Author Topic: :~$ynth  (Read 312235 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: :~$ynth
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:35:49 »
< START.Update 11 >

Everything has been moving along rather stellar like with regard to HWS :~$ynth projects.  This video illustrates how the stem insert works and provides keen insight on how to prepare the stem insert for use.

Pics of the resulting part,

Show Image

Show Image

aaand a little animated bit,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCCET-AlWqL/

< ENT.Update 11 >

Cool!  Love the Binge/Wifu banter and the use of the ~$ynth.  So did you use your pressure pot?  Seems like maybe you vac'd out the bubbles before combining the two parts of thermoset?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:37:04 »
< START.Update 11 >

Everything has been moving along rather stellar like with regard to HWS :~$ynth projects.  This video illustrates how the stem insert works and provides keen insight on how to prepare the stem insert for use.

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Cool!  Love the Binge/Wifu banter and the use of the ~$ynth.  So did you use your pressure pot?  Seems like maybe you vac'd out the bubbles before combining the two parts of thermoset?
Yep.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:38:07 »
< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.
I'm back.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #353 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:52:28 »
So when using a normal silicone mould, you'd have both a bottom and top part, right? Does using the synth mean that there is no longer any need to cast a bottom of the keycap with silicone?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #354 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 14:54:28 »
< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.
You're welcome.  There's a whole lot to infer just from watching this much of the process but it's important to remember that I'm skipping a lot in favor of remaining true to the purpose of demonstration. There is a real need to showcase the engineering of this tool.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #355 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:02:53 »
< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.
You're welcome.  There's a whole lot to infer just from watching this much of the process but it's important to remember that I'm skipping a lot in favor of remaining true to the purpose of demonstration. There is a real need to showcase the engineering of this tool.

The :~Synth is PTFE/Teflon coated correct?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:04:47 »

< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.

I'm sorry if my short reply came across as snarky, didn't mean it like that.

I think the video is great at showing some of the process and use of the tool. I don't expect you to show measuring, coloring, vacuum, cure, demold, sprue trimming, etc. the synth would get lost in all of that.

Thanks for these videos.  As you know from my carbon fiber project I just love building stuff so this is right up my alley! :-)
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:16:04 »
< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.

It's supposed to be.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #358 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:24:22 »
I'm sorry if my short reply came across as snarky, didn't mean it like that.

I think the video is great at showing some of the process and use of the tool. I don't expect you to show measuring, coloring, vacuum, cure, demold, sprue trimming, etc. the synth would get lost in all of that.

Thanks for these videos.  As you know from my carbon fiber project I just love building stuff so this is right up my alley! :-)

Yeah I totally understand your interest and thought nothing of the sort, I just want to remain true to the intended purpose of the video.  I'm not crafty in designing instructionals/preparing/storyboarding so it's just all kind of thrown together, excess information, and all.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:27:15 »
< START.Update 11 >

Show Image

Show Image

< ENT.Update 11 >

Yep.

Thx.

It's supposed to be.

Supposed to be? It looks like it is but I just wanted to clarify.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:29:52 »

Yeah.  Like it's supposed to be PTFE/Teflon coated.  There's only so much I can say with certainty having not been there while it was manufactured.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:39:17 »

Yeah.  Like it's supposed to be PTFE/Teflon coated.  There's only so much I can say with certainty having not been there while it was manufactured.

I get what you're saying. Looking forward to getting my hands on this!

Really loving seeing the process for your cap making and the use of this on the Hunger cap!

Offline Fyodor

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 16:35:03 »
Thank you for your inspiring work!!  :D

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:04:58 »
< START.Update 12 >

Cast the lower jaw in a delicious bone white.

< END.Update 12 >

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:16:39 »
seriously one of the most amazing/exciting threads so far. <3

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline Fyodor

« Reply #365 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:21:25 »
Is there any way to clean the syringes so you can reuse them after? Or the resin forces you to throw them after every use?

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:26:50 »
Is there any way to clean the syringes so you can reuse them after? Or the resin forces you to throw them after every use?

You can clean them with solvents but really you want to avoid any type of chemical contaminants so syringes are one-use only.

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #367 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 08:45:29 »
< START.Update 12 >

Show Image

< END.Update 12 >

I'm just imagining the possibilities of using this process to do multi-shots on each individual part...

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 09:22:03 »
< START.Update 12 >

Show Image

< END.Update 12 >

Looks just like the sticker as of now! This is gonna be awesome! :thumb:

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:37:43 »
< START.Update 13 >

I feel like I skipped a great update with the skull/upper-jaw, but it's too late to go back now...

On Wednesday-Thursday I successfully cast the final piece of the skeletal system for Hungrkey, and we were able to use Monster Clay (a polymer and wax based material) as the next layer of sculpted detail.  I lovingly call this layer the skin.

I'm very excited to be nearly done with this project.  The hours alone have made it more complicated than any other casting project to date for Bingecap/Hunger Work Studio.  As the artist it's really only important that the final piece is up to some standard of excellence.  Please bear with us a little longer as we turn this skin into a final mold and near the completion of this project.  We are honored to bring these updates to you and showcase what we believe to be the very pinnacle of capability for :~$ynth.  Hopefully that last bit will be proven a temporary truth as many more creative people acquire this wonderful tool.

< END.Update 13 >

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:40:47 »
< START.Update 13 >

I feel like I skipped a great update with the skull/upper-jaw, but it's too late to go back now...

On Wednesday-Thursday I successfully cast the final piece of the skeletal system for Hungrkey, and we were able to use Monster Clay (a polymer and wax based material) as the next layer of sculpted detail.  I lovingly call this layer the skin.

