Author Topic: [GB] GMK NorDeUK (Closed; postmortem inside)  (Read 37388 times)

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
[GB] GMK NorDeUK (Closed; postmortem inside)
« on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:53:57 »
163487-0

---
Closed. Original post below:

Price: €119,47 (of which €12,5 is profit margin)
International shipping: €15,50 (€134,97 total)
Swedish shipping: €10,00 (€129,47 total)

GMK NorDeUK (pronounced noor-doik) is an effort to bring a GMK set to a large portion of the western European community by providing a cheap, ISO based keyset shipped within Europe. ISO UK, DE, SE/FI, NO, and DK are all covered almost perfectly!

Progress:
  • Invoicing & payment ← We are here
  • Place order with GMK - Done approx. April 24th
  • Wait for manufacturing - Done approx. July 24th
  • Receiving and packaging - Done approx. August 7th
  • Shipping - Done approx. August 21st
  • Issue resolution - Done approx. September 21st
  • Selling extras - Done approx. Oct 5th

Order progress: 47/150
Invoices are due April 19th
Please submit a few days before that! You can always wait with paying.

---

Read the Interest Check
Other threads: /r/MechanicalKeyboards, /r/Mechmarket, Deskthority

---

I’m aware that I said the profit margin would be €10 in the Interest Check. It was raised to €12.5 in order to cover PayPal fees, which I didn’t quite account for.

I’ll be posting weekly updates here (with exception of the waiting period) in order to keep the GB as transparent as I can!

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask here or PM me!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 03:42:24 by Krakob »
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
Re: [GB] GMK NorDeUK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 15:24:45 »
Live at last! We have a long way to go for MOQ, but it's entirely possible! ;)
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 05:34:33 »
Would it be possible to pay through SEPA to save some PayPal fees?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:09:01 »
good luck with your gb, i would love to order if it was any other colorway but i just have so so many cherry white on black sets, but great to see someone pushing an iso set with a clear direction and excellent well thought out compatibility

i wish you every success
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline longtran1568

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:31:03 »
Hi,

I live in Finland, is shipping to Finland also qualified as International? Even the cheapest shipping option (sent as large letter) will deliver in 1 week between Sweden and Finland.

Would you consider another, cheaper shipping option for people in neighboring countries like Finland and Norway?  ;D

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 06:59:32 »
I'm not familiar with the system but from what I gather it's a direct bank transfer, correct? We could absolutely arrange that! Pop me a PM with a bit of an explanation, and send an invoice request (just mention SEPA in the special requests field).

good luck with your gb, i would love to order if it was any other colorway but i just have so so many cherry white on black sets, but great to see someone pushing an iso set with a clear direction and excellent well thought out compatibility

i wish you every success

Thank you! :)

Hi,

I live in Finland, is shipping to Finland also qualified as International? Even the cheapest shipping option (sent as large letter) will deliver in 1 week between Sweden and Finland.

Would you consider another, cheaper shipping option for people in neighboring countries like Finland and Norway?  ;D
Only Sweden counts as domestic, all others are international. I'm not entirely sure an envelope would be possible given the dimensions and need for padding. From what I can tell from PostNord's shipping calculator, tracked and insured is the cheapest option anyway.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 14:40:51 »
I'm not familiar with the system but from what I gather it's a direct bank transfer, correct? We could absolutely arrange that! Pop me a PM with a bit of an explanation, and send an invoice request (just mention SEPA in the special requests field).
I submitted my order but I decided to pay with PayPal anyway, it will be less of a hassle for the both of us if things change.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:25:01 »
I submitted my order but I decided to pay with PayPal anyway, it will be less of a hassle for the both of us if things change.

Keep up the good work.
Alrighty! Glad to have you aboard!  :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:27:15 »
Glad to have you aboard!  :D
My pleasure.

Offline kevral

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 01:10:14 »
Any chance you can send "Poste Restante" within Sweden?

Asking because that would let me pick it up in Strφmstad and take it across the border to Norway myself, legally avoiding 25 % additional taxes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2017, 01:30:24 by kevral »

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 03:20:16 »
Any chance you can send "Poste Restante" within Sweden?

Asking because that would let me pick it up in Strφmstad and take it across the border to Norway myself, legally avoiding 25 % additional taxes.
Sure! You're gonna have to tell me where to send it though. Info here: http://www.postnord.se/ta-emot/hantera-post/poste-restante

You can submit an invoice request with the Swedish postal number and location and note Poste Restante in the requests field and I should have all necessary information.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 09:12:21 »
thanks for setting this up! signed up for 2 sets

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 15:57:54 »
thanks for setting this up! signed up for 2 sets

Sweet! You're invoiced  :thumb:

Offline pon10

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 20:36:04 »
Tack! Jeg hεber vi for nok med til at kψre den igennem!

