Author Topic: [IC] Albatross, A Premium Rounded 60% (On Hold)  (Read 52908 times)

Offline snevok

[IC] Albatross, A Premium Rounded 60% (On Hold)
« on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:18:33 »
The Albatross

Case Renders:
More

Outdated Renders (with caps):
More

PCB Renders:
More

Because of the design, the keyboard assembles different compared to most others.  Here are two albums showing how all the pieces fit together: one from above, and one from below.  (Note: this is with the old case design.  The board still goes together the same way, but it looks slightly different now.)

Above:
More

Below:
More

Various specs:
  • 7.5 degree angle
  • Aluminum top and bottom, brass plate and weight.
  • Total weight ~3125g (~6.9lbs).  Top - 285g, plate - 750g, bottom - 341g, weight - 1753g.
  • Simplistic PCB with daughterboard designed by Gondolindrim.  VIA compatible, flex cuts (for future cases), no LEDs.
  • 5mm fixed tsangan plate
  • M3 hardware.
  • Sorbothane feet (design not final)

Random comments:
  • Don't even think about buying this board if you don't like a stiff mounting system.  I designed this whole board with rigidity in mind, there will be little to no flex when you type.
  • Branding will be kept to a minimum.  The PCB has two small logos, one for Gondo and one for me.  The case will likely have an inside logo with my name, the board's name, and the production number.
  • Case colors are TBD.  My goal is to have black, blue-grey, pink, and purple, but I'm still working on figuring it out.  If you don't like any colors on that list and have a different suggestion, feel free to let me know!  White has been postponed to a future run.
  • PCB color is also TBD.  Let me know if you have any suggestions, it's too hard to decide on my own (:

Price: There's a lot of complex parts that come from massive hunks of metal, so it's gonna be hard to keep this thing cheap.  That being said, $350-400 should definitely be doable, obviously the lower the better.  Exact price will be calculated and released sometime between getting the prototype and starting the GB. 

Filling out this Google form (https://forms.gle/PtscEFVYJEwss6uD6) will help me a ton as I continue working with this project.  Any feedback, good or bad, will not only help me improve this keyboard and others I design in the future, but personal projects that most of you will never know exist (:

Thanks for the continued support y'all, hope you like this board as much as I do.

-landen.aves
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 August 2020, 11:20:14 by snevok »

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] Albatross, A Premium Rounded 60%
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:21:10 »
Reserved for Updates:

Update: 4/25/20
More

Gondo got caught up in doing more important things than finishing a PCB, but expects to be done sometime in the upcoming week or two. 

Talking with the manufacturer about possibly modifying the bottom case to add more rigidity.  It won't change how it looks since the braces will all be internal, but there is a chance it'll add some machining cost.

Daughterboard has been implemented, now located on the center of the bottom (USB cutout is just a placeholder until I know if I have to add braces), picture here:

Still hoping to order prototypes soon after Gondo finishes up the PCB, but progress is likely to be slow since I'm currently dealing with a hellish landlord situation (which obviously takes priority over ordering prototypes).

That being said, the project is looking good so far!  I can't wait for more progress, y'all stay patient and keep your eyes peeled for future updates (:

Update 5/17/20
More

PCB prototypes ordered, case prototypes ordered.  I'm expecting both to arrive mid next month (June), but anything could happen with Corona. 

Final USB Location
More

Centered USB, slightly rounded hole.  Nothing too fancy, just keeping to the theme of the board.

Final PCB Design (Color TBD)
More

Gondolindrim designed, C3 unified daughterboard, VIA compatible.  No frills, flex cuts, leftover pinouts, tinker friendly.  A huge thank you to Gondo for coming through with such a great PCB for this project, I can't thank him enough ((:

I've decided to keep branding on the keyboard and PCB to a minimum.  Currently, the only logo is on the bottom of the PCB (my lil guy sitting under Gondo's tree).  For the production run, I'll more than likely add another one inside the case and out of sight with my name, the keyboard's name, and the production number. 

I'll likely need around 2-3 weeks after the prototype arrives to get ready for the GB.  This will give me time to:  inspect the model and make any changes I feel are necessary, talk with the manu to get a final quote and discuss any concerns with the prototype, test the PCB and make sure everything works as it should, and of course mentally prepare. 

I don't want to or expect there to be a need to limit the number of units sold.

Will update again once prototypes come in!  Will do an assembly video to show how it all fits together, as well as build it up and do a typing test to see how it sounds. 

