Author Topic: [GB] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (shifts being made)  (Read 160965 times)

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (huge update [pricing])
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 20:27:29 »
Do you have an estimate for how long it would take for Maxkeys to produce the set?

Offline lovetree

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 23:17:02 »

Is there only one 1u CTRL key in bottom line while there are two 1u alt keys?

Offline Petch

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 02:57:25 »
SA oblivion has it split across 2 lines. I think that's better than using a smaller font and trying to cram it in

You make a great point. I'm not digging how it isn't on one line, but it does look better that way. I'll change it.

Cool, thanks

Is there only one 1u CTRL key in bottom line while there are two 1u alt keys?

I'm not 100% sure what's going on with the extra keys to be honest...

If the row profiles are 112343... shouldn't these red keys be on R3? And then an extra 1u Fn and Ctrl key for R3?

I'll be honest, I'm not too familiar with SA profile, but isn't there also some extra up arrow key included that matches the bottom row profile? So in this case, an R3 up arrow in additional to the R4 with the base set

I don't mean to be picky, I just want this to be a solid set with no oversights
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 August 2017, 03:03:36 by Petch »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:09:07 »
I have another (somewhat small) update.

The buy is coming soon™. No joke, however.

I have a to do list before the buy:

* Work out cost (and payment) with maxkeys, and ensure the molds will be produced correctly.
* Send calm depths keys to janglad to color match to pantone colors.
* Work out EU proxy (There will be no asian proxy. I apologise, but you'll have to get your order shipped from the states if you're in asia.)
* Get some samples of the base kit (probably only color samples, but I'll see what I can do to get a full set)
* Figure out when to pay Maxkeys. (They don't take orders until october, trying to get an  exact date ATM.

After everything on my checklist is completed, I'll be good to go and start the GB.

Also, kit render! :D
Thanks, /u/janglad!

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:37:53 by ye_cole »

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (small update: to do list + kit render)
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:27:45 »

The buy is coming soon. No joke, however.

* Work out cost (and payment) with maxkeys, and ensure the molds will be produced correctly.
* Work out EU proxy (There will be no asian proxy. I apologise, but you'll have to get your order shipped from the states if you're in asia.)
* Get some samples of the base kit (probably only color samples, but I'll see what I can do to get a full set)
* Figure out when to pay Maxkeys. (They don't take orders until october, trying to get an  exact date ATM.

After everything on my checklist is completed, I'll be good to go and start the GB.

Thanks, /u/janglad!

http://i.imgur.com/0Z4KoQO.jpg
Just wanted to note that your render has 2 blue tilde keys instead of 1 blue and 1 grey.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:37:02 »
Just wanted to note that your render has 2 blue tilde keys instead of 1 blue and 1 grey.

Note taken. Will update ASAP.

Do you have an estimate for how long it would take for Maxkeys to produce the set?

I'll ask them about that.

If the row profiles are 112343... shouldn't these red keys be on R3? And then an extra 1u Fn and Ctrl key for R3?

My bad. Fixed these issues in the render.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:41:34 by ye_cole »

Offline Pepe_Silvia

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:21:56 »
Will this set gave a matte finish or semi-gloss?

Offline Petch

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 02:55:35 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

Looks good, besides the tilde key already mentioned.

What about an additional Up Arrow key, but in R3 instead of R4? Like I mentioned earlier, this is pretty common for SA in 12343 because it gives people the choice of having the rows match for aesthetics, or a more comfortable up arrow

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 04:31:01 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

What about an additional Up Arrow key, but in R3 instead of R4? Like I mentioned earlier, this is pretty common for SA in 12343 because it gives people the choice of having the rows match for aesthetics, or a more comfortable up arrow

AFAIK not possible due to how MaxKeys has their molds set up: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6wwzrc/coming_soon/dmbgxyn/

Offline Petch

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 05:01:19 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

AFAIK not possible due to how MaxKeys has their molds set up: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6wwzrc/coming_soon/dmbgxyn/

They can do countless novelties in R3, but not an arrow?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:01:25 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

Perhaps read the link above.

