Author Topic: Not-So-Great Finds  (Read 300092 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Not-So-Great Finds
« on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 03:27:25 »
IBM Beamspring, dragged behind car for only a couple of minutes but otherwise in terrific shape, only $502.50 plus shipping!!

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: Not-So-Great Finds
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 04:04:58 »
Great find!!!!!!! AND GOOD VALUE

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:29:49 »
I like how it was originally listed for $750. I bet there is rust hiding inside. Perhaps we could start tagging not so great finds like with a [NSG] prefix?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:54:34 »
Missed your chance at a great deal! - it's back up to $750 now. And look closely a the the pic - in between the keys. Looks like there's a surprise inside!
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 17:58:02 by OldIsNew »

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 14:29:58 »
$399 now  :))

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 22:41:43 »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if this authentic it could be one of a kind. Stick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222603998046

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 02:14:17 »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if this authentic it could be one of a kind. Stick:

Well now I'm curious!  I sent the seller a message to inquire whether it was a photo of the actual stick that would be sent vs simply a representative example of a stick we might get in similar condition....

"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:29:41 »
I like how it was originally listed for $750. I bet there is rust hiding inside. Perhaps we could start tagging not so great finds like with a [NSG] prefix?

Questionable finds are posted here so regularly, it prompted me to suggest a separate topic for them a while ago. (After all, posting about them here in Great Finds also requires one to be sarcastic, when the goofiness of the Find itself should be sufficient.) But though the idea met with general enthusiasm, the admins remained silent, until I finally wrung what entertainment I could out of the idea and gave up.

However, this thread, within Great Finds could be made sticky, and we could post all the NSGFs to it in one endless stream. That'd be okay with me. For now I'll leave it in the hands of you, my fellow NSGF enthusiasts, and see if it picks up any steam, stickiness-wise.

LOL! It's used, though. Presumably, all sticks are used, having been used by the tree. What would an unused stick look like? One grown in a lab maybe? A stick lab?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:43:42 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:14:38 »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"Excellent condition. Great gift with endless possibilities. Cruelty-free, was not forcibly removed from donor tree." I wonder if it 100% organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, and fair trade certified.

That is hilarious. eBay even has poo on a stick.

Also I see this NSGF is now up to $500. There almost needs to be a chart to watch these price fluctuations. It's like the bitcoin of keyboards.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 10:19:40 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 22:34:04 »
This sold for $299.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:38:08 »
That is about right, this beamspring is unique with the IBM badge and the top compartment. never seen one like this actually.

Needs it paint stripped and a good powder coat

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 18:18:11 »
Interestingly, the same seller has just listed another just like it—but this time he's painted it first. Could it be the same board? Or maybe he had more than one in similar condition? And is it anyone here?

Offline SneakyRobb

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 21:47:23 »
Interestingly, the same seller has just listed another just like it—but this time he's painted it first. Could it be the same board? Or maybe he had more than one in similar condition? And is it anyone here?

Very strange. It could be the same. Regardless  I would prefer them to not repaint it. The colour is off. It would have been better to sell as is. I'd rather bare metal than an imitation which they say could easily scratch or chip

With that much rust I would be somewhat concerned about the interior condition of this board.  Seller says it works, but even dust can affect these. That much rust without the shield on is pretty sad. They went to the trouble to remove the keycaps and clean them but not the rust? Also painting the case though? Why not a quick rinse of the upper metal frame and sealing? Very odd.

I don't think it's malicious, but this is odd. It's clearly a real BS, but why did they do this to it...?  I'd personally wait for the next beamspring to come up.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 16:32:15 »
Now here's a rare find: Someone took one of Unicomp's surplus blue-logo industrial cases (which were never, to my knowledge, used for any actual Model M's), filled it with parts from another M, stuck the other M's plate label on the back of the case (which would've been blank), and is offering it on eBay as a "refurbished, modified" M for a BIN of "only" $289 shipped:

"Refurbished & Modified IBM Model M Keyboard w/1 year warranty"

To be fair, they did do a very nice job refinishing the plate:

...though that seems like a lot of work for nothing, as it normally wouldn't be visible. And they're included a Soarer's cable, since most people have portables without PS/2 connections these days.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 21:55:15 »
Now here's a rare find: Someone took one of Unicomp's surplus blue-logo industrial cases (which were never, to my knowledge, used for any actual Model M's), filled it with parts from another M, stuck the other M's plate label on the back of the case (which would've been blank), and is offering it on eBay as a "refurbished, modified" M for a BIN of "only" $289 shipped:

"Refurbished & Modified IBM Model M Keyboard w/1 year warranty"

Show Image

Show Image

To be fair, they did do a very nice job refinishing the plate:

Show Image

...though that seems like a lot of work for nothing, as it normally wouldn't be visible. And they're included a Soarer's cable, since most people have portables without PS/2 connections these days.

AND they replaced the green LEDs with blue - don't forget that!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 17:29:24 »

As well as cleaning and bolt-modding it, along with a new membrane and a warranty.  I think it looks rather nice as well.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:42:06 »

As well as cleaning and bolt-modding it, along with a new membrane and a warranty.  I think it looks rather nice as well.

Yes, it looks great. Except that it's not a real Industrial Model M, but a kind of simulation of one.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:49:27 »
Wow!! Check this out:

IBM 1391240 RARE VINTAGE CLICKY MODEL M KEYBOARD WITH PS/2 CABLE WITH WARRANTY

As you know, the elusive Model M p/n 1391240 not only has an Esc key that says "ESC Reset", but also has a tiny letter T on its logo badge:

176379-0

...two remarkable distinctions that undoubtedly make it worth its BIN price of $275 + shipping!  :?)

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 00:29:33 »
Yes, it looks great. Except that it's not a real Industrial Model M, but a kind of simulation of one.

It's not trying to be a "real" Industrial Model M.  Certainly not at that price and with the original label on the back.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 August 2017, 00:39:34 by just_add_coffee »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 07:58:05 »

It's not trying to be a "real" Industrial Model M.  Certainly not at that price and with the original label on the back.

But... but... [sounds of flusterment]

"Real" Industrials—that is, those that don't look like Industrials that have never existed—go for considerably less than this, not more.

And as I pointed out, the "original" label on the back of this was no label—not a plate label, which would never be seen on the back of any M, ever.

But wait a minute, look more closely at the photos... The seller didn't just put a plate label on the back of the case; they also put a case label (from, I'm guessing, the non-Industrial M the inner parts came from) on the plate. Too weird! Er, I mean, just another thing that makes this such an incredible value [ahem] !

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 August 2017, 08:02:32 »
IBM Model M Clicky PS/2 Keyboard Lexmark captured CABLE WORKING 23DEC93

Don't you hate it when your Model M cables run away, never to be seen again? You won't worry about that with this M—its cable has been captured! Buh ha ha!!

They just mean it's non-removable, of course. I've seen several sellers use this colorful term.

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 09:02:26 »
So it appears that the industrial M knockoff with the blue paint job recently sold  :))

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 12:54:50 »
So it appears that the industrial M knockoff with the blue paint job recently sold  :))

I'm the seller.  And it wasn't trying to be an "Industrial M knockoff."  It's pretty common knowledge these cases are available from Unicomp.  The badge is different and in a different position.  And the model number differs.  It was simply intended to be a beautiful (to me) keyboard with the best damned keyboard switches ever made.  My intention was to create and sell a buckling spring board that didn't look like everyone else's buckling spring board.

Taking old boards, especially IBMs, and restoring them and modifying them is something I enjoy immensely.  My avatar here is a Displaywriter that I customized.  Here's what I did with an F107 and M49 that I purchased from Orihalcon:

Here's another M, though it's not quite ready for primetime:

And speaking of not ready for primetime...

... an F122, with glow-in-the-dark vinyl-wrapping (with wrinkles hiding the world's crappiest wiring), LEDs, and a solenoid.

... a Longhorn-edition of the Model F AT (the elegant yet elusive Model F UT!)  :))

I want to address one other point regarding the Model M: The base plate.

If you've ever refurbished one of these and removed some rust from the plate, you're left with something that looks like this:

(from someone else's Model M refurbishment)

The newly-exposed metal from grinding has started to oxidize almost immediately (this is why we use flux when we solder!), and it's only a matter of time and relative humidity before this base plate is rusting again.  And, IMHO, it doesn't look very good.