Update 6/2/20
More

The case finished machining yesterday, will be bead blasted and anodized today, and shipped to me tomorrow.

PCBs are in production, taking slightly longer than expected.  Other than that, they're coming along nicely! 

Update 6/6/20
More

Anodizing has completed, but they are sending back the last piece to be re-anodized (streak visible in last pic, arrow pointing to it).  Should be shipping to me early next week.  Prototype color revealed, it's pink (:

Proto album from the manu: https://imgur.com/a/3DkQsQM

PCBs are almost done as well and should ship early next week as well.

Update 6/15/20
More

Prototype is officially in, and it looks fantastic!  I still need to wait for some stabs to come in (somehow I didn't have any spares lmao), and then I'll record and upload a typing test. 

If there's anything specific you want to see from the prototype, just let me know and I'll upload it tomorrow. 

Initial prototype images:
More

I'll take some more detailed pictures of all the parts later today or tomorrow.  I'll go into some more detail on specific thoughts about the prototype tomorrow as well, and go over some places where I think it could be improved (both design wise and manufacturing wise). 

Here's some more albums:

More Views of Individual Parts: https://imgur.com/a/bNxZPML

Overview of Defects and Damages: https://imgur.com/a/eFutWFM

Assembly Demonstration: https://imgur.com/a/bYCYACM

There are definitely some changes that I'll have to make, and a second prototype will likely have to be ordered. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 June 2020, 18:21:23 by snevok »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:24:59 »
Curves are pretty cool. Like how it nests together as well. Guessing the bottom weight is held in just through tight tolerances? Haven't seen any screw points.

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:26:18 »

Offline Lormania

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:26:46 »
Very nice! Definitely stands out among other 60% boards out there.

Offline apexshikari

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:28:12 »
Looks really good. Great work! Hope this gets to GB. I am in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline snevok

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:34:25 »
Curves are pretty cool. Like how it nests together as well. Guessing the bottom weight is held in just through tight tolerances? Haven't seen any screw points.

It's partially the tolerances, partially some other things.  There are some lips in the top of the case will lock it in place, and the pressure from the case being screwed together will keep it from wiggling around.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:51:18 »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:00:17 »
Really love the grainy texture on this!

Offline lukelex

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:22:04 »
I'm in!

Sent from my vivo 1805 using Tapatalk

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:27:08 »

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 22:59:35 »
Looks really cool. I think it might need some work in areas - currently there is no space for the PCB, since your plate is very thick.

I guess you know that already, but I’d like to see how you plan on making it thinner while still mounting it on top of the brass support, especially since there are no standoffs in this design.

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 23:37:06 »
I'm very curious to see how stiff this will be. 5mm plate is already super stiff. Another layer of brass beneath would be monstrously stiff.

But perhaps that's not so bad given the right switch. Hmm...

Offline snevok

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 00:56:35 »
Looks really cool. I think it might need some work in areas - currently there is no space for the PCB, since your plate is very thick.

I guess you know that already, but I’d like to see how you plan on making it thinner while still mounting it on top of the brass support, especially since there are no standoffs in this design.

It might not look like it, but there definitely is room in there for switches and a PCB.  With tight tolerances and a 5mm plate, it gives it the illusion that there's zero room for anything in there.

I'm very curious to see how stiff this will be. 5mm plate is already super stiff. Another layer of brass beneath would be monstrously stiff.

Flex with gaskets is absolutely the craze right now, and for good reason.  It has the ability to make some switches feel and sound great, and the bounciness of the plate can make tactile switches a lot of fun to use.  That being said, stiff plates definitely have their place in the hobby and deserve more attention than they've gotten lately.

My last MX board was a TYL 4mm brass plate with heavily modified UHMWPE Tealios, and I can easily say it was my personal favorite linear board that I've used.  The denseness of the plate made it sound quieter yet much quicker and deeper with less reverb, and the rigidity made for an extremely snappy and predictably satisfying bottom out.  All of these qualities will be exemplified in the Albatross. 

That being said, builds this stiff and dense definitely aren't for everyone.  Personally, I really enjoy the key feel predictability and tighter sound profile of a thicker, denser, and stiffer plate and overall build.

Sorry if that ramble doesn't make any sense, I tried to compact it as far down as I could lmao.  I could've easily typed paragraphs on paragraphs about how the feel and sound compare (especially if I still had two examples in front of me).

