Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3527900 times)

Offline combataran

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #9500 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:32:02 »
Anyone know what this is? Because I don't.

Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9501 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 11:57:26 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Interesting. Could you link where you found it? I suspect this is a) a new korean custom (so this is maybe a prototype) or b) a modded or custom PCB with a custom case.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9502 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 12:21:21 »
I think it was a 1-off acrylic-cased custom. Not sure if it has a name. SIGSEGV has it iirc.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9503 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 12:23:52 »
Looks like a litster case?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #9504 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 13:23:48 »
I just ordered a duck lightpad and eagle.

Problem is that I don't know whether to use plate mounted or pcb mounted (cherry) stabs for them. Both of them have plates

Does it matter?

Is there any difference?

Which would you choose?

Thanks!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9505 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 14:12:42 »
Looks like a litster case?

Missing F-row.

1. Problem is that I don't know whether to use plate mounted or pcb mounted (cherry) stabs for them. Both of them have plates
2. Does it matter?
3. Is there any difference?
4. Which would you choose?

1. If the PCB is compatible with PCB mounted stabs then you can use both.
2. Feel-wise, no.
3. Yes, plate mounted stabs cannot be PCB mounted and PCB mounted stabilizers need a PCB to get mounted (so you can't use them for direct wiring projects for example and the PCB has to have the corresponding holes for them). The only difference is the base part of the stabilizer.
4. I would go with plate mounted stabilizers since PCB mounted stabs tend to break easily.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9506 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 16:43:33 »
How many parts hydrogen peroxide did you use to the oxi powder? And also where did you find it?

Look for a local beauty supply store.  They will have some higher percentage H2O2.

Offline combataran

« Reply #9507 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 20:08:01 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Interesting. Could you link where you found it? I suspect this is a) a new korean custom (so this is maybe a prototype) or b) a modded or custom PCB with a custom case.

Found it on OTD.

I think it was a 1-off acrylic-cased custom. Not sure if it has a name. SIGSEGV has it iirc.

Looks like it. I'd ask him about it, but I don't speak Korean.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #9508 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 10:58:59 »
my spacebar (clipped cherry stabs) have a nice "thock" when i bottom it out on the right side. but when i use the left side of the spacebar, it rattles like hell. it's a corsair K70 keyboard. does anyone know how to fix this? lubed the stabs and nothing changed

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #9509 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:03:02 »

1. If the PCB is compatible with PCB mounted stabs then you can use both.
2. Feel-wise, no.
3. Yes, plate mounted stabs cannot be PCB mounted and PCB mounted stabilizers need a PCB to get mounted (so you can't use them for direct wiring projects for example and the PCB has to have the corresponding holes for them). The only difference is the base part of the stabilizer.
4. I would go with plate mounted stabilizers since PCB mounted stabs tend to break easily.

Ahh cool. So I suppose plate mounted switches would be the safer choice on most keyboards with a plate then

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9510 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 11:04:41 »
my spacebar (clipped cherry stabs) have a nice "thock" when i bottom it out on the right side. but when i use the left side of the spacebar, it rattles like hell. it's a corsair K70 keyboard. does anyone know how to fix this? lubed the stabs and nothing changed

Make sure the stabilizer wire is seated correctly in its base.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9511 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 12:17:26 »
Anyone know the OEM for the Rapid-i by chance?
Don't think we'll find out until someone does a teardown. Is there a teardown or there already?

Offline ajx

« Reply #9512 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:48:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Does it exist any keyboard like this? I mean layout and size (i like 60% but it misses a lack of dedicated arrows, and TKL, F1, F2 etc are rather useless for my use...)
It looks really good

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9513 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:29:00 »
Does it exist any keyboard like this? I mean layout and size (i like 60% but it misses a lack of dedicated arrows, and TKL, F1, F2 etc are rather useless for my use...)
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9514 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:38:07 »
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

@ajx: You are looking for this:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59827.msg1375092#msg1375092

I think Matt3o might be doing another run of these at some point, but I think this is the holy grail you are searching for...

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9515 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:44:03 »
I think Matt3o might be doing another run of these at some point, but I think this is the holy grail you are searching for...

That's a homemade PCB with handdrawn wires (whats the correct word for that again?), I don't think he made more than one.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9516 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:47:02 »

That's a homemade PCB with handdrawn wires (whats the correct word for that again?), I don't think he made more than one.

