Author Topic: [IC] i-Rocks Switches  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
[IC] i-Rocks Switches
« on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 12:50:43 »

i-Rocks Mechanical Switches
The best of MX and Alps!

Join the Discord and fill out the IC form to get updates and show your interest!
An initial batch of all three variants have been ordered. This IC serves to indicate interest in further orders and related material (plates/PCBs).

Switch Specs:
More details:
More
50,000,000 actuations
Clear top housings with support for 2 and 4 pin through hole LEDs
Hybrid pinout that works in MX/Alps PCBs.
Custom plate cutout available in ai03 plate generator
Contacts similar to Alps SKBM
Tactile/Clicky leaf spring like Alps SKCM
No interference with Cherry profile keycaps

Additional Photos

Red Silent Linear   

Total Travel: 4.0mm
Actuation Point: 2.0mm
Actuation Force: 40g
    Brown Silent Tactile   

Actuation Point: 1.9mm
Actuation Force: 50g
Tactile Force: 50g
Blue Clicky

Actuation Point: 2.0mm
Actuation Force: 35g
Tactile Force: 60g

Price: Apprx 0.43-0.46 USD / switch
Timeline : Dec 2022/Jan 2023 for first batch

PREORDER STATUS: SALE LIVE

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2022, 08:39:17 by Tymm0 »
tealtechnik.com

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
Re: [IC]I-Rocks Switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 13:20:37 »
Does the top housing of these switches have issues with keycaps that are cherry profile?

Offline KeyBros_

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 13:23:53 »
EYOOOOOOOOOO

Offline el_lento

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 13:39:58 »
Very interested in this, also echoing the same doubt about compatibility for cherry profile keycaps.

Offline alas

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 13:55:41 »
Does the top housing of these switches have issues with keycaps that are cherry profile?

I can't verify if they do or not, but I have a few small washer designs that can be 3D printed or laser cut that would fix any potential interference.
I don't remember there being any interference on my i-rocks K76M with GMK, but I could be misremembering.
It might be dependent on the specific Cherry profile caps, they're not all made the same.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 October 2022, 14:09:34 by alas »

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 14:16:04 »

it is very close with a GMK keycap the front edge of the switch is either very close or touching the front edge of the keycap but the top of the switch is also touching the cross points underneath the keycap. it looks to be no worse than a backwards MX switch though. Bottom row is probably touching for sure while the top row might not be but the full travel is 4 mm while the actuation is about 1.8 according to what they sent me.
tealtechnik.com

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 14:48:39 »
Any protos info? Why are you considering initial batch without showing us protos or videos about it?

Enviado de meu SM-G780G usando o Tapatalk

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 15:51:21 »
Any protos info? Why are you considering initial batch without showing us protos or videos about it?

Enviado de meu SM-G780G usando o Tapatalk

Post updated with more photos and information. Initially they didn't even have any blues on hand to send as samples so that is why we dont have any good pictures of those. We have a prototype of the plate but mainly we were trying to see how extensive the interest in these switches. They are not a new switch and have been around a while but we wanted to see if we can push them out in to the light a little bit as we think they are very interesting with a lot of potential.

But i do want to say you are absolutely right and I should have had all that written up better before posting in the first place. Thanks for the feedback.
tealtechnik.com

Offline herfalerf

Re: [IC] i-Rocks Switches
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 19:09:02 »
so why only silent or clicky variants?  I think most folks prefer undampened switches.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 01:43:08 »
This is great to see. Any chance of an exploded view with more specs?

Also would be interested in a linear non dampened version.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline crookey

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 06:24:26 »
Minecraft switches!

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 October 2022, 06:40:30 »
so why only silent or clicky variants?  I think most folks prefer undampened switches.

I would definitely agree with you that most people probably prefer undampened switches. i-Rocks only officially makes dampened switches for their keyboards. We managed to convince them to try a small batch of undampened for the clicky switch as our initial findings were that most people were looking for the clicky to be undampened. If we get larger interest we can make a larger order for undampened. However, it is also very easy to remove the dampener. The design of the dampener is simple - it includes 2 o-rings - one on each side of the stem which bottom out before anything else. These can be removed with tweezers pretty easily.
tealtechnik.com

Offline Sylanthra

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 19:04:50 »
I am a bit confused, do these switches work with both MX and Alps PCBs or do they specifically require a PCB that supports both MX and Alps switches. Same question for plates, does it work with both MX and Alps plates or only hybrid plates?

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 October 2022, 05:20:47 »
I am a bit confused, do these switches work with both MX and Alps PCBs or do they specifically require a PCB that supports both MX and Alps switches. Same question for plates, does it work with both MX and Alps plates or only hybrid plates?

Pcb must support both - it needs a center hole like MX and Alps pins. Plate is completely different switch cutout. The stabilizer works as normal though.
tealtechnik.com

Offline CaiusCosades

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 October 2022, 12:05:57 »
SUPER interested in these. I’m down to buy undampened clickies as soon as (if) they’re available.
I was thinking about using a hiney PCB & Freebird TKL for alps build but now I’m thinking i-rocks clickies would work better.

Any chance of getting a compatible plate? If not, is a plateless build viable with these switches?

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 17:49:37 »
We do have a plan in place to do a group buy for a plate and a pcb at the very least. The initial preorder for switches is open right now.
tealtechnik.com

Offline plag

• Formerly pepperonichicken
  • i also go by plag
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 17:52:23 »
im kinda hype for this even though compatibility with preexisting customs may be limited. would love to see someone develop plates and pcbs for common mounts/kits  :p

Offline CaiusCosades

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 21:06:12 »
We do have a plan in place to do a group buy for a plate and a pcb at the very least. The initial preorder for switches is open right now.

Sweet! Ordered 100 blues & 100 browns.
Gonna take a second & advocate for a plate & PCB that’ll fit Freebird TKls if possible.
Board is affordable & should stay in stock after the initial wave ship. Plus, as far as I can tell, existing Alps/MX Hiney PCBs should work with the i-rocks switches & Freebird case.

Just a totally non-biased suggestion  ;)

Offline Tymm0

• Teal Technik
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 06:50:11 »

Sweet! Ordered 100 blues & 100 browns.
Gonna take a second & advocate for a plate & PCB that’ll fit Freebird TKls if possible.
Board is affordable & should stay in stock after the initial wave ship. Plus, as far as I can tell, existing Alps/MX Hiney PCBs should work with the i-rocks switches & Freebird case.

Just a totally non-biased suggestion  ;)

that is absolutely a good point that the hiney pcbs should work with these switches.
tealtechnik.com

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 06:53:21 »
You can't facilitate a GB in an IC-thread, please submit a GB-thread. IC-locked
Very busy with studies atm.