Author Topic: Oh lord, this is going to take forever. Modding typewriter caps!  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Oh lord, this is going to take forever. Modding typewriter caps!
« on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:23:59 »
So I made a thread about these caps awhile ago. I have decided to mod them to work. Yeah, mainly because I have a lot of free time.. and I'm poor and can't buy keyboard stuff for the time being hah! So, here's what I've got going on. I realize this isn't going to be easy. I also realize some of the legends don't line up but they're the right profile to the others around them so the legend being incorrect doesn't bother me. I'm 90% sure these are turbo thick double shot abs. I'll throw a picture of that later. I guess this will become a progress thread within the next couple days. There's a picture of some "extra" caps if anyone has a suggestion on where to use those... Or! If you want those (for free) pm me.  :thumb:

Don't hate on my desk my kiddos are putting their random stickers on it... I also can't fit my legit ass desk in this small ass place we're living in...  so it's living at my dad's house lols
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 16:41:25 by Awful »
I hate everything.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Oh lord, this is going to take forever. Modding typewriter caps!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:30:45 »
3D print some inserts, then mold and cast them.  That should expedite things.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:32:49 »
3D print some inserts, then mold and cast them.  That should expedite things.

Not even being a tool, how would I go about doing that? Is there somewhere online I could get these 3d printed?

I hate everything.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:40:19 »
TinkerCAD and Shapeways.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 14:51:37 »
Hm, I may try that. Although being poor was a reason behind my plan to brute force mod them ha... Probably a bad idea that will lead to me throwing them in the yard and yelling profanity..
I hate everything.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 17:25:17 »
With your Dremel (if you don't have a Dremel, then forget any modding, seriously) you may be able to ream out the insides of your heavy caps and epoxy in stems that are compatible with the receiving keyboard.

The problem will be getting them consistent and aligned.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 18:23:59 »
Didn’t you already have a thread about this? Anyway, those tee Alps switches from the early 80s are nicer than any MX switches; I still think you should try to convert the whole typewriter keyboard with a Teensy. The typewriter is Panasonic, or maybe Sharp? The keycaps are indeed great.

Edit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67718
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 18:27:18 by jacobolus »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 20:09:12 »
Didn’t you already have a thread about this? Anyway, those tee Alps switches from the early 80s are nicer than any MX switches; I still think you should try to convert the whole typewriter keyboard with a Teensy. The typewriter is Panasonic, or maybe Sharp? The keycaps are indeed great.

Edit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67718
Yeah, Tee alps are definitely solid switches, on the heavy side though. I have an M0110 with them and it feels pretty solid.

And RIP your jeans
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 20:35:18 »
Yeah, Tee alps are definitely solid switches, on the heavy side though. I have an M0110 with them and it feels pretty solid.
I think there are a few different spring weights of tee Alps switches, though I’ve never seen any kind of complete summary. Not too hard to do a spring swap on them though, either way.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:33:17 »
With your Dremel (if you don't have a Dremel, then forget any modding, seriously) you may be able to ream out the insides of your heavy caps and epoxy in stems that are compatible with the receiving keyboard.

The problem will be getting them consistent and aligned.

I may try that. I've been thinking about that with a random key that I'm not using to see how it comes out.

BTW,
I don't have the board at all. I shanked the caps before it was trashed. I didn't know/think about taking the rest and tbh converting that is probably beyond my realm of know-how.
I hate everything.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:33:09 »
You'll have to grind out the crossbar supports (so they don't hit the MX switch case when the key is pressed) and then use tape or paper to make the holes tight enough for the MX stems, but it's doable.

Pleas post your progress... :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.