Author Topic: Remembering smallfry: One Year Later  (Read 13924 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Remembering smallfry: One Year Later
« on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 10:50:38 »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
Re: Remembering smallfry: One Year Later
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:26:29 »
Very touching video, although I never knew smallfry he seemed like a really great guy from the posts I've stumbled upon.

May he rest in peace.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:33:48 »
Thank you SmallFry for your inspiration and, most of all, your friendship. You will forever live on in my heart.

I miss you. Rest in peace, brother.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:41:02 »
I miss sitting in irc hearing about whatever new project you had in the works.

RIP SmallFry.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 11:46:03 »
He always had a super positive attitude about everything, regardless of the situation. He certainly added a positive energy to GH.

RIP...

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 12:27:47 »
Its incredible how fast the last year has passed. SmallFry's passion and love for this hobby shined bright.

Rest in peace brother.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:14:59 »

Smallfry and I used to talk multiple times daily in IRC. One of my favorite running jokes with him was teasing him good-natured-ly about his love for Taylor Swift. I remember when this song came out and I learned all the lyrics. I would drop lines all the time and he'd either laugh or get ruffled.

If you can on Saturday, remember Smallfry in the best way we know how: Put Taylor Swift on and work on a keyboard project. I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22.

Miss you Nate.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:31:16 »
Smallfry was the first person I talked to on IRC before I even made my GH account.. can't believe it's been one year

RIP Nate

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:11:36 »
On June 30, 2013, I received a reddit PM from retspiR. It essentially said, "Smallfry is gone, you should try and take his place." Being the angry teenager I was (and still am) I jumped at the opportunity to be something great.

Within probably 2 minutes I knew that I would never be as great as Nathan was. I never got the chance to talk to him, but I could see from everyone's reaction that he was an incredible human being. Instead of striving to be better than he was, I've been striving to be as good as he was.

If I've even become 2% as awesome as Nate in this past year, I consider it a success.

Every time I see the Q&A post in GON's subforum I take a few minutes to read some of his posts. I usually just pick a random page. I've never gone all the way back, mostly for my own sake, but I think it might be good if some of you read just a few of his posts, especially if you didn't know him.

RIP Nate, I hope to be at least 5% as awesome as you by this time next year. Aiming high.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:44:51 »
Like many who have posted already, I find it hard to believe that it has been a year already.

SmallFry's presence is still woven into the fabric of GeekHack and I'm reminded of him almost every day. Wether it's his icon peeking out from under the banner, visiting threads that he started that are STILL active and read everyday, or revisiting an old PM that he sent me. His humor, his voracious energy and enthusiasm as well as his friendship are certainly missed, but thinking of him still puts a smile on my face.

So it's been a year and I still haven't built up my Phantom (he was going to build it) and I now have the same forum title that he does. It's bitter sweet when I think of things like this and all the "could of's". Those pangs of loss have softened just a hint this year, but they are still there.

Then my thoughts turn to his family and how open and caring they were to open up their home last year and invite us in to share our sense of loss. We swapped stories, filled in a few blanks regarding their son's hobby and did what people do -- try to make sense of a completely unfathomable event.

In SmallFry's family I saw the blueprint of what made him so unique and so special. There's an old adage that goes, "the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree", and I think that definitely applies here. BigFry and MamaFry provided the best of all branches for SmallFry to leap from and as we sat around that Sunday telling stories it was clear that he was an amazing kid.

All of us here may have only seen a one small part of his life, but Nathan's passion for things and willingness to reach out and help others was part of everything he did.  That vibrant energy he had for mechanical keyboards found a home here at GeekHack and it clearly left a lasting impression. 

I miss him.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 18:46:47 by mashby »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:34:34 »
I was only a new user when he passed but in year since then it's become pretty obvious that he touched a lot of people's hearts here and left a big hole when he went.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 05:44:43 »
Thinking of the Nater Tater today.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 07:17:22 »
Like many who have posted already, I find it hard to believe that it has been a year already.

SmallFry's presence is still woven into the fabric of GeekHack and I'm reminded of him almost every day. Wether it's his icon peeking out from under the banner, visiting threads that he started that are STILL active and read everyday, or revisiting an old PM that he sent me. His humor, his voracious energy and enthusiasm as well as his friendship are certainly missed, but thinking of him still puts a smile on my face.

So it's been a year and I still haven't built up my Phantom (he was going to build it) and I now have the same forum title that he does. It's bitter sweet when I think of things like this and all the "could of's". Those pangs of loss have softened just a hint this year, but they are still there.

