Author Topic: [IC] O-ring sampler kit.  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Djuzuh

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 18:04:36 »
What are your thoughts about one person buying all 3 kinds of O-rings WASD offers, and then send 5 of each to all the interested members?

If any of you know of additionnal possible Orings (and where to buy them), it would be great to have a greater sample kit !

Bonus points if they are "unconventionnal" (exemple: if anybody has a cheap source for dental rubbers, or whatever, also, I believe some pads are used too?)

I'm not interested in doing this GB, but I'll do it if nobody else wants to. But ideally sombody in the US does it, since most members are US based, and so is wasd. There is little sense shipping everything to EU and then back xD. Expecially since the 4$ of US international shipping are bearable for EU folks.

So post your additional O-ring we could include, and offer your time for organising this GB. And your thoughts and interests ofc.

Also, another GB for cheap Orings would be great too !

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 18:42:24 »
Interested, and I can run this if other people are interested as well. I've already tried the 50A and 40A o-rings, but i'd like to give the new type a try. I also have a sample pack from WhiteFireDragon's groupbuy, but that only came with 1 of each type so I can't give that out.

If someone can find me a source that is interesting in selling o-rings to us at discounts, let me know and I'll run an actual GB for them.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline postlapsaetia

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 18:52:10 »
I'm definitely interested. I've been trying to determine which size I should get and this would help a lot.

Offline jcrouse

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:05:25 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;612964
Bonus points if they are "unconventionnal" (exemple: if anybody has a cheap source for dental rubbers, or whatever, also, I believe some pads are used too?)

Did anyone ever try or comment anywhere on the "soft-landing pads" that Elite Keyboards sells?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:28:52 »
Quote from: jcrouse;613032
Did anyone ever try or comment anywhere on the "soft-landing pads" that Elite Keyboards sells?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

I've heard that they're not as effective as o-rings.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:29:46 »
I just put dental bands from my kid's orthodontist on my new RK-9000RE. I don't know where to buy those without getting braces for your kids but you can buy dental bands on ebay.

Offline jcrouse

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:33:18 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;613044
I just put dental bands from my kid's orthodontist on my new RK-9000RE. I don't know where to buy those without getting braces for your kids but you can buy dental bands on ebay.

[begin sarcasm]
Jeez ... maybe this would be the proper place to share with us how they work. What do ya think?
[/end sarcasm]

John

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:35:39 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;613044

Wasn't this ripster's idea? xD

Then someone yelled at him for "stealing".

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:47:06 »
Quote from: jcrouse;613045
[begin sarcasm]
Jeez ... maybe this would be the proper place to share with us how they work. What do ya think?
[/end sarcasm]

John

Well, I have no context to compare them to anything else as this is my first and only such effort & I have no other type of dampening o-ring or pad to compare them to.  Thus my interest in this thread.

What I can tell you is the whole idea of getting the RK-9000RE was to have a cheap Cherry MX keyboard quiet enough to use on conference calls without blowing everyone away.  So relatively speaking it as quiet but the keys thacked a bit so seemed like I had to reduce that to really work for me.  The dental bands did reduce the clack/thack enough so I'm happy now.  The longer keys, mostly the ones with stabilizer bars, didn't totally quiet down with one so I simply tried adding a second to those keys and so far so good.

Just did the main group of keys, letters etc and escape.  Did not do function keys, number keypad or the other separate clusters.  I figured that I use those relatively little so won't worry about them & handle on a case by case basis as needed.

Quote from: thegunner100;613050

Yes it was Ripsters idea, just had to figure out what size/thickness to use that was available from my orthodontist.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:49:13 by TexasFlood »

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 20:50:30 »
Quote from: jcrouse;613045
[begin sarcasm]
[/end sarcasm]

John

Well, I have no context to compare them to anything else as this is my first and only such effort & I have no other type of dampening o-ring or pad to compare them to.  Thus my interest in this thread.

What I can tell you is the whole idea of getting the RK-9000RE was to have a cheap Cherry MX keyboard quiet enough to use on conference calls without blowing everyone away.  So relatively speaking it as quiet but the keys thacked a bit so seemed like I had to reduce that to really work for me.  The dental bands did reduce the clack/thack enough so I'm happy now.  The longer keys, mostly the ones with stabilizer bars, didn't totally quiet down with one so I simply tried adding a second to those keys and so far so good.

