Author Topic: game controller build thread (PS Vita analog stick, Cherry Red, Leonardo, LoL)  (Read 105353 times)

Offline hanya

question, which one of these pinouts do i connect the power?
(Attachment Link)

the product page says they're all for power?  maybe any of the 3 can be used?
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/2p7rQYx8
I've designed the board to be used for both older and newer analog stick. VCC pads are not connected each other on the board, so connect them to VCC. If you ignore the silk on the board, you can use the board as normal break out board.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline Camineet

oh yeah, the idea for these tiny pcb's was hanya's.  arigatou ne, hanya-san :-*

Offline Camineet

Re: game controller build thread (PS Vita analog stick, Cherry Red, Leonardo, LoL)
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 16:10:44 »
Hey guys, not much of an update as far as progress goes.  Just checking in :)

I spent the past few weeks playing my b*lls off with the incomplete build that just has one analog stick and a cherry switch on top for flash and a second summoner spell as part of an alt keymap.

A while back as part of a failed design improvement, the device was unusable for almost 3 weeks and I had a bloodlust built up that was pretty out of control :confused:  So, I haven't had a chance to get to work on implementing the additional analog sticks on top because I've been too busy satisfying my bloodlust for the past 2 weeks or so.

I've also been chasing around a performance problem whereby one of the switches just dies for as long as 2 to 3 seconds at a time.  I think I have located the problem which is a weak looking soldering point on the teensy, and I resoldered it, but I can't be sure that I resolved the problem until I have a few games to confirm.  It's one of those intermittent problems we all love that only rear their ugly heads when no one is looking or once we have become convinced we've eradicated the problem >:D

I've also got another performance problem whereby I get random intermittent upward movements on the analog stick causing my camera to move up.This problem isn't nearly as disruptive as having a key die completely for 2 to 3 seconds.  That key problem resulted in me failing in my ranked provisional games due to some dropped commands in clutch moments before i was sure there was a real problem :'(  very frustrating

The random analog stick problem may not be solvable, and if not i can live with it.  giving teh controller a smack usually resolves it, but i've also noticed that doing a recalibration on the window usb game controllers utility seems to make it go away for a day or so..  I'll probably try some things such as swapping out some wiring or even swapping out the vita mod  for one of the newer ones from W11cE.  Although, I'm reluctant to discontinue use of the original mod because of some kind of strange loyalty I have to it :))

I have to do some work this weekend for my real work, but perhaps in around one or two weeks I can begin building up the top platform and planning the wire up for the additional analog sticks :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: game controller build thread (PS Vita analog stick, Cherry Red, Leonardo, LoL)
« Reply #303 on: Sat, 06 February 2016, 04:45:43 »
Ooh that doesn't sound fun, lets hope it was that solder joint letting you down!  If not you have some spare pins...

If the analog is only moving slightly the solution sounds like adding a small null zone in the middle, but this would of course mean stopping you being able to make movements of the same slowness when you want to.  Never played the game so not sure if this would be a problem?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline W11cE

« Reply #304 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 13:26:52 »
Vita sticks are not usually well centered. At least the ones I've had were not. I have a calibration code somewhere that saves the max and min axis values of the stick to EEPROM and centers and scales axes with those. A little tricky to use, since you have to move the stick at a correct time.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #305 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 14:17:08 »
Thanks for the feedback guys :)  I think I may have resolved those problems with some soldering because I haven't seen either the problem with the intermittently dying switch or the intermittently moving analog in about two or three games after some extra soldering.  We'll see after more time.

I installed a steel rod post as a foundation for analog 2

127421-0
The device now has a seat upon which analog 2 can rest with stability and adequate rigidity
127423-1
I did this assembly mockup before wire up just to check ergonomics (position and tilt). 
127425-2
I got pretty lucky on drilling and installing the steel rod allowing for ergonomics to be optimal
127427-3
127429-4
127431-5
127433-6

I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago I did an upgrade like this whereby I installed steel rod posts in a sugru bed as a foundation upon which outside leg keys for index and pinky finger sit.  Those keys require positioning that is a fair distance away from the internal skeleton of the outside leg.  So, soft materials to hold those two keys in place resulted in a little bit of wiggling and probable long-term falling apart.  Now those two keys are rock solid.

I did the wire up on analog 2 today, and now it can be used in game.  I'm just a little bit sad because along the way, a tragedy occurred.  I murdered one of the new vita mods :'(

In order to connect all three power holes together I tried dragging solder across all three to make a big solder blob.  I then connected one power cable to the center hole.  I noticed that making the big solder connective blob took a long time and the tiny board got very hot in the process.  I think I may have fried the board.

After wiring up the rest of the mod, I tested it and it worked fine.  I even played a off-line game to test flash and smite used on the second analog.  It worked fine temporarily, but after a few minutes I started getting continuous on activation of one direction of one of the axes.  Ultimately, it turns out that the x pinout on the mod no longer works.  I did troubleshooting for about an hour-and-a-half, swapping various things out and could never get the mod to work again :'(

Thereafter, I wired up another mod and was successful.  On the second mod, I connected three red wires from each independent hole and then combined those wires to form one power cable.

so, the dream is not only still alive but is even more so becoming reality:D  i'm just really disappointed that i murdered one vita mod.  it's an understatement to say those things are limited edition engineering fineries :-X

At this point, the device cosmetics have gone from ugly to outrageously hideous from all of the feverish rewiring to get everything back to working order with a second analog before i ran out of steam and monday hits.  i don't want to do anymore upgrades or installs that cause the device to be unusable when the work-week hits and make it so i can't play for several nights :-\
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 14:20:11 by Camineet »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 14:48:21 »
RIP Vita stick number 2, your sacrifice will not be in vain :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Camineet

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 14:52:24 »
lol, i'm reluctant to have its funeral until i keep it around for a while and try to resurrect it :))

but as we've seen, casualties do occur :confused:

Offline Camineet

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 15:51:48 »
damn, got the same problem on the 2nd new vita mod.  it worked perfectly for about a half-hour, and then i lost an axis. 

no idea what's going on.  trying to troubleshoot but it looks like this mod won't work either.  i was very careful in handling this one. 

trying to see if there's some kind of short or other electrical cause...

