Author Topic: Thank you GH  (Read 3040 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Thank you GH
« on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 14:28:58 »
I just wanted to post a quick note to say: Thank you Geekhack.

When I first started hanging around here, I didn't know much at all about keyboards. I typed on mechanicals through the late '80s and the '90s, and always enjoyed them—but like most of the world, I was seduced away from them by cheap and plentiful rubber-dome boards, and the false idea that clickiness 'n' clackiness was passé.

Now I'm restoring some of my own MK's and having a great time. I've learned so much, and I've been super-impressed by everyone's knowledge and friendliness here. It's also been fantastic being exposed to the great variety and richness of KB technology, history, and modding (which we used to call "customization"—now, where'd I leave my walker??).

At first I was confused by the wacky, often sardonic humour. And sure, some people have personalities that are a bit "stronger" (LOL) than others. but I quickly realized that everyone's basically having a great time sharing such a unique and addictive interest.

Dorkvader, Snowdog993 and fohat.digs are just a few of the people who've been especially kind and helpful. They're also some of the smartest and most interesting guys I've ever known. There are many more exceptionally smart and experienced people here too (you know who you are, buh ha ha).

So, thanks again. If anyone else would like to chime in with general GH gratitude, feel free.

(BTW, sorry I inadvertently locked the topic after I started it... Duh!)
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 17:59:27 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Thank you GH
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 09:21:33 »
Now I'm restoring some of my own MK's and having a great time. I've learned so much, and I've been super-impressed by everyone's knowledge and friendliness here. It's also been fantastic being exposed to the great variety and richness of KB technology, history, and modding.

that's why i'm still here. the community we have at GH is an excellent one. i have also learned a lot since i joined, and i have more yet. thanks GH!

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 10:12:27 »
Yeah, this place is kind of awesome.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 14:01:28 »
When I first joined, I felt isolated and didn't feel like I could contribute anything that everyone else already has covered.  I did join and did a lot of intensive reading and did some catching up.  I did realize that maybe some of the things I have experienced and have done in the past might actually be helpful to others here.

I really have HoffmanMyster and HWood34 and a few others to thank.  Even though I have thought I have known some things, there was a lot I didn't know.  I have eaten humble pie many times, thinking I did.

The best part about this place are the people here.  Without them and their help, I guess I would be a bit opinionated, (in the wrong way, I might add) and have left.  I think what really kept me here was actually contributing what I do know and learning from others what I don't. 

Geekhack still has a hold on me.  It's sometimes the little obvious things that are overlooked sometimes.  Sometimes spinning your wheels trying to figure out why something isn't working the way it should, just defines the insane way of getting nothing really accomplished.  Mentioning it here, things actually do get done.  The end result is knowledge.

That is a good thing.  Everyone benefits from that.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:10:04 »
But Reddit has shoes in their keyboard pics. Can you beat that?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:16:23 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:22:42 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 21:33:00 »

Show Image

I have no words.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:30:09 »
What about the mouse?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 10:57:23 »

Show Image

Lol. Please tell me spacebar requires thumbing yourself in the balls.

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:04:44 »
GH is an excellent forum, all the GHers are really really nice. I did a lot of trading with many different GHers here, none of them had an issue.

I enjoy surfing GH so much, but my wallet hates it so much.  ;) ;)

Thanks to all and long live GeekHack.  (My son will be a new member in 15 years or so.) ;D ;D
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:41:25 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:45:00 »
What about the mouse?

Joystick?

I'm not sure, but it does look like a button device in the upper right corner of that picture.  I am supposing/guessing that there is some sort of trackpad device on there too.  Whatever works.  Someone was desperate.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 02:58:37 »
Thanks to all and long live GeekHack.  (My son will be a new member in 15 years or so.) ;D ;D

Aha! So there is a genetic basis to KB obsession—I knew it. This lets us all off the hook. Gentlemen, start your credit cards!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 03:09:38 »

I need to come by and give this comment a BIG like  :thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:53:46 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:20:10 »
BTW, if any of my posts on GH have seemed intentionally annoying, I hope you'll give me the benefit of the doubt. Among other things, I'm a creative writer, and with the great changes that have come to media in the last couple of decades, it's become much harder to do that professionally (because now anyone can publish—which is both good and bad).

When I do have a chance to sit down and write these days, and I know people will read it, sometimes I go a bit wacky. It's just the creative stuff building up and needing a release. (Yikes, this is starting to sound nasty.)

You guys sure mean a lot to me. I sincerely appreciate all the help and enthusiasm you've sent my way, and I sorry if I've made any goofy noob and/or frustrated-writer gaffes. – A.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 05:03:12 »
I don't creatively or professionally write (other than excerpts from the occasional user manual), but sometimes I do find myself typing short stories into posts instead of just one or two words.

If I had more time I would probably post somewhat more loquaciously ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 02:47:18 »
But then on the plus side, we are KB maniacs—so why would we own 'em if we didn't use 'em?  :?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 05:51:52 »
B-b-b-b-but using them wears the switches out :eek:

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:54:12 »

Show Image

Giant upside-down enter key?
What kind of witchcraft layout is this?  :confused:

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:01:24 »
Seconded! Most everyone here has been incredibly helpful. I came here knowing next to nothing. I still know next to nothing, but I've found a couple of keyboards (HHKB, and Type Heaven) I really like, and lightened my wallet a bit in the process :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:04:56 by dchadwick »