Author Topic: Looking for next keyboard, possibly a build  (Read 3172 times)

Offline nyaR

Looking for next keyboard, possibly a build
« on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 20:28:09 »
I've been using a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Browns (haters are gonna hate) which I love, but the RGB LED's are starting to die on me, well, only certain colors in certain keys. It has gotten a lot of use in the 4 years I've had it, especially with telecommuting for the past 2 years due to covid, so I guess RGB's burning out is bound to happen.

I decided to consider building my next mechanical keyboard. I basically want to try to re-create this Corsair board since I think it's perfect.

For anyone with experience in building keyboards:
  • Do any board kits allow you to easily swap RGB LED's when they die?
  • Do any have a volume roller/knob with media controls?

If the above are both no's, I am considering the Mount Everest Max. It doesn't have replaceable LED's which is a bummer, but besides that it looks awesome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 September 2021, 20:30:41 by nyaR »

Offline Thockologist

• Formerly PoorlyDrawnKeebs
Re: Looking for next keyboard, possibly a build
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 22:19:17 »
Pretty much any board with a knob will be able to adjust volume in the same way as long as it supports QMK or VIA (if the knob isn't already mapped to volume). QMK/VIA will also let you create layers which you could put the media controls on or re-assign a few of the keys you don't use often to do those things. I'd say it'd be worth giving the GMMK Pro a look since it doesn't mean having to wait for group buys but if you're after something more specific you'll have to just keep an eye on the group buys that are coming out in case there's something that jumps out.

As for the LEDs, that's sort of a difficult one. You can get in-switch LEDs which means you can de-solder the LED that failed and then throw another in there, not all PCBs will support them though. Other than that you could de-solder the surface mount LED on the PCB when it fails and then solder on a new one. The LEDs should last a somewhat decent time though.

Offline nyaR

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 22:25:21 »
Pretty much any board with a knob will be able to adjust volume in the same way as long as it supports QMK or VIA (if the knob isn't already mapped to volume). QMK/VIA will also let you create layers which you could put the media controls on or re-assign a few of the keys you don't use often to do those things. I'd say it'd be worth giving the GMMK Pro a look since it doesn't mean having to wait for group buys but if you're after something more specific you'll have to just keep an eye on the group buys that are coming out in case there's something that jumps out.

As for the LEDs, that's sort of a difficult one. You can get in-switch LEDs which means you can de-solder the LED that failed and then throw another in there, not all PCBs will support them though. Other than that you could de-solder the surface mount LED on the PCB when it fails and then solder on a new one. The LEDs should last a somewhat decent time though.
I was just looking at the GMMK Pro, and was all for it until I found it does not offer a number pad, which I've become used to with my Corsair.

I am going on 4 years with my Corsair, with pretty heavy use especially over the past 2 years, and I am just beginning to have LED problems. I guess I got my moneys worth, but it's a bummer to have to trash this keyboard because of the LED's failing. I otherwise love the board.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 23:22:31 »

I was just looking at the GMMK Pro, and was all for it until I found it does not offer a number pad, which I've become used to with my Corsair.

I am going on 4 years with my Corsair, with pretty heavy use especially over the past 2 years, and I am just beginning to have LED problems. I guess I got my moneys worth, but it's a bummer to have to trash this keyboard because of the LED's failing. I otherwise love the board.

Good luck finding a full-sized. There is a very small population of the community that likes full-sized and when they come around they are usually pretty expensive relative to the other KBs in this already expensive hobby. You might be better off looking for a 75% or TKL and just getting a separate num/macro pad. Also, if you haven't already tested a bunch of switches, get a switch tester and a sample pack of tactiles (or maybe linears since you like browns and they are essentially scratchy linears). If you're going to be spending the kind of money you need to spend to get a Full-Sized on mechmarket (big woof on that price) or a 75%/TKL + num pad then it is worth testing out a bunch of different options. Hippokeys has a couple of great and very reasonably priced sample packs here. https://hippokeys.com/collections/frontpage

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 00:30:07 »
Oh derp...1800s. There is the Rekt1800 if you want something that feels good. Cannonkeys does a great job with their in-stock boards in terms of quality. Or if you don't care if it's plastic you can get the Stacked1800. There's also the TKC1800, but I wouldn't recommend it over the Stacked1800. If you absolutely must have a rotary encoder just buy one. I think they are silly since you can just use QMK or VIA to map whatever function you need, and you can put it on a different layer if you actually need all of the other function keys to be used for other commands. VIA makes it super easy. I wouldn't waste your money on something with a rotary encoder.

