Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 222763 times)

Offline Electrum

Re: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 00:41:20 »
Has anyone from 200+ acrylic order received their melody?

241/242, still waiting.

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #551 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 01:13:12 »
Invoice 248 here. With Titanium Gray top and acrylic bottom and I live in SoCol. No info yet about shipping. Only contact I received was when Vincent asked if I wanted to keep the acrylic bottom back on May 21st. So I am patiently waiting.

Offline spyruf

« Reply #552 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 02:03:31 »
Haven't received mine yet, but anyone know what the compatibility is like with holtites/Kailh PCB sockets? I'm not gonna have access to a soldering gun for another month or two
You can't put kailh sockets on this, dude. You need special pcbs for those.

Yeah, that's why I asked---since I don't know if this PCB was made with Kailh sockets or holtites in mind, and haven't seen it mentioned, I figured I'd see if someone else had tried.

Holtites are a no go for this board. I tried the ones from Zeal and they fall right out. Cut to me buying a soldering station and learning how to solder. Lol. This damn hobby.

did you try the copper tape mod? seems doable since the holes are 1-2mm larger than the hotlines.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 June 2018, 12:18:46 by spyruf »

Offline azachhh

« Reply #553 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 02:22:44 »
Invoice 248 here. With Titanium Gray top and acrylic bottom and I live in SoCol. No info yet about shipping. Only contact I received was when Vincent asked if I wanted to keep the acrylic bottom back on May 21st. So I am patiently waiting.

I am 102 and 126 with acrylic bottom. One gold top, one blue. Got my shipping notification on Friday.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #554 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 03:48:12 »
Haven't received mine yet, but anyone know what the compatibility is like with holtites/Kailh PCB sockets? I'm not gonna have access to a soldering gun for another month or two

Yeah, that's why I asked---since I don't know if this PCB was made with Kailh sockets or holtites in mind, and haven't seen it mentioned, I figured I'd see if someone else had tried.

Holtites are a no go for this board. I tried the ones from Zeal and they fall right out. Cut to me buying a soldering station and learning how to solder. Lol. This damn hobby.
You know holtites are supposed to be soldered in, right?
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #555 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 04:50:35 »

Hey HADHAYOSH, wait a moment before you do a mess.

1) Holtites for switches that you have are NOT supposed to be soldered in. Usually these holtites fits or not fits inside the hole, the whole point of using these sockets is to not solder anything (eventually just few holtites on half-holes necessary for multiple layouts)

2) Said that, you can actually solder them, many people does that when they discover that the pcb doesn't support holtites without soldering, however these needs to be soldered in a particular.

3) Since you said it is your first soldering experience, i really don't suggest to solder holtites, you might do a big mess. That type of holtites are not closed on the back, so if you solder these sockets like you solder switches, you will most likely fill them with solder on the internal part of the holtite, making it unusable and difficult to remove.

4) If you want to proceed, i can explain you how you are supposed to solder holtites without doing a big mess, but again i do NOT suggest to do so, unless you have a lot of time (200 holtites soldered in a particular way) and have a good soldering experience already. Let me know.

Offline HADHAYOSH

« Reply #556 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 15:16:44 »

1) Holtites for switches that you have are NOT supposed to be soldered in. Usually these holtites fits or not fits inside the hole, the whole point of using these sockets is to not solder anything (eventually just few holtites on half-holes necessary for multiple layouts)

2) Said that, you can actually solder them, many people does that when they discover that the pcb doesn't support holtites without soldering, however these needs to be soldered in a particular.

3) Since you said it is your first soldering experience, i really don't suggest to solder holtites, you might do a big mess. That type of holtites are not closed on the back, so if you solder these sockets like you solder switches, you will most likely fill them with solder on the internal part of the holtite, making it unusable and difficult to remove.

4) If you want to proceed, i can explain you how you are supposed to solder holtites without doing a big mess, but again i do NOT suggest to do so, unless you have a lot of time (200 holtites soldered in a particular way) and have a good soldering experience already. Let me know.