My priming, paint, and polishing job on the barrel plate inhibits the rust from coming back.  Of course no one sees it!  That's not the point.  It's a preventative measure against rust, and indicative of the attention to detail that went into refurbishing the keyboard. 

In every way that I know of, this keyboard is better than the original, and I stand behind it.

Offline JP

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 15:24:50 »
I think many of us here can appreciate custom work and experimentation, especially with Model M's as they are so plentiful and somewhat boring when you have seen tons of vanilla M's. The blue back plate is a nice touch for sure. Also thanks for sharing pictures of your other projects. I know for a fact that I have put many hours into some of my boards in restoring them while knowing full well that I will never recuperate what I have put into them. I am sure you have as well. It was surprising to me to see it sell with a high starting price, but that is simply my opinion and also likely why this happened to make it into the 'Not So Great Finds' thread rather than as a 'Great Deal'. Sometimes custom touches do not always translate into added value. Oftentimes it is not known why an artist makes a certain decision, such as in your case where you had switched the label's. When I seen this it triggered my ocd, but of course this is something which could easily be changed if desired. I had assumed it was a lack of attention to detail, of course the other details say otherwise.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 August 2017, 15:27:35 by JP »

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 16:16:32 »
...such as in your case where you had switched the label's.

The answer is simple: I'm an idiot.  Good heart.  But not always the sharpest water under the bridge.  :(

And regarding the price, here's a cursory breakdown:
  • The keyboard itself was $65
  • The Soarer's Converter cable was $47.43
  • The case from Unicomp was $30.00 + s/h
  • The membrane assembly was $10.00 +s/h

That's already $152.43, not including the shipping and handling to get the supplies, PayPal and Ebay fees, as well as items that I used some of such as paint, sandpaper, screws, and LEDs.  And not including the fact that I had to have bought a Dremel and a soldering iron at some point and had to learn to do this stuff in the first place.  And the cost of my time.  And the fact that, if something goes wrong in a year, I'm going to make it right.

$279 is a very fair price considering all of this.  Heck, the first mechanical keyboard that I purchased was a custom board from a maker on Reddit, and it cost more than that. And no regrets ... It's a damned nice keyboard ... whose only fault is inferior CherryMX switches instead of buckling spring ... but still ...  :D

And I'm still waiting for my ErgoDox Infinity on MassDrop that's about the same price, and I'll still need to put it together when it comes in!

There are plenty of things to ***** about on Ebay and regarding the mechanical keyboard industry in general; but my beautiful badass keyboard ain't one of 'em.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:10:45 »
Heh, thanks GH admins for making this sticky! Hope we can have some fun with it, and that it'll be a convenient way to keep our "not so great" observations from cluttering the rest of the topic.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:12:19 »
I'm the seller.  And it wasn't trying to be an "Industrial M knockoff."  It's pretty common knowledge these cases are available from Unicomp.  The badge is different and in a different position.  And the model number differs.  It was simply intended to be a beautiful (to me) keyboard with the best damned keyboard switches ever made...

That's fair enough, dude. We just see peeps now and then (usually not anyone here) trying to pass off pieced-together boards as originals, so we like to draw each other's attention to them to discuss them, more as a protective habit than anything else... And I guess in the process we've gotten into the habit of having a bit of fun with them as well.

Fact is, no Industrial ever had a blue logo (far as I know). So if there's any question, it never hurts to include a blurb to the effect of "BTW, this is not an original IBM variant... I have combined an existing Model M's mechanism with a new Industrial case from Unicomp", etc. That way it's clear you're not trying to pull anything over on anybody—or that anyone will buy it thinking they're getting something with particular value to people who collect vintage boards.

No one could deny you did a first-class job modding this board, though—that took real time and talent. (What I actually meant about your plate refinish was that it was too bad it wouldn't be visible, because it looks so cool.)

Anyway, thanks for wading in and giving us the rest of the details.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 August 2017, 06:15:19 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 05:09:11 »
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Clicky Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Chroma, New

Buy It Now—just $413.56 !! Free shipping!

