Author Topic: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (GB Dates/Times / FE Raffle Announced)  (Read 249755 times)

Offline SoraNoTenshi

Re: [IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (Prices and Vendor Announcement)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 07:58:03 »
If more information about a EU Vendor are there... i might reconsider my max price / kit...
45$ more shouldn't destroy my finances... :D

yeah you pay 500 for a keeb and then worry for 45 :D pls

11% before taxes is nothing to scoff at.
Here it is even like 20%
~400e * 0.2 = ~80e so yes it does pay up a bit. also that the shipping costs will be higher from the us.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 08:02:34 »

Here it is even like 20%
~400e * 0.2 = ~80e so yes it does pay up a bit. also that the shipping costs will be higher from the us.

25% of full price (shipping included) + 27$ fee here. Seems to vary a ton across europe

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 08:16:15 »
25% of full price (shipping included) + 27$ fee here. Seems to vary a ton across europe
Same here. I believe it's all of EU countries (same customs, same import taxes).
On the FE we are talking about almost $250 in taxes added on top, and that's not counting the shipping (the import taxes also apply to shipping costs, yes...)

Offline xantiema

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 08:37:57 »
Indeed. 450$ pricetag pre shipping would be more easily swallowed if it had e-white at the minimum

Offline Vigrith

Re: IRON165 by Smith + Rune
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 09:20:56 »
Extremely exciting project, beautifully designed and hopefully all that excitement and desire remains once the estimated price is announced (unlike a couple other similar designs).

Offline Capsy

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 09:34:05 »
"Extremely exciting project, beautifully designed and hopefully all that excitement and desire remains once the estimated price is announced (unlike a couple other similar designs)."

Bye.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 17:52:29 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 17:57:36 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn

you're alive?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 18:00:00 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn

you're alive?

i broke my jaw in june and i've been employed full time

also **** like this gets me righteously salty
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2019, 18:01:31 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jooobe

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 18:34:13 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn
Ooof

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 19:00:17 »
Bye.

I'm sorry I upset you in the Black Lotus thread.

i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn

Not sure about your benevolent use of "we" there but this hobby is like Fortnite skins and other microtransactions praying on addictive personalities so uh

Never?

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 19:05:30 »
not be able for FE but will try with SE,  :p  :p

Offline Capsy

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 19:08:20 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn
Ah didn't work for Kepler, let me try this in the iron thread.

FE is $885, not the standard edition.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 19:16:33 »
i quit

$885 from a new vendor

when will we learn

These guys might be new, but due to their professional jobs they are not lacking skill or expertise when it comes to engineering

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 20:35:43 »
i retract my previous statement

lbaron got in touch with me on discord unprompted and broke down the price with me and cleared up the beef i normally have with insane boards like this

he was very straightforward with me about why the FE costs as much as it does, and that which price points they're trying to hit

unlike some other GBs from new designers at this price point, nobody is trying to hide any info, or treating anything like a trade secret

it was a very straightforward, honest conversation, and it was super refreshing

he also mentioned that there is a good chunk of money saved up and set aside in case things go wrong

these guys are genuinely passionate about this project and even i'm excited about it

consider this project puddsy approved

Offline voxkey

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:55:07 »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, everyone. We are very passionate about this project and doing our best to make sure this is a success.

If anyone has questions, we're pretty much an open book. Feel free to reach out here or on Discord and ask either of us anything.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 22:06:17 »
Can't wait for the final decision on colors.
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline voxkey

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 22:08:52 »
Can't wait for the final decision on colors.

We should have a form up next week polling for preferred colors :)

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 22:38:11 »
Would love an FE but in 60% layout. Maybe someday!  ;)
GLWS, definitely an interesting board you got here.

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (Prices and Vendor Announcement)
« Reply #269 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 23:28:30 »

lbaron got in touch with me on discord unprompted and broke down the price with me and cleared up the beef i normally have with insane boards like this

he was very straightforward with me about why the FE costs as much as it does, and that which price points they're trying to hit

unlike some other GBs from new designers at this price point, nobody is trying to hide any info, or treating anything like a trade secret

he also mentioned that there is a good chunk of money saved up and set aside in case things go wrong

these guys are genuinely passionate about this project and even i'm excited about it

That’s... good for you, but for the rest of us, yeah not exactly helpful.
It’s not the FE but the “more affordable” SE that annoyed me.
Even leaving the pink elephant that is Polaris (also a gasket kit BTW) aside, comparing this to the other spec-equivalent kits, I still don’t see why it warrants the $450 price point.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 03:57:16 »
Even if the price is justified doesn't mean you need to buy into it. You have to accept that you can't own every new keyboard. As the community is getting used to higher prices, even if it results in a more refined, durable and luxurious case, it doesn't mean everyone has to be able to afford that case.

You have to let go of the mindset that you have to own every case.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 06:18:56 »
I really wanted to get in on the FE edition but I have to agree that import taxes and shipping would push it over $1200.  It is getting just too pricey.  I may need to rethink this one.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:39:19 »
Even if the price is justified doesn't mean you need to buy into it. You have to accept that you can't own every new keyboard. As the community is getting used to higher prices, even if it results in a more refined, durable and luxurious case, it doesn't mean everyone has to be able to afford that case.

God do I hate this type of "putting your own words into other people's mouths under the disguise of sympathizing "now now child" talk". Stop trying to project your addictive self into other people.

If these guys wants to get compensation for their R&D & design, fine whatever, but at least be brave and transparent enough to post what they have privately sent to other people so everyone can understand their justifications.

