Author Topic: so i've got the flu  (Read 2487 times)

Offline wellington1869

so i've got the flu
« on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 02:04:45 »
and it sucks.

must be flu season again. I read somewhere that flu cases spike to 3x or 4x around february each year.  Guess mine came early.

Mine usually comes in the fall pretty regularly, around september. (I'm always sick on the first day of school). Or maybe thats just what school does to me.

anyway, it blows.  Cant sleep and cant be productive either. just watching netflix movies and feeling sorry for myself ;)

Saw north by northwest on pbs the other night. I've seen it before of course but for some reason, for the first time, I actually enjoyed it. Does that mean i'm getting old?  Eva saint marie is a *fox*, let me tell you. Never noticed before! She is super-sexy on the train. Not bad for someone from the 50s.

Damn, I must be getting old.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
so i've got the flu
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 03:12:06 »
I have a pretty good immune system — I usually only get a cold or two a year. I can't attribute it to health either. I think it was all the poison I put in my body during my 20s. It made me either completely hard core or not worth enough for even the flu to want.

Offline bigpook

so i've got the flu
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 04:13:59 »
Its not very often I get the flu but my last time was about a year ago. I had to take a week off from work it was so bad.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

so i've got the flu
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 06:36:42 »
I get my flu shot every year as soon as it is available.  I have only had one minor cold in the last 5 years or so.  For those that have not gotten the flu, I would highly reccomend getting the shot of you haven't done so already.

Offline itlnstln

so i've got the flu
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 06:38:47 »
Eva saint marie is a *fox*, let me tell you. Never noticed before! She is super-sexy on the train. Not bad for someone from the 50s.

Don't let the flu affect your judgment, now. :)  Let the NyQuil, and lots of it, do that.

Offline andb

so i've got the flu
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 08:47:48 »
Quote from: wellington1869;17962
Saw north by northwest on pbs the other night. I've seen it before of course but for some reason, for the first time, I actually enjoyed it. Does that mean i'm getting old?  Eva saint marie is a *fox*, let me tell you. Never noticed before! She is super-sexy on the train. Not bad for someone from the 50s.
Hitch**** [Edit] HitchC0ck <- beat the profanity check!! [/Edit] is best when you have lots of time and aren't in a rush. Its not like the Grab-your-attention-the-whole-time-trash that you see today. Thats probably why you liked it, you were able to get really absorbed. Try his Back Window, awesome film but the first half you wonder, "When is something going to happen?"

While you're bed-ridden, use the opportunity to catch up on two other mega slow films, this time by Kubrick, 2001 and Barry Lyndon. Maybe read the cliff notes first about Arthur C Clark's 2001 book to get an idea about what it all is supposed to actually mean, and read a bit about the NASA lenses used to shoot the candle scenes in Barry Lyndon so you can appreciate the lengths they went to to make everything feel like a period painting.

This will like likely be my most off topic post ever, but had to do it to help you out in your sickness ;)  Also, for finding films to watch next, I love http://filmaffinity.com. Take the time to make a profile and it matches you with other users with similar tastes, you can see what  they rate highly that you haven't seen. It really works.

Offline itlnstln

so i've got the flu
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 09:01:46 »
I love Alfred Hitchc0ck.  AH Presents was nice for some quick AH hits.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
so i've got the flu
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 10:56:05 »
You know, I had a friend who gets the flu every year...

So she tried the flu shot a few times.

Every time, her body responded to the flu shot as if it were actually the flu. Meaning, she might as well just catch the actual flu.

Offline wellington1869

so i've got the flu
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 13:43:47 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17979
I get my flu shot every year as soon as it is available.  I have only had one minor cold in the last 5 years or so.  For those that have not gotten the flu, I would highly reccomend getting the shot of you haven't done so already.

interesting, so you think they really work? I guess I was brought up by flu shot sceptics, lol. Maybe I should try that. I get a bad cold or flu at least twice a year.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

so i've got the flu
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 13:44:20 »
Quote from: itlnstln;17980
Don't let the flu affect your judgment, now. :)  Let the NyQuil, and lots of it, do that.

lol, must have been the sudafed talking...

this is what I saw onscreen: (tell me she's not foxy)

but when I came to, I saw this!:

Thats when I knew my flu was on its way out  :D

Offline wellington1869

so i've got the flu
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 January 2009, 13:56:51 »
Quote from: andb;17989
Hitch**** [Edit] HitchC0ck <- beat the profanity check!! [/Edit] is best when you have lots of time and aren't in a rush. Its not like the Grab-your-attention-the-whole-time-trash that you see today. Thats probably why you liked it, you were able to get really absorbed. Try his Back Window, awesome film but the first half you wonder, "When is something going to happen?"

While you're bed-ridden, use the opportunity to catch up on two other mega slow films, this time by Kubrick, 2001 and Barry Lyndon. Maybe read the cliff notes first about Arthur C Clark's 2001 book to get an idea about what it all is supposed to actually mean, and read a bit about the NASA lenses used to shoot the candle scenes in Barry Lyndon so you can appreciate the lengths they went to to make everything feel like a period painting.

This will like likely be my most off topic post ever, but had to do it to help you out in your sickness ;)  Also, for finding films to watch next, I love http://filmaffinity.com. Take the time to make a profile and it matches you with other users with similar tastes, you can see what  they rate highly that you haven't seen. It really works.

hey thanks for the tips. I've seen all of those except for barry lyndon (which thankfully is avail for instant watch on netflix).
You're right about the pace, esp for the old movies. I think when I was younger I didnt fully appreciate that (being impatient myself). But like with N-NW, its more appealing to me now ;)