Author Topic: TheVan Keyboards Halloween Sale BananaSplit R2,Retro60,8Bit,White Powder Minivan  (Read 41857 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
To most of you it’s a simple 60 percent with some nice tweaks.

To me it's "endgame" material, and it's disappointing to hear this news before I've even had a chance to build one.

They said that they will have extras after shipping R2.  You might want to be on the lookout for that... I know I am.

Offline FailureToLoad

Hey everyone just wanted to make an update. This is actually pretty bittersweet for me. This is the final round of the BananaSplit. Me and Evan decided we can’t compete with other clones without making sacrifices to our quality. We believed that our product went beyond the features and qualities in the service we provided to our customers. I can’t thank my supporters enough you’ve truly made the BananaSplit an amazing experience for me. To most of you it’s a simple 60 percent with some nice tweaks. To me it holds way more value. It’s been an amazing learning experience for me with Evan taking me under his wing. I can’t thank him enough to just trust a random 18 year old he met at a meetup with a vision. He’s a life long friend and that’s something I’ll cherish and always takeaway from this endeavor. I’m sorry the past couples months I haven’t been as involved as I would have liked to. To put it simply. I got burnt out, and life decided to get in my way. This isn’t the end of me, I have more projects planned. If anyone has any questions or just wants to shoot the **** with me about anything feel free to PM me on reddit. Thank you to everyone at TheVan Keyboards and a big thanks to all my supporters. It’s been fun.

If it makes any difference, the feel of this board vs my dz60 is really apparent. I got my R2 BananaSplit in the mail yesterday. Both the plate and board are top notch, to the point that I'm eagerly awaiting left over stock to snag another. Thank you for your effort.

Offline jmdaly

If it makes any difference, the feel of this board vs my dz60 is really apparent. I got my R2 BananaSplit in the mail yesterday. Both the plate and board are top notch, to the point that I'm eagerly awaiting left over stock to snag another. Thank you for your effort.

Adding to this, while I can certainly imagine it's frustrating to see your idea reproduced and then getting undercut, I think there could still be a place in this market for the more premium 60% PCBs. There's no question that the BananaSplit style layout has become incredibly popular, and I'm sure there are quite a number of people who would continue to pay for the quality product you guys (TheVan Keyboards) are producing.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Built!

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/keeb/Zo65-01.jpg

Kailh BOX Pale Blue switches.
KBDfans 5° case.
Signature Plastics G20 profile dye-sub PBT keycaps.

The only snag I ran into was the Caps Lock indicator LED.  Because there isn't one.  Or there kind of can be, but…  All the switch LEDs are on the same circuit, powered by the same pin from the controller, for use as backlighting.  The one on the Caps Lock switch is just the same, and it can't be toggled separately.  To get a Caps Lock LED, I had to only install that one LED and leave all the others out, so I've got no backlighting.  That's OK to me, since I didn't give a flip about backlighting, but unfortunately the firmware also has no concept of a Caps Lock indicator, so it doesn't function as one.  There's no option in the online configurator for that.  So effectively I'll have to go into QMK here on my own computer and hack that function into it and compile it myself.  I'm sure I can figure that out, given time, but it's kind of a nuisance as I had been expecting to rely on the oh-so-convenient web-based thing.

Some of you will notice this layout is a minor refinement of the Zo64 that was my first build.  I just added one key and dubbed it the Zo65.  That new lime-green key is my dedicated Compose key, so I can type all kinds of funky characters (…©™ñ»⅞) with ease.  (It actually sends a Scroll Lock signal to my computer, but I configured Ubuntu to read Scroll Lock as Compose.)

I know G20 is low in popularity (to say the least), but I gave it a spin because the split spacebar wouldn't be an issue with it, and I've found I actually like this profile very much.  I like having homing bumps on F and J (which DSA and SA can't seem to manage), and the broad key tops and smooth edges are comfortable to me when typing fast.

On the subject of DZ60 versus Banana Split 60…  I don't think it's quite accurate to call the DZ60 a “clone” board.  The idea is similar, but the execution is very different.  So here are some notable differences:

DZ60 has RGB underglow; Banana Split does not.

DZ60 has an individually addressable Caps Lock LED, Banana Split does not.

DZ60 orients the switches with LEDs on the front of every switch, which is the reverse from most boards.  As a result, most keycap sets with translucent legends don't work well with it.  Banana Split has its backlight LEDs on the backs of the switches, which is more normal.

Each board supports some layouts that the other does not.  Banana Split Round 2 has more bottom-row options, while DZ60 allows the funky fourth-row offset.