Offline nyaR

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 17:45:53 »
Roger. I may go for a 75% then. What are some good sites to order parts from. I am not sure if I am going to bother building as it seems more expensive than say a Mount Everest Max would. I was considering building in hopes it would be 100% replaceable, including RGB LED's, but this doesn't seem possible.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 10:41:17 »
I have crafted a beautiful and extensive response for you. ;)

What parts do you need? Like all of them?

Switches will depend on the switch that you want to use, so I would start with some sample packs to get an idea especially if you are new into the hobby. I thought that I knew what I liked for my first build, and it wasn't until I told a friend I would help them with a build and ordered a bunch of samples that I realized what qualities I like more (a rabbit hole for people like me that leads to the v expensive sub-hobby of switch modding and frankenswitching). I could have saved about $50 just by getting samples first.

Once you have an idea of that you can hop on thocstock.com since they compile some of the in-stock items at various sites that way you don't have to worry about finding something only to discover it's a group buy and you wouldn't get it until Q4 of next year. For the keyboard you will want to have an idea of some colors and form factors and layouts that you want and then you can keep an eye out for some in-stock ones. Thocstock usually has most of those that are in-stock since there are far fewer in-stock keyboards. Decide if you want to solder starting out or if you want to start with hotswap. If you don't already have soldering equipment I recommend starting with hotswap where you can dip your toes into the hobby without committing to also learning how to solder properly and potentially messing up your first build.

You'll probably end up at Cannonkeys if you are going to solder since they have the best in-stock keyboards imo. They also include a carrying case with some of their keyboards which is super cool and they are pretty nice. Otherwise with hotswap you will be looking at KBDFans or Idobao probably. There are other places you can get even cheaper ones, but I don't recommend doing that. Idobao uses what is called an integrated plate for the keyboard most people get from there which is probably the stiffest typing feel, and their cases are known to sound a little hollow, but they are pretty reasonably priced. I have an ID80 from them that I used to dip my toes in, and eventually I modded it with butyl sheets to get rid of that (but that's an endeavor and I am autistic and have ADHD so I only got through it because I hyperfocus on things I can specialize and develop mastery in), but now I use it as a test board for switches and one to break in some switches for boards I build for other people. They also send you a USB-C to USB-A cable which can be nice if you don't have one already, but they are super cheap too so that's not THAT much of a benefit. KBDFans is better, but a little more expensive. Their mounting system on most boards is slightly less stiff and a little more comfortable, but it is more about the quality of the components for them. They have really great entry level in-stock keyboards and they sell individual components as well so you can choose a different plate or pcb. If you go that route just know that you will need the keyboard case, compatible PCB, and compatible plate. You can reach out to them on Discord and they are pretty good at responding and helping you get the things that you need. Or you can just ask in here if you choose that route and I can help (or many other people can as well).

Keycaps are going to be all over the place on so many sites, so worry about that after you choose the case color you want, and just make sure it has all of the keys you need to fit your layout and that it has the keys that you want.

Also, you'll want to get your own screw-in stabilizers since the clip-in ones are noticeably worse sounding and of lower quality, and some lubricant to keep them from rattling as they are the biggest source of really bad sounds coming from a keyboard. Don't worry about lubing and filming switches until you are ready to up your game. With a hotswap board you can easily do that later.

I would start with the sites I listed. NovelKeys is usually pretty good, but they are kind of popular so they are often out of stock of a lot of things though they are really great about telling you when things will be restocked. Divinikey is also really great, and they stock a lot KBDFans things, so look there if you live in the US.

I hope that helps.