Offline Petch

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:03:22 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

How does anything in that link explain how R3 novelties are fine but an R3 up arrow isn't?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:04:25 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

How does anything in that link explain how R3 novelties are fine but an up arrow isn't?

"Yeah, but MaxKeys has giant molds that press dozens of different keys at a time (e.g. all the alphas at once), so to produce just one more R3 arrow key, they'd produce a lot of waste (aka driving up cost). They are not as flexible as SP which presses multiple of the same key at once."

Offline Petch

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:10:13 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

How does anything in that link explain how R3 novelties are fine but an up arrow isn't?

"Yeah, but MaxKeys has giant molds that press dozens of different keys at a time (e.g. all the alphas at once), so to produce just one more R3 arrow key, they'd produce a lot of waste (aka driving up cost). They are not as flexible as SP which presses multiple of the same key at once."

Okay...? That still doesn't explain any difference between a novelty (done often with maxkey sets) and an up arrow. There are sets with 6+ novelties across multiple rows at low costs still, so I don't think one effective novelty is going to break the bank - if this waste even happens in the first place.

If they have to press X amount of keys at once, say 12 per row, as long as you don't have over 12 novelties there's no extra waste anyway
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:21:15 by Petch »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 06:56:27 »

Thanks, /u/janglad!

Show Image

Okay...? That still doesn't explain any difference between a novelty (done often with maxkey sets) and an up arrow. There are sets with 6+ novelties across multiple rows at low costs still, so I don't think one effective novelty is going to break the bank - if this waste even happens in the first place.

If they have to press X amount of keys at once, say 12 per row, as long as you don't have over 12 novelties there's no extra waste anyway

Sure that would work, but then you'd essentially be starting a novelty mold for that one key, and that costs a lot to make. And in their eyes, arrows already exist.

Offline Petch

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:07:40 »
Sure that would work, but then you'd essentially be starting a novelty mold for that one key, and that costs a lot to make. And in their eyes, arrows already exist.

Just make a duplicate R3 down arrow, no new mold needed  ;D

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:30:19 »

And now we have the initial problem that you have now created a bunch of waste because a dozen other keys got printed with it as well. Even with getting three of the desired keys out of each additional press, it's overhead that few would like to see added to their bill.

Offline Petch

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:34:51 »

And now we have the initial problem that you have now created a bunch of waste because a dozen other keys got printed with it as well. Even with getting three of the desired keys out of each additional press, it's overhead that few would like to see added to their bill.

Ah, I see what you're saying now - I think. It's either a new duplicate mold is made as a novelty OR they run they entire keyset again to harvest the R3 arrows?
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:39:28 by Petch »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:47:42 »

Ah, I see what you're saying now - I think. It's either a new duplicate mold is made as a novelty OR they run they entire keyset again to harvest the R3 arrows?

Correct, well most of an entire new set but in essence yes.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 18:28:40 »
I believe the text arrow will not be a issue since the Lime was already created the mod for it. Remember the up key is R4.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 21:01:52 »
I believe the text arrow will not be a issue since the Lime was already created the mod for it. Remember the up key is R4.

I'm going to use the big arrows (not text based). I'd like to keep this somewhat similar to the OG set, and I also like the look of those arrows over the text based arrows.

Offline Zubame

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 21:12:35 »
Will this be available on Taobao directly from Maxkeys?

Offline Petch

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 04:31:23 »

I'm going to use the big arrows (not text based). I'd like to keep this somewhat similar to the OG set, and I also like the look of those arrows over the text based arrows.