Thanks for the help. I actually do have a bit of soldering experience, but probably not enough that I'd be confident soldering holtites. Main thing now is that without a soldering gun (a relative has it, and is out of town), I was hoping for a solder-free way to get it working. If I'm gonna have to solder it either way, I'll just do it the regular way.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #557 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 16:01:45 »

Thanks for the help. I actually do have a bit of soldering experience, but probably not enough that I'd be confident soldering holtites. Main thing now is that without a soldering gun (a relative has it, and is out of town), I was hoping for a solder-free way to get it working. If I'm gonna have to solder it either way, I'll just do it the regular way.

Yeah at this point i suggest to solder it yourself directly without holtites.  Just pay attention to your stabilizers, remember to lube and clip them and make sure you bought cherry genuine stabs and not chinese stabs. Just a reminding because once you solder 100 switch, will be a pain later to change or mod the stabs. 

Offline Broseph

« Reply #558 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 17:41:56 »
I've put mine together and everything is working except for one key (tilde/grave key), I tried flashing a new keymap in case and it didn't work. I also tried shorting the pads and nothing registered so it's not the switch. I don't know how to tell if a component is damaged or defective. https://i.imgur.com/HiYmUbn.jpg?1

Could it be because of that possible bridge on the left smds? Or something is wrong with the keymap?

Offline Astralou

« Reply #559 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 20:41:36 »
M111 and still no shipping update. Confirmed shipping info like 3 weeks ago and still nothing. 125 days since I ordered.
Can we get any update from Vincent? Please

Offline truong3016

« Reply #560 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 21:31:56 »
some pics from our friend in VNMK, mine is still waiting to be assem though (our buck orders M200s, just received them last Friday, about 13 boards, both alu and acrylic bot )

197831-0197833-1197835-2197837-3

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #561 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 01:33:18 »
Seeing all these pics is getting me excited for mine. Cant wait to get a confirmation

Offline Mustangdvx

« Reply #562 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 06:32:33 »

did you try the copper tape mod? seems doable since the holes are 1-2mm larger than the hotlines.

I bought the copper tape, but ultimately decided learning how to solder would be more beneficial (and cheaper) in the long run in case I build another board.

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #563 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 08:33:48 »
Was my board supposed  o come with rubber feet for here?

If not, what is the best thing to buy to use as feet?  It slides all over the place.

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #564 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:28:21 »
I haven't received my keyboard yet, but you can search on Amazon for "non-slip bumpons"

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #565 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 13:29:58 »
Was my board supposed  o come with rubber feet for here?

Show Image

If not, what is the best thing to buy to use as feet?  It slides all over the place.

Yes,  did you checked properly the package? the feets are usually not already sticked on the board but are always included. 

If you can't find it in the package somewhere (check properly), just contact Vincent. 

Offline Bizpit

« Reply #566 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 17:48:35 »
Order #229, gold top with purple bottom.

Mine shipped out on Saturday, super hyped for this to arrive.

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #567 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 18:27:15 »
Alright, yet another programming question from someone who's never done this before.

I just want to make sure I don't brick anything.

Following the instructions provided by Vincent, I have the json file, which I've uploaded to kbfirmware.com

The instructions say I can change the layout there, I know I can configure each of the selected keys, but I can't adjust the actual layout with how many keys i.e. three 1u keys instead of two 1.5u keys, or a 2u backspace.

I know I can do that on keyboard-layout-editor.com and can upload that to KFB, I just want to know if the official json and wiring diagram are essential to programming this thing. 

If I build my ideal layout, then take it into KFB, without using the official me96.json, then go through the rest of the instructions, is that going to mess me up?

Offline alexsthomas

« Reply #568 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 19:42:06 »
It's done, once my pulse set arrives it's end game for me. Also hyped that my USB C to Mini B adapter works. Has Titanium gray top and bottom, brass weight and plate, lubed Zealios 67g, Genuine Cherry Stabs that have been clipped, lubed and band aid modded, Maxkey SA Cyan on White with a KF Cyanara, Primecaps Neptune's Crest TRDL, BroCaps Patriot Reaper v1 and a Koicaps blue key.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Do you have a link for the usb-c to mini b adapter?

Offline timzilla

« Reply #569 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 20:26:18 »
Got my kit today (Order 226, kit 2 Black top/Gold Bottom) - received a message from DHL Sat saying delivery tuesday, but delivered a day early.  Tested the PCB and it works with USB A--> USB C cable, but doesnt seem to with a USB C to USB C.  I only have one C to C cable close by, but wasnt sure if anyone had actually used it C to C?

