Author Topic: What are YOU going to use for Mechwarrior?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline peptobiscuit

What are YOU going to use for Mechwarrior?
« on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 09:48:57 »
I've had 4 coffees this morning, and i want to talk about Mechwarrior. And Hawken. And piloting giant robots.

I've been a huge mechwarrior fan my entire gaming life. My first game, at the ripe young age of 9, was Mechwarrior 2. I've owned every pc mechwarrior game since then, played an online MMO (Neveron anyone?) and even read some of the novels. So naturally, I've been dreaming of piloting a mech the old fashioned (or year 3000 fashioned?) way since forever. Stick, throttle, and pedals. I like the looks of the mekfu controller for hawken, but it doesnt have a throttle or pedals (i think the left stick is emulating your WASD cluster). I like the looks of the razer artemis, but i the throttle is very weak looking (a tiny slider?), and i want something substantial.

Hotas setup for me? I think so. Probably the F-16 controls and metal combat pedals.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: What are YOU going to use for Mechwarrior?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 21:45:16 »
What I was thinking about is doing a bit of a mod to the Artemis where it has a large, HOTAS-Style throttle connected to the mini one and an anchor point on the other side, while still leaving access to the gamepad below it

Then I realised that I have NO modding skills...Still might consider the above. Other than that, HOTAS for me. I don't really see myself using a mouse and keyboard for this, especially because it isn't instant to torso-twist or turn. Specifically i'm thinking Saitek X52 Pro. Yes, it's a subsidiary of MadCatz, but so is Cyborg, and I just had my RAT 7 cut out on me after a good year of owning it (Took it places too often).

But the Artemis's keypad is gonna have Cherry MX switches (probably blues considering Razer's history, but it would be nice to be able to change it...)! : D
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 22:13:17 »
Maybe I'll get Kinnect for PC?

trollface.jpg

Anyways, I'm thinking about getting a Saitek X52 Pro not only for this game but also for Ace Combat Assault Horizon as well  :p
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 21:53:55 »
Ughhh, mechwarrior is going to be such a disappointment :/
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:39:36 »
Ughhh, mechwarrior is going to be such a disappointment :/

is going to be?  no, it is a huge disappointment.  it's pretty easy to see that the company managing / developing it is staffed by lunatics or ruled over by some businessperson with absolutely no sense as to what makes a game fun, let alone survive long-term.

i still play it, though.  i thought a matrix keyboard would be interesting to use for it, but ultimately this filco majestouch 2 with browns is working just fine.

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 December 2012, 22:44:46 »
I play MWO as a proud tetatae birdwarrior in Word of Lowtax. Been playing since beta. To say it's a crummy game is pretty fair, however it has actually improved significantly with the past few patches. The netcode and the grognards are that game's two biggest issues, if PGI would fix the netcode and ignore the grognards, it would be almost worth the $120 I dropped on it. Garth is basically the only dev at PGI who isn't a frothing-at-the-mouth nutjob.

I play it with the Franken M and a G9X, there's zero point to playing it with anything but a mouse and keyboard unless you hate winning or just want to play big stompy robots with a joystick.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 16:14:49 »
Same way I play all the other MechWarrior games from MW2 onward: keyboard and mouse. I depend on mouse precision to hit the target in all the right places, and that's much tougher with a joystick unless it's MW2/Heavy Gear 2/Steel Battalion-style absolute aiming. (MW3 onward switched to relative aiming.)

The only exception, of course, would be those Virtual World pods if I ever encounter them again. Those use a basic stick/throttle/pedal setup, along with a ton of MFDs. Relative aiming, though, so my accuracy takes a hit.

proud tetatae birdwarrior
Someone's clearly read Far Country...

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:04:18 »
Someone's clearly read Far Country...

Actually, I have not read that particular part of the BTech canon. By all accounts it's a terrible book like most BTech fiction.
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 06:24:31 »
Well Ive just been using my mouse and keyboard now adays sadly but I used to use a Microsoft Force Feedback 2.
Might have to dig it out of the packing box my parents have stored (Im in College)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 06:30:34 »
I'm currently using a Mouse+keyboard because I've been too engrossed in this forum to actually shove over the money for a HOTAS setup :))

I do fine (run a Large Laser boat on a K2), and I drop with friends most of the time. The game has certainly improved since the last time I played it (June...yeah, that's right. I was in Closed Beta.)
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 06:34:26 »
I'm currently using a Mouse+keyboard because I've been too engrossed in this forum to actually shove over the money for a HOTAS setup :))

I do fine (run a Large Laser boat on a K2), and I drop with friends most of the time. The game has certainly improved since the last time I played it (June...yeah, that's right. I was in Closed Beta.)

Having used a joystick back in the old MW games, I have to say though, It's alot more fun.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:31:15 »
I never denied that I liked a joystick better...quite frankly, it feels a lot better controlling a giant 65 ton machine with a Joystick than a keyboard and mouse. The mouse moves too fast, so the two reticules get separated far too quickly. I feel everything is transferred a lot better through a joystick than a keyboard/mouse IMO with MechWarrior...I just need to find the money to buy a HoTAS through the Phantom... D:
More

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:34:18 »
I would recommend trying to find a decently priced Force Feedback 2 (try ebay)
I wonder if MWO does force feedback like MW4 did.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 07:40:00 »
If I want to just use a joystick, then I'll use one of the two Extreme 3D Pros that we have lying around my house...no.

I want a legitimate Hands on Throttle and Stick setup. Separate throttle from the joystick, preferably with pedals and not a stick twist (love that, but it's too sensitive IE I turn while I torso twist). Mouse is certainly more flexible for look controls, but since it's not a traditional lookaround (IE flick your wrist, flick your view 100 degrees), I feel a joystick is better.
More