Are you not at all interested in an R3 up arrow? Even if you're not, it would be good to get confirmation on whether or not they can add it without creating much waste because it will likely become a 'standard' key to include in the future, as it is with SP SA sets. The reason you would want an R3 up is because otherwise your arrow cluster has this profile:

Also, I saw your comment on leddit about F1 changing to FI, so it's consistent with the FII... shouldn't this be the other way around, so they're F1 and F11 rather than FI and FII? Why have 2 out of the 12 as numerals?
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 August 2017, 04:45:37 by Petch »

Offline Calza

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 05:00:01 »
I would be all over these Maxkey sets if only they had ISO support.

For us Europeans who grew up on ISO and the different layout, its hard to adapt.

Offline Zubame

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 08:08:51 »
Also, I saw your comment on leddit about F1 changing to FI, so it's consistent with the FII... shouldn't this be the other way around, so they're F1 and F11 rather than FI and FII? Why have 2 out of the 12 as numerals?

If they did that, they also need to change F10 and F12. The current set has F1 FI0 FII and FI2. It's cheaper to only change FI.

Offline Petch

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 08:27:44 »

If they did that, they also need to change F10 and F12. The current set has F1 FI0 FII and FI2. It's cheaper to only change FI.

I imagine in time they'll only end up changing them all to 1s anyway, oh well

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 09:16:14 »
Are you not at all interested in an R3 up arrow? Even if you're not, it would be good to get confirmation on whether or not they can add it without creating much waste because it will likely become a 'standard' key to include in the future, as it is with SP SA sets. The reason you would want an R3 up is because otherwise your arrow cluster has this profile:

I somewhat am. However, I don't want to bump up the price on this any further, as I already said that it was going to be $90 at 200, and it turned out that this price was only doable at 500 units. I apologise, but the R3 arrow isn't going to happen.

Will this be available on Taobao directly from Maxkeys?

It will not! Sorry. I asked them to do this, and they said they were not able to do this ATM (for me, at least). I apologize.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 20:16:46 »

got some samples from OG calm depths. Going to use these to color match.

Offline suntorywhisky

• IG
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 06:48:51 »
Does this have 40% support?

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 11:45:58 »
Does this have 40% support?

Unfortunately, no. Sorry.

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (ASIAN PROXY :D)
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 21:16:05 »
We're getting an asian proxy! Yay! :D

Offline Zubame

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (ASIAN PROXY :D)
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 21:20:06 »
We're getting an asian proxy! Yay! :D

Which one? Taobao?

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (ASIA HAS A PROXY NOW :D)
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 22:39:15 »
Which one? Taobao?

Nah, https://monokei.us/.

He's currently running DSA run ATM.

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:12:55 »
Which one? Taobao?

Nah, https://monokei.us/.

He's currently running DSA run ATM.

Oh Beamingrobot will proxy.. That works at least the "Asian" proxy is not taobao which is really hard to use for non chinese speaking Asian (not all Asians can speak Chinese)

How does that work? Maxkey will ship it directly to Singapore and then he ships it out within Asia? Or does it have to go to you then back to him?

You will charge when the GB ends right?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:18:24 by punksinatra »

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:00:18 »
We're working on getting Maxkeys to ship directly to us from China to Singapore, and then onwards to the surrounding countries.

Or if I'm in KL at that point, I can drop it off for you ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline ye_cole

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (GB coming 9/9 or 9/10)
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 00:13:08 »
Added GB details! :)

thanks everybody.

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 00:27:15 »
We're working on getting Maxkeys to ship directly to us from China to Singapore, and then onwards to the surrounding countries.

If you need help shipping it locally you can drop it off to me or anyone you know here.. much easier to sort for local shipping.. you can holla at me if you want as well

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 05:13:10 »

If you need help shipping it locally you can drop it off to me or anyone you know here.. much easier to sort for local shipping.. you can holla at me if you want as well
I might be shipping some Malaysian orders from JB, but I'll let ya know if I do head up and we can work out something  :thumb:

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline avid

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 05:22:12 »
Orders is up at candykeys. What is happening with the price of maxkey? 140 Euro? That is equivalent to $170.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 05:46:56 by avid »

Offline gaiden

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:35:12 »
Mmm where is the group buy page? I went through the site and couldn't find it.. please post exact link.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:38:50 »

I might be shipping some Malaysian orders from JB, but I'll let ya know if I do head up and we can work out something  :thumb:

I can probably drive down to JB from KL if the date and time is right. Been being nagged by the wife to go back to the outlet store anyway.

