Author Topic: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Ordering CLOSED)  (Read 108532 times)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
Re: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Taking orders!)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 14:27:25 »
In for a full set. Hoping sliders come down in price for my Topre, otherwise looks like this will go to a new build, assuming it tips.

Sorry to derail.
I haven't been paying attention and missed when sliders became available.
Could you please point me in the right direction? Fun caps was the main thing stopping me from using Topre.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:00:21 »
In for a full set. Hoping sliders come down in price for my Topre, otherwise looks like this will go to a new build, assuming it tips.

Sorry to derail.
I haven't been paying attention and missed when sliders became available.
Could you please point me in the right direction? Fun caps was the main thing stopping me from using Topre.

I'll second this! I had no idea I could use the Galaxy Class set on a Topre! (I use a heavily-modded Realforce as my daily driver.) More details please. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:47:21 by norbauer »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:01:43 »
Matt30 has created sliders that allow you to use MX caps on Topre boards. And the new CM Novatouch will have similar sliders. Also there's that....Plum board? Or another Chinese board that has the sliders as well.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:39:21 »
Matt30 has created sliders that allow you to use MX caps on Topre boards. And the new CM Novatouch will have similar sliders. Also there's that....Plum board? Or another Chinese board that has the sliders as well.
ah, so they aren't available just yet.

edit for clarity: im talking the sliders. idgaf about those boards [not to be rude, I just don't care for them ^.^]

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:42:22 »
they are 3d-printable but they are expensive

Offline norbauer

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:46:30 »
ah, so they aren't available just yet.

edit for clarity: im talking the sliders. idgaf about those boards [not to be rude, I just don't care for them ^.^]

Well, one could theoretically buy a CM Novatouch and take the sliders out and fit them into an existing Topre board. Depending on how expensive the 3D printed ones are, it could end up costing less. (The Novatouch boards are rumored to be ~$150.) The advantage of the Novatouch boards would seem to be that they should theoretically be able accommodate even the stabilized keys like spacebar, but I'm not sure. The Galaxy Class set would look kind of lame fitted onto a board without the stabilized keys.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:49:46 »
you need the whole switch housing for the stabilizers (not just the sliders), but technically speaking yeah, it's feasible.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:03:14 »
you need the whole switch housing for the stabilizers (not just the sliders), but technically speaking yeah, it's feasible.

Hehe. Well, I'm using a total frankenboard (Korean aluminum housing, swapped-out 30g domes mixed with some 45g on bigger keys). Hopefully the plates and PCB on the Novatouch are similar enough to the 87U that I could just take the board and PCB out of the Novatouch housing, fit it into my aluminum housing, swap out the domes to my liking, and then fit a Galaxy Class set on top. A long-shot maybe, but I'm very excited by even the prospect. Just when I thought my keyboard hobby had stopped giving me new things to obsess over (and spend money on)... :S

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:14:30 »
So, pardon me if I'm asking a question answered elsewhere, but ... I want the ergodox set, m'kay? Right now it's hovering at 3 ordered, 75 to hit MOQ, if I 'm reading it right.

But the main set, which I'm less enthused about based on actual keyboards in my house, is about halfway to MOQ. So, my question is:

If the main set hits MOQ, will the child deals still be produced? Or do I basically no chance to get this ergodox kit.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:19:31 »
Interested in the ED set as well (planning to order in a few days.) My hope is that the set will be made anyway since the printed caps overlap w/ the regular set.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline norbauer

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:34:51 »
So, pardon me if I'm asking a question answered elsewhere, but ... I want the ergodox set, m'kay? Right now it's hovering at 3 ordered, 75 to hit MOQ, if I 'm reading it right.

But the main set, which I'm less enthused about based on actual keyboards in my house, is about halfway to MOQ. So, my question is:

If the main set hits MOQ, will the child deals still be produced? Or do I basically no chance to get this ergodox kit.

Interested in the ED set as well (planning to order in a few days.) My hope is that the set will be made anyway since the printed caps overlap w/ the regular set.