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 00:59:58 »
Here's a board that can take 100% of your stimulus check in one go.

Offline huey

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 04:50:54 »
I'm quite concerned about how much room you have left for the PCB + Switch pins in that design. There is fair bit of material there that you can get rid of to make more room under the plate for not only clearance but sound too.

The USB cut-out could also do with some optimisation. The USB-C cut-out size is easily google-able and there doesn't need to be more room there(to allow for flex) as you are going to be using the stiffest plate  known to mankind.

That brings me nicely onto the plate. HARD pass from me;  But if that's what you want, then go for it.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 05:50:15 »
Those are certainly some nice curves. As is with how much you expect the weight to be, the weight alone costs more than my board  :p

I think you could easily get rid of some material to leave room for other important components while still keeping the board an absolute chonker.

Even if there is room for the PCB like someone mentioned, depending on how nice of a soldering job someone does, there's always the chance you could get a short from weight + PCB contact, which obviously isn't great.

Offline UltimateCheeze

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 10:23:55 »
Interesting and innovative. I love it.
Will you offer an all aluminium option? all that brass will add a lot of extra cost where some people would prefer a some bright anodised aluminium. or maybe a carbon fiber midpiece. You dont have to do any of that, but just throwing the idea out there

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 11:12:38 »

Flex with gaskets is absolutely the craze right now, and for good reason.  It has the ability to make some switches feel and sound great, and the bounciness of the plate can make tactile switches a lot of fun to use.  That being said, stiff plates definitely have their place in the hobby and deserve more attention than they've gotten lately.

My last MX board was a TYL 4mm brass plate with heavily modified UHMWPE Tealios, and I can easily say it was my personal favorite linear board that I've used.  The denseness of the plate made it sound quieter yet much quicker and deeper with less reverb, and the rigidity made for an extremely snappy and predictably satisfying bottom out.  All of these qualities will be exemplified in the Albatross. 

That being said, builds this stiff and dense definitely aren't for everyone.  Personally, I really enjoy the key feel predictability and tighter sound profile of a thicker, denser, and stiffer plate and overall build.

Sorry if that ramble doesn't make any sense, I tried to compact it as far down as I could lmao.  I could've easily typed paragraphs on paragraphs about how the feel and sound compare (especially if I still had two examples in front of me).

Yeah, I totally see your point. I think I just need to try the right linears on a stiff plate and I could see myself actually really liking it. I need to try some healios or creams or something like that which have the cushioned bottom-out feel to them with this build!

Offline beekey

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 12:05:15 »
HHKB top?

Offline dibkib

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 12:06:15 »
Depending on the colours of I might get one!

Offline snevok

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 12:42:13 »
I'm quite concerned about how much room you have left for the PCB + Switch pins in that design. There is fair bit of material there that you can get rid of to make more room under the plate for not only clearance but sound too.

The USB cut-out could also do with some optimisation. The USB-C cut-out size is easily google-able and there doesn't need to be more room there(to allow for flex) as you are going to be using the stiffest plate  known to mankind.

That brings me nicely onto the plate. HARD pass from me;  But if that's what you want, then go for it.

Those are certainly some nice curves. As is with how much you expect the weight to be, the weight alone costs more than my board  :p

I think you could easily get rid of some material to leave room for other important components while still keeping the board an absolute chonker.

Even if there is room for the PCB like someone mentioned, depending on how nice of a soldering job someone does, there's always the chance you could get a short from weight + PCB contact, which obviously isn't great.

I'll reply to both you and the guy below at the same time since your messages were pretty similar.  One reason the space below the PCB looks so small is because the plate actually extends around the edges of the PCB (you can see it in the second picture of the below assembly).  Luckily with such a stiff plate, there also doesn't have to be nearly as much space below the PCB to account for flex.  Something like the Fjell has 5mm standoffs below the plate (iirc), while this has 3mm below the PCB.  MX keys have 3.3mm switch pins, and there's 4.57mm of space below the bottom of the plate, which leaves 1.27mm below the MX switch pins.  This would be too close for a regular board, but such a stiff plate and case should not be able to flex anywhere close to that much, and in the countless keyboards (and other things( I've soldered, I've never had any solder reaching past the pins, let alone by over a full mm.  As for sound, I've noticed that thicker plates sound better and more full with less open space in the case. 

