Author Topic: Does anyone on GH have a helicopter pilot license?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Does anyone on GH have a helicopter pilot license?
« on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 15:44:49 »
This is something I have been thinking about for the past 9 months, much more seriously recently though. Does anyone here have their PPL-H or commercial license, I'd love to pick your brain a little bit to help with this decision. $12k for a license is nothing to sneeze at financially, so I'd love to get some first-hand perspective on the training process, costs, and requirements.

Offline rabbitfire

Re: Does anyone on GH have a helicopter pilot license?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 07:14:46 »
No I don't :)))

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 15:33:55 »
This is something I have been thinking about for the past 9 months, much more seriously recently though. Does anyone here have their PPL-H or commercial license, I'd love to pick your brain a little bit to help with this decision. $12k for a license is nothing to sneeze at financially, so I'd love to get some first-hand perspective on the training process, costs, and requirements.

Just do it. You only live once (I've got a friend my age who just died of a heart stroke). I don't have my helicopter license but my brother very seriously considered getting one a few years ago (price was basically the same) and now wish he did (now he has a wife and kid etc. and lives in a country where it's more difficult for him to get one).

I've got no clue as to the requirements etc. in the U.S. but helicopter are very cool things IMHO... I've got a friend whose father owns an helicopter: two years ago they came visiting me on vacation and I went to pick them at a private airport (my garden wasn't big enough to land safely the helicopter).  The guy basically use his helicopter like we use our cars: it was a one hour and a half drive, but a 15 minutes helicopter flight... So he takes the copter.  Same for vacation: instead of taking the plane or train or car he just takes his flying machine.

There's a saying that goes like : "Best things in life are either free or very, very, very expensive".  I think helicopters go in that second category.  Just do it mate!

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 15:36:39 »

Just do it. You only live once (I've got a friend my age who just died of a heart stroke). I don't have my helicopter license but my brother very seriously considered getting one a few years ago (price was basically the same) and now wish he did (now he has a wife and kid etc. and lives in a country where it's more difficult for him to get one).

I've got no clue as to the requirements etc. in the U.S. but helicopter are very cool things IMHO... I've got a friend whose father owns an helicopter: two years ago they came visiting me on vacation and I went to pick them at a private airport (my garden wasn't big enough to land safely the helicopter).  The guy basically use his helicopter like we use our cars: it was a one hour and a half drive, but a 15 minutes helicopter flight... So he takes the copter.  Same for vacation: instead of taking the plane or train or car he just takes his flying machine.

There's a saying that goes like : "Best things in life are either free or very, very, very expensive".  I think helicopters go in that second category.  Just do it mate!

Edit: here in belgium the persons I know who have a private plane license typically simply rent planes but... Once they get a wife+kids it becomes hard for them to find enough hours in a year to flight: and if they don't fly enough, they lose their license (or partially lose it). I take it it's something to keep in mind: it's clearly something amazing to have (the license) but it requires dedication, time and money.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 21:44:42 »

Edit: here in belgium the persons I know who have a private plane license typically simply rent planes but... Once they get a wife+kids it becomes hard for them to find enough hours in a year to flight: and if they don't fly enough, they lose their license (or partially lose it). I take it it's something to keep in mind: it's clearly something amazing to have (the license) but it requires dedication, time and money.

"Just do it. You only live one". Agreed!  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 00:09:10 »

u don't know this for sure..

He could cast a resurrection spell..  or maybe he has stocked up on phoenix downs.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 00:15:07 »

u don't know this for sure..

phoenix downs.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 14:19:33 »
I think it comes down to whether you could make some money back working at it. During the economic boom in Ireland during the mid 2000's people made a fortune flying big wigs about.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 22:07:23 »
My best friend is a helicopter pilot for a full time job. The normal routine for getting work tends to be short term contract work as a fire fighter... globally. The other big option is flying for oil companies to and from rigs out at sea in potentially dangerous regions of the world which is what he does now after being a fire fighter for years in Canada and Australia. I'd be happy to answer what i know and find out what i dont. My interpretation is that there are more pilots than there are jobs, and even fewer "good" jobs... but the pay is good. Get used to working a number of weeks on, few weeks off... and lots of travel.
-Dana

Offline keytohopiness

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 14:44:51 »
Just enough flight sims to know how hard it is.  Jack Bauer is sure good at it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 19:18:36 »
My best friend is a helicopter pilot for a full time job. The normal routine for getting work tends to be short term contract work as a fire fighter... globally. The other big option is flying for oil companies to and from rigs out at sea in potentially dangerous regions of the world which is what he does now after being a fire fighter for years in Canada and Australia. I'd be happy to answer what i know and find out what i dont. My interpretation is that there are more pilots than there are jobs, and even fewer "good" jobs... but the pay is good. Get used to working a number of weeks on, few weeks off... and lots of travel.

I really just want a private licence for fun, I set up an introductory flight for the end of March and we'll see what happens after that. I know if I go all the way with this I will never make that money back so it's really just for self-fulfillment.