Yes, it is hand wired.  When I talked to him last I think he is considering doing a very small run of the plate + case.  It would still require that you hand wire the keyboard and add your own controller and such.  Take the plunge and be a maker...  :P

Edit: If he does a run of these, I will be building mine with the Enabler PCBs... 
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:48:58 by swill »

Offline ajx

« Reply #9517 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 16:52:12 »
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

@ajx: You are looking for this:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59827.msg1375092#msg1375092

I am looking for commercial and ready-to-use keyboard  :p
I was planning to buy TKL until i saw this beauty on this thread, damn sexy and seems to be very pratical as layout

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9518 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:03:45 »
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

I was planning to buy TKL until i saw this beauty on this thread, damn sexy and seems to be very pratical as layout

Fair enough.  I totally understand.  :)

Edit: You may want to consider a 75% layout.  There are commercial and ready-to-use options for the 75% which you might be interested in. 

Here are a few options (I am only linking to banggood because it is easy to link there, you can buy from other places):
http://www.banggood.com/KBT-KBTalking-RACE2-75-Mini82-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-Brown-p-934708.html
http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-84-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-Switch-p-81183.html

Here is my custom made 75% which I built from a Sprit PCB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:18:34 by swill »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9519 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:05:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It looks really good
wouldn't a leopold fc660 work for that? No function row, but with dedicated arrow keys
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9520 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 18:27:35 »
wouldn't a leopold fc660 work for that? No function row, but with dedicated arrow keys

Lacks the cluster above the arrow keys though. If those are not needed, it's a good suggestion though.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9521 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 21:42:14 »

Yes, that is a good suggestion. I love the layout of my FC660C. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9522 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:47:12 »
Spherical top Cherry profile doubleshots?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9523 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 05:57:44 »

If you're asking if such a thing exists, I don't think so.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9524 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 07:22:27 »

I don't think so either.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #9525 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 11:32:18 »
I've stuck some soft packaging foam into the slots of the casing for my pure and i'm still getting a bit of chattering on the "h" key...

hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h

Any ideas for this?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9526 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 11:33:18 »
I've stuck some soft packaging foam into the slots of the casing for my pure and i'm still getting a bit of chattering on the "h" key...

hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h

Any ideas for this?

I've found that foam doesn't work as well as drawer liner. Perhaps try using drawer liner instead? And check your "H" key's solder joints.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9527 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 13:57:02 »
I've stuck some soft packaging foam into the slots

Soft fabric such as felt works well and is non-conductive.

Instead of stuffing it in at random, cut strips and roll them into cylinders to fit each space.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline divito

« Reply #9528 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:05:00 »
As some may have noticed a few pages back, I asked about that red Cherry keycap holder.

I'm essentially looking to achieve something universally better than any other option for storage of sets (as well as a version for novelties), and I think the SP plungers might be the best option to do something custom.

My simple question is, so I know how many plungers to order, is what is the average number of keycaps for sets? Using the keycap sheets as a sort of base for permutations, it appears ~127 is a general total (not including ErgoDox). Would I be safer with 150?
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9529 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:08:07 »

My simple question is, so I know how many plungers to order, is what is the average number of keycaps for sets? Using the keycap sheets as a sort of base for permutations, it appears ~127 is a general total (not including ErgoDox). Would I be safer with 150?

I think that keycap sheet is a generally solid guide. 127 would work and 150 would be really conservative.

Offline divito

« Reply #9530 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:16:31 »
Given the small price difference, I just went with 150 and that gives me a little leeway to experiment. Hopefully this leads to awesome things in the near future.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline ajx

« Reply #9531 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:20:16 »
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

Edit: You may want to consider a 75% layout.  There are commercial and ready-to-use options for the 75% which you might be interested in. 

Here are a few options (I am only linking to banggood because it is easy to link there, you can buy from other places):
http://www.banggood.com/KBT-KBTalking-RACE2-75-Mini82-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-Brown-p-934708.html
http://www.banggood.com/KEYCOOL-84-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-Switch-p-81183.html

Show Image

It looks like hum... ;D
Sorry i like standard and basic layout  :p
But kinda funny and lovely keyboard you ve showed there
I am fairly hesitating between TKL such as KUL and Ducky SHine 3 TKL >:D
(backlit vs KUL quality  :-[)

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 16:22:05 by ajx »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #9532 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:34:34 »
It looks really good

Not to my knowledge.

Show Image

It looks like hum... ;D
Sorry i like standard and basic layout  :p
But kinda funny and lovely keyboard you ve showed there
I have found that backlighted keyboards are nice but the novelty & usefulness get's old pretty quick along with the keycaps (shine-wear-limited). From the reviews I've seen the KUL is a good choice and if you upgrade the caps most standard TKL sets fit, but that's up to you, I would get the KUL vs the Ducky S3.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9533 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 18:54:15 »

I don't think so either.

What about spherical top OEM or DCS profile doubelshots?

Any profile except DSA or SA/HP spherical top doubleshot MX. Just a 'regular' profile.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9534 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:34:36 »
Spherical top OEM or DCS profile doubelshots?