Offline pon10

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 21:18:42 »
Good people remember, its GMK happy hour if you are in Europe :p Get on!

Offline Felion

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 07:19:08 »
Joining shortly!  (Prolly for 2 sets)
FC660c|RF88UB|HHKB pro2 type-s|GH60 Satans|Model M|Novatouch Alu-Chassi, "type -s"|Whitefox|RSII|V60|Plum84|RC930-87|Ducky3|Minivan|Planck|GH60revC|Pok3r|MF68|Ducky Mini|and more|Likφr47 - GeekHack KotM March 2017

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:02:43 »

I love everyone who's joining the buy, but I just wanted to point out that I love everyone who purchases two sets twice as much ;)

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 04:12:43 »
need to work some money out and get an order in for this :)

Offline Felion

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:45:17 »

I love everyone who's joining the buy, but I just wanted to point out that I love everyone who purchases two sets twice as much ;)
:( you only billed me for one set, so far... I Belive I order 2? (Felion1337, #00014)
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:49:48 by Felion »
FC660c|RF88UB|HHKB pro2 type-s|GH60 Satans|Model M|Novatouch Alu-Chassi, "type -s"|Whitefox|RSII|V60|Plum84|RC930-87|Ducky3|Minivan|Planck|GH60revC|Pok3r|MF68|Ducky Mini|and more|Likφr47 - GeekHack KotM March 2017

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:21:24 »

:( you only billed me for one set, so far... I Belive I order 2? (Felion1337, #00014)

Woops! I'll send a new one

Offline Petch

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:41:59 »
Would have been perfect for me if that R2 1.5u had a backspace legend rather than being blank :(
And also  a #~ and \| keys for R1, for HHKB
Edit: aaaand `¬ R1 for UK
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:44:55 by Petch »

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 06:45:06 »
Would have been perfect for me if that R2 1.5u had a backspace legend rather than being blank :(
And also  a #~ key for R1, for HHKB
Since that key varies so much between layouts, we opted for the blank instead of having to add about 5 different keys.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:21:30 »

Do you ever use that key?

Offline Petch

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:29:13 »

Do you ever use that key?
Yes

I will just wait for a perfect set to come along one day. I'm fine with blanks and would rather have no legends than wrong/inconsistent ones  :)

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 11:50:03 »
Update when update is due!

Currently, things aren't looking too good. We are at 29/150 kits, of which 15 are from buyers (17 counting myself), and 12 are for coverage and fixes. The majority of buyers are from Reddit, or have at least signed up with a a Reddit name. It's no secret that Reddit has the biggest buyer potential, but it's also hard to get seen there. The posts have gotten about 30-40 upvotes: two at launch for /r/mk and /r/mm, and then one a few days ago on Reddit again. I would have to guess a part of a successful Reddit GB post involves either having a wow-factor, or building on hype. This set isn't all that interesting if you just take a quick peek at it.

The GH thread has received decent enough reception to catch the eye of most potential GH buyers, anyhow. The DT post has had no replies yet, but is still lingering on the front page.

Proceeding from here, the set is going to need more exposure on Reddit to succeed, no doubt. However, I don't want to annoy the users or mods too much so I'll be somewhat conservative in posting there. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me! Also make sure to tell your eurokeyboardfriends ;)

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 03:45:13 »

Yes

I will just wait for a perfect set to come along one day. I'm fine with blanks and would rather have no legends than wrong/inconsistent ones  :)

Out of interest what do you use the symbols on it for?  I have no idea what ¬ is for and while ¦ looks like pipe, pipe is next to the left shift |

I'm intrigued :)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 04:03:47 »

Offline dfrib

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 14:38:05 »
I will most likely (~90%) sign up for a set shortly; finally a chance to fix a complete ISO/SE setup for my wife's kb (not that she really cares, but we want what's best ... :D).

I'll just drive-by point out (as I totally missed the IC for this one) that I would have been even more thrilled if this drop ran in black legends on white base (but biased, I guess, towards all my existing mods that would run well with such alphas :) )
2x Hypersphered Novatouch TKL, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Browns)

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:15:10 »
Really dissapointed with the lack of traction this is getting.

Everyone's so entertained by all those woohoo rainbow fun colours childs play toy keysets yet the best of the best conservative WoB with icon mods gets no respect.

Offline Khers

• Schrφdinger's box
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 03:07:21 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:58:13 by Khers »

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:38:11 »
Update when update is due!

Currently, things aren't looking too good. We are at 29/150 kits, of which 15 are from buyers (17 counting myself), and 12 are for coverage and fixes. The majority of buyers are from Reddit, or have at least signed up with a a Reddit name. It's no secret that Reddit has the biggest buyer potential, but it's also hard to get seen there. The posts have gotten about 30-40 upvotes: two at launch for /r/mk and /r/mm, and then one a few days ago on Reddit again. I would have to guess a part of a successful Reddit GB post involves either having a wow-factor, or building on hype. This set isn't all that interesting if you just take a quick peek at it.