Just did the main group of keys, letters etc and escape.  Did not do function keys, number keypad or the other separate clusters.  I figured that I use those relatively little so won't worry about them & handle on a case by case basis as needed.

Quote from: thegunner100;613050

Yes I got the idea from Ripster wikis, just had to figure out what size/thickness to use that was available from my orthodontist as they didn't carry the ones Ripster suggested, Rams.  I got cheetah 3/16 extra heavy.

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 21:33:32 »
I actually was the one that posted this on reddit. I live in the SF Bay, and so is WASD. I would be fine running the GB if we can get some interest. The advantage is that we can just ship them in envelopes, so shipping will be unbelievably cheap.

I would be happy to get all three types from WASD, and any other types people want, provided it is a reliable supplier and not a one-time ebay auction sort of deal. It isn't useful to sample something if you are going to get a different product in the end.

I feel ~5 of each type would be a good amount, as suggested above. Gives you enough that you can try a few different keys at a time. Currently have two finals tomorrow, then a weekend of family graduations and moving apartments, but I will have a week of downtime next week before my internship where I can get this all started.

For just the 3 WASD samples, I'd guess it'll be around $2.50 shipped per person for 5 of each (about $2 in product + postage + envelope).

If we can get 10 people to do this, I'll start the GB this weekend, and order the o-rings after a week of discussion, and leave it running until I run out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 June 2012, 21:41:13 by n00bca3k »

Offline sparc

• http://runningfire.com
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 22:06:35 »
I'd participate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 22:09:04 »
I'm in....

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 22:59:20 »
Quote from: n00bca3k;613072
I actually was the one that posted this on reddit. I live in the SF Bay, and so is WASD. I would be fine running the GB if we can get some interest. The advantage is that we can just ship them in envelopes, so shipping will be unbelievably cheap.

I would be happy to get all three types from WASD, and any other types people want, provided it is a reliable supplier and not a one-time ebay auction sort of deal. It isn't useful to sample something if you are going to get a different product in the end.

I feel ~5 of each type would be a good amount, as suggested above. Gives you enough that you can try a few different keys at a time. Currently have two finals tomorrow, then a weekend of family graduations and moving apartments, but I will have a week of downtime next week before my internship where I can get this all started.

For just the 3 WASD samples, I'd guess it'll be around $2.50 shipped per person for 5 of each (about $2 in product + postage + envelope).

If we can get 10 people to do this, I'll start the GB this weekend, and order the o-rings after a week of discussion, and leave it running until I run out.

I'd participate.  Got a link to your post on reddit? I don't read much over there so never saw it. Thanks...

Offline Djuzuh

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 01:21:46 »
http://www.reddit.com/r/keyboards/comments/uxh7d/wasd_keyboard_oring_sample_pack/

I'd participate, but you'll have to send them in EU*:D (I'll pay shipping ofc).

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 01:52:22 »
I'm interested
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 01:55:10 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;613155
http://www.reddit.com/r/keyboards/comments/uxh7d/wasd_keyboard_oring_sample_pack/

I'd participate, but you'll have to send them in EU*:D (I'll pay shipping ofc).

I could figure out the cheapest way to send an envelope overseas and post what it'd be. Seems like there might be enough interest. I'll try to figure out what would be needed to ship overseas, and start up a GB this weekend hopefully (or early next week at the latest, as I need to try these suckers out sooner rather than later!)

Until then, back to computer architecture and networks....

In the mean time, look for any other O-Rings you would like to sample, and post em below!

Offline Djuzuh

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 02:36:12 »
I'd like to try the soft landing pads from EK, as linked above.

Also, YAY for computer architecture and networks !

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 02:46:12 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;613174

Sounds good. They are the same price as O-Rings. I'll try to place an order for both the oRings and the pads this weekend.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 04:54:34 »
I ran the last O-ring GB, so feel free to reference the thread HERE, as it has a lot of info regarding sizes or any other discussions. I closed it so it does not get bumped back, as that was a while ago.

I told many people I'd do a round 2 several months ago, but I simply got too busy with school, lab, and work. I'll follow through and do a round 2 this summer when I'm more free, so if no one else organizes the group buy by then, then I'll do it again. Here is some info and expectations just in case anyone else decides to run this. It only costs a normal stamp (45cents) to ship a full pack in a standard envelope, with the condition that you lay every single one out flat and put it inside a bag. Otherwise, if you just throw all of them inside an envelope, it will all bunch up and the thickness will be over 1/4", which is the max allowed thickness of a standard envelope. Any thicker than that and you risk the USPS machine tearing the envelopes or the employees returning the envelopes. If you're too lazy to package it this way, then it'll costs about $2 + material for shipping.

