Author Topic: New Gigabyte Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Whiskey in the Jar-o

New Gigabyte Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 08:46:02 »

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 09:06:07 »
The keycap font and icons look exactly like those on KBtalking keyboards.  Sadly it look about as stylish as something from the 1970s.  Maybe Costar Electronics is making it for them.
http://www.taiwan-technology.com/product.html?catid=1B0215

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 09:13:29 »
I kind of like the look, but how the hell are they claiming they have the 1st mechanical gaming keyboard? Didn't they ever hear of the Commodore 64?

Offline pex

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 09:35:18 »
I hope they didn't spend time 'developing' a 'gaming' keyboard to not even make it n-key rollover.  I bet it'll cost tons.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 09:42:52 »
And it says it's "non-click" (it's a good sign this isn't the best product when there is such a glaring grammatical error as that) so I'm with Whiskey on this one - I bet it has the blacks.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 09:46:06 »
I think they are calling it "1st" to portray it as the best in its class or in a leadership position over other manufacturers of mechanical boards.  Perhaps their "Engrish" is not so good.  I certainly hope that such a big and technically capable company would not make the mistake of thinking that theirs was the first ever mechanical gaming keyboard.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 10:00:06 »
At least it has good looks.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 10:05:17 »
I'd put it up against a lot of keyboards we routinely talk about here in terms of it being the best keyboard. I hate when companies have copy like that - they might as well say "if you ever buy anyone else's product again, you will be sent to the hell where people are skinned alive." What's worse is enough people are receptive top that sort of stuff.

Offline IBI

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 10:34:05 »
It's a nice looking keyboard and the layout's not bad. Stick in a trackpoint and it would be perfect.

Assuming their 'worldwide' keyboard will have a proper UK layout and full n-key rollover of course.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 March 2008, 14:11:34 »
Heck, if nothing else, the Déck keyboards predate this, and are meant for gaming...

And, the Apple II is a better example than the C64, as the Apple II was designed for the purpose of running a version of Breakout written in BASIC. :)