Author Topic: [IC] Squishee65 - an o-ring isolation mount 65% keyboard  (Read 12566 times)

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
[IC] Squishee65 - an o-ring isolation mount 65% keyboard
« on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 17:57:56 »

Squishee65

An o-ring isolation mount gasket 65% keyboard.

Join our discord server for faster updates: https://discord.gg/hXcpWvg5zB

The Squishy65 was a stacked acrylic group buy done locally in the Philippines that featured an isolation mount plate in a stacked acrylic case. The aim of the acrylic Squishy65 was to provide high end features at an affordable price point for both new-comers and enthusiasts in the hobby. The Squishee65 aims to offer the Squishy65 keyboard with a more premium feel, featuring a machined polycarbonate case, a beefy brass weight, and a centered USB slot.

Stacked acrylic Squishy65Squishee65
3mm stacked acrylic layersHigh quality polycarbonate
No brass weightSandblasted brass weight
5 mounting points6 mounting points
Left side USB on main boardCentered USB via daughterboard
Bare aluminum platesCNC aluminum plates with clear anodization

The mounting style consists of six tabs on the plate where you insert the o-rings onto. The plate then gets squished between the top and bottom portions of the case which gives its gasket mounting. The squishing of the o-rings is where the name comes from!

So far I’ve done three group buys locally: the Wete, Herringbone, and the Squishy65 which is currently under fulfillment. I also worked on the GHS.RAR and the Monarch PCB.

Two rounds of prototyping have already been done for the Squishee65, the first round being the frosted and black versions, and the second being the purple version. The second revision of the Squishee65 has the addition of the sixth mounting point below the spacebar which adds stability to the plate.

O-rings colored red for clairty. Clear/white o-rings will be provided.

Typing tests
Acrylic

V1 prototype

V2 prototype

Specifications
Case materialPolycarbonate
Colors availableFrosted, smokey, purple
Plate materialAluminum, FR4
Weight materialSandblasted brass
Dimensions327 mm × 117 mm × 31 mm
Typing angle
Tentative priceUSD 400

You can choose between a no-blocker top or a WKL/arrow key blocker top. Full plate and half plate options are also available to utilize the PCB flex cuts.

The group buy will run for 1 week, possibly around the second week of March, depending on feedback and interest.

Kit Contents
QtyItem
1Case top
1Case bottom
1Plate
62.5mm o-rings
1Brass weight
1Main PCB
1Daughterboard
8M3 case screws
4M2 daughterboard screws
2M4 weight screws

Layouts

More photos
More

IC form link
If interested, please fill up this form link:
https://forms.gle/LZVj6vUfQTEgX8aa8
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:27:12 by SamBuddy »

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
Re: [IC] Squishee65 - an o-ring isolation mount 65% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 18:02:24 »
Not bad, I like the minimalistic weight. Will keep an eye on this

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 19:29:42 »
What PCB is used? Is it VIA compatible? I personally wouldn't call a $400 price point affordable OR for new comers, but it is a fair price for enthusiasts? Either way, the proto sounds/looks good. Please consider adding a mounting diagram like many folks do. Alternatively, a build video/stream would give people a good impression of what the keyboard is like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2021, 19:46:00 by Bub »

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 21:46:55 »
What PCB is used? Is it VIA compatible?
The PCB is the Squishy65 PCB except changed to remove the left side USB connector, adds the WKL support, and the JST connector for the daughterboard.

I personally wouldn't call a $400 price point affordable OR for new comers, but it is a fair price for enthusiasts?
Sorry for the name confusion but Squishy refers to the stacked acrylic while Squishee refers the the polycarbonate one. The aim of the Squishy was to give the affordable price - just around $100 for the base kit! The Squishee is this more premium version.

Please consider adding a mounting diagram like many folks do.
Added to the main post, thanks!

Alternatively, a build video/stream would give people a good impression of what the keyboard is like.
A build stream was done via twitch by Erbakeys less than a week ago, but the VOD is not available. Here's a random short clip where you can see the PCB and o-rings though.

