Author Topic: [IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - NEW GB FORMAT!)  (Read 71627 times)

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
If you change the profile of qwerty row, asd row, and zxc row into the same, then you don't have to create 3 different alpha kits. And that might help the whole set to be tipped.

But then you wouldn't have the sculpted profile, you'd have just another row 3 SA kit.

CJ made a point here, Renne.

This same thing was suggested by Melissa when I requested MOQ prices for the Colemak and Dvorak Alphas. Swapping the letters positioning would easily solve this problem, non-standard people would only need a Homing Kit in order to achieve their Dvorak and Colemak layouts.

However, because Cospar is going to be completely sculptured, swapping alphas would basically destroy the ergonomy and look of people's keyboards.

That's why I decided to design completely independent alpha packages, you feel me?

Offline renne

If you change the profile of qwerty row, asd row, and zxc row into the same, then you don't have to create 3 different alpha kits. And that might help the whole set to be tipped.

But then you wouldn't have the sculpted profile, you'd have just another row 3 SA kit.

CJ made a point here, Renne.

This same thing was suggested by Melissa when I requested MOQ prices for the Colemak and Dvorak Alphas. Swapping the letters positioning would easily solve this problem, non-standard people would only need a Homing Kit in order to achieve their Dvorak and Colemak layouts.

However, because Cospar is going to be completely sculptured, swapping alphas would basically destroy the ergonomy and look of people's keyboards.

That's why I decided to design completely independent alpha packages, you feel me?
Yeah, I know. Hope Colemak and Dvorak users could make it tipped. I'm okay with your design, since I'm a qwerty user, haha. :D

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
My biggest concern is too few people buying Colemak and not being able to tip it, but they don't get alerted to that. If there's no time to convert their Colemak order into a Qwerty order, someone's going to end up with a modifier pack and no alphas. I'm hoping Melissa could kindly help on this if it comes to that once orders are closed.

Having these as addon kits appeals to people who want Qwerty as a fallback, but probably would be upsetting to someone who doesn't intend to use Qwerty.

My thoughts: Lets see what happens. It's an interesting gamble. We'll surely have a disproportionate amount of people going Qwerty because it's what they know, and avoiding Colemak and Dvorak because it's more expensive. I think only people with cash to spare would buy into a set of full alphas that isn't the more popular choice.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
My biggest concern is too few people buying Colemak and not being able to tip it, but they don't get alerted to that. If there's no time to convert their Colemak order into a Qwerty order, someone's going to end up with a modifier pack and no alphas. I'm hoping Melissa could kindly help on this if it comes to that once orders are closed.

Having these as addon kits appeals to people who want Qwerty as a fallback, but probably would be upsetting to someone who doesn't intend to use Qwerty.

My thoughts: Lets see what happens. It's an interesting gamble. We'll surely have a disproportionate amount of people going Qwerty because it's what they know, and avoiding Colemak and Dvorak because it's more expensive. I think only people with cash to spare would buy into a set of full alphas that isn't the more popular choice.

This is indeed very serious CJ, that's why I chose a lower and yet affordable tier for Cole and Dvo.

15 is a realistic number and maybe, it will succeed.

I'm pretty sure Melissa will be able to cancel the "Modifier-only" orders for Colemakers and Dvoers, if their Alphas don't eventually tip. However, this would happen only if the cancelled orders aren't too many...

Because what if they drop the Modifiers orders to a point below the tipping point?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Offline cjhard

I'd rather my order be changed to the cheaper QWERTY with full impact on the MOQ of QWERTY (49 people order qwerty, 3 people dvorak, 3 people move to qwerty and causes a new tier to be hit), as well as that tier and differing product being reflected on the invoice after the GB is over.

There's currently no way in this GB system to specify that ordered product A is dependent on ordered product B tipping, and alternate product C is acceptable in place of ordered product B, or cancel ordered product A if B fails

Offline Data

You could probably arrange that if you email Melissa.

Or MiTo could message her about it and maybe make it part of the GB that if one or both of the alternate layouts fail to tip, they default to Qwerty to keep the rest of the GB from falling apart..

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Re: [IC] Cospar SA (PRICES ON OP! - COLEMAK, DVO AND QWERTY FRIENDLY! - VOTE NOW!)
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 08:56:21 »
You could probably arrange that if you email Melissa.

Or MiTo could message her about it and maybe make it part of the GB that if one or both of the alternate layouts fail to tip, they default to Qwerty to keep the rest of the GB from falling apart..