Offline superuser41

« Reply #570 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 21:24:37 »
Alright, yet another programming question from someone who's never done this before.

Following the instructions provided by Vincent, I have the json file, which I've uploaded to kbfirmware.com

The instructions say I can change the layout there, I know I can configure each of the selected keys, but I can't adjust the actual layout with how many keys i.e. three 1u keys instead of two 1.5u keys, or a 2u backspace.

I know I can do that on keyboard-layout-editor.com and can upload that to KFB, I just want to know if the official json and wiring diagram are essential to programming this thing. 

If I build my ideal layout, then take it into KFB, without using the official me96.json, then go through the rest of the instructions, is that going to mess me up?

The wiring diagram and pin selections are extremely critical to proper operation. The official JSON is just a way of providing the wiring and layout in a portable format, nothing precludes you from rebuilding it yourself if you really want to. The JSON from earlier in this thread has all three switch positions in the lower-right modifier section (and all other switch positions), but you don't need to USE all three of those, nor do they have to be the right size in the layout shown. I would map the right two to what you want your singular right modifier in a 1.5/1.5 configuration to be, for example, and then verify that it's mapped correctly when flashed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2018, 21:27:20 by superuser41 »

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #571 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 01:13:00 »

Yes,  did you checked properly the package? the feets are usually not already sticked on the board but are always included. 

If you can't find it in the package somewhere (check properly), just contact Vincent.

I checked the package again thoroughly and have found nothing.  I will contact Vincent.

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #572 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 01:15:46 »

The wiring diagram and pin selections are extremely critical to proper operation. The official JSON is just a way of providing the wiring and layout in a portable format, nothing precludes you from rebuilding it yourself if you really want to. The JSON from earlier in this thread has all three switch positions in the lower-right modifier section (and all other switch positions), but you don't need to USE all three of those, nor do they have to be the right size in the layout shown. I would map the right two to what you want your singular right modifier in a 1.5/1.5 configuration to be, for example, and then verify that it's mapped correctly when flashed.

Gotcha!  I went through the tedious process of copying all the values from the official json into another layout and learned a lot.  Bit what you’re saying is that since the official one has all the keys already, its a hell of a lot easier to just map the extra unused keys as whatever we’re going to replace it with anyway, since only a single switch would be going into, say, a 2u backspace.  Doesnt matter what the other “key is mapped to since its only the one switch.

Thank you for explaining that!  I like to make things way too complicated my first time out.

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #573 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 03:47:44 »
Just received my bulk order last week
Everything looks nice and smooth
There is some tiny problems but I can fixed it easily

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #574 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 04:21:44 »
Has anyone heard anything about/or got shipping notifications from Candykeys yet?

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #575 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 09:10:09 »
any way to get one of these or anyone trying to sell one?

Offline jihadu

« Reply #576 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:25:01 »
Has anyone heard anything about/or got shipping notifications from Candykeys yet?
Nothing so far afaik.

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #577 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:32:52 »
I got a spare gold alu kit but the shipping's just a pain in the a**

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #578 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:35:33 »

mind if i send you a message? pretty interested,

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #579 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 11:41:37 »

mind if i send you a message? pretty interested,
haha, ok bro
let's see if we can make it
pm'ed

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #580 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:30:44 »
Just received my bulk order last week
Everything looks nice and smooth
There is some tiny problems but I can fixed it easily

Did you bought every color lol? 

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #581 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 15:31:23 »
Nothing so far afaik.

Candykeys should be the last guys. 

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 20:35:23 »
Did you bought every color lol?
Almost haha

Offline TJSN

« Reply #583 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 00:03:41 »
Has anyone from 200+ acrylic order received their melody?

203 here! Just got mine today. Titanium grey top and acrylic bottom, located in Singapore.