The GH thread has received decent enough reception to catch the eye of most potential GH buyers, anyhow. The DT post has had no replies yet, but is still lingering on the front page.

Proceeding from here, the set is going to need more exposure on Reddit to succeed, no doubt. However, I don't want to annoy the users or mods too much so I'll be somewhat conservative in posting there. If you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me! Also make sure to tell your eurokeyboardfriends ;)
Have you thought about actively promoting the buy on the forums using the locales you're supporting with the set (e.g. Sweclockers in SE)? I'd be happy support the set, but I can't justify yet another WoB set...
I did look into SweClockers. However, they don't permit commercial posts and since I'm not an established member of that community, I certainly wouldn't want to try to play around their rules for the explicit sake of promoting a sale. I have no real clue where else to post about it outside the mech community, to be quite frank.

I will most likely (~90%) sign up for a set shortly; finally a chance to fix a complete ISO/SE setup for my wife's kb (not that she really cares, but we want what's best ... :D).

I'll just drive-by point out (as I totally missed the IC for this one) that I would have been even more thrilled if this drop ran in black legends on white base (but biased, I guess, towards all my existing mods that would run well with such alphas :) )
One of the reasons I opted not to is that black on white is a lot easier to make/acquire. You can get it from vintage boards, and dye-subbed PBT is another method of producing top quality keycaps. Black on white, on the contrary, usually comes with bad legends since double shots are the only way to make good black on white that won't wear down.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:43:47 »
How come the set doesn't support ISO-UK or ANSI natively? And why did that backspace make it? Those are the two major pitfalls for me.

I can't comment on the other languages, but the usage of blanks isn't the greatest when you want to sell a set specifically for having correct legends.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:49:54 »
How come the set doesn't support ISO-UK or ANSI natively? And why did that backspace make it? Those are the two major pitfalls for me.

I can't comment on the other languages, but the usage of blanks isn't the greatest when you want to sell a set specifically for having correct legends.

ISO UK is nearly perfectly supported. The only missing parts are the € on the 4 key and the top left key, which differs between every supported language. As such it was opted to just be blanked out in order to save on the costs. ANSI was an afterthought and is merely included for compatibility. The backspace was chosen in the IC and was never brought up, hence why it's in the GB. I understand a lot would prefer the arrow but that's just a bit late.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:13:23 »
Perhaps, for the future, we could do without the F-row (including Print, Pause and Scroll Lock) and maybe even the bottom row, for popular sets.

Anyhow, how many orders have been placed so far?

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:23:15 »

Perhaps, for the future, we could do without the F-row (including Print, Pause and Scroll Lock) and maybe even the bottom row, for popular sets.

Anyhow, how many orders have been placed so far?

If I get you correctly, that's basically an international kit. They're usually launched along the main group buy but fail to reach MOQ with a few exceptions like Carbon and Plum.

Sitting at 31 orders right now, so we're a fifth through!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:50:50 »
If I get you correctly, that's basically an international kit. They're usually launched along the main group buy but fail to reach MOQ with a few exceptions like Carbon and Plum.
You're right on both accounts, International kits do fail when launched along with the main set, which happens to be already quite expensive. What I'm hinting here is to try and sell an international kit in at a later time, when people basically refills their wallets.

Sitting at 31 orders right now, so we're a fifth through!
With twenty more days to go, I guess that's an encouraging result.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:05:37 »
Orders will spike at the end, like any other GB.

I don't need (and moreover, can't afford) a set, so I'll sit this one out, but it looks like a goodun.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 01:13:22 »
Orders will spike at the end, like any other GB.

I don't need (and moreover, can't afford) a set, so I'll sit this one out, but it looks like a goodun.
I certainly hope you're right. Thank you! :)

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 03:07:59 »
We're at 31 now? How about hitting the bags together with t0mb3ry and his MD GB going on right now where he's offering a WoB?
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-t0mb3ry-gmk-jamods-modifiers-kit

Offline kevral

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 10:33:19 »
I did look into SweClockers. However, they don't permit commercial posts and since I'm not an established member of that community, I certainly wouldn't want to try to play around their rules for the explicit sake of promoting a sale. I have no real clue where else to post about it outside the mech community, to be quite frank.

I have mentioned and linked this thread and a pic of the keyset in one of the threads on Sweclockers where the members are asking for advice on high quality swedish keycaps.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:04:29 »
We're at 31 now? How about hitting the bags together with t0mb3ry and his MD GB going on right now where he's offering a WoB?
What do you mean exactly? Me to arrange a proxy for the MD group buy? That would not be beneficial to many buyers since Sweden has a pretty high VAT, 25%.

