Author Topic: Thoughts on iPhone 5S / 5C?  (Read 15744 times)

Offline Altis

Re: Thoughts on iPhone 5S / 5C?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 21:54:03 »
Wouldn't it be ironic if they got your fingerprint by taking a high resolution macro photo of the finger print home button itself.

It's interesting stuff, but it's not something I particularly want.  Kind of like touch screen desktops, cloud services, etc...
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 22:38:04 »
I just want to stop my brother and friends from putting up ridiculous backgrounds on my phone and changing the language to Japanese. As far as 4 digit codes or swipe patterns go I have personally got past those patterns just by watching my brother access his S3 from time to time. I think people are looking too deeply into this scanner as if there phone contains nude pictures of Mila Kunis or nuclear launch codes.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline tormentor

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 11:19:54 »
Lol. That's what I think of iSheep.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 20:33:56 »
The 5s is a solid phone. As usual though, if you already have the immediate predecessor (the iPhone 5), there's no need to rush and upgrade. Unless you want Touch ID. I think that it's going to be one of those things that once you've used it you wouldn't want to go back to the old way of doing things. The 5s is a great upgrade if you're on a 4s though.

The 5c is an exercise in badge engineering. It's basically an iPhone 5, changed for two important reasons:

1) Different exterior design gets rid of the "buying last year's model" stigma.
2) It's most probably cheaper to make than the current iPhone 5.

Unfortunately, although the 5c is the cheaper iPhone model, it's actually a very expensive phone compared to what's out there. I wouldn't really recommend getting the 5c. If you're going to be spending that kind of money on a phone you might as well get the 5s.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 21:22:33 »
I was planning on buying a 5S later this month but I think after reading this I will wait.

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/10/07/a-closer-look-at-the-iphone-5s-and-apples-faulty-sensors/#14

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:28:37 »
Apple might leave the fault in, and alter the OS to compensate.

Or provide exchanges.

Of the more than 9 million sold so far, the number of problem handsets is probably extremely low.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 00:42:20 »
It sounds like it could be a lot of handsets and they're not all malfunctioning by the same amount either. I know they will fix/exchange it but I'm not sure I want to buy one knowing there's a good change I will face some problems that could just be a big hassle to get fixed. I'm already on a waiting list for one....

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:34:28 »
I say if you have a 4s or lower or an android or windows then yes get the 5s if you have a 5 then wait for 6 :) The 64 bit OS is sweet but still 1GB RAM so no go for me to upgrade. Ive upgraded every model too!  :eek: :p :thumb:

Offline sordna

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 20:38:42 »
Out of topic, but when you have an AT&T iPhone unlocked, does the Personal Hotspot menu option appear, or do you still get the stupid message telling you to call 611 or visit the att website ?  What happens if you put another carrier's sim, do you still get the message to call at&t to enable the personal hotspot?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 22:17:49 »
I just want to stop my brother and friends from putting up ridiculous backgrounds on my phone and changing the language to Japanese. As far as 4 digit codes or swipe patterns go I have personally got past those patterns just by watching my brother access his S3 from time to time. I think people are looking too deeply into this scanner as if there phone contains nude pictures of Mila Kunis or nuclear launch codes.

Mila nudes > codes
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:56:19 »
If anyone here is looking at the new iPhones and hasn't already got an iPhone as an iPhone 5 user (and previous iphone 4 user) I'd suggest waiting for io7 to be fixed. It's so buggy and ****ty atm it's a real bummer. So many aspects of it are broken, sluggish and just bad.

I'd wait for another year and get the iPhone 6 that will probablly be a significant change from the 5's and with any luck have some upgrades and fixes for iOS 7

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:27:31 »
I have been waiting forever for the 5S to be available in my town and I've been getting screwed over again and again. I really planned on getting this phone but it seems like by the time I can get it, it will already be 4 months old or so. So do I wait for 6 or just get it? My iPhone 4 is just incredibly slow and outdated. And no, I absolutely will not go droid or windows. Nothing against those who do use them I just don't want anything else.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:37:27 »
If anyone here is looking at the new iPhones and hasn't already got an iPhone as an iPhone 5 user (and previous iphone 4 user) I'd suggest waiting for io7 to be fixed. It's so buggy and ****ty atm it's a real bummer. So many aspects of it are broken, sluggish and just bad.

I'd wait for another year and get the iPhone 6 that will probablly be a significant change from the 5's and with any luck have some upgrades and fixes for iOS 7

I upgraded to the newest iOS 7 firmware and all of my backups got corrupted somehow. Had to load a 5 month old backup. Lost a ton of ****!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:49:54 »
I have been waiting forever for the 5S to be available in my town and I've been getting screwed over again and again. I really planned on getting this phone but it seems like by the time I can get it, it will already be 4 months old or so. So do I wait for 6 or just get it? My iPhone 4 is just incredibly slow and outdated. And no, I absolutely will not go droid or windows. Nothing against those who do use them I just don't want anything else.