Best I can tell you is to order early and order often. :)

If Ergodox doesn't hit the MOQ, we'll see what we can do to get it made. Worst case scenario, we just do a second round with a lower MOQ, which I think SP would be fine with, especially since (as mentioned above) the set as currently designed doesn't require printing much in the way of new legends beyond what is in the base set.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 23:04:27 »

Best I can tell you is to order early and order often. :)

If Ergodox doesn't hit the MOQ, we'll see what we can do to get it made. Worst case scenario, we just do a second round with a lower MOQ, which I think SP would be fine with, especially since (as mentioned above) the set as currently designed doesn't require printing much in the way of new legends beyond what is in the base set.

I know for granite because a lot of the keys WERE similar [mostly 1u un-subbed] they ended up producing even the low count blanks.
I feel like it's at their discretion but depending on demand for the set as a whole and for just the kits they're probably inclined to fill everyone's orders.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 20:38:10 »
We're on the PMK front page today. :)

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 21:46:13 »
Did the shipping details get sorted?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 02:15:17 »
Finally put my order in.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 03:09:33 »
I had a quick look at the template norbauer sent me.

it's a great set but with the experience I've gathered from the Granite set (I encourage to have a look at the first dyesub legends SP sent me) I dare to give some pieces of advice, take whatever you like, disregard the rest.

- legend thickness
thickness is not constant. The base alpha font is pretty bold, symbols are on the thin side and inconsistent.

It's clear from this picture

_ is too thick compared to + (and - is too small)

- legend size
there's too much variation in size between some legends

It's pretty clear from this pic

Also very similar legends such as \ and / can be found in very different size and thickness

- baseline
the baseline should be preserved as much as possible. there's too much variation in some legends

- number row
honestly I would reduce the size of the numbers and enlarge the symbols (as per any keyboard). The symbols are too small as they are now.

- mods
from what I've seen sublimation tends to make legends slightly bolder than they are on screen. Those mods are pretty bold and letters very close to each other. They maybe need some review

These are the fist notes that come to my mind, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 03:11:20 by Matt3o »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 07:44:28 »
This is great advice. The reason I didn't order earlier is because a few eagle-eyed folks had mentioned such things. I thought it better to order and trust that any issues will be worked out.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 12:39:10 »
I had a quick look at the template norbauer sent me.

it's a great set but with the experience I've gathered from the Granite set (I encourage to have a look at the first dyesub legends SP sent me) I dare to give some pieces of advice, take whatever you like, disregard the rest.

- legend thickness
thickness is not constant. The base alpha font is pretty bold, symbols are on the thin side and inconsistent.

It's clear from this picture

Show Image

_ is too thick compared to + (and - is too small)

- legend size
there's too much variation in size between some legends

It's pretty clear from this pic
Show Image

Also very similar legends such as \ and / can be found in very different size and thickness

Show Image

- baseline
the baseline should be preserved as much as possible. there's too much variation in some legends

Show Image

- number row
honestly I would reduce the size of the numbers and enlarge the symbols (as per any keyboard). The symbols are too small as they are now.

- mods
from what I've seen sublimation tends to make legends slightly bolder than they are on screen. Those mods are pretty bold and letters very close to each other. They maybe need some review

These are the fist notes that come to my mind, hope this helps.

First of all, thank you for taking a look at the legends so closely!

These are all good suggestions, and all these issues have bothered me as well. I'll take a stab at improving the issues you mentioned and post an updated mock-up soon.

Unfortunately, the problem partly arises from the font itself. With a consistent font size set across all legends, the symbol glyphs look totally out of proportion, so I had just to manually tweak the sizes relative to each other on a key-by-key basis until it looked moderately right to me. My subjective judgment calls in this area will necessarily be different than anyone else's, but I'm happy to concede that I made some poor calls (namely, those that you mentioned).