Banana Split 60 has a physical reset button to use when flashing the controller.  DZ60 Round 2 with the USB-C option does not, relying instead on some awkward and easily-forgotten combination of keys held down when powering it up.

Oddly, Banana Split uses smaller SMT components, including an Atmel MEGA32U4-MU versus the DZ60's MEGA32U4-AU.  They're the same chip, only in a different package.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are pretty adamant about our decision to end the BananaSplit. If we would release a new version we would change a lot. Including making our own mounting points for a custom 60 case (since we hate how the standard mounting points make the pcb flex). As for extras it looks we don't have many. We expected a larger order volume we couldn't order as many extras as we would have liked.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Built!

Show Image

Kailh BOX Pale Blue switches.
KBDfans 5° case.
Signature Plastics G20 profile dye-sub PBT keycaps.

The only snag I ran into was the Caps Lock indicator LED.  Because there isn't one.  Or there kind of can be, but…  All the switch LEDs are on the same circuit, powered by the same pin from the controller, for use as backlighting.  The one on the Caps Lock switch is just the same, and it can't be toggled separately.  To get a Caps Lock LED, I had to only install that one LED and leave all the others out, so I've got no backlighting.  That's OK to me, since I didn't give a flip about backlighting, but unfortunately the firmware also has no concept of a Caps Lock indicator, so it doesn't function as one.  There's no option in the online configurator for that.  So effectively I'll have to go into QMK here on my own computer and hack that function into it and compile it myself.  I'm sure I can figure that out, given time, but it's kind of a nuisance as I had been expecting to rely on the oh-so-convenient web-based thing.

Some of you will notice this layout is a minor refinement of the Zo64 that was my first build.  I just added one key and dubbed it the Zo65.  That new lime-green key is my dedicated Compose key, so I can type all kinds of funky characters (…©™ñ»⅞) with ease.  (It actually sends a Scroll Lock signal to my computer, but I configured Ubuntu to read Scroll Lock as Compose.)

I know G20 is low in popularity (to say the least), but I gave it a spin because the split spacebar wouldn't be an issue with it, and I've found I actually like this profile very much.  I like having homing bumps on F and J (which DSA and SA can't seem to manage), and the broad key tops and smooth edges are comfortable to me when typing fast.

On the subject of DZ60 versus Banana Split 60…  I don't think it's quite accurate to call the DZ60 a “clone” board.  The idea is similar, but the execution is very different.  So here are some notable differences:

DZ60 has RGB underglow; Banana Split does not.

DZ60 has an individually addressable Caps Lock LED, Banana Split does not.

DZ60 orients the switches with LEDs on the front of every switch, which is the reverse from most boards.  As a result, most keycap sets with translucent legends don't work well with it.  Banana Split has its backlight LEDs on the backs of the switches, which is more normal.

Each board supports some layouts that the other does not.  Banana Split Round 2 has more bottom-row options, while DZ60 allows the funky fourth-row offset.

Banana Split 60 has a physical reset button to use when flashing the controller.  DZ60 Round 2 with the USB-C option does not, relying instead on some awkward and easily-forgotten combination of keys held down when powering it up.

Oddly, Banana Split uses smaller SMT components, including an Atmel MEGA32U4-MU versus the DZ60's MEGA32U4-AU.  They're the same chip, only in a different package.

Haha we overlooked the caps lock key because none of us use it. I think we both use caps lock as an fn key and didn't think twice about that. Our goal was to make programming your board as easy as possible with 0 fuss. As for rgb underglow we just think of it as a gimmick. Thanks for the detailed comparison :D

Edit: While I agree with you the round 2 boards have different layout options. The round 1 options are almost identical. Not to mention they decided to release their USB C pcb about a month or so later after our announcement. Just food for thought. We also support c to c which from what I've heard the DZ60 claimed to do it but has not.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 February 2018, 18:26:27 by Arhipio »

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are pretty adamant about our decision to end the BananaSplit. If we would release a new version we would change a lot. Including making our own mounting points for a custom 60 case (since we hate how the standard mounting points make the pcb flex). As for extras it looks we don't have many. We expected a larger order volume we couldn't order as many extras as we would have liked.

About those mounting points…  I have a ⅛" sheet of Sorbothane® (40 duro, very soft) under the PCB in this board.  It feels solid as an anvil.  Curiously, the DZ60 PCB has nine mounting points with screws, and my first 5° case that I pre-ordered has supports with screws for each of those locations.  However, the later 5° case that I got about a week ago only has the standard six screws, but instead it has added three new "ledge" type supports around the edges of the case.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
So R2 has started to ship... any idea when the extras will be on sale?