Offline Camineet

« Reply #309 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:27:18 »
this appears to be some kind of electrical problem.  the dead axis is more like an intermittently stuck axis.  i can get it to unstick by molesting the device in various ways.  but one axis always goes back to continuous-on, or stuck as seen below in the pic with the hat indicating right is activated.

i don't know if i'll be able to solve this problem and will probably just end up having only 1 axis on each the 2nd and 3rd analog which will allow for 2 button commands on each instead of 4.

i can try swapping out the teensy which has always behaved strangely on this sketch with buttons 11 and 12 usually  stuck like this, and button 12 blinking hysterically.
127452-0
the stuck hat in the pic above is also blinking hysterically.  that's why i say this is probably some kind of electrical problem that's beyond my knowledge to fix other than trying to swap out wires and parts.

i'm guessing at this point that the 1st new vita mod that i thought i murdered is actually fine.  it's just this electrical problem that will probably affect all of the new mods...
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:30:06 by Camineet »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:37:06 »
Interesting, is it perhaps OK until it gets warmed up?  Not sure how enclosed the back is in your current design...

Hopefuly W11lcE or hanya are still watching this thread, they may have some idea what's going on.  At least it sounds like you didn't kill one :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Camineet

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 16:57:50 »
Actually, the way it works is, when i newly wire up everything after disconnecting, it works fine.

But after I use analog 2 by moving it around a little bit and watching the on screen hat response, I see 'right' blink intermittently with increasing frequency until it goes to continuous-on or stuck.

it's as if some kind of power bleed is getting drawn through like a magnet and finally taking hold.  as mentioned, poking and handling the device in various ways can get analog 2 to unstick or go to hysteria.  but no amount of molesting can get it to stay unstuck. it always goes back to stuck 'right' as in pic above.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #312 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:21:43 »
i've just now done 2 more troubleshooting experiments.

1st, i tried installing the new analog mod only without sharing the ground or power cables with anything else.  so, with the mod directly connected to the board, i get the exact same results.

next, i tried routing the power cable to the other 3.3v pin on the board.  unfortunately, i got the exact same results.

i think the mods might in fact be faulty, or i just don't know how to use them correclty.  i'll try wiring up another one next weekend or so.

here are some pics of the wireup on the new mod (the 2nd one today).
127456-0
127458-1
you can see i did a good job of soldering these points.  from there, the wires go to the board.  red goes to power. black goes to ground. the 2 yellows go to pins A2 and A3. i've redone the connections on the board about 5 times now, so i doubt it's an issue of a weak connection there.

i also tried connecting to pins A4 and A5 to rule out a problem on the board.  same results.

i also tried connecting the psp analog stick just to troubleshoot further, and that one worked perfectly even when sharing power and ground with the other components.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:23:18 by Camineet »

Offline Camineet

« Reply #313 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:21:12 »
just wired up a 3rd new mod and got the exact same results.  one axis works perfectly, the other is stuck in one direction.  this time left >:D

i've got to give it up for tonight.  monday is nearly here and the device is an unusable mess for next week. oh well.

at any rate,  HEEEEEEEEELLP 

obviously there's something wrong, and it's consistent across 3 of the 4 newly received mods (i haven't tried the 4th and last one).

Offline W11cE

« Reply #314 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:23:38 »
Could you try with another vita stick? That flat ribbon cable breaks easily.
Also could you get actual axis values? The button conversion is not good for debugging as it can behave unpredictably if the axes bounce wildly.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #315 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:40:08 »
oh hi W11cE thanks for reply  :)

i already tried another vita stick while troubleshooting earlier.

the only way i know how to get values is from xpadder as seen below. does this give you the information you need?
127463-0

if there is some other way i should get the values, please let me know and i'll try;D

Offline W11cE

« Reply #316 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:53:36 »
No, the xpadder cant show the axis values.

This will write the values to serial monitor:
Code: [Select]
//PINS
#define STICK_X 0
#define STICK_Y 1

#define HAT_X 2
#define HAT_Y 3

#define HAT2_X 4
#define HAT2_Y 5

//Buttons
#define HAT2_UP 9
#define HAT2_RIGHT 10
#define HAT2_DOWN 11
#define HAT2_LEFT 12

#define OVERVAL 0

int Xstick;
int Ystick;

int Xhat;
int Yhat;
int Xhat2;
int Yhat2;
const int center = 512;
const int hatThreshold = 128;

int Temp;
int myPins[]          = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7};
boolean buttonState[] = {true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true};
boolean oState[]      = {true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true};

void setup()
{
for (int i = 0 ; i < 8 ; i++)
{
pinMode(myPins[i], INPUT_PULLUP);
}

Serial.begin(9600);
//Serial.println("Joystick ready");
Joystick.useManualSend(true);
}

void loop()
{
// X axis computations
Xstick = map(analogRead(STICK_X), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 0, 1023);
Xstick = constrain(Xstick, 0, 1023);
Joystick.X(Xstick);

// Y axis computations
Ystick = map(analogRead(STICK_Y), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 1023, 0);
Ystick = constrain(Ystick, 0, 1023);
Joystick.Y(Ystick);

{
buttonState[i] = digitalRead(myPins[i]); //read physical pin to corresponding buttonState
if(buttonState[i] != oState[i]) // check against previous button state, if changed do something
{
Joystick.button(i + 1, !buttonState[i]);
oState[i] = buttonState[i];   // save state to compare next time
}
}

//HAT
Xhat = analogRead(HAT_X);
Yhat = analogRead(HAT_Y);
Serial.print("Xhat: ");
Serial.println(Xhat);
Serial.print("Yhat: ");
Serial.println(Yhat);
Serial.println("---------------------");
delay(50);

if(Xhat <= center + hatThreshold &&
Xhat >= center - hatThreshold &&
Yhat <= center + hatThreshold &&
Yhat >= center - hatThreshold)
Joystick.hat(-1);
else
{
if(Yhat >= center + hatThreshold){
if(Xhat >= center + hatThreshold)
Joystick.hat(45);
else if(Xhat <= center - hatThreshold)
Joystick.hat(315);
else
Joystick.hat(0);
}
else if(Yhat <= center - hatThreshold){
Joystick.hat(135);
Joystick.hat(225);
else
Joystick.hat(180);
}
Joystick.hat(270);
else
Joystick.hat(90);
}

//HAT2
Xhat2 = analogRead(HAT2_X);
Yhat2 = analogRead(HAT2_Y);

if(Xhat2 <= center + hatThreshold &&
Xhat2 >= center - hatThreshold &&
Yhat2 <= center + hatThreshold &&
Yhat2 >= center - hatThreshold)
hatWithButtons(-1);
else
{
if(Yhat2 >= center + hatThreshold){
if(Xhat2 >= center + hatThreshold)
hatWithButtons(45);
else if(Xhat2 <= center - hatThreshold)
hatWithButtons(315);
else
hatWithButtons(0);
}
else if(Yhat2 <= center - hatThreshold){
hatWithButtons(135);
hatWithButtons(225);
else
hatWithButtons(180);
}
hatWithButtons(270);
else
hatWithButtons(90);
}