Offline Kokukenji

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 11:44:42 »
I'll jump in based on my experience. I too came from a K70 (Seems like a lot of folks did too) and am now using the GMMK Pro. I can tell you that at first, the thought of not having a numpad might be overwhelming but for someone who uses this keyboard for both gaming and work, it's manageable. Dare I say that I might even be able to run a 65% since I don't see myself using the F keys unless they are re-programmed for other functions.

If you think you'll be into customizing and building your keyboard, give a 75% a try. If not, there are other prebuilt boards from name brand manufacturer such as Logitech/Apex and of course Corsair that does provide decent options with num pad. I personally went that route before going into the custom mech scene. I tried the following for at least a week before changing my mind on all of them and dove right in to picking and choosing my own stuff; Corsair K100, Corsair K70 Championship TKL, Corsair K65, Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite, Logitech G915, Logitech G915 TKL, Logitech Pro X. So I did go through a few and none of them had a lasting effect. They were all over $100 bucks too and some crossing over the $200 range when I got them. You can build a decent mech that meet your preference for the same price, as long as you don't mind money saving options and mods.

Offline nyaR

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 16:39:21 »
Thank you both for your replies. I am 100% content with my K70, I particularly like the black aluminum finish, volume control, cherry MX browns, and RGB LED.. these are things I definitely want in my next keyboard; I may consider other switches and I am not totally set on sticking with browns.

aerOcraft - Thanks for your detailed response. I did not buy anything yet, I didn't even know building keyboards was a thing until I told my brother about my Corsair LED's dying and he mentioned he is considering a build. I figured I could use a new project so I thought I'd see what my options are. I outlined above what my key requirements are, everything else I do not know much about and will need to do some more reading.  I do like the idea of hot swap switches. I am able to solder, but have never really soldered on a circuit board and not sure if I want to use an expensive keyboard to learn on.

I wish a manufacturer would come out with boards that have LED's built into the switches, so if an LED dies, I replace the switch.. or just swappable LED's. I am now a little nervous to spend $200 on a board and have to replace it when LED's begin to die, kind of like the boat I am in now. When I start work in the morning, when I telecommute, its dark and having an illuminated keyboard is awesome and don't think I could function without it.

The Mount Everest Max looks like exactly what I want. What are your guys thoughts on it?

I may also consider the GMMK pro, based on your comments Kokukenji, I don't heavily rely on the num pad, but it's convenient having it there. I guess I could adjust to not having it. I watched this video last night and it looks great. Though, it does seem a little pricey, and the Mount Everest Max looks like a better bang for your buck, + number pad support.

t=6s

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2021, 19:00:36 by nyaR »

Offline Kokukenji

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 22:09:18 »
I actually am not too familiar with that keyboard so I can't comment on the build quality. The GMMK Pro might be expensive depending on the build.

The Mount Everest Max is $270 with numpad
The GMMK Pro is $170 + switch ($40) + keycaps ($40) but no numpad

Can really go either way but seemingly you might be happier with the Mount Everest Max since it ticks all of your options.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 21:07:06 »
Strap yourself in because this one is going to be a doozy.

TLDR: The Everest is garbage. Get the GMMK Pro.

Thank you both for your replies. I am 100% content with my K70, I particularly like the black aluminum finish, volume control, cherry MX browns, and RGB LED.. these are things I definitely want in my next keyboard; I may consider other switches and I am not totally set on sticking with browns.

You can use VIA (or QMK if you are so ambitious to learn) to remap almost every custom keyboard so that you can set up any of those commands and put them on any key you want. You can also create usually 3 extra function layers so you can have any command or macro that you could need on even a 40%. So when it comes to volume control, any custom keyboard inherently comes with volume control. I have all of my keyboards that have macro/function keys as a vertical cluster on the right set up so that the top two ones control volume, on function layer 1 those same keys are next and previous track and the backspace is mute. For the Savage65 I bring with me to use with my Macbook I have the volume control on the top two keys and screen brightness on the two below them. For this reason I'm of the opinion that rotary encoders are cool, but less practical than just mapping the command to a key. As long as the PCB has the LED vias and you get switches that have holes for them to pass through you can install per switch RGB with RGB LEDs costing like $8/100pcs on amazon. You can also use VIA/QMK to map all of the lighting controls including colors, brightness, patterns, etc. I can't emphasize enough how much I recommend doing a switch tester. People get browns as tactile switches as an entry switch, but when you branch out you find that they are so weakly tactile that the almost feel like linear switches. It isn't expensive to do.