I ordered through Rubber Dynamics, the rep I got was Blanca. She's not the most accommodating person to deal with, and quotes I got were very inconsistent. Price ranged from 10cents to 20cents per O-ring, depending on size, material, and quantity. That GB had 8 different kinds to choose from. Everyone ordered at least one whole pack, and most also ordered a sample pack of the 8 different O-rings. I realized I was doing the $1 sample pack at a slight loss, and it was much too tedious to separately package them. So the labor is something to consider when packaging these O-rings.

Feel free to ask me any other specific questions or just reference the old O-ring GB.

Offline MadScientist46

• Snaged his first CCs -> HappyScientist now ^_^
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 05:28:37 »
I was thinking about ordering O-Rings from WASD, but wasnt sure which type....
So I'm definitly interested in this. Shipping would be to Germany.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2012, 14:23:09 by MadScientist46 »
Noppoo Choc mini MX-Reds | KBT Pure MX-Reds/Green LEDs

Offline quake4mhg

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 13:24:03 »
Interested. I'm using wasd 40A-R, definitely would like to try others.

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 14:33:31 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;613174

I would like to try them to.  I'm pretty much cursing computer architecture and networks at the moment, but my attitude will improve, has to.

Offline navmed

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 15:01:09 »
I'm interested as well.

Offline noir

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 16:57:12 »
interested only if shipping is cheap and if shipping to canada is available :)

Offline jcrouse

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 17:35:46 »
Go here and choose 3/16 for the Inside Diameter in the left side bar. That will keep ya bust for a while. Some are very cheap, like less than $3.00 for 100 pieces

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=hz90f0

Enjoy,
John

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 17:46:51 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;613536
I'm pretty much cursing computer architecture and networks at the moment, but my attitude will improve, has to.

Wait, why you as well?

Offline TexasFlood

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 18:22:02 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;613536
I would like to try them to.  I'm pretty much cursing computer architecture and networks at the moment, but my attitude will improve, has to.

Quote from: n00bca3k;613677
Wait, why you as well?

Suffice to say such things aren't exactly going my way right now and it's frustrating. I'll get through it and get on some better projects but banging into walls right now and it hurts.

Offline leeN

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 03:59:32 »
Quote from: MadScientist46;613206
I was thinking about ordering O-Rings from WASD, but wasnt sure which type....
So I'm definitly interested in this. Shipping would be to Germany.

Same for me :)

Offline postlapsaetia

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 11:16:49 »
Quote from: jcrouse;613666
Go here and choose 3/16 for the Inside Diameter in the left side bar. That will keep ya bust for a while. Some are very cheap, like less than $3.00 for 100 pieces

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=hz90f0

Enjoy,
John

Did this. They're supposed to get here by tomorrow.

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 16:20:23 »
Plans changed, busy weekend and it's my birthday tomorrow, so I'm delaying getting things rolling till Tuesday most likely.

Quote from: postlapsaetia;615500
Did this. They're supposed to get here by tomorrow.

If you get them tomorrow, let us know what you got and how they are! Might be interested in going through mcmastercarr instead.

Offline postlapsaetia

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 16:25:56 »
Quote from: n00bca3k;615701
If you get them tomorrow, let us know what you got and how they are! Might be interested in going through mcmastercarr instead.

Will do.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 17:30:13 »
Aren't Mcmaster's silicone and EPDM o-rings 70A?

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 02:27:05 »
Quote from: dorkvader;615744
Aren't Mcmaster's silicone and EPDM o-rings 70A?

They've got some 50A, but that seems to be the softest they have...

I ordered the 2 different landing pads and the three types of WASD orings. I'll try to get an actual GB page up with a google doc and paypal and stuff on Tuesday, and I'll keep running it until I run out of stock. A quick look on USPS.com seems like it would be about $7.50 to ship just an envelope to Germany, unless I did something wrong. If anyone wants to take a closer look, see if they can figure it out, that'd be great.

It came out to $3.41 before shipping for a 5x5 sample pack. So about $4.00 each after an envelope and a stamp within the US.