Then my thoughts turn to his family and how open and caring they were to open up their home last year and invite us in to share our sense of loss. We swapped stories, filled in a few blanks regarding their son's hobby and did what people do -- try to make sense of a completely unfathomable event.

In SmallFry's family I saw the blueprint of what made him so unique and so special. There's an old adage that goes, "the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree", and I think that definitely applies here. BigFry and MamaFry provided the best of all branches for SmallFry to leap from and as we sat around that Sunday telling stories it was clear that he was an amazing kid.

All of us here may have only seen a one small part of his life, but Nathan's passion for things and willingness to reach out and help others was part of everything he did.  That vibrant energy he had for mechanical keyboards found a home here at GeekHack and it clearly left a lasting impression. 

I miss him.

If you got all the parts I will build up that phantom for you.  I feel like Smallfry would offer this if he saw that in a post.  In all seriousness I will build that Phantom up for you for free (just pay shipping at least one way) Provided you have the parts.

I have been working on my custom project slowly but surely over the last year.  I hope to finally get this project finished by the next KeyCon Midwest.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:16:51 »
Thinking about Nate this weekend and the good times we had at meetups and constant correspondence on and off geekhack.

He was an inspiration to me - proof that age is not a barrier to pursue your ideas and dreams.  The gold standard for kindness and bringing a community together.  One of a kind.

My thoughts and prayers go out to BigFry, MamaFry, and SisterFry as they tackle this tough milestone, hopefully with a smile and not a tear.

Miss ya buddy

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:17:06 »
Thank you for the reminder mkawa.

SmallFry's passing was (and still is) a very sobering experience.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 09:37:36 »
I had the chance to send a few PM's back and forth with SmallFry about phantom programming etc when I was just getting started, I'm sad I didn't get to learn more from him he was super helpful and clearly a great guy.

My prayers to his family as they reflect and remember.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:02:29 »
Nathan's passing was just around the time I first created an account on geekhack.  Going back and reading some of his posts, I can clearly see why everyone thought so highly of him, he was not only a very intelligent guy, but always willing to help and share his vast knowledge with others.  I'm devastated that I never got the opportunity to talk with him, as I'm sure I could have gotten to know him and learn a lot from him as many others have.  I'll be keeping the community here, and his family in my thoughts as we reflect back on his life.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 10:05:51 »
If you got all the parts I will build up that phantom for you.  I feel like Smallfry would offer this if he saw that in a post.  In all seriousness I will build that Phantom up for you for free (just pay shipping at least one way) Provided you have the parts.

Thanks for the offer Melvang, but I'll get it built eventually. I didn't mean to imply that I couldn't get the board built now that he's gone, just that it's been difficult to move on is all.  :(

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:24:57 »
I wish I could have known him. I've lurked this site for a long time, and had the privilage of reading his posts here and there on all manner of things. Advice, knowledge, humor, and always with enthusiasm and passion. Those kind of people are the sort you want to surround yourself with.. and I believe that because of his influence, there are pieces of him in a lot of the members here. They're great people, and they were gifted with the friendship of a great man. With his memory forever imbued within GeekHack; the site, its members, the way it has developed and the information that he equipped many other users with.; his legacy is one that can't fade.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:59:51 »
As active as SmallFry was here on GH, those of us who had the opportunity to chat with him on IRC really got to know who Nate was as a person. He was very active in the #geekhack channel, and he and I often would have private conversations on IRC that really gave me the opportunity to get to know him on a more personal level.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:08:45 »
I never got to know him personally since I was a lurker at the time, but I never saw a bad word about anyone typed by him and he was a ridiculous modder for his age. I can't believe it's been a year already, and my heart goes out to his family. Hoping they can keep up the strength they've had so far.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:22:30 »
Thank you for the touching video, mkawa.

Rest in Peace, bredrin SmallFry, may your spirit, intellect, and positive attitude stay with us until the end of the Internet.

Blessings and love.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline LargeFry

• SmallFry's Father
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 00:13:38 »
Hello Everyone.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts about our son, Nathan (aka SmallFry).  We continue to stop by and read the posts on this board from time to time and it reminds us of the impact our son has had on this world in his short time with us.  As you can probably guess, this last year as been a different and difficult journey for us.  We are constantly reminded of Nate in everything we see and do and sometimes that brings a laugh and a smile to our face and other times tears.  We continue to miss him terribly but are constantly working on adjusting to life without him.  Nathan had a big impact on the people around him, and we are reaping the benefits of that with the support we receive from everyone that knew him.  The continued support from the people on this board is just one example.