Offline FailureToLoad

About those mounting points…  I have a ⅛" sheet of Sorbothane® (40 duro, very soft) under the PCB in this board.  It feels solid as an anvil.  Curiously, the DZ60 PCB has nine mounting points with screws, and my first 5° case that I pre-ordered has supports with screws for each of those locations.  However, the later 5° case that I got about a week ago only has the standard six screws, but instead it has added three new "ledge" type supports around the edges of the case.
Oh man, MVP right here. I'd been wondering about a good material to use for this exact purpose and wasn't well versed on what would be safe vs what would cause issues. Gonna order up a sheet right god damned now.

Offline FailureToLoad

Totally understandable. I'm really glad I was able to secure one and it'll be a valued part of my collection.

Offline jmdaly

Built!

Show Image

Really nice board, and great review, thanks for sharing!

This is actually my one gripe with the BananaSplit. Boards with switches oriented such that the LEDs would be north-facing don't play well with Cherry profile caps. In particular, even without LEDs installed, Cherry profile R3 caps contact the switch housing before bottoming out when the LEDs are north facing, affecting both sound and feel. Many (though not all) PCBs that I can think of orient switches so that the LEDs would be south-facing, which work better with both Cherry caps and silencing clips: the original GH60, Nerd60, b.face, FaceW, DZ60, DO60, to name a few.

Offline sleepybrett

Just built my BS in a retro60, unfortunately the clearance on the usb port is not enough to accommodate any of the usb-c cords I have, and probably none on the market. You'll have to strip down the plastic shield or get the hole in the back widened. Kinda dissapointed.

However it looks pretty nice all the same.

Offline bitzie

Got my BananaSplit V2 on Friday and spent the night doing my first build: https://imgur.com/a/eMBLi Loving this board so far! Definitely worth the wait.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Just a follow-up to my problem with the caps lock.  I finally did figure out how to enable the Caps Lock indicator LED.  I just put this code into my layout, into the config.c file…

Code: [Select]
void led_set_user(uint8_t usb_led) {
    if (usb_led & (1 << USB_LED_CAPS_LOCK)) {
        DDRB |= (1 << 7); PORTB &= ~(1 << 7);
    } else {
        DDRB &= ~(1 << 7); PORTB &= ~(1 << 7);
    }
}

Please note that this only toggles the LED on and off, but does not change its intensity.  If you already had the backlight turned off, this will never turn it on!  So, you need to use BL_TOGG and BL_STEP to get the backlight on first.  Once that's done, you should be able to delete those codes from your keymap; you won't need them again.  (Somehow the status of LED intensity even survives flashing new firmware to the controller!)

EDIT:  I don't see any Banana Split available on the storefront?  Were extra PCB kits ever posted, or are they all gone already?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 22:41:53 by Zobeid Zuma »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
^ Haven't been posted yet to my knowledge.  I'm waiting too...

Offline beekey

This is very sad news about not continuing the BananaSplit. I have both R1 and R2 and I really like the changes you make to the R2, especially to the plate.
The DZ60 is also fine, but having both of them, I would definitely buy a BananaSplit (R2 or R3) again. I don't care about most of the extra features of the DZ60 like underglow, etc.
Paying a bit more for higher quality if fine for me. I hope you will do a R3, because I like your work a lot. Made me love 60% keyboards.

#BananaSplitR3 ;-)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Paying a bit more for higher quality if fine for me.

I think what really made it hard for the Banana Split 60 to "compete" against the DZ60 was not so much the price as it was the group buy model.  I came into this just in time to miss round one, then I had to wait months for round two, then more months for it to be delivered.  Over on r/mk there were guys asking about my keyboard, or asking about a PCB for their first 60% build, things like that…  I pointed them toward the DZ60.  Sometimes I mentioned the Banana Split 60 as well, but it seemed kind of futile.  There was no website where they could go and buy one, at any price.

I've been thinking for a while now that as this hobby continues to grow, there's going to have to be some movement away from the whole group buy and pre-order business model.  It served well to get things off the ground, but it's starting to become an impediment.

