Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Leaf 65% | Closed  (Read 126652 times)

Offline senter

• * Maker
[GB] Fox Lab - Leaf 65% | Closed
« on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 19:40:19 »

About Leaf 65%

Leaf 65% is the third member of the Leaf series after Leaf 80 (2018) and Leaf 60 (2018).

New features:
  • Top, middle, and bottom cases in different colors
  • No visible screws
  • PORON sandwich mount
  • PORON mute plate (optional for using between the PCB and the plate)
  • Skeleton plate
  • New custom rubber feet

Group Buy Information

1. How to order

Visit https://foxlab.store/products/leaf-65
The link will be available starting from 04-09-2021 at 9 PM ET.

2. What does a kit include?

• Top case, middle frame, bottom case
  • Switch mounting plate
  • Main PCB and daughter PCB
  • Bottom weight
  • PORON stripes
  • PORON mute plate (optional to use)
  • Screws and rubber feet

3. Explanation of the options

• Colors: Case colors include Black Anodizing, Silver Anodizing, Dark Green Anodizing, Light Green Anodizing, Space Cadet Anodizing, Red Anodizing, E-White, E-Beige, Pink Powder Coating, and Matte Clear PC. The weight, plate, and the front Leaf logo can be upgraded to PVD brass in silver color. Most of the colors can be found in the first picture on this page.
  • The front leaf logo is only available if you order the "with Front Logo" front case layout.
  • The plate, weight, and front leaf logo (for "with Front Logo" versions) can only be in the same color/material in the base kit.
  • The aluminum plates are all the skeleton version. The FR4 plates and PVD brass plates are all the regular version.
  • There are two versions of PCBs. The hot-swappable version has a fixed layout (7u spacebar) and has pre-soldered switch LEDs. The solder version supports various layouts for MX and ALPS switches. Both versions will have VIA support.
  • The default plate supports ANSI MX layout only. ISO is not supported on the default plate as many people (especially me) hate compatible Enter hole. The PCB does support ISO and I will share the plate files later.
  • Typing angle: 6 degrees. Case front height: 21mm
  • PCB layouts: see below

Hot swappable version PCB layout:

Solderable version PCB layout:

4. What's the price?

The base price is $415 including transaction fees but excluding shipping.
Sorry, It is more expensive than Leaf 60 and Leaf 80 because the the USD to CNY exchange rate keeps dropping in the past year and the the material cost keeps increasing in the past year. $415 this year is $366 excluding the transaction fees in the last year if we exchange USD to CNY, and we do need to pay the factory in CNY.

• Upgrading to PVD brass plate and weight: $99
  • Extra PCB: $45
  • Extra aluminum/FR4 plate: $25

5. Timeline and limits

The GB starts from 04-09-2021 at 9 PM ET.
It will open for 7 days unless the number of orders is getting too big. (edit: I'll be closing the GB early as the soft top limit has been reached -- Mon Apr 12 9:38 PM ET)
A soft top limit is 500 kits in total.
The expected lead time is expected to be 5 months.
This time we started a Chinese GB first. The manufacturing has been started for a while. For the international GB, we only need to add the new orders to the queue, so this GB should be smoother than before.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2021, 08:20:12 by senter »

Offline senter

• * Maker
Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Leaf 65%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:58:28 »
GB starts now!

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:02:28 »
I'm going to order the PC version, wondering what will be the color for FR4 regular plate?  brass plate should be golden, right?

Offline vtachkov

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:02:47 »
Love it Senter! Finally glad to see the 65% leaf.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:05:28 »
Is it really not possible to get more than 1 extra plate?

I am curious about trying the skeleton one, but would also like an FR4 one.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:06:27 »
I'm going to order the PC version, wondering what will be the color for FR4 regular plate?  brass plate should be golden, right?

The PVD coating will be in silver.

Offline Stompy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:08:01 »
So to confirm (sorry), no iso plate for sale. Will have to sort myself from plate files?

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:08:28 »
Love it Senter! Finally glad to see the 65% leaf.

Thank you for your support!

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:08:36 »
What's the default plate? How do we order more than one extra plate?

Offline DeadlyD

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:08:46 »
The plate, weight, and front leaf logo (for "with Front Logo" versions) can only be in the same color/material in the base kit. This sentence is quite confusing, would you please clarify? Your photos show the leaf logo(weight) has different color than the base.