I have mentioned and linked this thread and a pic of the keyset in one of the threads on Sweclockers where the members are asking for advice on high quality swedish keycaps.

Thank you! <3

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:47:06 »
What do you mean exactly? Me to arrange a proxy for the MD group buy? That would not be beneficial to many buyers since Sweden has a pretty high VAT, 25%.

Chances are that MD will actually reach MOQ and if we can combine it with your NorDeUK-set it will be a win-win. Profit will go to MD moneywise but hopefully we will all get our sets. As of now 31, of which you have 17, and we're going at 150...

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:49:09 »

Chances are that MD will actually reach MOQ and if we can combine it with your NorDeUK-set it will be a win-win. Profit will go to MD moneywise but hopefully we will all get our sets. As of now 31, of which you have 17, and we're going at 150...
Then we are kind of back at the issue of high shipping and import taxation, which is a large reason international kits fail :(

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 14:01:42 »

Then we are kind of back at the issue of high shipping and import taxation, which is a large reason international kits fail :(

I hear you. I want this set to go thru. I want it really bad.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2017, 03:30:43 by dorf »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 03:17:26 »
Any update?

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:14:10 »

i wish you every success

Well, plenty of people already told him in IC that WoB sucks, but he wouldn't listen.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:23:41 »

i wish you every success

Well, plenty of people already told him in IC that WoB sucks, but he wouldn't listen.

At the end of the day, it is his gb, and should first and foremost be the set HE wants to make, essentially this is him putting his idea out on to the world and seeing of there are enough like minded people like him who want to make that dream a reality

I'm not sure when people decided all gbs should be made up of either the decisions of others or a community vote

Sure if you want to reach as many people as possible, you need to balance your vision with mass appeal and community input and that is certainly one way of doing things, however I think the best keysets, keyboards and original products from within this community come from a person who is just passionate about their idea and puts the care and time to make that a reality

I personally am not ordering this set because I have so many like it already, but I commend someone for trying to do this, and I hope it's a success, if it isn't, then it's back to the drawing board, either with another idea of his own or perhaps next time with community feedback, depending on how he decides to balance what he wants versus the ability to have enough other people join to make it a reality, compromises always have to happen, but it's down to the gb leader to decide how many compromises to make to make what is left of their vision a reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:31:26 by BunnyLake »
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline pon10

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 10:08:51 »

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 11:14:10 »
Any update?
Currently at 35 orders. Time to pop in on Reddit again! Interestingly enough, there have been no UK orders yet, and most orders have assigned GH as their platform. I think it's time to pop in on Reddit again, as well as see where brits could be reached.

.... https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gmk-white-on-black-custom-keycap-set

i wish you every success

I took a lot of input during the IC phase. One thing that was set in stone was that the set would be simple in order to have a broad appeal. Trying to pull something new off would risk the entire GB given the hit or miss of special colours. BoW was also considered but ultimately chosen to not be used given the wider availability of vintage BoW sets, as well as the fact that they're easily produced through dye-subs. WoB has absolutely no sets of high quality being produced recently for these languages.

i wish you every success

At the end of the day, it is his gb, and should first and foremost be the set HE wants to make, essentially this is him putting his idea out on to the world and seeing of there are enough like minded people like him who want to make that dream a reality

I'm not sure when people decided all gbs should be made up of either the decisions of others or a community vote

Sure if you want to reach as many people as possible, you need to balance your vision with mass appeal and community input and that is certainly one way of doing things, however I think the best keysets, keyboards and original products from within this community come from a person who is just passionate about their idea and puts the care and time to make that a reality

I personally am not ordering this set because I have so many like it already, but I commend someone for trying to do this, and I hope it's a success, if it isn't, then it's back to the drawing board, either with another idea of his own or perhaps next time with community feedback, depending on how he decides to balance what he wants versus the ability to have enough other people join to make it a reality, compromises always have to happen, but it's down to the gb leader to decide how many compromises to make to make what is left of their vision a reality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! It's my belief that this is simply the most effective way of making a successful GMK GB with europeans in mind.

This is very unfortunate. While this kit does not support as many languages and will be subject to shipping and import taxes, it's cheaper for brits assuming taxation ≤25%. Their MOQ is higher, but so is their buyer base thanks to appeal to Americans.

Offline pon10

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 19:58:13 »
This is very unfortunate. While this kit does not support as many languages and will be subject to shipping and import taxes, it's cheaper for brits assuming taxation ≤25%. Their MOQ is higher, but so is their buyer base thanks to appeal to Americans.

they wont let us have our layouts, damned cowboys..  :confused:

We can hope that some seeking international support and don't know about this buys gets redirected. i posted the gb link in a comment..