// Update joystick state
Joystick.send_now();
}

void hatWithButtons(int val){
switch(val){
case -1:
Joystick.button(HAT2_UP, 0);
Joystick.button(HAT2_RIGHT, 0);
Joystick.button(HAT2_DOWN, 0);
Joystick.button(HAT2_LEFT, 0);
break;
case 0:
Joystick.button(HAT2_UP, 1);
break;
case 45:
Joystick.button(HAT2_RIGHT, 1);
break;
case 90:
break;
case 135:
Joystick.button(HAT2_DOWN, 1);
break;
case 180:
break;
case 225:
Joystick.button(HAT2_LEFT, 1);
break;
case 270:
break;
case 315:
break;
}
}
Dont use this for gaming. (I added 50 ms delay to the loop)

Offline Camineet

« Reply #317 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:02:46 »
ok, i was able to upload this sketch.  but the serial monitor failed to open and i get this error message with 'no serial port name defined':
Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), TD: 1.26, Board: "Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial + Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick, 96 MHz optimized (overclock), US English"

Sketch uses 19,896 bytes (7%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.

Global variables use 6,532 bytes (9%) of dynamic memory, leaving 59,004 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 65,536 bytes.

Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.

Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

no serial port name defined

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

Offline W11cE

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:09:27 »
You have to select the correct serial port from the tools menu.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:49:13 »
oh sorry, i usually have trouble getting serial monitor to work :(

i should have sent this before.  here's the settings in IDE at the bottom. 
127467-0

if you can't find any problem, i can try another pc  ;)

Offline Camineet

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 22:15:12 »
hey i got serial monitor to work by changing usb type to keyboard + mouse + joystick :thumb:

127471-0

and here's the values from the serial monitor:

Xhat: 81
Yhat: 489
---------------------
Xhat: 75
---------------------
Xhat: 72
---------------------
Xhat: 26
---------------------
Xhat: 78
---------------------
Xhat: 77
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 79
---------------------
Xhat: 76
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 80
---------------------
Xhat: 82
---------------------
Xhat: 83
---------------------
Xhat: 84
---------------------
Xhat: 87
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 488
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 86
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 74
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 73
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 71
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 528
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 70
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 69
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 27
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 88
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 90
---------------------
Xhat: 92
---------------------
Xhat: 92
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 89
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 85
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 28
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 29
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 30
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 493
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 60
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 54
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 62
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 63
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 25
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 66
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 64
---------------------
Xhat: 56
Yhat: 490
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 68
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 65
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 24
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 67
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 61
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 58
---------------------
Xhat: 57
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 59
---------------------
Xhat: 55
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 51
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 53
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 50
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

Offline Camineet

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:02:23 »
i forgot you might need the values of the stick while it's moving.  the values i posted before were of the stick not moved at all.

here is output on serial monitor while i moved the stick up, down, left, and right for 5 seconds followed by a 5 second period of no stick movement while i hit control a and control c to copy the results:

Xhat: 5
Yhat: 486
---------------------
Yhat: 485
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 484
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 481
---------------------
Yhat: 487
---------------------
Yhat: 483
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 476
---------------------
Yhat: 432
---------------------
Yhat: 418
---------------------
Yhat: 417
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 416
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 4
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 415
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 475
---------------------
Yhat: 202
---------------------
Yhat: 197
---------------------
Yhat: 192
---------------------
Yhat: 189
---------------------
Yhat: 190
---------------------
Yhat: 177
---------------------
Yhat: 198
---------------------
Yhat: 182
---------------------
Yhat: 192
---------------------
Yhat: 260
---------------------
Yhat: 175
---------------------
Yhat: 225
---------------------
Yhat: 195
---------------------
Yhat: 232
---------------------
Yhat: 196
---------------------
Yhat: 200
---------------------
Yhat: 196
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 203
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 271
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 6
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 247
---------------------
Yhat: 199
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 201
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 266
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 159
---------------------
Yhat: 204
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 217
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 190
---------------------
Yhat: 240
---------------------
Yhat: 237
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 223
---------------------
Yhat: 251
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 234
---------------------
Yhat: 241
---------------------
Yhat: 256
---------------------
Yhat: 245
---------------------
Yhat: 249
---------------------
Yhat: 231
---------------------
Yhat: 222
---------------------
Yhat: 244
---------------------
Yhat: 236
---------------------
Yhat: 219
---------------------
Yhat: 210
---------------------
Yhat: 228
---------------------
Yhat: 221
---------------------
Yhat: 207
---------------------
Yhat: 206
---------------------
Yhat: 194
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 209
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 211
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 205
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 189
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 227
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 195
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 220
---------------------
Yhat: 191
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 237
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 208
---------------------
Yhat: 175
---------------------
Yhat: 208
---------------------
Yhat: 224
---------------------
Yhat: 174
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 216
---------------------
Yhat: 246
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 264
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 260
---------------------
Yhat: 223
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 228
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 151
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 229
---------------------
Yhat: 419
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 498
---------------------
Yhat: 497
---------------------
Yhat: 590
---------------------
Yhat: 727
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 726
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 730
---------------------
Yhat: 733
---------------------
Yhat: 734
---------------------
Yhat: 735
---------------------
Yhat: 738
---------------------
Yhat: 739
---------------------
Yhat: 738
---------------------
Yhat: 737
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 736
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 750
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 733
---------------------
Yhat: 732
---------------------
Yhat: 731
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 729
---------------------
Yhat: 730
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 726
---------------------
Yhat: 723
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 722
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 721
---------------------
Yhat: 722
---------------------
Yhat: 717
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 720
---------------------
Yhat: 719
---------------------
Yhat: 719
---------------------
Yhat: 718
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 716
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 715
---------------------
Yhat: 715
---------------------
Yhat: 713
---------------------
Yhat: 711
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 710
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 703
---------------------
Yhat: 702
---------------------
Yhat: 701
---------------------
Yhat: 636
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:41:43 »
So those Y values are what you're hoping for: 210 is less than 512-128, 485 is within 128 of 512, and 710 is more than 512+128, so it works.

The X value reads 5 no matter which way you move the stick - this is beyond the limits of the stick (which will bottom out at a similar value to Y, around 210) and it's practically zero which means it's shorted either to either ground or power (not sure which way it reads the values)

Assuming it's not actually shorted you'll need to work out when it goes wrong.

Does it get stuck after a while plugged in without you pressing the stick?
If not does it get stuck if you push the stick far enough to register but not all the way?
Or does it only get stuck after you've pressed it a certain way (e.g up and left)?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Camineet

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:30:06 »
Thanks for the feedback orange :-*

When I first connect the device in the course of a new wireup, the analog is not stuck and functions properly for at least a few seconds. 