Remember, they're a new vendor. They don't get to have the benefit of the doubt. As designers, surely they understand the import of telling a clear product story to an audience? Is it my fault that they failed to show me why their keyboard is worth its cost? Look at what Keycult did to avoid complaints like mine.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:49:22 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:43:38 »

There's no way I can ever see this going wrong.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #274 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:49:04 »
Even leaving the pink elephant that is Polaris (also a gasket kit BTW) aside, comparing this to the other spec-equivalent kits, I still don’t see why it warrants the $450 price point.

They're probably using a known good factory, which is always worth using over a new factory with no keyboard experience. Yes, it'll be more expensive, but absolutely worth it.

Polaris is probably priced @ 300 units, with a lower quality factory too. It's not really a fair comparison.

imo a better comparison would be to the Jane V2 CE, $550 @ 100 units. And looking at the size & quantity of the components, IRON165 is priced very fairly.

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:52:07 »

God do I hate this type of "putting your own words into other people's mouths under the disguise of sympathizing "now now child" talk". Stop trying to project your addictive self into other people.

If these guys wants to get compensation for their R&D & design, fine whatever, but at least be brave and transparent enough to post what they have privately sent to other people so everyone can understand their justifications.

Remember, they're a new vendor. They don't get to have the benefit of the doubt. As designers, surely they understand the import of telling a clear product story to an audience? Is it my fault that they failed to show me why their keyboard is worth its cost? Look at what Keycult did to avoid complaints like mine.

To be fair, they don't have to do anything. If you've got some critical feedback on what they could've done differently, I'm sure that would be useful to hear. For quite a few people, they do understand why the board costs what it does and they are prepared to pay the price.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:52:14 »

Prototypes are still being produced. So they'll do a video when it comes out. The GB won't begin until that happens. So maybe, you could just.... wait?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:08:00 »

450 is a normal price tho

They're using the same factory that everyone else uses

Offline harlekein

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:18:15 »

Stop trying to project your addictive self into other people.

No worries. I'm not a collector. I keep two or three keyboards. I sell one if I get a new one.

Seems like I hit a nerve though.

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:44:55 »
Now I really want to hear what they've been saying in private, even though I don't have interest in buying this board nor do I think they can't put whatever price they want on it.

Good story helps to sell expensive product though, that's for damn sure.

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:51:28 »
Do the people complaining about the price think this board won't sellout quickly?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #281 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 10:58:34 »
Had a really good conversation with Ibaron yesterday on discord.  Everything makes sense to me now based on what he told me directly.

Hope this GB goes smoothly and I can’t wait to see other projects they come out with down the road.

-Hedgey
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:02:16 »
Do the people complaining about the price think this board won't sellout quickly?

Absolutely not. If anyone expects a board like this to not sell out instantly in this day and age regardless of every single other factor they're delusional.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #283 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 12:53:11 »
Had a great conversation through slack DMs with the makers. They sent nudes. I offered constructive criticism. We're all good now.

Offline DrSteveBrule

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:47:23 »
Had a great conversation through slack DMs with the makers. They sent nudes. I offered constructive criticism. We're all good now.

+1

Also had a great conversation with them when I met them at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 13:57:07 »
Now I really want to hear what they've been saying in private, even though I don't have interest in buying this board nor do I think they can't put whatever price they want on it.

Good story helps to sell expensive product though, that's for damn sure.

Short version is that I asked what the point of all the exotic materials is, and lbaron told me basically "idk it's cool" instead of making up some bull**** about "the density properties of copper and stainless production" which wouldn't be dissimilar to what I've heard from others.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:03:32 »

+1

Also had a great conversation with them when I met them at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

You win :laughing-crying:

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:43:25 »
Short version is that I asked what the point of all the exotic materials is, and lbaron told me basically "idk it's cool" instead of making up some bull**** about "the density properties of copper and stainless production" which wouldn't be dissimilar to what I've heard from others.
exotic materials? that is alu and brass?

Offline iaman

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:47:26 »
I'm pretty sure it's typhon organs

Offline phunktional

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:48:57 »
Stainless steel and copper.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #290 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 14:49:19 »
Copper and stainless steel. He's talking about the FE version.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:33:52 »

It's a bit narcissistic to believe that these guys are trying to prove anything to you, no?

Offline Egobean

« Reply #292 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:54:23 »
wait so what is the expected price? and when is the gb going to start?

Offline sapphyr

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 15:55:32 »
wait so what is the expected price? and when is the gb going to start?

SE - ~445
FE - 845

Late september/early october. More details in the first, second and third posts.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:24:07 »

It's a bit narcissistic to believe that these guys are trying to prove anything to you, no?

he's been trolling on here for years

Offline Nevermore012

[IC] IRON165 by Smith + Rune (Prices and Vendor Announcement)
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:30:13 »

the actually he always complains what he thought too expensive for himself, despite this kb has normal price with the design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I'm in for SE, aren't you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:33:20 »

the actually he always complains what he thought too expensive for himself, despite this kb has normal price with the design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I'm in for SE, aren't you ?

no, it costs an amount of money greater than zero therefore i cannot afford it

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 19:36:01 »

no, it costs an amount of money greater than zero therefore i cannot afford it
people buy what they want, :))), hope i can snap one when the GB open

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #298 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 20:15:42 »
Will there be an option to add foam (between PCB and plate) in the SE version?
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline RivieraS

• Yutop
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 01:10:25 »
Cant wait