Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3478278 times)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:26:17 »
I'm new to mechanical keyboards I only have four so far but my question is what are the benefits of putting stickers in MX switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:30:45 »
I'm new to mechanical keyboards I only have four so far but my question is what are the benefits of putting stickers in MX switches.

Apparently the MX switches are slightly wobbly and stickers reduce that wobble. I don't really believe it myself.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:31:32 »
Short answer: it is debatable that they do anything at all.

Long answer: Cherry MX switches have a casing that is two halves clipped together in the middle.  The sticker goes between them and makes it a tighter fit.  This is supposed to keep the switch housing from moving ever so slightly when under pressure.  Perhaps it is also supposed to absorb vibration.  Anyway the koreans like 'em so everyone here pays for 'em (even me, and I firmly believe that they don't make any difference)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:32:56 »

Apparently the MX switches are slightly wobbly and stickers reduce that wobble. I don't really believe it myself.

I'll have to agree about them reducing the wobble being nonsense. They're really just for looks, and even then you're not really going to see them unless you're replacing caps.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:34:56 »
I've got boards with and without and I can't tell any real difference.  My brain tries to say "Oh but maybe the switch feels slightly different/whatever" but yeah, I can't tell any difference.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:35:51 »
No, M0110 have these:
Show Image

Oh, right. My bad... :/

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:36:47 »

I'll have to agree about them reducing the wobble being nonsense. They're really just for looks, and even then you're not really going to see them unless you're replacing caps.

I didn't believe it until I got my Vintage Blacks recently and it was visibly obvious the top / bottom wobble against each-other because the spring is pushing the top up and they don't sit flush. I'd say they help if you can actually see the wobble. I guess there are varying factory qualities though.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:12:19 »
What are the part numbers for Cherry Plate Stabilizers for 1X2 and standar spacebar (?1x6.25 or something)?  And if this is answered where is the best place to order these from?
Erlang your pants off

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:16:22 »
Standard Cherry part numbers found in their datasheet.  No where to order 6.25x from since they "don't exist".  Mouser and OnlineComponents are where you want to look.

That said, I do still have a few sets of plate mount stabs for TKL boards w/ 6.25x space bars.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:19:40 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Grimey

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:20:39 »
Standard Cherry part numbers found in their datasheet.  No where to order 6.25x from since they "don't exist".  Mouser and OnlineComponents are where you want to look.

That said, I do still have a few sets of stabs for TKL boards w/ 6.25x space bars.

So if need to order a set for a poker plate/pcb combo that I got from iMav I should order...

G99-0224 X4
and which of the following for the space bar..
G99-0226
G99-0226
G99-0379
Erlang your pants off

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:23:01 »
Either the 0226 or 0379 and then bend and cut for 6.25.   0226 will give you more room to maneuver since it's longer.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 12:25:18 »
I've recently done some bending and it is totally hard to get it just right.  Thank god the cherry wires are so much simpler than the costar.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:33:37 »
I've recently done some bending and it is totally hard to get it just right.  Thank god the cherry wires are so much simpler than the costar.

That's the wonderful thing about getting your plate mount Cherry stabs from old WYSE boards. They have a 10x spacebar wire, so you just use an existing 6.25x or 7x wire to measure, and bend at 90 degrees with a pair of pliers. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:34:58 »
Hey! You update your signature!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:35:28 »

That's the wonderful thing about getting your plate mount Cherry stabs from old WYSE boards. They have a 10x spacebar wire, so you just use an existing 6.25x or 7x wire to measure, and bend at 90 degrees with a pair of pliers. :D

I found that method insufficient.  I took a hint from SmallFry and locked it in a vice and hammered it over.  Gives a nice 90 bend.  With hand tools it was too round which doesn't fit well into the stabilizer blocks, and will make the space feel weird.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:36:28 »
Also, I used copper wire for my stab recently. Doesn't affect the feel whatsoever. Plus, it was easier to bend.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:44:52 »

I found that method insufficient.  I took a hint from SmallFry and locked it in a vice and hammered it over.  Gives a nice 90 bend.  With hand tools it was too round which doesn't fit well into the stabilizer blocks, and will make the space feel weird.