The only time the analog is not stuck is when I have completely disconnected the wiring and done a new wire up.  i've done that many times in the course of troubleshooting by trying another new mod, or swapping out wiring, or swapping out the vita stick, or trying on pins A4 A5 instead of A2 A3.

i've seen this many times now, and for the first several times thought i resolved the problem because i get at least a few seconds of proper functioning.

If I just disconnect and  reconnect the usb cable after the analog has already become stuck, it will be stuck when I reconnect it just like it was before disconnecting.  It almost seems like there is some kind of static charge that builds up and won't let go unless the device is not only disconnected from USB, but the analog stick and mod are actually removed from the teensy by way of desoldering.

Or does it only get stuck after you've pressed it a certain way (e.g up and left)?

After a new wireup, if I move up-and-down on the good axis, it doesn't seem to exacerbate the bad axis getting stuck.  When I move left and right on the bad axis I get hysteria on one side for a little while, and then that side eventually becomes stuck after just a few seconds.  It seems that moving the stick in the direction that eventually becomes stuck causes its to become stuck.

If not does it get stuck if you push the stick far enough to register but not all the way?

I'll work on this particular troubleshooting test later today or tomorrow.

I have never tried doing a new wire up, connecting the device, seeing that it is not stuck, and just letting it sit there to see if it becomes stuck.  I will try to soon as I get a chance ;)

Offline W11cE

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 17:03:18 »
Could you get the values from the stick when it is working after you have reconnected the wires ?

Offline Camineet

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:05:10 »
Could you get the values from the stick when it is working after you have reconnected the wires ?

new mod#2 is working on hat right now after rewiring it.  new mod#2 actually worked for a full 20 minute game before it became stuck before.  i don't know why it's working right now, and i don't know if or when it will become stuck again because i can't find any reason for it to do that.

here is serial output for new mod#2 on hat A2 A3 at rest:
Xhat: 549
---------------------
Xhat: 553
Yhat: 496
---------------------
Yhat: 494
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 554
---------------------
Xhat: 548
Yhat: 499
---------------------
Xhat: 550
---------------------
Xhat: 551
Yhat: 495
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 555
Yhat: 492
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 552
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 491
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 500
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

here is serial output for new mod#2 on hat A2 A3 with me moving up, down, left, right for 5 seconds with an at rest delay at the beginning and end:
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 547
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 533
---------------------
Xhat: 538
---------------------
Xhat: 520
---------------------
Xhat: 519
---------------------
Xhat: 511
---------------------
Xhat: 420
---------------------
Xhat: 469
---------------------
Xhat: 541
---------------------
Xhat: 537
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 546
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 556
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 535
---------------------
Xhat: 543
---------------------
Xhat: 511
Yhat: 479
---------------------
Xhat: 490
Yhat: 482
---------------------
Xhat: 461
Yhat: 480
---------------------
Xhat: 437
---------------------
Xhat: 405
---------------------
Xhat: 361
Yhat: 483
---------------------
Xhat: 307
---------------------
Xhat: 285
Yhat: 464
---------------------
Xhat: 281
---------------------
Xhat: 386
---------------------
Xhat: 539
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 350
Yhat: 437
---------------------
Xhat: 273
Yhat: 425
---------------------
Xhat: 271
Yhat: 428
---------------------
Xhat: 272
---------------------
Yhat: 426
---------------------
Xhat: 275
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 422
---------------------
Yhat: 434
---------------------
Yhat: 433
---------------------
Yhat: 436
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 434
---------------------
Yhat: 430
---------------------
Yhat: 432
---------------------
Yhat: 439
---------------------
Yhat: 438
---------------------
Yhat: 435
---------------------
Yhat: 438
---------------------
Yhat: 442
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 443
---------------------
Yhat: 437
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 430
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 423
---------------------
Yhat: 424
---------------------
Yhat: 421
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 420
---------------------
Yhat: 423
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 274
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 414
---------------------
Xhat: 276
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 413
---------------------
Yhat: 407
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 406
---------------------
Yhat: 411
---------------------
Yhat: 406
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 277
Yhat: 409
---------------------
Xhat: 277
Yhat: 412
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 407
---------------------
Yhat: 405
---------------------
Xhat: 278
---------------------
Yhat: 400
---------------------
Yhat: 409
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 408
---------------------
Xhat: 285
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 568
---------------------
Xhat: 572
---------------------
Xhat: 575
---------------------
Xhat: 583
---------------------
Xhat: 679
---------------------
Xhat: 806
---------------------
Xhat: 820
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 817
---------------------
Xhat: 823
---------------------
Xhat: 819
Yhat: 506
---------------------
Xhat: 823
Yhat: 517
---------------------
Yhat: 520
---------------------
Xhat: 824
Yhat: 526
---------------------
Yhat: 526
---------------------
Xhat: 818
Yhat: 540
---------------------
Yhat: 542
---------------------
Xhat: 816
Yhat: 540
---------------------
Xhat: 812
Yhat: 542
---------------------
Xhat: 815
Yhat: 554
---------------------
Xhat: 799
Yhat: 582
---------------------
Xhat: 800
Yhat: 591
---------------------
Yhat: 586
---------------------
Yhat: 587
---------------------
Xhat: 797
Yhat: 583
---------------------
Yhat: 580
---------------------
Xhat: 803
Yhat: 589
---------------------
Yhat: 581
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 801
Yhat: 584
---------------------
Xhat: 805
---------------------
Xhat: 802
Yhat: 592
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 587
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 593
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 804
---------------------
Yhat: 588
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 584
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 578
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 579
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 577
---------------------
Xhat: 798
---------------------
Xhat: 807
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 808
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 576
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 809
---------------------
Yhat: 575
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 574
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 576
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 573
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 571
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 808
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 572
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 569
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 692
Yhat: 549
---------------------
Xhat: 558
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 557
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 468
---------------------
Yhat: 361
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 545
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 542
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 533
---------------------
Xhat: 544
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 540
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 532
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 536
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Yhat: 215
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 563
Yhat: 552
---------------------
Yhat: 706
---------------------
Xhat: 531
Yhat: 743
---------------------
Xhat: 526
Yhat: 747
---------------------
Xhat: 531
Yhat: 746
---------------------
Xhat: 530
Yhat: 749
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 573
---------------------
Yhat: 744
---------------------
Xhat: 578
---------------------
Xhat: 577
Yhat: 745
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 581
---------------------
Xhat: 585
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 582
---------------------
Xhat: 585
---------------------
Xhat: 588
---------------------
Yhat: 748
---------------------
Xhat: 580
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 579
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 584
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 587
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 576
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
Xhat: 589
---------------------
Xhat: 565
Yhat: 695
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------

i think the numbers above show that it&#
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:10:44 by Camineet »

Offline Camineet

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:11:03 »
my previous post failed to post completely, and i can't modify it.  it seems corrupted and can't be modified.

continuing...

i think the numbers above show that it's working perfectly, right?

i have also tried new mod #2 as analog on A0 A1, and it works perfectly. 

