Author Topic: Are there any truly programmable mice?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline blastoid

Are there any truly programmable mice?
« on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:54:14 »
I'm looking for a mouse with programmable side buttons, where the programming stays with the device and doesn't require any special software to be installed on the PC. Preferably an MMO-style mouse with lots of side buttons. Seems like all the MMO mice are "programmable" through their specialty software only, but I'm hoping to find something to use at work where installing software is not allowed.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Are there any truly programmable mice?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 11:58:01 »
Roccat

Offline blastoid

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 20:30:33 »
Roccat
Awesome, thanks! Just bought a Tyon.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:49:15 »
Man, the input devices forum is pretty dead, huh?

Anyway, got my Tyon in yesterday, and it's awesome! I installed the software and configured some macros, then plugged it into a different PC with no software, and the mappings worked perfectly.

Highly recommended!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 22:51:13 »
I'm enjoying my Roccat. I got a Kone Pure Optical from GH's mouse guide. There is even linux drivers available to configure the device without needing to find a windows machine first. :thumb:

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 09:15:40 »
Which mice rely on the software? I've owned a Razor Naga and currently a Logitech G600, both have programmable side buttons and they only need the software to actually change the config. I can change the layout out my desktop, plug the mice into my laptop which doesn't have the software and all of the keybinds come with the mouse. I like both of the mice but prefer the G600, the 3rd top button on top gets a ton of use from me.

Offline blastoid

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 12:36:26 »
Which mice rely on the software? I've owned a Razor Naga and currently a Logitech G600, both have programmable side buttons and they only need the software to actually change the config. I can change the layout out my desktop, plug the mice into my laptop which doesn't have the software and all of the keybinds come with the mouse. I like both of the mice but prefer the G600, the 3rd top button on top gets a ton of use from me.

Oh, really? It's a difficult feature to search for, because they all claim to be programmable, but very few go into details. Specifically, I wouldn't have expected the Razer to behave that way; I have a BlackWidow Ultimate, and its macro keys require Synapse for any functionality.

The one thing about this Tyon mouse is that I'm having trouble getting it to behave properly with Dvorak. At work, I'm using a WASD V2 switched to Dvorak with DIN (hardware-level), so the OS is Qwerty, and all is well. But on my laptop, where I'm switching in Windows Control Panel, I can't seem to get consistent behavior. I'm still doing some testing and am in discussions with Roccat support.