That actually describes my method more accurately. I hold the wire with the pliers, and bend it by hand to 90 degrees. Gives it a nice sharp angle, since the sides of the pliers are flat. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:45:11 »

I am planning on doing this for my phantom with some of the WYSE stabs I have, but my problem is that I do not have a 7x wire to use as a template, or a 6.25 for that matter. Any suggestions? I guess I could try measuring the distance between the stabs once they are on the plate and try to duplicate that...
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:48:01 »
I'll take some pictures when I get home of what I did. Er, wait. I glued my stabs in. I took one end, put it in like normal. Then I put the other one in but not into the bent part. Mark the middle of the stab and then bend at that point... If that made any sense whatsoever.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:50:24 »
I'll take some pictures when I get home of what I did. Er, wait. I glued my stabs in. I took one end, put it in like normal. Then I put the other one in but not into the bent part. Mark the middle of the stab and then bend at that point... If that made any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant when I said "measure". I was thinking to use the wire as a ruler and just mark it where the bend needs to be. If that has worked for you then I will go with that method probably. Unless I can get my hands on a 7x wire, but I only need one so then there'd be no point in bending another.... I will just go with what I have on hand I think

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:52:01 »
I am planning on doing this for my phantom with some of the WYSE stabs I have, but my problem is that I do not have a 7x wire to use as a template, or a 6.25 for that matter. Any suggestions? I guess I could try measuring the distance between the stabs once they are on the plate and try to duplicate that...

I'm sending you those blue switches on Monday. Send me a spacebar wire, and I'll send you a 7x bent one. :) If you want a 6.25, I can do that, too.

in memoriam

Offline Grimey

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:56:28 »
Either the 0226 or 0379 and then bend and cut for 6.25.   0226 will give you more room to maneuver since it's longer.

So the alternative would be to buy Costar style stabs + wires and file (cut, whatever) the plate to fit those then?  I assume this is also possible?
Erlang your pants off

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 13:59:35 »
yes for 6.25.  If you want Costar 7x then you need to bend that.  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:01:16 »

I'm sending you those blue switches on Monday. Send me a spacebar wire, and I'll send you a 7x bent one. :) If you want a 6.25, I can do that, too.

Ok, that works for me. I just need the 7x I think. Don't have any plans to put cherry stabs in anything that uses 6.25... yet anyway. I will go ahead and get your stuff ready and ship it out from this end too. Thanks

Offline Grimey

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:01:52 »
yes for 6.25.  If you want Costar 7x then you need to bend that.  :)

Thanks, I think I will try this path with one of my poker plates I got.  The stabilizer spacing seems fine for width, but the holes are not tall enough for the wire holder to fit in properly.  I think a bit of filing or grinding could solve that issue (especially as I already have plenty of the costar style elements sitting around).
Erlang your pants off

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:06:38 »
(not sure how "simple" this question/answer is)

What's required to swap Costar plate mount stabilizers to Cherry plate mount? (figure there'll be soldering work)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:13:10 »
(not sure how "simple" this question/answer is)

What's required to swap Costar plate mount stabilizers to Cherry plate mount? (figure there'll be soldering work)

Desolder all the switches from the plate and the find a new plate that supports cherry stabilizers
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:33:46 »
I want to buy a stepped caps lock, so Is a Poker's Caps lock center or off-center stem? I don't have my Poker or a Caps lock in front of me :(

Center stem

Figured it had to be. Thank You :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:36:01 by Jocelyn »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:34:36 »
Center stem

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:40:38 »
Does anyone do printing on blank keycaps? Say, if you bought some of the blank caps from SP's inventory page, is there a way to get some sort of legends printed on them?