(Or get one at Best Buy for, like, $140...?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 21:46:57 »
Razer BlackWidow Chroma Clicky Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Chroma, New

Show Image

Buy It Now—just $413.56 !! Free shipping!

(Or get one at Best Buy for, like, $140...?)

What's more ironic (or moronic) is the seller's name: SuperDealExpress
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 02:57:51 »
IBM Keyboard Model M 1390131 Square Logo Original IBM Black Cord

Starting price: $290.00 (0 bids)

BIN: $490.00

"...This keyboard is in great condition, with minor glue residue on the bottom, which can be rubbed off.  I chose to not touch the keyboard to preserve it for a proper restoration.  It will most likely need the bolt mod, the left shift key is not registering."

Erm, should I tell them they're dreaming, or would one of you like to? (If '131s are worth that much now, my wife will be delighted!)

Offline JP

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 20:39:10 »

Offline JP

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 September 2017, 21:42:44 »
So many things wrong with this. Might be a fun novelty or could make for a holiday gift.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Movie-Film-Prop-VINTAGE-Psychedelic-PS2-Keyboard-HP-KB-0228-Rainbow-Peace-/152707122796?hash=item238e0dc66c:g:sG0AAOSwd0BVrwyR

(Attachment Link)

Meh jut stickers on a rubber dome - wouldn't trust it to last very long.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 02:59:54 »
So many things wrong with this...

Or maybe it's a normal keyboard, and somebody put something in your coffee.  :?)

I just spotted this, er, remarkable deal:

IBM Model M 1390131 Clicky Keyboard

BIN: AU $850.00 (apx. US $680.30)

Okay, it's got the box, the cable, the instructions... It's a time capsule, and it's a terrific keyboard. But nearly $700??

At first I thought, "Yeah, dude, it's in Australia, everything's real expensive down there." But it also says:

> Will post worldwide at cost.

Is there any reason why anyone not in Australia would pay that much? Maybe 30 years from now, but...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 18:38:04 »
You read it right—you can own this genuine black Unicomp Ultra Classic for just $1000 (plus $7 shipping)!

It's listed as "Used", but the description says "New". (Don't you love it when sellers do that?) As you can see, the spacebar's considerably yellowed—which is odd, since Unicomp's PBT keys don't normally yellow. Maybe someone was using it to stir soup, so there may even be some bits of vegetables inside it at no extra cost.

The seller's accepting offers, so you may even be able to grab it for $900-something.  :?)

(This concludes this sarcastically enthusiastic post, successfully kept out of the general Great Finds category.)

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 21:20:24 »
Won't someone give this little pin a home? It breaks my heart how it keeps popping up on ebay when I'm looking at keyboards.  It just looks sad. I've already adopted too many orphan pins and can't take in another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980s-Computer-Keyboard-Enamel-Vest-Hat-Tie-Tack-Play-With-Me-Pin-/253144717723?hash=item3af099d99b:g:WC0AAOSwYlRZFeJO

178582-0

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 21:24:39 by OldIsNew »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 21:44:24 »
I just spotted this, er, remarkable deal:

IBM Model M 1390131 Clicky Keyboard

Show Image

BIN: AU $850.00 (apx. US $680.30)

Okay, it's got the box, the cable, the instructions... It's a time capsule, and it's a terrific keyboard. But nearly $700??

At first I thought, "Yeah, dude, it's in Australia, everything's real expensive down there." But it also says:

> Will post worldwide at cost.

Is there any reason why anyone not in Australia would pay that much? Maybe 30 years from now, but...

Is there any reason why anyone in Australia would pay this much for a keyboard?  I wouldn't.

Model M keyboards are not common down here, but they do appear.  NIB ones are even rarer, but not AU$850 rare.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:12:03 »
Won't someone give this little pin a home? It breaks my heart how it keeps popping up on ebay...

But at just $5.99 shipped, many people would consider it a Great Find, wouldn't they? I think you should get it—it's just six bucks, right? Aw, six bucks... Go ahead.

Is there any reason why anyone in Australia would pay this much for a keyboard? ...