I don't want this to sound condescending or aggressive, just want to show that I've looked at it from all angles to make sure that there's space for everything.  That being said, of course the design will be altered if I notice there is a cause for concern when the prototypes arrive.  After all, that is what prototypes are for (:

Also regarding the PCB cutout, completely ignore it lol.  Soon after I posted the IC, I was contacted by Gondo who will be customizing one of his PCBs for this board.  That slot will be entirely removed, in its place a flush USB-C daughterboard centered on the bottom of the case here:
More

Also like I said, a hard plate definitely isn't for everyone.  Certain keyboards are just better suited for certain people, which is part of the fun of this hobby (:

Interesting and innovative. I love it.
Will you offer an all aluminium option? all that brass will add a lot of extra cost where some people would prefer a some bright anodised aluminium. or maybe a carbon fiber midpiece. You dont have to do any of that, but just throwing the idea out there

Adding different accent options would be awesome in an ideal world, but doing so would add far too many options to the GB. 
For example: if I have 4 different aluminum color options, brass and aluminum weight, and standard+hhkb top, that would come out to be a solid 40 different case combinations, compared to just 8 combinations with only brass.  I want things to be as controllable as possible not only for me, but for vendors and the manufacturer as well.

HHKB top?

Based on the responses in the Google form, it's looking pretty likely. 

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 02:42:21 »
Id personally like to see .75 WKL blockers. It would look sooo good!

Offline Obstsalatjaa

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 06:10:43 »
You said that you like the deep, dense sound of a keyboard. I think that kinda grows in popularity in this community recently, which I am all in for. I see how that thick plate will contribute to that. Now with your rounded edges it gives me kind of  a soothing(smooth) expectation of the board. I think a less dense, softer plate could improve type feel. A polypropylene(PP) plate may enhaces it.

Offline snevok

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 12:06:13 »
You said that you like the deep, dense sound of a keyboard. I think that kinda grows in popularity in this community recently, which I am all in for. I see how that thick plate will contribute to that. Now with your rounded edges it gives me kind of  a soothing(smooth) expectation of the board. I think a less dense, softer plate could improve type feel. A polypropylene(PP) plate may enhaces it.

I've thought about it a lot, and am strongly considering offering some sort of plastic plate and weight alongside the brass. I'll have to ask what other materials the manu uses.

Offline yhs

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 16:59:39 »
Responded to form. Following.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 19:29:36 »
Responded to form. Following here and plebbit. In.

Offline 0TTIM0

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 15:39:05 »
Dig the concept. It'll be a weighty beast for sure!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 13:30:04 »
Amazing price -> ✓
Nice design -> ✓
Brass everywhere -> ✓
Could be used as a weapon -> ✓

i'm not a 60% user, can't use anything under 65%, but i might take this anyway. If this was a 65% it would be an instant buy for me. 

Offline snevok

Re: [IC] Albatross, A Premium Rounded 60% (Prototype Ordered)
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:45:20 »
Just finished updating the post with some more recent information! 

Also added a TL;DR of what's been happening and what's changed in my reserved reply.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 15:34:38 »
Thanks for your update! I’m wondering if you also have an update for colors? And finish: anodized? powder coat? cerakote? textured enamel (think Smith Corona crinkle finish)?

I’d probably also be in for a less stiff plate along with the brass one, if you decide to offer it, in case I decide to mix things up. (Really, 5mm? Wow, in a good way.)

:thumb:

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 03:45:42 »
If only this was a 65%... One can dream.

Offline its.ae

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 08:00:25 »
This looks amazing! Do you have an estimated GB date?

Offline snevok

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 12:40:11 »
Thanks for your update! I’m wondering if you also have an update for colors? And finish: anodized? powder coat? cerakote? textured enamel (think Smith Corona crinkle finish)?

I’d probably also be in for a less stiff plate along with the brass one, if you decide to offer it, in case I decide to mix things up. (Really, 5mm? Wow, in a good way.)

:thumb:

planned colors were buried in the update.  i was hoping to offer black, blue-grey, white, pink, and purple, but the manu i'm using doesn't offer any e-coating services. because of that, white will likely be replaced with silver.  if you've got any other suggestions, feel free to let me know (:

doing some sort of paint would open up many more color and finish options, but i've decided against doing it for a few reasons.  it'd add a whole separate facility to the mix, which would add shipping costs and more opportunity for cases to be damaged.  also, with the strange way the case fits together, accurate tolerances are a must.  paint, especially something textured, leaves too much room for some sort of fitment error.  on top of that, since this is my first large GB, i'd like to keep it as under control for me as possible.  adding more colors and finish options will just end up complicating things on my end.

a less stiff plate also isn't really possible with this design, mainly since it's a structural part of the case.  i've got a few other designs i'm working on that would pair much better with a more forgiving plate.