SP inventory site I am referencing: http://keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

Thanks

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 19:15:30 »
I found a Focus FK2001 for 50 cents at Goodwill so I bought it, but it has what I think is an AT style connector. The adapter that was hooked up to it is missing some pins on the PS/2 end and doesn't work. Would one of these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2N017-Keyboard-Adapter-MiniDin6/dp/B00000J1UB

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 19:35:01 »
Does anyone do printing on blank keycaps? Say, if you bought some of the blank caps from SP's inventory page, is there a way to get some sort of legends printed on them?

SP inventory site I am referencing: http://keycapsdirect.com/key-capsinventory.php

Thanks

Easiest route is WASDkeyboards.com.  They will etch anything you want onto keycaps for you.  You don't even have to provide the blanks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 19:46:39 »
I found a Focus FK2001 for 50 cents at Goodwill so I bought it, but it has what I think is an AT style connector. The adapter that was hooked up to it is missing some pins on the PS/2 end and doesn't work. Would one of these work?

After being educated by my keyboard professor SmallFry, I have learned that yes, that converter will work. He also recommends this adapter. I like how you'll be spending 4x the amount of money on the adapter :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 19:55:16 »
The longer wire one takes the stress off your PS/2 port.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 20:33:22 »
Great, thanks guys.

Offline CaptainAsshat

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:05:34 »
Why do the cherry mx plate mount cutouts I see on plans around the forum have extra slots on the sides of the main square, even though the cherry mx datasheets just have the square?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:06:39 »
So you can open the switches to exchange stem and spring without having to unsolder the switches.

Offline CaptainAsshat

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 17:08:03 »
Cool thanks!

Offline Harryboii

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 07:09:30 »
what does double shot mean? I am new to the world of mechanical keyboards and geekhack and would love to get to know everything. Thank you.

Offline llovro

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 07:19:35 »
what does double shot mean? I am new to the world of mechanical keyboards and geekhack and would love to get to know everything. Thank you.
It means that the keycap is molded around a plastic or metal insert, which makes the keycap very durable but more expensive too.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 11:23:17 »
To expand on that, the purpose of doubleshot is that the legend of the key (what is printed on it) is plastic that runs all through the key. Effectively it will never wear off until a hole is created through the entire keycap. It has a superior durability to the typical pad printed or lasered legends.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 01:06:03 »

After being educated by my keyboard professor SmallFry, I have learned that yes, that converter will work. He also recommends this adapter. I like how you'll be spending 4x the amount of money on the adapter :D

Oo oo can you be my professor then? You my go to guy anyway!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 01:09:43 »

By that process, you ask him, he asks me, I tell him, he tells you. :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 21:52:41 »

By that process, you ask him, he asks me, I tell him, he tells you. :P

There can only be one pupil to the grandmaster :P

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 23:38:12 »
How do POM keycaps differ from the more familiar ABS and PBT keycaps?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 01:19:41 »
I've mainly only seen POM in clear caps, whereas ABS or PBT are solid colors. I think ABS can also be translucent although not that common, and PTB must be a solid color.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 06:31:13 »
I've definitely seen solid black POM.  I've heard that POM has even better texture robustness than PBT or ABS, but I don't know first hand.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 06:51:58 »
has anyone had issues with desoldering leds on a poker?  i'm having one hell of a time with it.  flux, wick, pump nothing is working right.  :confused:
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 06:54:44 »
I've never had a full set of POM but I do have a few single caps. They feel like slicker ABS caps imo. And they seem to already have a bit of shine because of the material properties.

My PBT caps seem to keep their texture better than my ABS caps though.

has anyone had issues with desoldering leds on a poker?  i'm having one hell of a time with it.  flux, wick, pump nothing is working right.  :confused:

Try tinning your tip first. Put some solder onto the tip. Make it almost silver and then touch it to the joint. I also prefer wicks.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 07:00:26 »
Wicks are not very good for getting all the solder out of through holes.  I'd rather hard to get it all.  I use a desoldering iron.