Author Topic: no search function for general visitors  (Read 3882 times)

Offline ether22

no search function for general visitors
« on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 09:25:14 »
it's 2015 do you really need to force people to create an account and log in in order to use your search function? i get it that you regard yourself as some super elite closed society club but come on, you are on the internet where information should be free. your co-title is 'keyboard enthusiasts', wouldn't you want to share all your knowledge with the general internet visitor and let them use the search function without signing up.

Offline Cottonsox

Re: no search function for general visitors
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 09:27:42 »
Welcome, and enjoy your stay!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 09:36:30 »
Go to Google, then use site:geekhack.org yoursearchhere. Works better than the built in search anyways and then you don't have to be so ****ing salty

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 09:38:48 »
You're not missing anything, site search sucks anyway.

But why not join and be a part of the community.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:09:58 »
Go to Google, then use site:geekhack.org yoursearchhere. Works better than the built in search anyways and then you don't have to be so ****ing salty

This is how I search 95%+ of the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:16:04 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 19:17:14 »

You're not missing anything, site search sucks anyway.

But why not join and be a part of the community.

Pretty much this

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:43:05 »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:50:47 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:28:26 by esoomenona »

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:52:12 »
Go to Google, then use site:geekhack.org yoursearchhere. Works better than the built in search anyways...

This seems to be a common theme on modern forums. Is this a fault of the forums or are we all just spoiled by how "great" google searches are?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:56:41 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:28:01 by esoomenona »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 22:13:25 »
we didn't buy our hardware infrastructure in 2015.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 16:54:39 »
i've done some tuning and think we can handle the capacity now. guests can now search.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:30:37 »
it's 2015 do you really need to force people to create an account and log in in order to use your search function?
I find that is rather the norm on Internet forums in general. I would expect it to be the default setting in the forum software, even.

Public mode is often overlooked on forums because everyone who manages the site is always logged in ...  :rolleyes:

i get it that you regard yourself as some super elite closed society club but come on
Hell no. That's Deskthority. ;)

Just kidding. I find both Geekhack (and Deskthority) to be very welcoming. Deskthority has a club with membership fees and benefits, but that is largely to help fund the site.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 June 2015, 21:52:08 by Findecanor »

Offline Coreda

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:33:53 »
Google site search is easier anyway, even have a custom Firefox keyword for it.

i've done some tuning and think we can handle the capacity now. guests can now search.

Good-o! There you go OP.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 17:35:51 »
it is, but fun fact! google site search is partially informed by our own onboard search.