I'm very excited to be nearly done with this project.  The hours alone have made it more complicated than any other casting project to date for Bingecap/Hunger Work Studio.  As the artist it's really only important that the final piece is up to some standard of excellence.  Please bear with us a little longer as we turn this skin into a final mold and near the completion of this project.  We are honored to bring these updates to you and showcase what we believe to be the very pinnacle of capability for :~$ynth.  Hopefully that last bit will be proven a temporary truth as many more creative people acquire this wonderful tool.

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

Damn that looks good, loving all of the updates and keep up the good work  :thumb:
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:57:42 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

That second pic reminds me of the dude singing in the redone version of Return of the Jedi!  I love the "throat shot"!
I'm back.

Offline Oxid

• resin rash and glitter
« Reply #372 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:25:26 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

I don't think its possible for me to praise this anymore. I've run out of words. I will say its been absolutely fascinating watch it come to fruiting on slack.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #373 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 11:28:28 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

wow

just wow

Offline dohbot

« Reply #374 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:43:04 »
Oh my goodness that cap is really pretty!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #375 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:11:42 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

That second pic reminds me of the dude singing in the redone version of Return of the Jedi!  I love the "throat shot"!

I thought of the album cover for the fantastic King Crimson album 'In the Court of the Crimson King'

Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline crbr

« Reply #376 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 15:34:38 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

I am really excited for the $ynth and the new cap.  That tongue looks so good.

« Reply #377 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 15:44:53 »
Amazing

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #378 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:15:38 »
I want to hangout in binge dungeon...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #379 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:40:10 »
Join us on Slack! You may get some good insight on his work, and see some other fun stuff too.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #380 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:55:08 »
< START.Update 13 >

Show Image

Show Image

< END.Update 13 >

I thought of the album cover for the fantastic King Crimson album 'In the Court of the Crimson King'

Show Image

King Crimson mention. Morning has been made.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 16:58:58 »
Join us on Slack! You may get some good insight on his work, and see some other fun stuff too.

What's the Slack channel?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 22:22:33 »

What's the Slack channel?

Slack thread

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:23:01 »
< START.Update 14>

Project complete.  I present to you the first HWS Keycap - Hungrkey

Made a test-shot to test integrity of mold for final casting.  Below is a picture of the test shot next to the skeletal parts to Hungrkey on the :~$ynth ready for final casting.

After casting with some optically clear resin the final Hungrkey features really comes together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCaXBYkFWkp/

It's been an absolute pleasure to complete this project after such a long term of planning and the with overwhelming support of my affiliate artists/makers/vendors.

< END.Update 14 >
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2016, 10:27:18 by Binge »

Offline dohbot

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:24:25 »
Wow this cap is sick!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:25:57 »
Wow this cap is sick!

+1

The ~$ynth is really going to change up the artisan caps. I can't wait.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #386 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:29:08 »
Saw the videos on Instagram. This cap is stunning!
Please feed my addiction.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:10:26 »
< START.Update 14>

Made a test-shot to test integrity of mold for final casting.  Below is a picture of the test shot next to the skeletal parts to Hungrkey on the :~$ynth ready for final casting.

Show Image

After casting with some optically clear resin the final Hungrkey features really comes together.

It's been an absolute pleasure to complete this project after such a long term of planning and the with overwhelming support of my affiliate artists/makers/vendors.

< END.Update 14 >

Absolutely badass cap! I really love it!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:15:06 »
< START.Update 14>

Show Image

< END.Update 14 >

I am more excited / want this more than clackvent.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:15:22 »
< START.Update 14>

Show Image

< END.Update 14 >

Love the blue one :D

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:42:57 »
I need more updates!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:45:04 »
I need more updates!

I think that may the end of updates for a while. His last one said "project complete."

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:46:42 »
I need more updates!

I think that may the end of updates for a while. His last one said "project complete."

Well dammit! I want one of dem caps.

You best believe Ill throw down some clacks for one of dem caps.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 08:17:19 »
truly humbling and inspiring to watch a master at work. Excited for the future!

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #394 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:35:30 »
:hungr: but real this cap is dope. Fantastic work binge. Truly
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 14:55:04 »
These are insanely good. 
I would be scared of having them on my board, but amazing none the less.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:13:36 »
That clear Skullthulu looks awesome!

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #397 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 05:32:09 »
Not only do I want that cap but I want the kit. Looks like a new expensive hobby is about to start!

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:30:39 »
Pre Production Vs. Production

Pre Production model had a dark anodized teflon coating.  For Production we opted for clear to show off the beautiful machining.  These cellphone shots do not do it justice.

Left -PreProd Right -Production

The 'resin reservoir' from PreProd was not kept in the final revision.  It simply does not work as well as it would in a flexible mold.

Stem inserts are far superior to the PreProd models and should provide better fitment results.

No dimple!

When comparing the two the Production model has much tighter tolerances.  There is far less wobble.

I will be doing two test casts tonight with the production model for testing using molds made with the pre-production synth.  Nothing about the preproduction synth should make a difference in how this works with my existing flexible molds as the dimensions of the key platform are exactly the same.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:32:51 »
Pre Production Vs. Production

Pre Production model had a dark anodized teflon coating.  For Production we opted for clear to show off the beautiful machining.  These cellphone shots do not do it justice.

Show Image

Left -PreProd Right -Production

Show Image

The 'resin reservoir' from PreProd was not kept in the final revision.  It simply does not work as well as it would in a flexible mold.

Show Image

Stem inserts are far superior to the PreProd models and should provide better fitment results.

Show Image

No dimple!

Show Image

When comparing the two the Production model has much tighter tolerances.  There is far less wobble.

I will be doing two test casts tonight with the production model for testing using molds made with the pre-production synth.  Nothing about the preproduction synth should make a difference in how this works with my existing flexible molds as the dimensions of the key platform are exactly the same.

I am so excited for this.

are you doing all of this from a local machinist?