Offline CallumMcG

« Reply #584 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 04:43:07 »
It's done, once my pulse set arrives it's end game for me. Also hyped that my USB C to Mini B adapter works. Has Titanium gray top and bottom, brass weight and plate, lubed Zealios 67g, Genuine Cherry Stabs that have been clipped, lubed and band aid modded, Maxkey SA Cyan on White with a KF Cyanara, Primecaps Neptune's Crest TRDL, BroCaps Patriot Reaper v1 and a Koicaps blue key.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Do you have a link for the usb-c to mini b adapter?
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-5Pin-Female-to-USB-C-Type-C-Male-charge-Data-Adapter/232435225455?epid=21006063357&hash=item361e38136f:g:1p8AAOSwJhdZhDR5

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #585 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 14:12:51 »
So I just finished soldering everything but I'm having an issue where multiple keys are registering when pressing certain keys. So far it looks like this:

N = |ZXCVB
 J = ASDFG
 U =    qwert
 7 = `12345
 0 = */\=-
 P = -98
 ; = :+65\'4
 . ?=

I tested the PCB prior to soldering the switches and didnt encounter this issue FYI.

Here's some pics of my lackluster soldering job, hopefully someone here can spot what might be causing this. Any help would be appreciated!

198003-0198005-1198007-2

EDIT:  Never mind! I finally spotted the errant solder which was causing the shorts. Typing this edit now with the Melody. Will post pics in a bit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2018, 14:15:32 by happycamper87 »

Offline boytuhog

« Reply #586 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:00:47 »
Just received mine yesterday, and was wondering if any usb type-c cable be enough.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #587 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 20:40:18 »
Hello all, I got the Configurator to work with melody96

Check it out at https://config.qmk.fm/#/melody96/LAYOUT

If you need a text based guide, please refer to this: https://github.com/mechmerlin/qmk_setup/blob/master/qmk_configurator.md

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #588 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 20:56:21 »
Thx merlin! Now I just got to wait for mine to ship.

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #589 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 21:23:47 »
Hello all, I got the Configurator to work with melody96

Check it out at https://config.qmk.fm/#/melody96/LAYOUT

If you need a text based guide, please refer to this: https://github.com/mechmerlin/qmk_setup/blob/master/qmk_configurator.md
Thanks Merlin, I really need that

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #590 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 02:08:13 »
Here's a few pics for posterity  :))

Pretty happy I went with Cyan and the acrylic bottom

198044-0198046-1 [ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:03:16 »
Numpad Enter key is not working. My solder points look fine, could be the switch but I noticed the (resistor?) is a little crooked. Does it look like that could be causing me the issue? Does that specific one impact the numpad enter key? Should I try changing out the switch first?

Thanks,

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #592 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:36:46 »
Numpad Enter key is not working. My solder points look fine, could be the switch but I noticed the (resistor?) is a little crooked. Does it look like that could be causing me the issue? Does that specific one impact the numpad enter key? Should I try changing out the switch first?

Thanks,

Did you test the PCB prior to soldering the switch? If you tested the PCB everything works, it might be something like else.

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #593 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:51:57 »

Thanks,
Have you try to remapping the kb?
I got a bunch of pcb have some keys not functional, after remapping they work just fine

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #594 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:57:09 »

Thanks,
Have you try to remapping the kb?
I got a bunch of pcb have some keys not functional, after remapping they work just fine

I've remapped it to couple of different options and nothing is registering in keyboard tester. All other keys seem to work fine.

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:58:31 »

Thanks,

Did you test the PCB prior to soldering the switch? If you tested the PCB everything works, it might be something like else.

I didn't test the pcb before soldering the switches.

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #596 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:34:35 »
Try desoldering the switch and shorting the switch pcb pads with tweezers and see if it works. If it still doesn't work, there might be an issue with the pcb and i recommend emailing vincent to let him know.

Offline pootsounds

« Reply #597 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 10:48:17 »
10-4 Thanks for the help.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #598 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:12:22 »

Thanks,

Desolder and resolder the crooked dude. most likely is this (i had the same issue with another board). You should have some new replacements for it.

Also a tip for the future,  test pcb before soldering (i believe the pcb it's fine, just solder a new one in a straight way)

Offline unluckygamer

« Reply #599 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 23:05:42 »
I am order 236 with gray top and acrylic bottom and I just received my package. It seems that I received my package (11) before the tracking (14). Well looks like I will need to buy a soldering iron now
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 23:17:08 by unluckygamer »