this, really, dont ask if I have the rights to do this".

You obviously could have contacted Riot and gotten their approval, but I don't know why you're so against sharing your reasoning. It's great and all that you seemed to have figured it out, but we don't know what the reasons are. Riot's legal page, as mentioned by other users, prohibits projects like these. So when you say you've done all your research and someone reads this, they're going to wonder if you missed that section. What else do you expect when you linked the legal site and it literally says that this project is against TOS?

What's so hard about explaining why this GB isn't in violation? You're asking people to invest into your project but you're extremely standoffish when people voice their concerns.

I am not obligated to explicitly explain how I went about doing my research and who I talked to nor do I have the energy to type it out

We are also not obligated to support this GB. This is even more red flags when you say that you refuse to explain legal issues.
"nor do I have the energy to type it out" I don't even know what to say to this. Again, you want people's support and investment but you don't have the energy to properly reply to concerns.

everyone who sells digital/physical fanart/fanmerch
SakimiChan, a literal Patreon artist that Riot Games very aware of and is not in possession of a written licensed agreement
KNOW VERY WELL THIS IS A RISK AND I DECIDED I WAS OK WITH THE RISK

I could be completely wrong, but from what I've read it seems like you haven't actually gotten approval.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 15:49:11 »
Oh no Kpop themed things are never a good idea
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Owl

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:05:21 »
Hoping Riot polishes it up and runs this because I actually quite like the colors and imagery that Riot used to develop this theme. Riot has always had an incredible team of very talented artists and designers and I enjoy the effort that Riot puts into their video game and merchandise. Kudos to you Riot!

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:19:13 »
If there is a lawsuit, you probably won't be able to fulfill orders, and people might lose their money. This is a valid concern, and you should try to take these comments both seriously and gracefully. Posting an Interest Check but saying "don't say x or y" isn't being true to the spirit of an IC because it detracts from your ability to check interest.

Anyway GL, I do like seeing DSA sets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:38:58 by mustardgreens »

Offline tf2skywalker

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 23:42:41 »
gibe now lol

Offline Jolt

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 10:39:04 »
I am all in on this set

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 13:54:12 »
Damn, I was excited to see the kit and everything. Love the colors even thought the lettering looks a little wonky. Still, it bears repeating like everyone else has said. IC's are just that. Interest checks. You're trying to run a product that the community has to be interested in buying in the first place so it's a hella bad look coming off as arrogant. Enjoy the set, but not supporting your toxicity.

Offline KVLT

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 14:09:28 »
i think the font is brave as ****
all the novelties are a no go for me...
i want the set in kat with this colorway and less/////

well//// why does everyone have to mention a brand so all weebs cry butthurt?
the bad guy wins in this one

Offline bdju

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 11:19:26 »
It's nice to see a DSA set. I'm sick of all the GMK stuff everywhere.

I would love to see a homing kit for dvorak/colemak/workman users, maybe include an A homing key to cover QGMLWB (carpalx) as well. KAM Superuser's homing kit covered everything I could think of.
libre lad