If you have a 4, why didn't you get a 5?
I got a 4 about 3months after it came out and upgraded to a 5 when it came out, seems the best way to go about it, upgrading to the .5 hardware updates seems super lame IMO...
Given the price i dont see the point in buying a 5C, the S is a better phone and you can put it in a coloured case if that's what you want...

But if you can wait for the 6, or at least for iOS7 to not suck total **** then I'd wait, it's been nothing but a total bummer... having all my old standing well made apps ruined to fit the new look and having the OS randomly break and crash for seemingly no reason.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 08:51:38 »

I'm running ios 7.0.3 fine on my 4S tho :/
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 08:57:19 »

I'm not talking about its performance, just that the OS has so many problems I never had on iOS 6, though when the App draw works, its pretty good.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 09:17:33 »

I'm not talking about its performance, just that the OS has so many problems I never had on iOS 6, though when the App draw works, its pretty good.

I see. It's not that snappy on the 4S. I've seen my friend's 5 and it feels so much snappier.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 09:30:59 »

I see. It's not that snappy on the 4S. I've seen my friend's 5 and it feels so much snappier.

Yeah I can imagine, but even so... using the phone is now so much slower becasue I have to wait so long for the silly new animations...

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 10:41:15 »
More

Yeah I can imagine, but even so... using the phone is now so much slower becasue I have to wait so long for the silly new animations...

I understand what you mean. It's suppose to look nicer and most fluid I guess compared to the older OS.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 11:56:25 »
Yea I didn't upgrade from 4 to 5 because my contract is just now coming to an end and they are just too expensive to buy straight up. I'll see what happens. I also have a feeling the 6 is going to be significantly different to compete with all the options out there from other companies.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 11:59:40 »
Yea I didn't upgrade from 4 to 5 because my contract is just now coming to an end and they are just too expensive to buy straight up. I'll see what happens. I also have a feeling the 6 is going to be significantly different to compete with all the options out there from other companies.

I wouldn't go betting on it being too different... sure it'll probably look different and be faster but if you look at the change between the 3GS and the 4.. and the 4 and the 5 the differences aren't so big and the only really meaningful change since the original iphone was the jump in screen size

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 13:00:13 »

Thats the only reason I want the 5s is for the 64 bit processor to make the animations run better. You can disable most of them in settings though, I did.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:49:35 »

Thats the only reason I want the 5s is for the 64 bit processor to make the animations run better. You can disable most of them in settings though, I did.

run better? And how do you disable the animations?
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:53:03 by baldgye »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:40:41 »

run better? And how do you disable the animations?

Faster processor means no / less lag.

Settings, general, accessibility, reduce motion On.
Also I turn background app refresh off .

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 04:03:03 »
Reduce motion, dsnt that just remove the bkground scrolling??

Also my iphone 5 has zero lag... It's just that every animation takes 4x as long as it did in the previous OS for no reason other than to look nice... And that's a push... It's actually insane if you lock your phone and then see how long it takes for you to open spotlight it takes so much longer on the new OS than precious versions simply because your waiting on animations.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 04:26:16 »
Overhyped, overpriced and locked in. I prefer to be able to customise my phone experience and have GOOD sensors and AMOLED displays. Got a Note 2.

Although while Android claims to give you true freedom, it's not quite true. you're still locked in and analysed since you have to have a Google account to use it. But there's not much out there to compete.

I'm far more excited about Jolla!

Truly open OS and Android app compatibility. Best of both worlds :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline sordna

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 08:49:57 »
Ubuntu Phone looks interesting too
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:57:43 »
Reduce motion, dsnt that just remove the bkground scrolling??

Also my iphone 5 has zero lag... It's just that every animation takes 4x as long as it did in the previous OS for no reason other than to look nice... And that's a push... It's actually insane if you lock your phone and then see how long it takes for you to open spotlight it takes so much longer on the new OS than precious versions simply because your waiting on animations.

Youre right it just reduces it, it doesnt disable everything. I see what your saying yes it does take longer!

OMG YES here is my money!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:52:44 »

Yup, that's a nice one, too, although they didn't reach their kickstarter goal, but I don't think that will stop them.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:15:01 »
My thoughts would be not to upgrade if you have the normal 5, because a slightly more stabilized camera and a treat for the NSA, plus a 0.3 something times faster processor isn't worth another 700 - 1000 dollars.

If you have the 4/4S or didn't have one at all, totally go for one, though.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****