Either way, the proto sounds/looks good.
Thanks!

Offline vi0till

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 03:38:11 »
I really like this board. Any chance to offer underglow pcb, the case is PC afterall, would look good with some RGB.

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 04:40:49 »
Yes, the board supports underglow RGB.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 05:06:39 »
Very interesting project. The Bauer bottom row is welcomed :)
Can I ask, what is the height of the keyboard? From table to the bottom lip.
Also, does the underglow PCB look ok with the Smoky case?

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 05:16:49 »
Front height is 21mm. I currently don't have the smokey case with me so I can't take photos with the RGB underglow on it, sorry.

Offline tr0yr0x

• TWICE Fanboi
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 11:26:23 »
Very nice board! GLWIC mister Sam!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 11:27:50 »
The sides look pretty much just like the ones off of the Leaf 60. This is not to take away from your design nor am I complaining about it, I own one and the side profile is super nice, but I figured I'd mention it (especially considering Senter has also just launched the IC for the Leaf 65 a couple days ago).

Looks great overall! Good luck.

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:18:13 »
The sides look pretty much just like the ones off of the Leaf 60. This is not to take away from your design nor am I complaining about it, I own one and the side profile is super nice, but I figured I'd mention it (especially considering Senter has also just launched the IC for the Leaf 65 a couple days ago).

Looks great overall! Good luck.

Don't think so. Both the curves on the leaf 60 and 65 aren't symmetrical and are leaned into the back of the case more.
That being said, this kind curved side design isn't new and its been fairly used at this point. This looks the most average from what i've seen though.(Koala, Dolphin, and the leaf boards to name a few)

Looks good though and pricing, if hit right, sounds really good. I'm also really into that purple poly ever since HBCP.

I've personally typed on the acrylic version and it was impressive for its price. The v2 adjustment of the gaskets were great too, as that was a big feedback from v1.

Looking forward to this project being successful! :)
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline Woahder

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 23:15:05 »
Looks good, answered the form! Interested in the build stream if the VOD would be available or if there's another in the future

Offline Xifi.1923

• Learning the ways of the keeb.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 09:04:24 »
Wishing this project all the best.

Offline Rx003

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 07:29:28 »
A smokey gray would be really nice! You know it, you got my full support glic Sam Buddy!
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 March 2021, 07:45:55 by Rx003 »

Offline Iliekbrowns

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 09:38:07 »
I really like the look of the purple pc :D

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 20:40:39 »
VOD is gone in Twitch land, but there was an archive of the build stream on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/104951324690115/videos/853472685229660

Offline JayyReq

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 01:53:37 »
Nice little keyboard! Will be following this project! Good to see more Pinoys in mech!

Offline Xyzzyka

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:37:06 »
Those curves, that wide bezel, that purple poly... got my eye on this one for sure!
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:48:46 by Xyzzyka »

Offline SamBuddy

• I like making things.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 01:19:15 »
While this is a project that we want to take on, there has been quite a bit of feedback regarding the pricing of this keyboard. While we want to keep it as affordable as we can, it is very much looking likely that a sub-$350 board cannot be done.  We would need to price this anywhere from $380 - $400 for this project to be feasible.

So, why can't we do sub-$350? The manufacturer's quotation for a 50 board MOQ hovers already around $300 per board.   CNC colored polycarbonate is more expensive than CNCing aluminum. This figure does not take into account shipping and handling from their factory to us for QC. It also does not take into account misc. parts such as screws, o-rings, PCB, daughter board, and keyboard case.

For us to do this group buy, we will need to charge customers the above mentioned price. We can drive the cost lower if there is enough interest and order more boards, but at this stage - we would like to keep the group buy small to make sure QC is on point and that we can manage expectations. As such, unless people are willing to pay $400 for a beautifully machined piece of plastic.

If people want to do a small batch run of 10, or 20 - we can also look into this, but again the price will be higher.