I will continue using new mod #2 to see if it will become stock or dead again.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2016, 13:21:01 by Camineet »

Offline Camineet

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:22:59 »
old mod has always worked well as analog.  it also worked in my tests in the past as analog to digital on A2 A3 and A4 A5, and today i changed it from analog A0 A1 to analog to digital A4 A5 to test it.  it works perfectly there.  i checked this setup to rule out any problem with these pins on the board.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 09:28:03 »

new mod #3 fails upon wireup. so, i cannot post axis values before it becomes stuck or dead on one axis.  it fails with one dead axis immediately upon connecting.

new mod #3 also fails as analog on A0 A1 with the result of one axis working well, and one axis dead.

i'll try some more testing on new mods 1, 3, and 4 in the coming days.  if i can't get them to work in any configuration, i might try buying another teensy board to see if they will work that way.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 20:08:30 »
Hey guys, I've got a final determination on the new mods after some additional testing :cool:

Two of the four new mods work perfectly, and the other two just don't work.

That's okay, because I now have a total of three working mods (2 new ones, and the old one) that will allow me to complete construction of the device to have 3 vita sticks on top :D

I now have it put together with two working analog sticks and will likely take a break from the project for a week or two to just enjoy using the device ^-^

Thereafter, I will install a steel rod post upon which to mount the third analog stick to the left side of the others and will then have my dream game controller.

I'll post the work that's done for that piece of the project in the coming weeks.

Thereafter, the remaining work will just be for cosmetics and durability. 

So, this is great news and I think we are seeing the very latest stages of this project which will probably be coming to an end in no more than 30 days :p

Offline Camineet

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:40:05 »
hey guys, wondering if you can help with a small tweak.

on each stick, one of the axes is reversed.  moving up on the analog stick results in down, and moving down on the stick results in up.  this has always been the case since W11cE gave us the working sketch several weeks ago.

same with the hat stick.

i've been able to override this issue using xpadder for league, so it's not a problem at all there.  but some other games recognize the analog sticks natively without xpadder.  and trying to use xpadder for override in those games results in hysteria.  the analog stick's input is read natively as up, for example, while xpadder is sending an override of down.  so, the character will just stutter in place.

i tried looking at the sketch to see if i could figure out how to reverse it, but i can't figure it out.  can someone please try to help?

if someone can help with this, it will be to reverse the opposite axis than what you're expecting. 

the following will make this tweak a bit confusing to implement, and some trial and error might be needed...

due to the orientation of the ribbon cable, i've had to reverse the x and y cables when connecting them to the board.  if i don't, then left/right and up/down are reversed.  so, i've got the x pinouts connected to A1 and A3 instead of A0 and A2 as specified here.

#define STICK_X 0
#define STICK_Y 1

#define HAT_X   2
#define HAT_Y   3

here's the full sketch from W11cE i've been using for several weeks that i'm trying to figure out how to change:

//PINS
#define STICK_X 0
#define STICK_Y 1

#define HAT_X   2
#define HAT_Y   3

#define HAT2_X  4
#define HAT2_Y  5

//Buttons
#define HAT2_UP   9
#define HAT2_RIGHT  10
#define HAT2_DOWN   11
#define HAT2_LEFT   12

#define OVERVAL 0

int Xstick;
int Ystick;

int Xhat;
int Yhat;
int Xhat2;
int Yhat2;
const int center = 512;

int Temp;
int myPins[]          = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7};
boolean buttonState[] = {true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true};
boolean oState[]      = {true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true, true};

void setup()
{
  {
    pinMode(myPins[i], INPUT_PULLUP);
  }

//Serial.begin(9600);
  //Serial.println("Joystick ready");
  Joystick.useManualSend(true);
}

void loop()
{
  // X axis computations
  Joystick.X(Xstick);

// Y axis computations
  Joystick.Y(Ystick);

{
    buttonState[i] = digitalRead(myPins[i]); //read physical pin to corresponding buttonState
    if(buttonState[i] != oState[i]) // check against previous button state, if changed do something
    {
      Joystick.button(i + 1, !buttonState[i]);
      oState[i] = buttonState[i];   // save state to compare next time
    }
  }

//HAT

Joystick.hat(-1);
  else
  {
        Joystick.hat(45);
        Joystick.hat(315);
      else
        Joystick.hat(0);
    }
        Joystick.hat(135);
        Joystick.hat(225);
      else
        Joystick.hat(180);
    }
      Joystick.hat(270);
    else
      Joystick.hat(90);
  }

//HAT2
  Xhat2 = analogRead(HAT2_X);
  Yhat2 = analogRead(HAT2_Y);

if(Xhat2 <= center + hatThreshold &&
  Xhat2 >= center - hatThreshold &&
  Yhat2 <= center + hatThreshold &&
  Yhat2 >= center - hatThreshold)
  hatWithButtons(-1);
  else
  {
    if(Yhat2 >= center + hatThreshold){
        hatWithButtons(45);
        hatWithButtons(315);
      else
        hatWithButtons(0);
    }
    else if(Yhat2 <= center - hatThreshold){
        hatWithButtons(135);
        hatWithButtons(225);
      else
        hatWithButtons(180);
    }
      hatWithButtons(270);
    else
      hatWithButtons(90);
  }

// Update joystick state
  Joystick.send_now();
}

void hatWithButtons(int val){
  switch(val){
    case -1:
      break;
    case 0:
      break;
    case 45:
      break;
    case 90:
      break;
    case 135:
      break;
    case 180:
      break;
    case 225:
      break;
    case 270:
      break;
    case 315:
      break;
  }
}

i was guessing that maybe it's this section that needs to be swapped or reversed, but i don't know how to do it:

void loop()
{
  // X axis computations
  Joystick.X(Xstick);

// Y axis computations
  Joystick.Y(Ystick);

i tried a few things such as inserting a '-' in front of overval, but nothing changed in the performance :rolleyes:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #331 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 04:20:02 »
I think you need to take the value read from 1023 to inverse it (I've put it on Xstick - it's first thing in the morning so can't get my head around mapping X/Y to up/down :-[)

void loop()
{
  // X axis computations
  Xstick = map(1023-analogRead(STICK_X), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 0, 1023);
  Joystick.X(Xstick);
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline W11cE