Also, FWIW, remember that we're trying to keep things in the lower-right corner of every key to stick with the LCARS style—you had the enviable advantage with the Granite set in being able to cover the whole key face, both vertically and horizontally centered, which makes a lot of things easier. ;) The is the main problem. In order to make things look like they're in the lower-right hand corner of the key, some glyphs need to be compressed more than others, depending on the symbol in question. And, as you noted, when you do this, things like the line thicknesses look different. It's a bit of a tricky balance between size, thickness, and alignment. And generally tweaking one variable tends to throw the others off. :S

At any rate, I'll revisit the mock-up and see what improvements I can make. :) Thanks again!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 12:59:38 »
I had similar issues with the Granite. The solution for me was to:

1) redesign from scratch some of the legends (for example ~, @, ˝, ų and many other Granite legends are custom)
2) reduce the legends that need to be reduced and then add a small outline to give back some thickness

Also, do no go too close to the edge of the cap, my unproved impression is that they tend to slightly distort on the edges.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 13:08:02 »
I had similar issues with the Granite. The solution for me was to:

1) redesign from scratch some of the legends (for example ~, @, ˝, ų and many other Granite legends are custom)
2) reduce the legends that need to be reduced and then add a small outline to give back some thickness

Also, do no go too close to the edge of the cap, my unproved impression is that they tend to slightly distort on the edges.

#2 is a very good idea. thanks!

Unfortunately, in order to align things properly in illustrator, I had to convert to outlines before doing the alignment. In order to change anything at this point, I have to go back and re-create all the legends from scratch. So it may take me several days before I have a new mock-up.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 13:31:44 »
I know the ****, pal.... I know the **** :)

good luck :)

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:43:39 »
Any chance of 1u blanks for purple, teal, and/or pink?

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 01:41:26 »

also more space bars :)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 10:13:47 »
Oh boy, I was abroad a couple of weeks and returned just in time to not miss this awesome GB!

Will place my order in the next couple of days :)

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 10:35:50 »

Yea a 6u spacebar would be superb

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:24:16 »

Space bar pack a la toxic?
a couple sizes and a couple colors?
maybe it could just be a separate buy to run alongside this one.
adding a child this far in seems a little wonky.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 23:21:01 »

Not a bad idea

Offline norbauer

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 12:52:52 »

Yes, we can't add any more child deals for this group buy at this point. However, there may be a supplemental buy at some point in the near future for items like this.

Offline Willyc277

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 00:51:15 »
Just ordered!  Will be my first gb! Pretty stoked. Only 20 more needed to tip!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 00:53:54 »
Just ordered!  Will be my first gb! Pretty stoked. Only 20 more needed to tip!

Excellent. Thanks for helping us get that much closer. :)

Offline pasph

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 05:25:44 »
The only thing that prevent me to order this is the absurd cost of the Tsangan kit (that i need)
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 08:04:37 »
4srs though, how much is shipping?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 18:51:37 »

Did you not get a reply from support?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 22:39:55 »
The only thing that prevent me to order this is the absurd cost of the Tsangan kit (that i need)

Yea this is making me seriously consider not participating. Even at 75 orders $44 is a ripoff for a tsangan. We are at 8.....

If they want more orders drop the tsangan price somehow or add it into the base set like many of the more modern sales are doing.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 05:40:29 »

No, nothing.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:52:50 »

No, nothing.

Hmm. That's odd. I wish I could help, but unfortunately I have no insight into how that side of things works. I'm going to PM you the email of a person at the company who programs the website that the SP site runs on. He may be able to help.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:42:00 »
Strange you didn't hear from them. Have you made an order through your account?
Mine calculates the shipping just before I check out.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:47:46 »

Yea this is making me seriously consider not participating. Even at 75 orders $44 is a ripoff for a tsangan. We are at 8.....

If they want more orders drop the tsangan price somehow or add it into the base set like many of the more modern sales are doing.