This looks amazing! Do you have an estimated GB date?

not yet, still waiting for the prototype to finish production and arrive so i can make any needed changes.  if all goes well, my goal is to get the GB thread started soon after it arrives, and hopefully start the actual GB sometime in July. 

this is still extremely tentative though and could easily change. 

If only this was a 65%... One can dream.

a lot of people have asked, but i've got no plans for any 65s.  i'm currently only working on boards that i'd use on a day to day basis, and 65's aren't included in that category ):

Offline thethomaszhou

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 14:25:10 »
planned colors were buried in the update.  i was hoping to offer black, blue-grey, white, pink, and purple, but the manu i'm using doesn't offer any e-coating services. because of that, white will likely be replaced with silver.  if you've got any other suggestions, feel free to let me know (:

oh no, no white? i was really looking forward to getting a white board this time around, is there really no way to get white?
and what's this blue-grey color? is there a sample/example image as to what youre going for?

Offline ufomer

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 14:46:35 »
Looks great! Hopefully the GB is later rather than sooner so I can actually afford it lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline snevok

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 15:50:51 »

oh no, no white? i was really looking forward to getting a white board this time around, is there really no way to get white?
and what's this blue-grey color? is there a sample/example image as to what youre going for?

i was really looking forward to white too, and i really wish it was possible to offer it.  i might end up doing a separate smaller run of all white boards so that it's less of a hassle for both me and the manu.

it's basically just grey but with a slight tint of blue. i can't seem to find their sample picture right now, but their blue-grey is very similar to this: http://cfile27.uf.tistory.com/image/2133443C52E50B910A2AB4.  some of my all time favorite boards have this color, it's absolutely gorgeous in person.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:15:01 »
RIP white  :'(

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:24:51 »
i heard pink im in
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 23:03:17 »
i have a question

why is there a 5mm plate and also flex cuts

other than that this is very nice

nevermind i just read the "for future cases" in the post thank you and good luck
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline azzipa

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 11:29:53 »
I’m digging your color choices and the pink looks really good  :thumb:

Offline KFOXE

Re: [IC] Albatross, A Premium Rounded 60% (Updated 6/6/20)
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 16:49:59 »
Do you plan on limiting how many kits are sold during the GB? Really interested in trying to get my hands on a purple kit.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 18:14:32 »
Interesting
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 22:12:22 »

It's all preference.  I hate the vagueness of a spongy board and when I see something like this I get excited :)
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline snevok

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 22:45:10 »

It's all preference.  I hate the vagueness of a spongy board and when I see something like this I get excited :)

That's exactly where I'm at haha.  Flex can be fun, but it's nice to mix things up since there are so many flexy boards out there.  I tried my first 5mm brass plate a few months back, and instantly fell in love with how different it felt.  The harsh bottom out caused me bottom out less, making me type faster and gentler.  I also liked how consistent it was across the board; every single key sounded and felt the same.  Just talking about it is making me excited for the prototype to come in ((:

Do you plan on limiting how many kits are sold during the GB? Really interested in trying to get my hands on a purple kit.

Most likely yes, but nothing crazy small (exact amount still TBD).  Not to keep it exclusive, but to make sure things are manageable on my end.  I'm just a single guy doing this as a hobby, and the last thing I want are extensive delays due to me being overwhelmed with orders.

If the demand is there, future runs will be done (likely between other projects) to make sure that the aftermarket stays relatively low and remains obtainable. 

Offline thethomaszhou

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 04:05:27 »
Daaamn, the prototype is looking goooooood. Can't wait to see it all come together!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 14:17:51 »
Daaamn, the prototype is looking goooooood. Can't wait to see it all come together!
Oh snap, I missed that in the updates. Looks clean and very nice anodizing! Are they going to post the parts assembled together as well?

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 14:23:51 »
I missed the prototypes too - omg look how thick that plate is!  BIGLY IN
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline jjoejimmy

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:06:59 »
That is one THICK plate. Curious to hear a sound test from the prototype!

Offline Madrai

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 18:50:15 »
Is there a discord for this yet? Apologies if I missed it somewhere. Really liking the tight fit and thick plate. Really wanted to try the Zephyr since it had 5mm Brass, but never got the chance.