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:16:24 »
Yes, that works. Or by changing whats already there, like this:
Ystick = map(analogRead(STICK_Y), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 1023, 0);->
Ystick = map(analogRead(STICK_Y), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 0, 1023);
You can read more about map from here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Map

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:27:43 »
Yes, that works. Or by changing whats already there, like this:
Ystick = map(analogRead(STICK_Y), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 1023, 0);->
Ystick = map(analogRead(STICK_Y), OVERVAL, 1024 - OVERVAL, 0, 1023);
You can read more about map from here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Map

Interesting, thanks :)

Seems this function isn't really doing much here as 'overall' is not set and the values read are only in the middle half of the range (around 250-750) so the camera could be more sensitive?  I guess that's tweaking for when everything works...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline W11cE

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 15:36:28 »
Yes. This is the most simple way to scale the axis, which in most cases would be necessary with vita stick. Now it is not really doing anything.

Offline Camineet

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 16:39:05 »
Hey guys, thanks for the help swapping the analog y-axis.  I tried it just now, and it works well :thumb:

Recently I have just been playing every day and enjoying.  The device's performance is outstanding :D

I've only done a little bit of work recently about once a week to refine ergonomics by repositioning the keys one by one when I find the time.  Ergonomics at this point are just about 100% :cool:

129668-0
129670-1
129672-2
129674-3
129676-4
The wiring at the top for the analog sticks is still just temporary and obviously requires a total revision.  So, the device is still extremely ugly because of that.  However, once I have the third analog stick and do the complete wiring revision, I will be able to begin the final finish on the device which should make it comparable to other game controllers in terms of how it looks sitting in a room as a pc peripheral. 

The final finish will be to trim down the Clay by about 1 or 2 mm and then replace the material that was removed with Sugru.  I've already done this on one key: the outside index finger key.  It is therefore now permanent.  When I'm able to, I will do this with each section of surface area until the entire device has a Sugru shell.

Can you guys tell me what I need to swap in this piece of the code in order to fix the inverted y-axis that remains on the hat?

//HAT

Joystick.hat(-1);
  else
  {
        Joystick.hat(45);
        Joystick.hat(315);
      else
        Joystick.hat(0);
    }
        Joystick.hat(135);
        Joystick.hat(225);
      else
        Joystick.hat(180);
    }
      Joystick.hat(270);
    else
      Joystick.hat(90);
  }

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #336 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 23:27:38 »
Here's a potential solution (untested!) that

#include <math.h>  // atan2, M_PI, square, sqrt

//HAT

int HAT_ZERO = -1;
int hat_angle[] = {0,45,90,135,180,225,270,315};

//// HELPERS
// like Arduino's `map`, but with doubles instead of longs
double dmap(double x,double in_min,double in_max,double out_min,double out_max)
{
    return (x-in_min)*(out_max-out_min)/(in_max-in_min)+out_min;
}

bool close_enough(int actual,int ideal,int arc)
{
    // smaller value results in narrower valid angles (requires more accuracy)
    // must be less than or equal to 22, or coords will overlap
    arc = constrain(arc,1,22)/2;  // half an arc in each direction
    int ub = ideal+arc;  // upper bound
    int lb = (ideal?ideal:360)-arc;  // lower bound
    return (ideal?(lb<actual&&actual<ub):(lb<actual||actual<ub));
}

//// JOYSTICK
// x and y coordinates to Joystick degrees
//
// Usage:
// Joystick.hat(xy_to_joy(Xhat,Yhat));
// Joystick.hat(xy_to_joy(Xhat,Yhat,true));  // invert y axis
int xy_to_joy(int x,int y,bool inv_y=false)
{
    // normalize coordinates
    double mx = dmap((double)x,0,1023,-1.0,1.0);
    double my = dmap((double)y,0,1023,(inv_y?1.0:-1.0),(inv_y?-1.0:1.0));

// convert rectangular to polar coordinates
    double r = sqrt(square(mx)+square(my));
    double radius_keepout = 0.125;
    if (r < radius_keepout) {
        // Previously, hatThreshold was set to 128, which is about 1/8 of 1023,
        // so I tried to keep the same relative amount.
        return HAT_ZERO;  // inside of "radius dead zone"
    } else {
        // return nearest hat degrees
        int degrees = int(M_PI/180*(M_PI+atan2(my,mx)));
        for (int i=0;i<8;++i) {
            int arc_width = 40;
            // arc_width 40 gives dead zones 5 degrees wide at:
            // 22.5 67.5 112.5 157.5 202.5 247.5 292.5 337.5
            if (close_enough(degrees,hat_angle[i],arc_width)) {
                return hat_angle[i];
            }
        }
        return HAT_ZERO;  // inside of "angle dead zone"
    }
}

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 04:39:23 »
Interesting hoosieree - looks like you went for the circular deadzone gettin pi involved? I'm on my phone so will have a read later :)

An easier (but way less impressive) fix would be to do the same as the other stick, like this. Please check the capitalisation!

YHat = 1024 - analogRead(HAT_Y);
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #338 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 10:17:32 »
Derp, I had more text in my reply but chopped it out accidentally.  You got the gist though.  It first scales/offsets the analogRead x and y values so each is between -1 and 1.  Then it converts rectangular to polar coordinates so you can adjust the central deadzone with just one parameter.  There's also the ability to adjust dead zones in between the different hat angles if you want.  Not sure if it's desirable, but you can set it to 45 to make it go away.

Just noticed a mistake in my code, it should say:

arc = constrain(arc,1,45)/2;  // half an arc in each direction
//                             ^^ 1/8 of a circle in degrees, corresponding to 8 "hat" angles.

I migrated from 8-bit AVR to 32-bit Teensy 3.x a while back and it's really freeing to be able to use real math when the problem calls for it, so that's what I prefer.

Offline Camineet

The hatThreshold constant is the null zone for the hat. Anything inside a square of 2x hatThreshold size, centered around "center", is considered NULL.

Maybe you could try to compute the linear distance between the center and your position, instead of comparing toward axis position.

ok, so i just need to make the 128 bigger and test for the desired nullzone :thumb:

the way it's coded is with a square nullzone?  i didn't realize that.  square is actually ideal for digital use because of how it minimizes the chance of inadvertent keypresses due to imperfect movement.

Hey guys, I'm back to working on trying to increase the nullzone for the analog to digital hats.