Hope not. If it were one of these, sure. Otherwise, I'd tell the bloke to hit the frog 'n' toad.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 13:31:21 »

Offline JP

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 13:54:47 »
What's going on with this? It looks like some kinds of foam rubber store display prop or something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Model-M-1395660-122-Key-Mechanical-Terminal-Keyboard-Clicky-1985-/202063626905?epid=2238526690&hash=item2f0bee4299:g:OjkAAOSwgYVZxyRN

Haha, I thought about posting that one. It looks like it has seen combat. Maybe this is a similar idea to distressed jeans that look worn and have holes to make them look chic.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 September 2017, 13:57:20 by JP »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 21:30:57 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 03:17:48 »
Quote from: Seller's description:
Used and worn. Perfectly functional. Painted black with vinyl dye. Aftermarket blank black keycaps. Includes USB adapter.

Guffaw—super-weird! A Goth version of the M-122, fer sure.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:24:47 »
Now here's an interesting find—a Model M 1391401 that's so dirty, it looks like it could have some unusual bottom-row sub-legends:

180441-0

Imagine fooling your friends—keeping your board covered, then revealing it just long enough to create the sub-legend illusion. "What, a Model M with bottom-row sub-legends?" they'll say. "Ooh, that's rare, isn't it?" "Yes," you reply, "and of course that's why I must keep it concealed from view most of the time."

The sellers were even kind enough to photograph it on a dirty floor, for thematic purposes.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 10:43:37 »
Now here's an interesting find—a Model M 1391401 that's so dirty, it looks like it could have some unusual bottom-row sub-legends:

(Attachment Link)

Imagine fooling your friends—keeping your board covered, then revealing it just long enough to create the sub-legend illusion. "What, a Model M with bottom-row sub-legends?" they'll say. "Ooh, that's rare, isn't it?" "Yes," you reply, "and of course that's why I must keep it concealed from view most of the time."

The sellers were even kind enough to photograph it on a dirty floor, for thematic purposes.

OOOHHHH!!  I've got this model!!

Sadly, each of my Ms that are in use look exactly like that one, including the one I'm typing on right now.   :-[  Especially when I know how to clean them.

But they started out much, much dirtier, and the only areas that aren't clean now are the lesser used keys.  So just looking at this keyboard, I generally hit keys towards the bottom of the keycap and don't use F1, Caps Lock, or Delete very often.  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:24:28 »
It's understandable in your case though, Samir, since you're working on rare cars much of the time... The KB grime could even be considered a status symbol.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 23:51:52 »
It's understandable in your case though, Samir, since you're working on rare cars much of the time... The KB grime could even be considered a status symbol.
My cars are in the same shape as my Ms!  :eek:

I can't wait for me to have time for ME again in my life--I want to set up all my KBs for use, photograph them well (for one of the keyboard books of course), and do the same for the cars, and vintage computers.  :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 15:51:14 »

Of course this is why Industrial M's were made:

Oh, sorry, wrong photo...

It makes sense that keebs designed to accommodate grime should be worth much more than keebs that weren't—as long as the grime was included. But people restore these and remove the grime. What's the point of that? The grime's the whole purpose of the board, isn't it?

I can't wait for me to have time for ME again in my life--I want to set up all my KBs for use, photograph them well (for one of the keyboard books of course), and do the same for the cars, and vintage computers.  :thumb:

There must be a way to tie all that together in one groundbreaking coffee-table book. I'll have another coffee and think about it. I may even have another table.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 15:52:49 by ander »

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 17:21:41 »

Of course this is why Industrial M's were made:

(Attachment Link)

Oh, sorry, wrong photo...

Show Image

It makes sense that keebs designed to accommodate grime should be worth much more than keebs that weren't—as long as the grime was included. But people restore these and remove the grime. What's the point of that? The grime's the whole purpose of the board, isn't it?

There must be a way to tie all that together in one groundbreaking coffee-table book. I'll have another coffee and think about it. I may even have another table.
Ah yes, the illusive M industrial.  It would be interesting to get our hands on the engineering data behind them that shows each subtle difference between the industrial model and the regular M.

That would be a really thick book!  I've heard those tables are high in fiber, so don't overdo it.  ;) :D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 17:33:00 »