geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Can you earn commission for designing keycaps?

(1/3) > >>

urban24:
Hey!

I have some really good ideas for keycap sets, and I was wondering how does all of this works. After you design keycaps set and render it, where do you go on from here? Do you just post here to check the interest, and will online shops just reach back to you, or do you have to reach to them? Also, as in the title, can you earn any commission for designing the set (at least as much, so I don't have to pay for the keycaps set - I hope!)

Thanks to all who answered!

MIGHTY CHICKEN:
There will be an upfront investment in designing caps, after you have posted IC, you will have to reach out to vendors although some may reach out to you in the rare case. Your vendors will usually be the ones reaching out to manus for quotes and etc. In the end, there will be a profit split between you and the vendors, and most times you will be able to buy a set with the profits. If not, most vendors are usually nice enough to send you one.

Sup:

--- Quote from: MIGHTY CHICKEN on Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:20:54 ---There will be an upfront investment in designing caps, after you have posted IC, you will have to reach out to vendors although some may reach out to you in the rare case. Your vendors will usually be the ones reaching out to manus for quotes and etc. In the end, there will be a profit split between you and the vendors, and most times you will be able to buy a set with the profits. If not, most vendors are usually nice enough to send you one.

--- End quote ---

Damn really that explains why there are 200000 IC a week. If you only have to put some colors together and let the other party do everything for you and you get profit for each set that is easy as fu. People looking to make easy bucks seeing how many ugly GMK sets i have seen

MIGHTY CHICKEN:

--- Quote from: Sup on Mon, 17 May 2021, 19:27:34 ---Damn really that explains why there are 200000 IC a week. If you only have to put some colors together and let the other party do everything for you and you get profit for each set that is easy as fu. People looking to make easy bucks seeing how many ugly GMK sets i have seen

--- End quote ---
Pretty much, although I think its more of "I think I can put colors together and make name for myself", making good money from GMK and other sets is like.. not good. The availability of easy to put together templates(even though default template files have errors purposely put in for this reason and ****ty lighting etc.)

The upfront cost is also like pretty low, anyone can get a template or buy KRK for 30 bucks, color matching stuff for like 160(although many people just skip this pepew) and that's pretty much it. Although some people can commission novs and renders which all go like 15~30 each, pretty cheap. You can find people who basically commissioned everything and only chose 3 colors.

Ranger_Trivette:

--- Quote from: MIGHTY CHICKEN on Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:20:54 ---In the end, there will be a profit split between you and the vendors, and most times you will be able to buy a set with the profits. If not, most vendors are usually nice enough to send you one.

--- End quote ---
MQO for keycap set are usually high. like 200-300 pcs.
assuming that every client will pay at least 150$, the total revenue will be 50'000$+

"most time you will be able to buy a set with the profit"
run a IC, define a design etc etc is a lot of time and work.
honestly i hope you gain more then a free set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version