I just now implemented this line to fix the inversion problem
Yhat = 1024 - analogRead(HAT_Y); 

thanks for helping with that  :-*  it works

and now I'm interested in finally resolving the null zone issue

As I mentioned before, I actually need a square nullzone that is sizable in order to avoid inadvertent keypresses.  A square nullzone minimizes the probability of inadvertent keypresses due to sideways movement.

Thanks for the recent solution that allows for complex numerous adjustments and customizability allowing for what I'm guessing is unlimited variations in size and shape of the null zone.  That's quite a bit beyond my ability and needs in this application, but I'm hoping that code will benefit somebody who has a specific need for such a tailored nullzone for some game that requires it.

I just need to know which one of these numbers to change in order to increase the square nullzone to something like 50%

//HAT
  Yhat = 1024 - analogRead(HAT_Y);

Joystick.hat(-1);
  else
  {
        Joystick.hat(45);
        Joystick.hat(315);
      else
        Joystick.hat(0);
    }
        Joystick.hat(135);
        Joystick.hat(225);
      else
        Joystick.hat(180);
    }
      Joystick.hat(270);
    else
      Joystick.hat(90);
  }

Performance otherwise on the device is outstanding  :))

i'm able to play ranked games with my friends and everything :D

there are just a few troublespots at the moment that are preventing me from moving foreward.

one is the zero nullzone in the one hat that has been implemented which is causing me to Inadvertently activate some commands sometimes.  Example, I press up to Flash and end up also Healing which is mapped to right due to a slight right-side movement in addition to my attempt to press up only.

The other issue that is preventing me from moving forward is that I constructed the device in a way such that the pinky finger keys are too close to each other.  They actually pinch my pinky enough to be around 20% depressed.  In other words, inserting my pinky in between the two pinky finger keys causes each of them to be pressed by around 10 or 20%.  Since the outside pinky key is mapped to the shop, I often inadvertently open the shop in the middle of a team fight, which is fairly well disastrous  :-\

Unfortunately, while these kinds of adjustments are normally very easy with some adjustments of pulling or pushing a switch into or out of , or sideways in the Clay, I have run out of outward available distance because of the underlying rigid structure.  I therefore must redo the outside pinky finger steel rod foundation by tearing down the pinky finger key to reach the foundation of sugru and steel rod post which I may then redo.

After these issues are resolved, I plan to implement the third analog stick (hat2) :cool:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Sorry to hear about your bad shopping habits :p

The setting you need to change is actually this one near the top

Bigger value = bigger nullzone.  Good luck with the rebuild :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Camineet

thanks orange, set it to 175 and now it's much easier to get a get discrete directional activations :thumb:

Offline Camineet

updaaaaaaaaaat3 :D

Hey guys, got an update.

The device now has around 25% of its surface area coated with a smooth Sugru layer effectively acting as a shell.  I have no real sculpting talent and there are lumpy areas that in certain light cause the device to take on the appearance of a monster in a Japanese horror film.  If I do some sanding, it will take away the shiny appearance of the cured Sugru, but I'm not sure I will bother with that :rolleyes:

131281-0
131283-1

In other news, as previously reported, only two of the four new mods from W11cE were found to work.  And so I have had one of them installed for hat1 and successfully using hat1 alongside the original true analog using the old mod for probably around six weeks now.

And then without any trauma or mishandling, the installed new mod for hat1 died.  The way it died was pretty goofy.  First, one axis went into partial death, halfway working but mostly having one direction on one axis stuck for a while until finally that axis died entirely.  Then, the other axis that was working had one direction die a day later.  One day after that the only remaining direction on that axis died as well leaving zero directions functioning.

Luckily I still have one more new mod from W11cE, which I have just now installed for hat1. 

Of course,Without a total of three working mods, I am unable to finish the device as originally designed with three analog sticks on top :'(

That is to say, the device is intended to have one analog stick for camera control, one analog stick as hat1 for summoner's spells (flash, teleport, ignite, etc.), and one analog stick as hat2 for in game item usage (health potions, shields, etc.).

Luckily, our friend W11cE was kind enough to agree to fabricate and send me two more old-style mods for cost :-*

Of course, as I always make sure to show my appreciation for the people who help me in my various goofball activities, I doubled the payment amount requested by W11cE :cool:  it's actually only $60 bucks, which in reality is not even half i'm sure of what would normally be required to have probably the world's most respected and talented game controller mod artisan to do such work. 

thanks again W11cE!

Hopefully I will have the two additional old-style mods within 30 days or so :cool:

Either way, I'd like to report that I continue to play daily for at least two hours in the evenings.  The device's performance remains outstanding.  I'm experiencing what I perceived to be absolutely zero usage trauma and cannot foresee any at any time in the future.  There is simply so little force required of the fingers and thumb to actuate the switches in my design that I have no concerns of injury, and i couldn't be happier with this project ;D

Offline Camineet

sry for no recent updates guys. i've been working on it and will have updates as soon as i can nail down some open items ;)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Your 'lack of update' post alerted me to the previous update - more dead sticks :(

Lets hope the new old ones are as reliable as the old old one is!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Camineet

lol orange, always good for a laugh :))

Offline Camineet

Hi guys, got a pretty good update for us ;)

Around 90% of the device is now permanent with a sugru shell.

The old-style mods from W11cE arrived about two weeks back.  Luckily, one of them works :))

Unfortunately, the second one has a dead axis upon arrival.  W11cE told me when shipping that he wasn't able to test the mods because his PS Vita analog stick's ribbon cable broke in two.  Of course I can't complain and am always grateful for W11cE going to the trouble of making these tricky items for me.  For what I'm paying, I can really only expect W11cE to make a best effort on the mods with the hope that they will work.  It isn't reasonable for us to expect any kind of guaranteed performance when this friend is essentially doing a favor.

With a newly received and working old-style mod, it seems I will be able to finish the device.  For probably the past 60 days, I have successfully been using the device with two analog sticks on top as last reported.  The primary analog stick, as always, is for camera control, and utilizes the first old-style mod received from W11cE.  The second analog stick, as reported previously, is for summoner spells such as flash/ignite/heal/etc. 

The mod facilitating use of the second analog stick is the only working new style mod from the set of four sent by W11cE some months ago.  The other three new style mods, as previously reported, all had one or more axes dead.

The 4th new style mod that is now in use also had a dead axis periodically as well, actually.  This axis death was temporary and would occur around once a week for one day or so earlier this year.  It was very strange.  I would simply wake my PC from sleep to get started on the work day, and when attempting to place my cursor into a field into which I was going to input some text, I would all of a sudden see a series of f's or dashes which are the hot keys for my summoner spells.  This signified a stuck axis (the device is always connected via USB, sitting on my desk, and ready for me to jump into que for a battle on Summoner’s Rift).  There was nothing I was ever able to do to get the single dead axis to revive.  But each time this would happen, the next day, the axis would be unstuck without me doing anything, as if the sun rising on a new day had some effect, and it would work perfectly again.

