Author Topic: [SOLVED] Exact Audio Copy experts?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
[SOLVED] Exact Audio Copy experts?
« on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:18:00 »
A problem that I have had with EAC for quite a while is that on .MP3 rips from CDs it does not go all the way to the quality level that I set.

Even when I move all of the "quality control" settings that I can find all the way to the top, requesting 320 bit rips, the final products almost invariably end up as a mix of readings in the low-mid-200 bit range. My tired old ears may not be able to hear the difference anyway, but I would like to understand it.

I know that EAC is the preferred CD ripper for most people, but it frustrates me when other programs such as CDex give me 320 bits when I ask for it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2017, 09:03:39 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline logomachy

Re: Are there any EAC Exact Audio Copy experts here?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:34:27 »
Are the additional command line options set for 320? The default might be variable bitrate.

Offline ika

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:39:09 »
Sounds like the mp3 encoder is doing variable bitrate. I haven't used EAC in many years but this should be accurate:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/exact_audio_copy_installation_and_configuration_page_5.cfm

What does your config page say in the "additional command line options" section? If you want constant 320 bitrate it should read something like -b 320. Personally I prefer -V 0, smaller file size but still goes up to 320kbps when needed.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:44:17 »
Assuming you're using LAME; in EAC Compression options adding '-b 320' to the beginning of 'additional command-line options' box should fix it.

Take out any '-v' you see.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 February 2017, 16:45:48 by clappingcactus »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 18:26:03 »
variable bitrate

But you really don't want to rip 320 cbr for mp3, because file sizes are pretty close to flac, and it's way worse quality..

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 18:51:49 »
variable bitrate

But you really don't want to rip 320 cbr for mp3, because file sizes are pretty close to flac, and it's way worse quality..

This, 256VBR is the highest I'd go, even then 192 is usually sufficient

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 18:55:55 »

256VBR is the highest I'd go, even then 192 is usually sufficient

This where the bulk of my ripping is done anyway, and since I started in .MP3 @ 192 many many years ago and for consistency that is probably OK.

My underlying perplexity was why is this happening?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 19:00:59 »

256VBR is the highest I'd go, even then 192 is usually sufficient

This where the bulk of my ripping is done anyway, and since I started in .MP3 @ 192 many many years ago and for consistency that is probably OK.

My underlying perplexity was why is this happening?

My thought was similar to clappingcactus'; Are you using the LAME Encoder? If so, make sure it's setup similar to this:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 February 2017, 19:39:22 »
variable bitrate

This, 256VBR is the highest I'd go, even then 192 is usually sufficient

I'm not so sure why people are still using mp3s..

They got spotify and pandora.. it's just way way easier if you're willing to accept lossy compression..

And i think they also don't count towards data usage on many carriers..

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 04:57:07 »
I'd recommend using CUERipper which is included with CUETools. Has the benefits of EAC without the mess. AccurateRip verification, EAC-formatted rip logs, streamlined UI, optional automatic metadata addition from multiple different sources (best implementation I've seen). Excellent program.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 06:26:11 »
320 CBR is something I'd only use if I know I need to play those files on weird old hardware.
Either archive to Flac or rip to V2/V0 for listening.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 09:02:49 »
Thanks for the help, guys. The "Additional Command Line Options" made it work properly.

CueRipper looked interesting but being wrapped up in NET framework made me want to ignore it.

I have a gigantic .MP3 collection (the majority of it converted and/or ripped from my physical collection) and I want it all in the same format, as plain-Jane and old-school as possible to be playable on anything.

PS - I don't really understand or care what "playlists" and "libraries" are so these are all in straight files and directory tree structures on a hard drive.