I was a bit puzzled by the cost on that set too, but (as I mentioned at some point earlier in the thread—sorry for repeating myself), I think it might be the difficulty of making 7u spacebars in PBT. I know that Topre won't do spacebars in PBT, purportedly because plastic shrinkage on so wide a key makes the manufacturing tolerances problematic using PBT instead of ABS. I'd venture a guess that there are simply more rejects when they make PBT spacebars, which raises the overall cost.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:39:01 »
I was a bit puzzled by the cost on that set too, but (as I mentioned at some point earlier in the thread—sorry for repeating myself), I think it might be the difficulty of making 7u spacebars in PBT. I know that Topre won't do spacebars in PBT, purportedly because plastic shrinkage on so wide a key makes the manufacturing tolerances problematic using PBT instead of ABS. I'd venture a guess that there are simply more rejects when they make PBT spacebars, which raises the overall cost.

I dunno, even at the 15-buyer tier spacebars were only $8 a piece in the Granite set... Maybe it's the multiple >1u keys, and multiple nonstandard-color keys?

But is this spacebar in PBT? GD is an ABS color, isn't it?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:55:04 »
I believe the problems with tsangan are the following:

1) 3 different base colors. Each color is a different setup (=human work). You want to avoid setup costs as much as possible because that is what makes kits expensive at low tier (and by low I mean under 100)
2) the spacebar. I believe spacebar not included in the base kit should be sold separately because it's very likely that each buyer would get more than one making the overall price lower than putting it into a (more expensive) kit

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 17:44:49 »
I bought 26 of each of the blank 1u keys so I could populate a keyboard in any color I choose. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 02:23:49 »

I dunno, even at the 15-buyer tier spacebars were only $8 a piece in the Granite set... Maybe it's the multiple >1u keys, and multiple nonstandard-color keys?

But is this spacebar in PBT? GD is an ABS color, isn't it?

Spacebar will definitely be PBT. I didn't find out until late in the game that this was possible, so the mock-up may still have an ABS color code. We'll pick a PBT equivalent if so.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 03:55:34 »
13 more to tip :d and 7 days to go. I guess this will be a limited edition set, my Poker X is craving for this set  :-*
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:11:26 »
I'm rather new to all the customizable keyboard stuff so please take it easy on me. :)

I've decided to get a mechanical keyboard and I've been doing a lot of research on the internet. I think I've decided to give the WASD V2 keyboard a try as I love how you can customize each key cap color as well as provide your own legend layout.

But, now I found this cool ST-TNG keycap set and I'd love to order it but I would like to verify that this keycap set would work with the WASD V2 keyboard.
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline Pharo212

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:16:08 »
I'm rather new to all the customizable keyboard stuff so please take it easy on me. :)

I've decided to get a mechanical keyboard and I've been doing a lot of research on the internet. I think I've decided to give the WASD V2 keyboard a try as I love how you can customize each key cap color as well as provide your own legend layout.

But, now I found this cool ST-TNG keycap set and I'd love to order it but I would like to verify that this keycap set would work with the WASD V2 keyboard.

WASD uses a very standard layout, as long as you're getting a ANSI (87 or 104). If you get an ISO layout you'll need to get a child buy.

And you can get WASD keyboards without any caps for a discount.

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:22:54 »

WASD uses a very standard layout, as long as you're getting a ANSI (87 or 104). If you get an ISO layout you'll need to get a child buy.

Thanks! Yes, I'll be getting the ANSI 87 key keyboard.
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 23:06:05 »

Thanks! Yes, I'll be getting the ANSI 87 key keyboard.

As Pharo mention you can buy your board without the wasd brand caps to save a dime. [about $50]
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html#ad-image-0

Welcome both of you to geek hack!
In case you hadn't taken note these are DSA profile and will be shorter than your standard caps.
That set is DSA retro to show you how the cap profile looks. http://i.imgur.com/xSUvPCY.jpg

I'm very excited for this set.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 02:46:20 »
DSA is one of the best profiles, and on a TKL or 60% is just perfect. So go ahead buy the WASD board and match it with the keycaps from this GB  :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:56:04 »
12 more. 5 and some days.
GOGOGO

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:26:24 »
Have the font issues been resolved or is that something that will happen during production?