Offline mdaly001

So I noticed on van site something bout the hub countdown. Does anyone know what it is?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
I think what really made it hard for the Banana Split 60 to "compete" against the DZ60 was not so much the price as it was the group buy model.  I came into this just in time to miss round one, then I had to wait months for round two, then more months for it to be delivered.  Over on r/mk there were guys asking about my keyboard, or asking about a PCB for their first 60% build, things like that…  I pointed them toward the DZ60.  Sometimes I mentioned the Banana Split 60 as well, but it seemed kind of futile.  There was no website where they could go and buy one, at any price.

I've been thinking for a while now that as this hobby continues to grow, there's going to have to be some movement away from the whole group buy and pre-order business model.  It served well to get things off the ground, but it's starting to become an impediment.

Without the group buy model, many things wouldn't get made.  The costs for production are staggering- I know because I looked into doing it the way that Originative/Sherry is doing it now, i.e. ordering with your own money instead of having a GB.  Keeping inventory in stock also involves a certain amount of risk and has tax implications.  I don't think group buys are ever going away, though there may be a few players that actually keep stock, which is what Originative/Sherry seems to be moving towards.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
So I noticed on van site something bout the hub countdown. Does anyone know what it is?

I think that's his new keycap profile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7vonon/news_hub_a_keycap_profile_coming_soon/

Offline mdaly001

I think that's his new keycap profile.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7vonon/news_hub_a_keycap_profile_coming_soon/
Thx!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline MikeTheTiger

Anybody running their BanaSplit with the plate? Just wondering what your impressions are, as I haven't built my R2 yet. I'm about to move my Zeal60 out of my 5 degree case and sell it, so the Banana can have a new home.

Offline beekey

Sometimes I mentioned the Banana Split 60 as well, but it seemed kind of futile.  There was no website where they could go and buy one, at any price.
That is a very valid point. Try to get some information about the PCD, like programming it, possible layouts etc. Hard to find the name on the page at all. The FAQ is the only hint at the programming and the existing PCBs.

I like it a lot, but a bit of marketing could not harm. Keeping a static page about it would not harm.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Anybody running their BanaSplit with the plate? Just wondering what your impressions are, as I haven't built my R2 yet. I'm about to move my Zeal60 out of my 5 degree case and sell it, so the Banana can have a new home.

I'm running it with the plate in a 5 degree case.  It feels fine, though it does move around a bit as the screws aren't all in the right place, and I'm not going to do anything to change that until I make the changes in my key arrangement of the space bar (got it bollixed up somehow- the split spacebar from nautilus doesn't fit exactly right)

Anything else you want to know?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Any update on 8bit keycaps?  The website says:

"UPDATE - We expect shipment to arrive in the upcoming few weeks. Processing and shipment out will be immediately after."  With no date.

That statement is rather meaningless without a date :(

Offline MikeTheTiger

I'm running it with the plate in a 5 degree case.  It feels fine, though it does move around a bit as the screws aren't all in the right place, and I'm not going to do anything to change that until I make the changes in my key arrangement of the space bar (got it bollixed up somehow- the split spacebar from nautilus doesn't fit exactly right)

Anything else you want to know?

Oops, I meant without the plate. My V1 is built with the plate.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
  Sometimes I mentioned the Banana Split 60 as well, but it seemed kind of futile.  There was no website where they could go and buy one, at any price.
That is a very valid point. Try to get some information about the PCD, like programming it, possible layouts etc. Hard to find the name on the page at all. The FAQ is the only hint at the programming and the existing PCBs.

I like it a lot, but a bit of marketing could not harm. Keeping a static page about it would not harm.

The layouts are all there on the product page and artwork. I updated a link upfront to our configurator to program the board. Sorry about not making that clear.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan

"UPDATE - We expect shipment to arrive in the upcoming few weeks. Processing and shipment out will be immediately after."  With no date.

I just talked to XDA guys a couple days ago. The caps didn't get produced before CNY but should be in production now. Once the blanks are done it will be about 7-10 days for the dyesub and then they will ship to me. When I have more info on when the blanks will be finished I'll update the site.

Offline MikeTheTiger

I went plateless with my v2. I love this pcb. This is my favorite board right now. ;)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

I just talked to XDA guys a couple days ago. The caps didn't get produced before CNY but should be in production now. Once the blanks are done it will be about 7-10 days for the dyesub and then they will ship to me. When I have more info on when the blanks will be finished I'll update the site.

Did you get any shipping notice or photos yet?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
I went plateless with my v2. I love this pcb. This is my favorite board right now. ;)

Show Image

damn, that looks great.  Looks like a render

Offline MikeTheTiger

Show Image

damn, that looks great.  Looks like a render

Naw...just a crap pic from my phone.  :p

Offline azulyf

Just saw a pic of the set on their insta story. Maybe good news is on the way.