But if you will be shipping the sets from JB should not cost more than SGD4 per set but of course you have to factor in your drive/commute crossing the border. Shipping it from JB would also mean next day delivery if you use poslaju
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:45:35 by punksinatra »

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 08:41:18 »

I can probably drive down to JB from KL if the date and time is right. Been being nagged by the wife to go back to the outlet store anyway.
Sounds good, we can PM more about this once we're closer to shipping dates, just drop me a message then and we can work it out  :thumb:

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 10:27:10 »
Orders is up at candykeys. What is happening with the price of maxkey? 140 Euro? That is equivalent to $170.

That price is a mistake! It isn't supposed to go up yet. Don't worry, it won't be 140 euros. It should be 109 euros with drop points of 10 dollars (est) for every 100 units ordered with a MOQ of 200.

Unfortunately, it's going to be a little more expensive at candykeys to compensate for vat (19%!), hence the higher price than what was promised, but it shouldn't be reaching 140 euros. 109 maximum. 120 USD on monokei.us, also with drop points every 100.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 September 2017, 10:35:23 by ye_cole »

Offline avid

Re: [IC] Maxkey SA Calm Depths (GB COMING 9.10.17 6PM PST)
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 10:36:00 »
It was on candykeys website, but now i cant find it.

Offline online

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:08:58 »
Will Maxkey version mixes nicely with the SA version modifier keys? (if that's happening)
May get the SA version mod extension to cover my minila.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:14:11 »
Will Maxkey version mixes nicely with the SA version modifier keys? (if that's happening)
May get the SA version mod extension to cover my minila.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. The row profile for this set is going to be 112343 if that helps.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 13:39:39 »
I have to be honest, 120 USD seems excessive given that it's not even being run on the site that automatically adds VAT.  Is there a particular reason you decided to use that vendor for US orders?  Other Maxkeys buys are around $80, a max of $100 if they have a set of novelties.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 15:38:22 »
It was on candykeys website, but now i cant find it.

https://www.candykeys.com/product/gb-sa-calm-depths-maxkey/

It looks like it's live now, even though the first post in this thread says it won't be up for a few more hours.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 15:54:54 »
I have to be honest, 120 USD seems excessive given that it's not even being run on the site that automatically adds VAT.  Is there a particular reason you decided to use that vendor for US orders?  Other Maxkeys buys are around $80, a max of $100 if they have a set of novelties.

You're right. I had a cost breakdown of the set that I posted on reddit earlier, I'll link it here.

Hey! Great question.
The reason the price is increased is because of 3 things:
Custom Molds
Duplicate Keys
Mold opening fees
As you can see, I have around 15-20 custom molds for them to make. Unfortunately, those really jack up the price. Also, they're charging for 7u spacebars and dupe 6u spacebars. They didn't do that when miami nights was being ordered. The tilde and esc keys also add around 1.75 dollars to the set.
Finally, they charge 6000 to start the custom mold making process. After this, you have to pay again to include the custom molds in the set. However, including the molds isn't that expensive, only around 7 dollars extra per set. The 6000 mold opening fee is, though, which is why I have so many drop points, as it is a constant fee that is being split over many orders.

TLDR: mold opening fees cost 6200 USD. this adds like 30 dollars to every set at a MOQ of 200. As you can see, I have drop points in order to compensate for this.

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 10 September 2017, 16:47:00 »

One quick Public Announcement. You do not pay VAT if you are not in the EU. You take orders via ye_cole and the prices are different.
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store