I didn't even know building keyboards was a thing until I told my brother about my Corsair LED's dying and he mentioned he is considering a build. I figured I could use a new project so I thought I'd see what my options are. I outlined above what my key requirements are, everything else I do not know much about and will need to do some more reading.  I do like the idea of hot swap switches. I am able to solder, but have never really soldered on a circuit board and not sure if I want to use an expensive keyboard to learn on.

I got into the hobby after trying to find out how to replace the LEDs in my old Ducky Shine3. Soldering on a circuit board is really easy. It's just soldering on a smaller scale and you have more things that you need to solder in the case of a keyboard. Hotswap is a good start because you can dip your toes into the hobby without having to pick up new skills. You can spend the energy on lubing and filming switches and ilubing your stabilizers, especially if they come stock. But most hotswap PCBs only come with RGB underglow and not per switch.

I wish a manufacturer would come out with boards that have LED's built into the switches, so if an LED dies, I replace the switch.. or just swappable LED's. I am now a little nervous to spend $200 on a board and have to replace it when LED's begin to die, kind of like the boat I am in now. When I start work in the morning, when I telecommute, its dark and having an illuminated keyboard is awesome and don't think I could function without it.

There's no such thing as LEDs built into switches for a reason. It costs so much more in production and you have lower production quantities which makes them even more expensive. Instead, manufacturers will just have most of their switches with through holes so the user can install LEDs if they want and the board accepts it. If you want to be able to replace LEDs when they die then youll want a soldered PCB that has the option for it. It's actually super cheap abd super easy to replace LEDs as long as they aren't the kind they use for underglow. Also keep in mind that for keycaps that have LED shine through legends, they are much harder to see in the dark. A simply black on white kit is super visible. I have a keyset with blue on white and I have an easier time seeing the legends than when I had my Shine3. But I hear that you are really attached to the idea of having backlit keys and as an autistic person I fully understand the importance of ritualistic things so I won't go into why I think backlighting is unnecessary.

The Mount Everest Max looks like exactly what I want. What are your guys thoughts on it?

I may also consider the GMMK pro, based on your comments Kokukenji, I don't heavily rely on the num pad, but it's convenient having it there. I guess I could adjust to not having it. I watched this video last night and it looks great. Though, it does seem a little pricey, and the Mount Everest Max looks like a better bang for your buck, + number pad support.

I will preface this with saying I am not really a fan of the GMMK Pro when comparing it to other custom keyboards in terms of sound and feel.

That being said, I would not recommend the Everest at all. Honestly having a modular keyboard. First off, I would not call it better bang for your buck at all. The price is in Euros so converting to USD it comes out to $325 which is more than enough to get you a really good entry board. In fact you could get a board, switches, keycaps, and a macropad for less than the Everest, and it would both sound and feel better.  Second, they are sold out in black. The modularity is gimmicky. If you want a numpad get a board with a numpad or get a macro pad and map it as a numpad. Modularity like that adds more failure points. It's also way more efficient to just get into the habit of using your numerical cluster at above the alpha cluster. You already have to go there for symbols and it is far less work to use it than it is to use a numpad. Third, the media features are also gimmicky and they would likely burn out before any of your LEDs died. Fourth, it is almost fully ABS which sounds awful and feels mega cheap (ABS should be reserved for keycaps only and for plastic case components you want PC or acrylic, and possibly POM but only for the plate if you like the sound and feel of it) with a milled aluminum plate and thin aluminum top piece (making the sound arguably worse than if the whole case was just plastic because it adds a high pitched ping to the already not great plastic sound). Fifth, the required software is awful and massive and loads fully on your RAM which is annoyingly stupid af. Sixth, the keycaps that it comes with are absolute dog ****..like super horrible, and the upgraded keycaps which are basically necessary if you want to use it stock aren't even really that great. The ONLY thing I think they got right is actually lubing their stabilizers adequately. If you want a good and honest review check out the one from Chyrosran22 who I would say is the best YouTuber for production and classic mechanical keyboards. He's SUPER highly respected in the part of the community he is a part of which focuses on the keyboards that most people outside of the custom community are familiar with. He also does some of the best switch breakdowns and reviews when it comes to more commonly known stock switches, but he really favors the loudest and clickiest set ups which is pretty far from what the vast majority of the custom community likes (which is a deep thock with no ping and nothing rattly which means lubed and filmed switches and lubed stabilizers with something to help deaden the sound of the stabilizer legs hitting the PCB). None of the content creators who are deep in the custom keyboard community would ever review it except as a meme, and the only content creators who dip into the custom community aren't my favorite for product reviews because they suck the **** of products and compare them against other production keyboards like the ones from Razer, Corsair, and Logitech so it's not the greatest for a comparison between the two you're talking about.