I'd rather my order be changed to the cheaper QWERTY with full impact on the MOQ of QWERTY (49 people order qwerty, 3 people dvorak, 3 people move to qwerty and causes a new tier to be hit), as well as that tier and differing product being reflected on the invoice after the GB is over.

There's currently no way in this GB system to specify that ordered product A is dependent on ordered product B tipping, and alternate product C is acceptable in place of ordered product B, or cancel ordered product A if B fails

I'm sorry for taking so long to answer you guys, College has been killing me these past couple of weeks. I've got a last test on Friday and then I'll have a nice time window, I believe we'll be good.

Regarding these suggestions you guys made, I believe that the we can set a up a "If This Than This" system with Signature Plastics for Cospar.

Something like this:

* QWERTY Alphas are the main priority;
* Modifiers are the secondary priority;
* Dvorak and Colemak are both terciary;

• If both Colemak and Dvorak fail, both Dvorak and Colemak orders instantly combine with QWERTY orders, regardless of how many orders were placed for Colemak and Dvorak;
  • If Colemak fails and Dvorak tips, Colemak orders combine with QWERTY orders, regardless of how many Colemak orders were placed;
  • If Dvorak fails and Colemak tips, Dvorak orders combine with QWERTY orders, regadless of how many Dvorak orders were placed.

Problem is that I don't know if Signature Plastics will accept this (I think they will agree), but if they do, maybe customers will claim the following, in the future:

"But I wanted Colemak/Dvorak Alphas, and that only! Not getting Colemak/Dvorak is a deal breaker cause I don't own a QWERTY board. I want a refund!"

And in the worst case scenario, refunds will pile up to a point where the Modifiers will fall below their 50 MOQ tipping point.

We've got two options:

-> Set up the ITTT system mentioned above and hopefully, people won't complain if their layout (Dvo/Cole) eventually fail;
-> Offer a Base Set (QWERTY + Mods) and sculptured Dvo/Cole add-ons as child deals, like it was before my 'splitting update'.

What do you guys think?

Offline Data

Re: [IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - PRICES ON OP! - JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!)
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 09:51:28 »
MiTo - You can also ask Melissa if they'd be willing to force the Dvorak and Colemak sets to tip at whatever Order Quantity they happen to be at, assuming all the other kits tip.  I've seen them do this before for kits that were very close but didn't tip.  SP understands that some people would rather cancel their entire order if a specific child deal doesn't tip, because that might make the entire keyset useless to them.

Offline cjhard

Re: [IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - PRICES ON OP! - JOIN OUR DISCUSSION!)
« Reply #308 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 10:47:41 »
It'd be nice if they had a committal dependency.

Mods commit depends on a and/or b
Dvorak commit at Tip, optionally fallback to x

where  user could specify if dvorak does not tip, fallback on a more popular alpha's pack, or don't get alphas, which causes the dependant modifiers to not order.

You could also include only the alphas that are static to all layouts in the mods kit, and deltas for dvorak and colemak and qwerty.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
Re: [IC] Cospar SA (GB DEC 1st! - NEW GB FORMAT!)
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:13:10 »
It'd be nice if they had a committal dependency.

Mods commit depends on a and/or b
Dvorak commit at Tip, optionally fallback to x

where  user could specify if dvorak does not tip, fallback on a more popular alpha's pack, or don't get alphas, which causes the dependant modifiers to not order.

You could also include only the alphas that are static to all layouts in the mods kit, and deltas for dvorak and colemak and qwerty.

MiTo - You can also ask Melissa if they'd be willing to force the Dvorak and Colemak sets to tip at whatever Order Quantity they happen to be at, assuming all the other kits tip.  I've seen them do this before for kits that were very close but didn't tip.  SP understands that some people would rather cancel their entire order if a specific child deal doesn't tip, because that might make the entire keyset useless to them.

The IFTT system was way too complicated and I believe that if we decided to go with it, Cospar would fail.

A more realist GB format was adopted, like we had before. The delta system Data suggested would cause confusion within first time customers so even though it was a nice idea, I believe it's too risky.

However, the Colepar and Dvoryke kits were tuned and the "ABORT" keycap on the Copsars was switched to "PANIC" in order to reduce costs.

Updated op.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 17:14:42 by MiTo »

Offline Arvid

« Reply #310 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:34:38 »
So whats the status on this?

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:47:03 »
can someone lock this thread since mito is no longer on geekhack (i think)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:18:05 »
can someone lock this thread since mito is no longer on geekhack (i think)

I reported it but nobody locked it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90