Any profile except DSA or SA/HP spherical top doubleshot MX. Just a 'regular' profile.

I don't think I've ever heard of a spherical top OEM or DCS profile that's currently made. Might be able to salvage some off of some old boards that would fit MX but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

I tried a KUL finally over the weekend. I liked it but I think I still prefer the Ducky Shine 3 slightly. Don't think you'd be unhappy with either choice though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:36:38 by CPTBadAss »

Offline yuiop

« Reply #9535 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:42:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like LimKB.  Those were made quite a while ago @ OTD.  Not a popular layout so they are kinda rare.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9536 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:50:12 »

I don't think so either.

What about spherical top OEM or DCS profile doubelshots?

I don't quite get it. SA and DSA are by definition spherical. DCS is cylindrical. OEM vary by manufacturer, but are understood to be standard height, cylindrical sculptured profile.

FYI, something I kinda figured out from SP's naming conventions:

Dxx = low profile
Sx = spherical
Cx = cylindrical
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9537 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 19:50:18 »
Spherical top OEM or DCS profile doubelshots?

I don't think I've ever heard of a spherical top OEM or DCS profile that's currently made. Might be able to salvage some off of some old boards that would fit MX but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Damn, that's a shame. They feel so good on the finger tips, but are always on some messed up cap profile. Might be a nice idea for a groupbuy though.
Just think about it: PBT doubleshots with Cherry legends and fingey cupping sphericals....   :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9538 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 20:48:14 »

Damn, that's a shame. They feel so good on the finger tips, but are always on some messed up cap profile. Might be a nice idea for a groupbuy though.
Just think about it: PBT doubleshots with Cherry legends and fingey cupping sphericals....   :eek:

You lost me at PBT

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #9539 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:26:30 »
Why can't I find a WoB doubleshot cherry set in wkl 1800 layout? :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9540 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:28:48 »

Guess you're not looking hard enough? I don't know why you can't find what you want.

More seriously, I found a new in package G81-1800 with that layout for $37 shipped on eBay. I think you could do the same thing.

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #9541 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 21:52:22 »

Guess you're not looking hard enough? I don't know why you can't find what you want.

More seriously, I found a new in package G81-1800 with that layout for $37 shipped on eBay. I think you could do the same thing.
I sent you a PM.

I think I just can't eBay. I've been searching for weeks.

Is there anything more I can do apart from searching worldwide and sorting by newly listed?

Cheers

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9542 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:00:12 »
I think I just can't eBay. I've been searching for weeks.

Is there anything more I can do apart from searching worldwide and sorting by newly listed?

Patience. Weeks? I looked for months.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9543 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:06:44 »
Winkeyless wob 1800s aren't that common. Don't expect to find stuff like that instantly. Hell, I searched over 9 months for a particular keyset.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline combataran

« Reply #9544 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 07:21:48 »

Winkeyless wob 1800s aren't that common. Don't expect to find stuff like that instantly. Hell, I searched over 9 months for a particular keyset.

What about BoW 1800s?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9545 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 09:29:37 »

What about BoW 1800s?

Same thing, they're not that common and you'll be hunting for a while.

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #9546 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 09:38:36 »
Thanks for the info guys. I was under the impression that wob ds wkl 1800 was really common!

Not in a hurry so I'll keep hunting :)

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #9547 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 10:24:29 »
I'm considering sandpapering the f and j keys on my bsp biege set because I really dislike the dots.  So I want to attempt to create a kind of scoop effect with sandpaper.  Is this a good idea?  I have 240 and 120 grit sandpaper. 

Also I can't fit my right shift on my Filco, a solution to this I saw somewhere is to sandpaper the insides so it will fit the costar stabilizer, I can't find the thread now though, anyone remember this?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9548 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 10:47:46 »
1) I'm considering sandpapering the f and j keys on my bsp biege set because I really dislike the dots.  So I want to attempt to create a kind of scoop effect with sandpaper.  Is this a good idea?  I have 240 and 120 grit sandpaper. 

2) Also I can't fit my right shift on my Filco, a solution to this I saw somewhere is to sandpaper the insides so it will fit the costar stabilizer, I can't find the thread now though, anyone remember this?

1) I don't see why it'd be an issue. Just go slow and make sure you have enough material left. And I wonder how deep the dyesub goes down.

2) Not sure, maybe this thread?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9549 on: Sat, 23 August 2014, 12:29:21 »
I'm considering sandpapering the f and j keys on my bsp biege set because I really dislike the dots.  So I want to attempt to create a kind of scoop effect with sandpaper.  Is this a good idea?  I have 240 and 120 grit sandpaper.

Be aware that you can't undo this and for replacement keys you would have to buy a new set. The texture and feeling of the keys might also change.