https://youtu.be/dz9_F5Dc0xU

If you really want the best bang for your buck with hotswap, blacklighting, a rotary encoder, in black aluminum then get the GMMK Pro. I configured one to include their doubleshot PBT keycaps for backlighting for $205.  That gives you more than enough room to get sample switches, a 90 count of any stock switch (aside from ZealPC and GMMK switches which are way overpriced anyway and there are better switches on the market sometimes for half the price per switch, and I specify stock because creating a frankenswitch gets super expensive), lube, switch films, a switch opener, a brush for the lube, a stem holder, a lube station, a filled stabilizer lube syringe, and potentially even an upgraded plate and still spend less money than you would on the Everest. Plus the pro comes with case foam, screw-in stabilizers, a switch puller, a keycap puller, is gasket mounted (considered by many to be the best mounting design, and is going to feel and sound so much better than the Everest by a lot, although the gaskets they use are kind of firm and isn't as nice as gasket mounted keyboards you would get on a group buy), and it is fully compatible with QMK and VIA out of the box. You can also get different rotary knobs, a carrying case, a nice coiled cable with an aviator connector, a wrist rest, and an upgraded brass or PC plate straight from them. Plus it is fully CNC'd aluminum. And a note about the keycaps, the quality gap between the ones on the Everest and the GMMK Pro isn't even close. Like the GMMK Pro's keycaps aren't top tier, but they blow the ones you can get with the Everest out of the water.Interestingly enough, Chyrosran22 did a review on the GMMK Pro as well. I'll also add a review by Taeha who is the most well known streamer and YouTuber in the community, and a really comprehensive unboxing and light review by Mechmerlin who is one of the most knowledgeable content creators when it comes to custom keyboards. Keep in mind that content creators who focus on custom keyboards are going to be very critical on the GMMK Pro because they are usually working with MUCH nicer keyboards and builds. For overall quality comparison between the two I would go with Chyrosran22. If you end up getting more into the hobby then Mechmerlin does a weekly segment on Twitch that he puts on YouTube a few days later where he goes over most group buys and always has an audience submitted section and the following week includes anything missed that he comes across, and Taeha has one of the most relaxing streams where he builds a ton of keyboards. A lot of content creators are really accessible for any questions if you DM them on social media. Not so much Taeha, but A LOT of others, and Chyrosran22 was the most incredibly helpful and responsive person when I was just barely getting into the hobby and pointed me to the parts of the community that would serve me better. He also happens to be hilarious when he is being critical of something.

https://youtu.be/m5S4F03C-zc
https://youtu.be/hS4czKl7WpQ
https://youtu.be/neHeIrYJJlY

My overall thoughts:

The Everest is The. Biggest. Waste. Of. Money. I have ever seen for a mechanical keyboard or anything else really. DO NOT get it. I'm autistic and to be able to respond comprehensively I had to read and watch stuff about it and research it for literally 4.5 hours, and I am so sad it took up that much of my day which could have been otherwise used for literally looking at the ceiling for 4.5 hours and been WAY more enjoyable. It is egregiously expensive for a bunch of gimmicks, and that's literally what you are paying for. You're spending more money than you would on a budget-friendly entry level custom keyboard and what you are getting is a dog **** keyboard that they called high quality because they put some lipstick and a fake Marc Jacobs top they got for $5 on ebay on it and tossed on a bunch of jewelry that is tinted to look like gold from the Claire's discount and sale rack. There are production keyboards that cost half as much and are of such better quality. I have no idea how anyone could justify spending over $300 on a keyboard that uses Cherry switches. They are memed in the community so hard for a good reason. I used to think my MX Browns were awesome. Then I bought T1s and realized that Cherry switches are straight up doo doo and now they make me feel icky when I have to type on them. The number one reason to spend money on a mechanical keyboard over any other keyboard is first and foremost because of the mechanical switches. I've spent less money building up keyboards that are so much better it isn't even comparable. Seriously, if you are interested in it because it has all of the things you liked about the K70, just get the K70. If you bought it, it would be like wanting a delicious meal of corn chowder in a bread bowl and seeing a turd with some pieces of corn in it and spending dumping your savings into it because someone put a bow on it when you would be better off buying a can of corn, a slice of Wonderbread, and a gas station creamer pod with change you found in your couch.

Get the GMMK Pro if (1) you are not trying to thrust balls deep into this hobby right away, (2) it has all of the features you want, and (3) your other choice is the Everest. I mean, there are a lot of worse keyboards out there, but not at the price point of the Everest. Out of all of the budget-friendly entry level keyboards that are very accesible I think the GMMK Pro is one of the top three.

If you are choosing between the two, 100 out of 100 times I would recommend the GMMK Pro over the Everest.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 06:21:50 »
To add to the Everest.
Never seen one, or heard of it till now, haven't even watched a review but I don't need to for one simple reason.   Cost.
It looks great and it's relatively expensive right?   

Wrong.
It's expensive compared to a more common high end keyboard such as Corsair, Razer, Ducky or Leopold, but those have fewer keys, no media controls, displays, modular parts, etc... All of that adds considerable expense. I'm not saying the Everest is bad, just that you can look at the price and think it's something more on par with something like a GMMK Pro when in reality it's probably closer to mid to low end keyboard with a bunch of extras.

Were this a plain board, I'd say meh, basic keyboards are pretty simple and China can do them well at stupid low prices but all this other stuff adds complexity and points of failure. All it takes is one company to cheap out on something and the whole thing becomes a mess and China is notorious for that. Boards like this also have terrible track records for longevity, the companies go bankrupt, the design has some major flaw, one way or another they just never stick around.

Remember, none of this makes it type any better and that is the ultimate job of a keyboard, you're spending over 4x as you would on comparable keyboard for unnecessary fluff and potential failure. Basic boards last because they only have one function. Can't break a dock connector if there's no dock connector. What happens when the screen dies or a connector goes bad?
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nyaR

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 19:53:15 »
Ok, thank you both for putting in the time for the lengthy responses. I am not getting the Mount Everest, I agree with your points. Who knows how long it will be around, or its manufacturer.

The GMMK has most of what I want, the only missing pieces is no number pad or media controls. Which I can live with, since I 99% of the time only use the volume control.

I thought Cherry switches were good. Can you recommend a set of switches to consider .. like a few that I can read up on and choose between. I am going to price out a GMMK setup and if it's relatively affordable I will go for it, so budget friendly but good recommendations would be ideal..I'm not looking for the Ferrari, but I'll take the Porsche 911 turbo..I don't want the Corvette or Mustang. Corsair now has my current board on sale, but a newer version, for $130. I know, it's not the best in your world of keyboards, but my current corsair board has worked great for this long, another one could get me another 5 years.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2021, 21:56:28 by nyaR »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 03:54:28 »
I thought Cherry switches were good. Can you recommend a set of switches to consider .. like a few that I can read up on and choose between. I am going to price out a GMMK setup and if it's relatively affordable I will go for it, so budget friendly but good recommendations would be ideal..I'm not looking for the Ferrari, but I'll take the Porsche 911 turbo..I don't want the Corvette or Mustang. Corsair now has my current board on sale, but a newer version, for $130. I know, it's not the best in your world of keyboards, but my current corsair board has worked great for this long, another one could get me another 5 years.

