Author Topic: Model M identification  (Read 3860 times)

Offline sakai4eva

Model M identification
« on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 03:26:16 »
I've scoured the web, and the only real answer seems to indicate that this keyboard:

is some sort of 84-key variant of a Model M. The pictures from the seller seem to indicate a 102 (101?) key variant instead.

Is the the real thing, or is it just fantasy?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Model M identification
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:51:53 »
Ask the seller for more pictures then.  If the picture and the label don't match, no one can say whether the label or the picture is correct.

Offline ClarusWorks

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 13:09:09 »
Agreed. 1395100 is the part number for an 84 key model M, but your seller could have gotten some pictures confused or something.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 20:30:21 »
Ask the seller for more pictures then.  If the picture and the label don't match, no one can say whether the label or the picture is correct.
Chinese seller in taobao. I'm not sure google translate can cut through this one...
Agreed. 1395100 is the part number for an 84 key model M, but your seller could have gotten some pictures confused or something.
Thanks.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 05:42:47 »
I know this thread's from 2014; I just thought I'd add this info in case anyone searches GH for this part number.

IBM (in 1991) and Lexmark (in 1992) used this p/n for SSKs. Also in 1992, Lexmark oddly used the same p/n for the standard 101-key Model M's they made for court reporting systems made by an OEM called Reply:

140818-0

One of these recently sold on eBay, hence the photos. Interestingly, the OEM logo appears in a square in the upper right corner—the same size, shape and location where the silver IBM logo appears on 1st-generation IBM Model Ms... Were any other later M's like this?

This also begs the question: How on earth could court reporters use buckling spring keyboards without distracting the heck out of everyone present? (I'm guessing the OEM wasn't around long, for that reason...?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 June 2016, 05:45:46 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 08:11:27 »

This also begs the question: How on earth could court reporters use buckling spring keyboards without distracting the heck out of everyone present?

My guess is that the actual court reporters probably used chording keyboards and that this was for transcribing tapes in the office after the fact.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 20:27:44 »

This also begs the question: How on earth could court reporters use buckling spring keyboards without distracting the heck out of everyone present? (I'm guessing the OEM wasn't around long, for that reason...?)

after a few seconds its really not noticeable.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 03:19:25 »
This also begs the question: How on earth could court reporters use buckling spring keyboards without distracting the heck out of everyone...?

after a few seconds its really not noticeable.

I'll have to tell my wife that, the next time she says she can't think with me clattering away in here.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 09:48:27 »
yeah, court reporters may take shorthand in court then do the full write up - or if court scribes, as above.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 02:53:34 »
They often use silent transcription machines called stenotypes or stenographs:

...which enable them to record speech in real time by pressing multiple keys at once ("chording"). Here's a short video about it.

I can't help wondering why, if speed's so important, they still make these with such a long, typewriter-like key travel.

And of course people like us, who value the sounds of mechanical boards, probably wouldn't enjoy them.  :?)

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 08:59:08 »
sticker in first photo looks fake, like there was a sticker there that's been removed, and now has a smaller sticker
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 09:54:36 »
For all of IBM's attention to detail and quality control, I have seen lots of ugly and poorly-placed stickers on Model Ms.

Off-topic, because I can never find the M birthday thread, I have a loose April Model M sticker that I would sell/trade to someone who needed it. Please tell me the exact date that you want and why. And I probably have a spare case back that it could be installed on to look more proper.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 11:56:55 »
April 11 1988 because it's my birthday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 14:07:26 »
sticker in first photo looks fake, like there was a sticker there that's been removed, and now has a smaller sticker

IBM is known for being sloppy with the stickers, I think it's just off center.

I've never heard of a "fake" Model M though there were a lot of copy-cats and look-a-likes that tried to replicate the design.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 00:29:50 »
Natalie Portman.