Offline MadScientist46

• Snaged his first CCs -> HappyScientist now ^_^
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 05:13:00 »
I really appreciate your efforts and the wide range of different stuff, great move!
but could someone pls check that shipping costs for international again? seems a lil high for an envelope. (but i do know very little about us postal service :wacko: )

oh yeah, btw: Happy b-day n00bca3k!!! (Right?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2012, 05:29:38 by MadScientist46 »
Noppoo Choc mini MX-Reds | KBT Pure MX-Reds/Green LEDs

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 15:50:15 »
Quote from: MadScientist46;616093
I really appreciate your efforts and the wide range of different stuff, great move!
but could someone pls check that shipping costs for international again? seems a lil high for an envelope. (but i do know very little about us postal service :wacko: )

oh yeah, btw: Happy b-day n00bca3k!!! (Right?)

Yup, big two-one. Thank you ._.;;

Offline Djuzuh

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 16:00:02 »
international shipping seems high.

A bubble mailer costs only 4$ ~~

Offline postlapsaetia

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 20:56:47 »
Got the Mcmaster o-rings in, as well as a set of Cherry DS'. They're the Buna-N 008. They feel nice, pretty sure that they're 70A though. I'm liking the minimized actuation distance.

I'm definitely still in for this GB though. Want to try a variety!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 23:37:12 »
Quote from: n00bca3k;616051
They've got some 50A, but that seems to be the softest they have...

I ordered the 2 different landing pads and the three types of WASD orings. I'll try to get an actual GB page up with a google doc and paypal and stuff on Tuesday, and I'll keep running it until I run out of stock. A quick look on USPS.com seems like it would be about $7.50 to ship just an envelope to Germany, unless I did something wrong. If anyone wants to take a closer look, see if they can figure it out, that'd be great.

It came out to $3.41 before shipping for a 5x5 sample pack. So about $4.00 each after an envelope and a stamp within the US.

Looking forward to it. Btw, can you just ship out a specific type for one person instead of all of them? I.E, i'd like to try the WASD 40A-L and the EK landing pads.

Offline Djuzuh

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 00:58:19 »
Quote from: thegunner100;616738
Looking forward to it. Btw, can you just ship out a specific type for one person instead of all of them? I.E, i'd like to try the WASD 40A-L and the EK landing pads.

I don't see the point, and it will only complicate things. And at the end, you'll pay 50 cents less :P

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 15:50:02 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;616442
international shipping seems high.

A bubble mailer costs only 4$ ~~

I was wrong. It looks like a letter will be about $1-2 to Germany, not too bad!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2012, 16:01:24 by n00bca3k »

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 15:50:26 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;616787
I don't see the point, and it will only complicate things. And at the end, you'll pay 50 cents less :P

Exactly. Also, I don't want a random number of various O-Rings. I'd rather have 24 complete sample packs.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 16:53:37 »
I'd be interested in trying o-rings :O I can pitch in a few bucks to help buy the sampler kit.
I love Elzy

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 22:32:00 »
Quote from: Sifo;617240
I'd be interested in trying o-rings :O I can pitch in a few bucks to help buy the sampler kit.

They are already purchased! The group-buy will go up as soon as I get the EK landing pads - the WASD O-Rings showed up this afternoon. It'll come out to $3.54 for 5 of 5 different ORings/Landing pads, with 45c or $1 of shipping domestic and international respectively (I believe). I'm just going to run it until I sell 23 sample packs.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 12:37:39 »
Quote from: n00bca3k;617512
They are already purchased! The group-buy will go up as soon as I get the EK landing pads - the WASD O-Rings showed up this afternoon. It'll come out to $3.54 for 5 of 5 different ORings/Landing pads, with 45c or $1 of shipping domestic and international respectively (I believe). I'm just going to run it until I sell 23 sample packs.

Wow sweet. Can't wait to try some of them
I love Elzy

Offline n00bca3k

[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 22:38:09 »
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?32823-Group-Buy-O-Ring-Sampler-Kit&p=620588#post620588

Let me know if anything seems out of place! First GB... and its hardly really a GB.... lol

Offline ACallander

• Portfolio
[IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 18:54:19 »
Are you still accepting orders? I'd love to figure out which set I'd love to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kronen

Re: [IC] O-ring sampler kit.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 22:46:03 »
S-s-s-shameless self-cross-posting, but I'm sending out a copy of noobcake's sampler kit to anyone who requests it.  The signup sheet and thread can be found here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33329.msg626988#msg626988
Interested in some O-Rings? Try mine: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33329.0