Offline HaX

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:09:51 »
Is the upgrade to brass an additional kit or is this something that has to be selected when ordering brass for the leaf65?

Also, any pictures to see the WKL?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:13:50 by HaX »

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:10:09 »
Is it really not possible to get more than 1 extra plate?

I am curious about trying the skeleton one, but would also like an FR4 one.

You can order the skeleton one as the first one then one extra in FR4

Offline greenteatimes

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:10:53 »
Is the PCB a custom PCB or is it a standard one?

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:11:28 »

Oh also is PC top alu bottom combo possible? Other GB's have stated that was an issue.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:11:45 »

One order can only include at most one extra plate for simplicity. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline prognostics

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:12:20 »
Really excited for this one. Going to think hard before placing my order. Currently thinking about top and bottom poly and mid brass.  ;D

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:12:40 »
So to confirm (sorry), no iso plate for sale. Will have to sort myself from plate files?

No ISO plate for sale, sorry.

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:14:12 »

One order can only include at most one extra plate for simplicity. Sorry for the inconvenience.

What's the default though? There's no option to select a plate besides the "addon" plate.

Offline Auracity

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:15:38 »

What's the default though? There's no option to select a plate besides the "addon" plate.

Alu plate in the colour of the logo

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:17:44 »
Is the upgrade to brass an additional kit or is this something that has to be selected when ordering brass for the leaf65?

Also, any pictures to see the WKL?

It's an upgrade so you only get the brass ones.

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:19:25 »

Alu plate in the colour of the logo

Ah I wasn't understanding that option. So it's physically impossible to get the skeleton plate if you want FR4 and PVD accents. 😞

Offline greenteatimes

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:26:12 »
Just got one! First board GB that I'm a part of. Really excited for this!

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:29:37 »
Sorry,   for hot-swap pcb, are there any standoffs installed on the plates like Alu and Brass, or even FR4?   Also, What is color for the PVD brass middle frame?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:33:31 by c0d3r »

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:40:50 »
Sorry,   for hot-swap pcb, are there any standoffs installed on the plates like Alu and Brass, or even FR4?   Also, What is color for the PVD brass middle frame?

If I'm understanding correctly, all the PVD for this GB is silver.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 19:49:10 »

There are no standoffs. If you commented it early in the IC, I may have added it. It is a little too late now.
Silver

Offline DeadlyD

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:02:50 »
The plate, weight, and front leaf logo (for "with Front Logo" versions) can only be in the same color/material in the base kit. This sentence is quite confusing, would you please clarify? Your photos show the leaf logo(weight) has different color than the base.
some clarification?

Offline coconath

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:04:58 »
Just got this beautiful keyboard, but I just read the GH thread that the default plate is the skeleton one, i bought skeleton extra plate, cuz there is no such an information what the default plate would be on the website. Can you change it mine to FR4 plate please?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:17:48 by coconath »

Offline eL Duderino

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:06:00 »
so just to confirm this colorway isn’t available.. https://i.imgur.com/bWRzG7t.png

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:06:29 »
There are no standoffs. If you commented it early in the IC, I may have added it. It is a little too late now.

oh, Thats unfortunately,   a small design flaw.  now I'm worry about how secure between the HS pcb and plate will be, would be any friction issue?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:10:40 by c0d3r »

Offline srhdt

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:08:34 »
some clarification?

Two different meanings of the word "base". I think he means "base kit" like the standard keyboard order. Basically, the leaf logo, weight, and aluminum plate all have to be the same color. However, you can choose a different color for the top, middle, and bottom of the keyboard.

Offline greenteatimes

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:09:45 »
some clarification?

You can select a different colour for top/bottom/middle/plate+logo+weight! So you have to have the same colour of the plate, logo, and weight unless you buy an extra plate in a different colour from what I understand.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:13:44 »
Just got this beautiful keyboard, but I just read the GH thread that the default plate is the skeleton one, i bought skeleton extra plate, cuz there is no such an information what the default plate would be. Can you change it to FR4 plate please?

The default plate is the skeleton one?
That would be very confusing and I would be in the same situation with 2 skeleton plates.

I thought default plate was a standard aluminium plate.

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:16:48 »
Just got this beautiful keyboard, but I just read the GH thread that the default plate is the skeleton one, i bought skeleton extra plate, cuz there is no such an information what the default plate would be. Can you change it to FR4 plate please?

