Author Topic: Undocumented Low Profile Linear Alps Switch  (Read 3232 times)

Offline matt-taco

Undocumented Low Profile Linear Alps Switch
« on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 00:00:46 »
welp, says what it is. I love this keyboard and these switches, been typing on it for a week (including 4 lab reports). The case is a bit flimsy though, the center flexes when I type as hard as I want to. This phenomena is common with early Hi-tek AT keyboards, which is really sad. High quality switches ruined by bad cases.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Undocumented Low Profile Linear Alps Switch
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 07:37:24 »
I don't think it's undocumented, from the looks of it I would say it's dome & slider with an ALPS mount slider. I could be wrong though, on a closer look of your pic it could be discrete switches. Would need better pics to say for sure.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2023, 07:38:58 by Rob27shred »

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 10:15:05 »
I don't think it's undocumented, from the looks of it I would say it's dome & slider with an ALPS mount slider. I could be wrong though, on a closer look of your pic it could be discrete switches. Would need better pics to say for sure.

No, they are discrete switches that are certainly not a variation on Alps Integrated Domes, at far as I can tell by feel. They are linear with almost a Cherry MX clear stiffening towards the bottom-out.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 10:20:01 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255989407026https://www.ebay.com/itm/255989407026

here is the listing for a fairly inexpensive NOS specimen.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 11:59:10 »

No, they are discrete switches that are certainly not a variation on Alps Integrated Domes, at far as I can tell by feel. They are linear with almost a Cherry MX clear stiffening towards the bottom-out.

Oh damn, yeah looks you have come across something not documented! Sounds pretty interesting, might have to grab up that one you linked me too, good look with that!

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 13:37:04 »
welp, says what it is. I love this keyboard and these switches, been typing on it for a week (including 4 lab reports). The case is a bit flimsy though, the center flexes when I type as hard as I want to. This phenomena is common with early Hi-tek AT keyboards, which is really sad. High quality switches ruined by bad cases.
make a custom case for it
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 March 2023, 16:47:16 »
Hey, update. I found out that they are on the Deskthority Wiki. The switches are the tall version of the SKFR switches. There is only a photo of them in the disassembly section of the wiki.

If you haven't bought one of the keyboards, you definitely should.