Nathan was in Boy Scouts and was presented his Eagle Scout rank only a few weeks before the accident.  The scout families from his troop came to our side and were there at every step of our journey this past year.  Two of his fellow scouts mowed our lawn (not a small task) all of last summer so we didn't have to worry about replacing the garden tractor or keeping up with the chore while we were in the depths of grief.  This past spring, the Boy Scout Council (which covers about a third of the state of Wisconsin) put on an event honoring all of the Eagle Scouts of 2013 and invited our family to accept a special recognition just for Nathan.  And this fall they will erect a flag pole at one of the camps and dedicate it in his memory so scouts for years to come will remember him as they raise the flags.  Scouts was such a big part of Nathan's life (he told me he couldn't remember a time when he wasn't a scout) that we are creating a foundation that will provide some financial assistance to scouts working on Eagle Scout projects.  This will be seeded with the money that Nathan had saved growing up, memorial money we received at his passing, and a donation from our family.  We are hopeful to get this foundation funded to a point where it can support Eagle Scout candidates for generations to come.

The only thing Nate might have spent more time at than GeekHack was school (notice I said might).  Nathan not only attended Wilmot Union High School in Wilmot, WI, but he also worked there over the summers in the IT department.  The school has really tried to honor Nate's memory in a number of ways.  In the fall of last year they held a 5K that mkawa was talking about in his video to help us raise money for the Ronald McDonald house where we stayed for the 2 weeks that Nathan was in the hospital before he passed away.  (As a side note, please consider donating to the Ronald McDonald House in your community.  I don't know what we would have done without them.)  In the winter, the Wrestling team dedicated one of the wrestling meets to Nathan and installed a plaque on the scoreboard that he rebuilt as his Eagle Scout project.  As graduation approached, the school presented an honorary diploma to us at the senior awards night.  I have attached a video of the presentation given by the director of the IT department (his boss and his friend) below.  And finally, at graduation (this past school year would have been his senior year) every one of the graduation speakers talked about Nathan and they called his name with the roll call of the other students receiving diplomas and it was greeted with a standing ovation. 

Honorary Diploma

This year the High School contacted us and told us they would like to make the 5K an annual event as a part of the homecoming festivities.  The 5K will be held on Wednesday, October 8th at the high school in Wilmot.  The school also asked if we would consider using the proceeds to set up a scholarship fund in Nathan's name to be awarded to a Wilmot student pursuing a career in technology.  We agreed and are working with the school to set up selection criteria and are excited to find another way to give back to our community and keep Nathan's legacy alive.  I recognize that most of you will be unable to attend, but if you can, we would love to see you at the 5K.  If you are interested in getting a shirt and supporting the scholarship fund, I have provided a link to the registration page below.  Please indicate on your registration form that you want the shirt mailed to you and provide a shipping address.  I sent shirts to many of you last year and am happy to provide that service again if you would like.  It is helpful if you register early, as Homecoming week is a hectic time at the school.

http://wilmothighschool.com/2014/06/2nd-annual-nate-walter-5k/

As always, thank you so much for all that this community has done for my son, both before the accident and after.  It is the support and stories we read on this site along with the support we receive from the other communities that Nate was involved with that have given us the strength we have needed this past year.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, words cannot express our gratitude.

Best Regards,

LargeFry

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 07:32:01 »
^^ Always good to hear from you LargeFry! Thank you for sharing that information with us. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about Nate simply because there are just so many things here that still honor his memory.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:05:16 »
Glad to see you around again LargeFry. Happy that you shared that video with us and appreciate you letting us know about the different initiatives that are in the works. I'll be ordering my shirt later :).

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 08:18:59 »
Thanks for sharing this with us LargeFry.  I will be making a donation as well.  I was the one that as talking to you at KeyCon about that selector switch and using it in my keyboard.  That project still isn't done.  Though it tends to happen when I can't remember the last time I had an 8 hour shift.

Best of luck in all endeavors to you, your family, and all things.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:04:41 »
Folks,

I have made t-shirt purchases and donations to both the NJW foundation and the Wilmot High scholarship fund an item on geekhackers.org. Please visit

http://www.geekhackers.org/products/nathan-j-walters-annual-5k-run-t-shirt-and-donation

to donate and receive a shirt.

-Ming

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 19:21:47 »
Edit: oh jeez this is a year old. RIP to bro regardless I know yall loved him.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 01:42:24 by dndliomx »