geekhack Marketplace > Bingecap Archive

FAQ and Question Corner

(1/11) > >>

Binge:
Purpose of this thread is to host a FAQ :)

Ask questions and get answers while simultaneously building the FAQ.

Post 1 will be updated frequently as better/MOAR questions and answers are added.

Q. How do you decide what awesome art goes on each package?

A. Each piece of art is a small labor of love.  I am usually in the middle of listening to some music w/markers in hand and I'll have the mound of blank packages next to me.  The music really helps inspire a piece.  I'll get a very clear image of something in my head, and I'll try to render it.  I don't have any problems making a bunch of them because it's easy to just keep rendering pictures if I don't get too focused on a theme.  Limiting myself from drawing certain things would probably make it much less enjoyable.

Q. do you announce your sales or does it just go on sale randomly?

A.  On my website https://Bingecap.com there is a newsletter.  If anyone signs up for the newsletter they must remember to look for a confirmation e-mail in their inbox or spam folder!  Before each sale I release a date+time notice, and I also hint about keycap colors.  If there happens to be a random sale posted on GH or reddit uannounced then that is fine as well, but my track record shows that most of my sales are announced.

Q. I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

A. Most big name casting supplies will be fine for starting out.  Go with what you can most easily afford.  I make note of tons of preferences I have for materials in my OG thread, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284.0. I wouldn't start to experiment with expensive materials until you've at least got machinery to prevent defects.  It's a shame to waste high $$$ materials without the right tools.  While I have experience with using casting tools I am by no means an expert so I will not be posting any DIY guides on how to rig a setup.  mkawa, geekhack admin, has been more than kind enough to share his expertise with tools, and I would suggest if you have a serious interest to reach out to him.  Be prepared to spend $500-$1500 on the low end for a safe setup.

Q. When will you have more hoots?

A. The Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design. Hoot is still no longer being made.

Q. Do you plan on [_________________]?

A.  The most I can afford to plan ahead and share publicly is 48 hours.  If you ask me this I'll let you know about my plans within 48 hours.  Most of the time the answer will be no.  My family life comes first caps come 10th or 12th.

Q. How do you...?
  1. Cast multiple colors
  2. Get this color
  3. Use effect powders
  4. Operate this equipment

A. Here goes!
  1. I'd love to tell you about it if we ever meet in person.
  2. See.. now you're getting too personal.  I use polymeric colorants which bond to the polyol in the resin's chemical makeup.  Usually I mix these from basic colors like RYB/CMY/K/W.
  3. Seriously? Pour & Stir
  4. I'm not qualified to instruct someone on doing this.  Pressure casting is as safe as the knowledge and tools you possess, so please consult with a licensed professional or wait until I have 10-15 years experience before trusting me with your life.

Q. Will you be PMing us or email with Tracking info?

A. Always e-mail tracking notifications.

Q. What was your inspiration for slow-fi? Did you see any sloths in person for his design?

A. Slo-Fi was a laughing fit over a pun turned into a 10 minute sculpting seizure(figurative seizure...).  The entire time I was laughing from the pun.  My fiancee (now Wifu) thought I was troubled, and the sculpture was done well before the substance could set beyond the consistency of tooth-paste.  It was too wet to hold up against gravity and so his chilled, laid back, attitude comes from the epoxy settling as it dried.  The entire character came from my bad bad bad brain.

Sale Specific Q&A

Hyper Hyperfuse Hype Sticker Raffle

SpAmRaY:
What is this? :eek:
?
First question.....how do you decide what awesome art goes on what package?

Binge:

--- Quote from: SpAmRaY on Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:19:55 ---What is this? :eek:
?
First question.....how do you decide what awesome art goes on what package?

--- End quote ---

Q. How do you decide what awesome art goes on each package?

A. Each piece of art is a small labor of love.  I am usually in the middle of listening to some music w/markers in hand and I'll have the mound of blank packages next to me.  The music really helps inspire a piece.  I'll get a very clear image of something in my head, and I'll try to render it.  I don't have any problems making a bunch of them because it's easy to just keep rendering pictures if I don't get too focused on a theme.  Limiting myself from drawing certain things would probably make it much less enjoyable.

HoffmanMyster:
Let's settle this once and for all.  Is LumberChap based on SpamRay, myself, or some other fine bearded gent?

It's okay, you can say it's Ray.  :P

HoffmanMyster:
Another one/three.

How many fn caps did you make?  Did you intend for them to be so limited, despite high demand, or was that accidental?  Did the lack of a sculpture on them have any influence on your decision to stop making them (ie, it wasn't as interesting, artistically)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version