Thanks again
You're welcome.

Cherry is good, it;s well known, consistent and been a round forever, I think people are just bored with them, not to mention there is a whole train load of hype that gets spread, because this is a hobby. It's like Chevy vs Ford or any other intense hobby, people love to pick sides and pick a team to stand behind. Nothing really is wrong with them, they're kind of the standard everyone compares to. Some see that as a bad thing but if everyone compares themselves to you, you must be doing something right if that's who everyone is chasing. Other than the light springs being prone to ping (spring noise). Swap springs, maybe add some lube, Cherry will stand up to anything out there. As is the case with almost any switch really.

Sure, stems can wobble more or less: Some people make major deal about it, personally I think it's a whole lot of nothing. One switch may have more or less tactile, that's personal preference. As soon as you decide on a type of switch opinions fly like birds. If you like Cherry, get Cherry, no reason to change what works for you.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Kokukenji

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:54:21 »
Switches is subjective. Especially once you start hearing the different sound each might make and even how they feel. My K70 was using Cherry MX Speed Silver. I've always used Cherry type of switches prior to building my own. You honestly wouldn't know what you're missing out until you start typing on different switches.

Now that the Everest Max is out of the picture, compare the cost of building a GMMK Pro against one of the newer Corsair keyboards. Those should be readily available at your local Best Buy (Depending where you live) so you can at least tell if you like the new stuff and how it compares to your current K70.

Offline Volny

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 20:39:14 »
Why not another corsair keyboard? Like a k100, or another k70 if you can find it?

I had a k100, and the RGB quality and customisability of the Corsair iCue software was superb. I personally hated the cherry speed silver switches because they were super easy to press accidentally. But you can get it with different switches (not sure if it comes with browns though).

As Leslieann said, basically all switches are fine. If you like them, look no further. Once you start investigating switches it's a bottomless rabbit hole. Fun, but ultimately expensive and very time consuming. Only consider changing switches if you're dissatisfied somehow (eg. They're too noisy, your fingers hurt, or you make typos all the time)

Offline nyaR

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 October 2021, 13:25:34 »
I may go that route since my current Corsair treated me well. I have no issues typing, and not really looking to get into the world of keyboard modding/building as I'm not a keyboard/typing enthusiast. K70 is on sale now for $110, and its a newer version that what I have.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 October 2021, 13:27:23 by nyaR »

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 16:21:15 »
I may go that route since my current Corsair treated me well. I have no issues typing, and not really looking to get into the world of keyboard modding/building as I'm not a keyboard/typing enthusiast. K70 is on sale now for $110, and its a newer version that what I have.

If you aren't really looking to get into the custom keyboard hobby and just want something built for you either go with the GMMK Pro or just a store bought one that you like for around $120-150. A GMMK Pro will definitely sound better and feel better, especially if you are looking for tactile switches and care to pay for their lubed Glorious Pandas, or Glorious Lynxes if you are looking for linear. But they are also way more expensive than getting other tactile switches that are better and popping them in. But the keycaps on the GMMK Pro if you get the PBT Premium ones then those will also feel and sound better. If you want some recommendations for linear and tactile here are a few in-stock ones that I would recommend.

Linear:
https://bespokekeys.shop/products/tecsee-diamond-linear-switches
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/switches/products/lavender-linear-switch
https://www.primekb.com/collections/switches/products/alpaca-linears

Tactile:
https://www.primekb.com/collections/switches/products/tactile-switches
https://thekey.company/collections/in-stock/products/c3-equalz-x-tkc-kiwi-switches
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/featured/products/neapolitan-ice-cream-switch
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/featured/products/anubis-switch
https://swagkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-u4t-boba-switches

The switch thing is only if you plan to get the GMMK Pro. I really don't recommend their "glorious" switches as they are so expensive and they aren't any better than any of the ones I just listed.