Offline MikeTheTiger

Just saw a pic of the set on their insta story. Maybe good news is on the way.

I saw that too.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
This:

192029-0

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
They are hoping to ship end of month

Offline azulyf

Are we still on track of shipping this week?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Are we still on track of shipping this week?

Keycaps were just finished and now dyesubbing is happening they should ship to me April 15, not sure how long they will take to get to me. I’m anticipating I will begin shipping orders end of April

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
While you're here... any word on when we might expect those extras of BSr2?  Just trying to plan monetarily...

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
While you're here... any word on when we might expect those extras of BSr2?  Just trying to plan monetarily...

Should be really soon, just waiting for a count of what’s left

Offline Sputnik

I've just finished my first build with a BSr2 PCB, in 2 words: great stuff!!!
@evangs: so now I need a second PCB for my next project, modern M0110 when the GB will run... (I'll keep my eyes opened waiting for the left over ones...)
Just a noob question: do you think BSr2 will fit? If yes, what about the left and right ctrl? Is it ok if I don't solder the two switches and program the PCB with "no action" with qmk online configurator?
Thanks in advance

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
@evangs: so now I need a second PCB for my next project, modern M0110 when the GB will run... (I'll keep my eyes opened waiting for the left over ones...)
Just a noob question: do you think BSr2 will fit? If yes, what about the left and right ctrl? Is it ok if I don't solder the two switches and program the PCB with "no action" with qmk online configurator?
Thanks in advance

If that case fits standard 60% then you should be fine. Yes just leave those positions empty and set them to no action

Offline Sputnik

Thanks in advance

If that case fits standard 60% then you should be fine. Yes just leave those positions empty and set them to no action

:thumb: I'll try to grab a second BSr2....

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Hey everyone we launched our new profile called HuB inspired by cherry and spherical keycaps. Go check out our GB and Kickstarter threads if you are interested in this project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thevankeyboards/hub-mechanical-keyboard-key-caps?ref=3nyt34

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94974.0

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
The R2 board is up on the site.  $100 for plate and pcb.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
The R2 board is up on the site.  $100 for plate and pcb.

:D

Offline neorobo

Just trying to set up my banana split now...i've soldered a few of my switches and all those keys are registering, except for the left space key (I have a 225 125 275 setup).

Is this normal behavior? I would like to know before I continue soldering the rest of the board.

I figured that perhaps the board needs to be flashed for the left space key to be functional. I don't have experience with QMK and I was wondering if there is any step by step guide that if I follow, on Windows only, I can flash a .hex file generated from the website. So far I've tried QMK toolbox but get the following error when flashing after connecting the board, holding the reset button, and pressing flash.

*** DFU device connected: ATm32U4DFU -- 03EB:2FF4:1
*** DFU device disconnected: ATm32U4DFU -- 03EB:2FF4:1
*** Attempting to flash, please don't remove device
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 erase --force
    dfu-programmer: no device present.
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 flash "C:\Users\robth\Downloads\BananaSplit6020180415040055_defaultRHBS60.hex"
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 reset

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Just trying to set up my banana split now...i've soldered a few of my switches and all those keys are registering, except for the left space key (I have a 225 125 275 setup).

Is this normal behavior? I would like to know before I continue soldering the rest of the board.

I figured that perhaps the board needs to be flashed for the left space key to be functional. I don't have experience with QMK and I was wondering if there is any step by step guide that if I follow, on Windows only, I can flash a .hex file generated from the website. So far I've tried QMK toolbox but get the following error when flashing after connecting the board, holding the reset button, and pressing flash.

*** DFU device disconnected: ATm32U4DFU -- 03EB:2FF4:1
*** Attempting to flash, please don't remove device
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 erase --force
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 flash "C:\Users\robth\Downloads\BananaSplit6020180415040055_defaultRHBS60.hex"
>>> dfu-programmer.exe atmega32u4 reset

Did you press the reset button on the pcb? Do you have the atmega32u4 driver installed?

Offline neorobo

I did press the reset button on the pcb, but I haven't installed any drivers on my PC. Can you point me to where I can download the atmega32u4 driver?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
I did press the reset button on the pcb, but I haven't installed any drivers on my PC. Can you point me to where I can download the atmega32u4 driver?

I believe it’s included with qmk toolbox and just needs to be installed. If you go to device manager, hit reset on the pcb, then right click on the atmega32u4 device and then click update driver. Navigate to the driver folder and select it. Once that is installed you should be able to flash