That would be very confusing and I would be in the same situation with 2 skeleton plates.

All the aluminum plates are skeleton plates, and whatever you chose for your logo/weight design is the color is the plate.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:18:44 »

All the aluminum plates are skeleton plates, and whatever you chose for your logo/weight design is the color is the plate.

Well guess I will end up with 2 similar plates...

Taeha was sent a regular Aluminium plate, so I would have thought that was the default plate.
It just feels a bit strange to send him a plate that will not exist.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:22:57 by CookieFlow »

Offline srhdt

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:23:43 »

Taeha was sent a regular Aluminium plate, so I would have thought that was the default plate.

I agree that although the product page does say that all aluminum plates are skeleton, it doesn't say what type of plate the default is, which can be a little confusing. I only knew it would be skeleton as default because I read the IC thread, and senter said they would make the default a skeleton.

It might be a good idea for senter to edit the product page to make it obvious what kind of plate the default is since people seem to be getting confused about it.

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:24:59 »

So to my understanding, the skeleton plate was only added during the international GB. It didn't exist in the Chinese GB, and Taeha was sent a proto of options from that GB. 

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:27:36 »

So to my understanding, the skeleton plate was only added during the international GB. It didn't exist in the Chinese GB, and Taeha was sent a proto of options from that GB.

Senter I hope you will allow us to change to a FR4 plate for us that ended up with 2 similar plate.
I think it was an honest mistake to think the base plate was a standard alumnium plate when we looked at Taeha stream of the Leaf 65% and that the skeleton was an different one.

And while I understand it says "The aluminum plates are all the skeleton version".
It also doesn't say what the default plate material is.

Hopefully you will allow us to change. Thanks  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:33:33 by CookieFlow »

Offline coconath

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:30:36 »

Senter I hope you will allow us to change to a FR4 plate for us that ended up with 2 similar plate.
I think it was an honest mistake to think the base plate was a standard alumnium plate when we looked at Taeha stream of the Leaf 65% and that the skeleton was an different one.

Yes just this time senter, pls. Cuz on the website it just says "Switch mounting plate". And I end up got same material n color.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:34:41 by coconath »

Offline idolindisguise

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:43:23 »
is this the dark green?

Offline Jacki

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:45:09 »
Hello just a quick question.
so i ordered a Full PC case, with pink powder weight, front logo And plate as stated.
and ordered an Additional skeleton plate & PCB.
But it shows up as Additional regular plate.
and skeleton plate shows up as a PCB.
is that a mistake on my end or an error?

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline koeploek

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:58:06 »
Sorry for the stupid question. I'm kinda color-name-blind. Is my understanding correct?
266270-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:09:16 by koeploek »

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:03:48 »
Sorry for the stupid question. I'm kinda color-name-blind. Is my understanding is correct?
(Attachment Link)

the leaf that you've labeled black, looks space cadet to me.
label e-white looks beige
label silver looks e-white
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline Gnarled

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:11:32 »
Sorry for the stupid question. I'm kinda color-name-blind. Is my understanding correct?
(Attachment Link)

You flipped silver and e-white. Otherwise, all good.

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:16:44 »
Awesome! Just ordered a kit. A quick question, how do I review the options for my purchase after the payment has been done?

Offline srhdt

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:28:31 »
Awesome! Just ordered a kit. A quick question, how do I review the options for my purchase after the payment has been done?

When you get the confirmation email from Fox Lab you can click on View Your Order and it shows all your options on the top-right.

Offline HaX

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 21:30:23 »
Does additional pcb also come with extra daughter board?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2021, 22:01:17 by HaX »

Offline thanatic

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 22:19:47 »
Only the Hotswap PCB has in per switch LED or Solderable PCB also has it as well?

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 22:30:36 »

Hi Senter,

Would it be possible to buy an extra log in different color?  I would love to do a 2-tone board like the lilac sample you had in the original post but the only way we can do that now is if we could buy another logo.

Online bagelbyte

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 22:53:49 »
Only the Hotswap PCB has in per switch LED or Solderable PCB also has it as well?

I'd like to know this as well. Do you have any pictures of the hot swap board?

Offline NixieTea

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 23:25:55 »
I really wish there was a prototype of the logo polycarbonate version. I have no idea how the logo will look given you'll be able to see the whole square through the top case.