It was for this reason that I requested two more old-style mods from W11cE which would allow me to discard the intermittently failing but often working 4th new style mod, and would give me a total of three old-style mods which I still believe are the more reliable of the two types.

For whatever reason, I have not observed single axis death for any days during the past five or six weeks on the 4th old style mod that continues to be in use.  Therefore, I have elected to finish the device with that mod remaining in place as well as implementing the recently received working old-style mod.

Please see below the pick of the new style mod in place facilitating use of the second analog stick.  You can see that I have recently cut channels for the wires.

135082-0
135084-1
I have just now this evening made this section permanent as seen below with clay filling and a sugru shell.

135086-2
If the new style mod fails again in any fashion other than an intermittence periodic single day death, perhaps I will ask to trouble W11cE for a production run of one or two more old style mods next year.  For now, I want to give that dude a break from this tricky work with my gratitude :-*

There is now a new ergonomic issue that I must address with the device.  I mentioned some time ago that I plan to swap out the springs in the outside leg switches in order to make them easier to actuate.  Given that our fingers probably have something like 20 to 50 times more strength when pulling than when extending, I have always thought that reduced actuation force in the outside keys leg is an obvious and ultimately necessary consideration.

As it turns out, I actually experienced a bit of a physical problem earlier this week in my index and middle finger knuckles at the base of my fingers from hitting those outside keys.  I experienced some pain that was clearly the result of hitting the outside keys and has already completely gone away after not playing for 48 hours or so.

It’s not an RSI, is just one of those temporary aches that come along and go away pretty quickly as long as they are well respected.  These kinds of pains are perhaps a predecessor to RSI.

At any rate, I have done a research project and made a project plan to replace the springs with the 45 g ones found here when they are back in stock:

https://www.originativeco.com/collections/accessories/products/springs?variant=10816882565

I also plan to follow the tutorials on how to lubricate cherry switches.  Hopefully by taking down the required actuation force by quite a bit, I will be able to continue using the device with its current design.  I really hope so, because performance is just outrageously brilliant.  I’m back on the ranked team and am enjoying it immensely.

Also in the coming weeks I look forward to implementing the third analog stick.  Doing so will eliminate the need to access items in game with an alt key map which has been a significant limitation to my game mechanics :thumb:

Offline Camineet

Hey guys, got a pretty good update for us :cool:

The cost of the planned upgrade to springs and lubrication for the outside leg keys is $41.  I put off purchasing the items due to the significant expense, but have just now finally placed the orders.  I went with the 35 g springs from mechanical keyboards.com and the GH recommended DuPont silicone Teflon lubricant.  These items were not cheap.

I have recently excavated the area into which the third analog stick hardware will be placed.
136144-0
and have begun preparing the hardware for installation...
136146-1
136148-2
And I have settled on placement of the third analog stick in terms of positioning and tilt as follows...
136150-3
136152-4
136154-5

As you can see, the third analog stick sits a bit higher than the primary stick, which is not optimal.  I have chosen to accept this design flaw for a couple reasons. 

First, The third analog stick is only used for items which require access probably once every couple of minutes unlike the primary camera stick which is essentially used continuously throughout the 40 minute matches.  The third stick is perfectly accessible without strain despite the fact that it would probably be a bit better were I to have been able to position it a quarter-inch lower or so.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, the work required in order to position the third analog stick lower (or deeper, depending on how you think about it) such that it is in line with the placement of the primary stick would require unearthing of the mod for the primary stick.  Each time any work is done in, around, or upon one of the mods, there is the chance it will suffer trauma and break.  This risk is significant, and I choose to avoid it whenever possible.

At any rate, I have done some brief ergonomics testing with the third analog stick positioned as pictured, and it will do quite nicely.

Other related activities and thoughts are as follows.  I have begun the work of risk management for the device.

The first consideration is how to insure the device.  I will be doing quite a bit of overseas travel if things go well this year, so I will need to find a carrier that will insure the device for upwards of $3000 or so.

I also need to find a crush proof case such as a pelican case.  I'm having trouble finding one that fits well without being very oversized and taking up a wasteful amount of baggage space.

Finally, and perhaps most interestingly, I have conceived of a way to implement PS Vita analog sticks without the need for mods in the event that any of the mods currently in use fail.

Yes, I plan to attempt to solder wired directly onto the PS Vita ribbon cable.  I have read all of the threads explaining how and why doing so is not viable.  I also understand that W11cE's reason for going to the significant trouble of creating the mod solution in the first place was because of the difficulty of this particular soldering job.

However, I have conceived the way to do it.

I'll follow up this post with how I plan to do it.  Have to head out right now ;)

Offline Camineet

Back.

My experience with PS Vita ribbon cables (yeah i know they're not really ribbon cables, but better described as flat cables) Is different from that of W11Ce's.  He found the ribbon cables on his PS Vita sticks to be fragile and easily broken.  Perhaps the PS Vita sticks he has on hand came from a newer or older production run with different durability properties than the ones I have.

The ones I have are extremely durable.  I have beaten the sh*t out of them throughout the course of this project and they hold up well.  One of them was even folded to the extent that it has a permanent crease in it.  Regardless, it continues to perform.

From what I have observed, the difficulty in soldering wire onto the teeny tiny pinouts on the ribbon cable has to do with size.  I'm guessing that the materials don't present any problem and that the material in the ribbon cable will adhere to and make a connection with solder.  At least I hope so.

I found an example on one of my HDDs of what I believe to be the same material with wire soldered directly onto it as pictured here...
136162-0

The solder I have on hand along with my soldering gun tip are entirely too large to handle the delicate precision work needed to attach solid core wire to the ribbon cable pinouts due to the size issue.

So, if I have need in the future, I plan to attempt to get the job done by cutting in between the ribbon cable pinouts and separate them like fingers.  I have a spiderco dragonfly that's frighteningly sharp which should be able to make that cut.  Otherwise, an X-Acto hobby knife might work as well.

After separating the pinouts of the ribbon cable like fingers, I plan to try to take stranded wire and wrap one finger at a time once or twice around.  Doing so might eliminate the size problem and not require such precision work in order to successfully land a drop of solder where it's needed in order to fuse the stranded wire to one finger of the ribbon cable adequately such that connection is made.

Perhaps this idea is ill-conceived and uninformed.  Hopefully I don't even need to try it :))