Offline nyaR

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 17:08:32 »

If you aren't really looking to get into the custom keyboard hobby and just want something built for you either go with the GMMK Pro or just a store bought one that you like for around $120-150. A GMMK Pro will definitely sound better and feel better, especially if you are looking for tactile switches and care to pay for their lubed Glorious Pandas, or Glorious Lynxes if you are looking for linear. But they are also way more expensive than getting other tactile switches that are better and popping them in. But the keycaps on the GMMK Pro if you get the PBT Premium ones then those will also feel and sound better. If you want some recommendations for linear and tactile here are a few in-stock ones that I would recommend.

Linear:
https://bespokekeys.shop/products/tecsee-diamond-linear-switches
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/switches/products/lavender-linear-switch
https://www.primekb.com/collections/switches/products/alpaca-linears

Tactile:
https://www.primekb.com/collections/switches/products/tactile-switches
https://thekey.company/collections/in-stock/products/c3-equalz-x-tkc-kiwi-switches
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/featured/products/neapolitan-ice-cream-switch
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/featured/products/anubis-switch
https://swagkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gazzew-u4t-boba-switches

The switch thing is only if you plan to get the GMMK Pro. I really don't recommend their "glorious" switches as they are so expensive and they aren't any better than any of the ones I just listed.
I don't think I need all of the bells and whistles that custom keyboards seem to offer, as I likely would not even realize the bells and whistles. I use my keyboard for 8 hours of the day for work, and then whenever I am on my computer for programming, occasional gaming, and surfing youtube etc. My current Corsair K70 with MX browns I think is plenty.. specifically how the keys sound, how they feel when pressed, are things that I don't think spending $250-$300 on is worth.

Offline krakn

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 18:09:38 »
maybe look at the mode 80? if you want a TKL keyboard.
https://shop.modedesigns.com/pages/eighty

Offline nyaR

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 18:19:28 »
maybe look at the mode 80? if you want a TKL keyboard.
https://shop.modedesigns.com/pages/eighty
Volume knob for me is critical, I've become so used to it from having it the past 4 years.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 23:33:25 »
Yeah, dude. That's totally valid. The amount of time you spend using a keyboard is a lot and the argument can be made for getting a nicer one for that reason. But honestly if it doesn't interest you then just get what you already used and liked. My first MKB was a Razer Blackwidow with MX Blues and I loved it back then, and my second was a Ducky Shine3 with MX Browns which I also loved for the years I used it. There's no shame in getting and using what you like. I, and many others here, started with a factory keyboard and somehow found our way here and got hooked. I wouldn't go back to using those keyboards or switches because I'm super into the hobby and I have sensory sensitivities that give custom keyboards a great deal of value to me along with loving to tinker with things and build things. But it sounds like it would honestly be a waste of money for you, so get yourself that new K70 on sale. I'm sure you'll be totally happy with the purchase, and that's really the most important thing when it comes to keyboards. And honestly, this hobby is a sinkhole for your money. It just disappears so fast. Haha. You'll save yourself more money than just the difference between building up a GMMK Pro and buying a K70.

Offline nyaR

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 23:43:25 »
Yeah, dude. That's totally valid. The amount of time you spend using a keyboard is a lot and the argument can be made for getting a nicer one for that reason. But honestly if it doesn't interest you then just get what you already used and liked. My first MKB was a Razer Blackwidow with MX Blues and I loved it back then, and my second was a Ducky Shine3 with MX Browns which I also loved for the years I used it. There's no shame in getting and using what you like. I, and many others here, started with a factory keyboard and somehow found our way here and got hooked. I wouldn't go back to using those keyboards or switches because I'm super into the hobby and I have sensory sensitivities that give custom keyboards a great deal of value to me along with loving to tinker with things and build things. But it sounds like it would honestly be a waste of money for you, so get yourself that new K70 on sale. I'm sure you'll be totally happy with the purchase, and that's really the most important thing when it comes to keyboards. And honestly, this hobby is a sinkhole for your money. It just disappears so fast. Haha. You'll save yourself more money than just the difference between building up a GMMK Pro and buying a K70.
I pulled the trigger tonight while it was on sale, a Corsair K70 MK.2 with Cherry MX Browns for $110. I got lucky with timing and can't pass it up. Volume roller + media keys + price, its exactly what I want and not sacrificing anything. Thank you all for spending the time to respond, maybe down the road I'll get into the hobby.  :thumb: