Author Topic: [IC] Fox Lab - Leaf 60 (GB start)  (Read 61678 times)

Offline mnpq.raven

Re: [IC] Fox Lab - Leaf 60
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 20:52:50 »
  • Colors of PVD brass versions: gold, silver, rose gold
Does this also apply to the brass plates in the non-brass(PC and aluminum cases) versions ? And other than brass is there any other plate material ?
Also how's the slope ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:22:28 by mnpq.raven »

Offline azharkh

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 20:53:18 »
what are the plate materials?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 20:56:50 »
Shipping information?

Not Senter but I believe most of his designs are ran through ZFrontier (at least the Time TKL which I own as well as their recent Leaf 80) - I can't recall what exact method of shipping they use but the costs were actually included in the price for the Time, not sure how it was handled for the Leaf 80 but ZF's options tend to be very affordable (even internationally) when the tag is not inclusive of it.

Thanks for the info! I felt the need to ask because, like you, I think the aluminum and PC kit is priced very reasonably, and I'm hoping shipping doesn't tip the scales too much for me.

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:27:05 »
Any pictures of the opaque black polycarb material available?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline bengine

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:30:10 »

https://imgur.com/a/abfRyVH

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:31:28 »

That's the black pc? I thought it was black ano.

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:34:38 »
Clear polycarb looks really good. Probably the first polycarb case that caught my eye. But I am really eyeing all brass!

Offline ossetepo

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:42:18 »

That's the black pc? I thought it was black ano.

You're not the only one, I assumed that was the black e-coat too.  That looks super, super good.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 22:39:21 »

• Two versions of proprietary PCBs with middle USB ports. The first version supports variants of MX layouts and WKL ALPS layout. The second version supports hotswap and dedicated HHKB/WKL layout. Both are USB C + QMK

Does this mean the pcb will have just have mx / alps solder holes for all positions (e.g. The split space bar)?

In other words, it possible for me to just order a split space alps plate and use your pcb? (I don't see you mentioning the split space alps plate)

I understand if I'm just being too much of a snow flake. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2019, 22:48:55 by fireworm »

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 22:49:15 »
Show Image

Show Image

Simply put, this is an IC for 60% version of Leaf 80.
This IC is not for checking interests because we will run it for sure.
The purpose of this IC is for collecting suggestions/opinions on the current design and future available options.

Some potential new features:

• New plate mounting method. We've been using top mount for quite a long time. Now we're trying to figure out how to play with gaskets. Not sure if the current design can be called gasket mount or not. 
  • Anodizing: new regular colors, gradient anodizing, camo ano, hard ano
  • E-coating: new colors, non matte finish (the original e-white and e-black are all matte finish)
  • PVD brass case: It was a pain to deal with PVD because the quality is hard to control. Exclusive found a reliable factory that can do PVD in very high quality. It might be worth trying. Really appreciate his help.
  • PC case: Anyone interested in opaque PC cases? I'm not sure about the aesthetic aspect but the PC cases sound different from metal cases.

Show Image

Show Image

The current design is to attach 4 long strips of self-adhesive gaskets on both the top case and the bottom case.
The gaskets have screw holes on them. They will be compressed a little bit when the screws are tightened.
The front and rear sides of the plate will be sandwich mounted in the middle.

Update on 01/08:

Some changes have been made since the IC starts. There are also some details have been confirmed.

• Two versions of proprietary PCBs with middle USB ports. The first version supports variants of MX layouts and WKL ALPS layout. The second version supports hotswap and dedicated HHKB/WKL layout. Both are USB C + QMK
  • The USB port cutout will be in the middle
  • 4 types plates will be available: MX universal, MX WKL, MX HHKB, ALPS
  • Colors of aluminum parts: E-white, E-black, E-red, purple anodizing, yellow anodizing
  • Colors of PC versions: Matte clear, opaque black
  • Colors of PVD brass versions: gold, silver, rose gold
  • Pricing for aluminum/PC kits: $275 excluding Paypal fees or $290 with PayPal fees included.
  • Pricing for all brass PVD kits: $560 excluding PayPal fees.
  • Limits: 10 kits for all brass kits because PVD quality is difficult to control.

Universal PCB please (Left USB port).

Skimming through the thread, it seems A LOT want this option for easy PCB replacements.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 23:29:22 »
Yeah, I don't know why the USB can't be on the left. That way both proprietary and universal PCBs like the DZ60 would work.

What's the reason for putting it in the middle? Aesthetics?

Offline etong415

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 23:37:41 »
Would like to see different plate versions so there are no extra holes for specific layouts. Also like has been mentioned, would prefer universal PCB option unless there is a reason not to.

I'm definitely interested in all the color/finishing options. I've been interested in PC case for a while, depends on price though.
To throw in my opposing 2 cents. I'd rather universal than completely fixed regardless of layout unless there's sound relief cuts. Honestly I find an open bottom row and iso enter area sounds preferable than fixed, and any alignment issues are simply fixed with PCB mount switches.

Admittedly the sound is opinion. As always.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
How would you describe the differences in sound when comparing an open bottom row versus hhkb or WKL layout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 02:04:03 »
Would like to see different plate versions so there are no extra holes for specific layouts. Also like has been mentioned, would prefer universal PCB option unless there is a reason not to.

I'm definitely interested in all the color/finishing options. I've been interested in PC case for a while, depends on price though.
To throw in my opposing 2 cents. I'd rather universal than completely fixed regardless of layout unless there's sound relief cuts. Honestly I find an open bottom row and iso enter area sounds preferable than fixed, and any alignment issues are simply fixed with PCB mount switches.

How would you describe the differences in sound when comparing an open bottom row versus hhkb or WKL layout?

I can go one better:

There's caveats to that of course, the universal plate in this case has switch top opening, the fixed does not which will have an effect. The size and composition of the board will also have an effect.

It's not game changing by any means, and it's of course preference which you prefer but I'd say that fixed has a harsher higher pitched note, especially on larger keys, universal is more mellowed.

The difference can be mitigated either way by adding releif cuts under larger keys, particularly spacebar.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 02:11:02 »

I can go one better:

There's caveats to that of course, the universal plate in this case has switch top opening, the fixed does not which will have an effect. The size and composition of the board will also have an effect.

It's not game changing by any means, and it's of course preference which you prefer but I'd say that fixed has a harsher higher pitched note, especially on larger keys, universal is more mellowed.

The difference can be mitigated either way by adding releif cuts under larger keys, particularly spacebar.

damn that's some next level **** dude   :blank:
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline etong415

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 02:14:06 »

I can go one better:

Very interesting, definitely something to note if you’re going after a specific sound profile!

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #265 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 04:16:30 »
no one needs camo

Offline ptiede

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 07:05:03 »
Is there a sample of yellow aluminum?

Offline gabetjh

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 07:10:35 »
see leaf 80 on zf

Offline ptiede

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 08:28:00 »
see leaf 80 on zf

Thanks!

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 08:41:45 »
i'm trying to understand the pvd brass stuff but can't wrap my head around it. can someone help explain?

is it just the components? like plate and weight? or another type of build entirely?

Offline trg1234

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 08:53:47 »
Yeah, I don't know why the USB can't be on the left. That way both proprietary and universal PCBs like the DZ60 would work.

What's the reason for putting it in the middle? Aesthetics?

I believe that people wanted either a very tight middle port with proprietary or a left side port universal with the proprietary having that extra clean look.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #271 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 09:55:16 »
Good to hear that it uses a custom PCB, else I would be tempted to buy one cause it's such a pretty board  :))

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 09:57:12 »
Good to hear that it uses a custom PCB, else I would be tempted to buy one cause it's such a pretty board  :))
Such a helpful comment devoid of sarcasm

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 10:55:06 »
For what its worth, I'd be in the camp that believes the left side port would be best... so that there's a possibility of using a universal PCB.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 11:17:28 »
Since we're back to the PCB discussion, which I believe won't be very productive since Senter appears to have made his mind, I like that a proprietary PCB is being used.

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 11:19:59 »
Center USB's look amazing, much better than left or right side ones.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #276 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 11:27:41 »
Not sure if this has been asnswered/asked but ETA on the GB?

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #277 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 11:28:14 »
Not sure if this has been asnswered/asked but ETA on the GB?
Hopefully this month

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 12:44:14 »
This looks dope, I would buy an additional PCB + Polycarb plate if they are offered.

Will the final HHKB version have the cutouts on the side, or will they be visible through the polycarb like in the prototype? What color will the PCB be?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2019, 12:59:36 by dubious »

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 13:53:48 »
Given how limited it is, I would say the whole board will be PVD. Look up the E6 to get an idea of a ful brass board.
i'm trying to understand the pvd brass stuff but can't wrap my head around it. can someone help explain?

is it just the components? like plate and weight? or another type of build entirely?

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #280 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:11:53 »
I can go one better:

Thanks for the video. It's very informative. The spacebars on two plates do sounds significantly different. I prefer the sound of the universal one.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #281 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:14:47 »

Given how limited it is, I would say the whole board will be PVD. Look up the E6 to get an idea of a ful brass board.

Yes, whole board.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #282 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:16:42 »
This looks dope, I would buy an additional PCB + Polycarb plate if they are offered.

Will the final HHKB version have the cutouts on the side, or will they be visible through the polycarb like in the prototype? What color will the PCB be?

There will be a dedicated HHKB layout plate for the clear PC case so you won't see the additional switch cutouts on two corners.
The color of the PCB will be black if no one has better suggestions.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:20:06 »
For the hot swappable option is only wkl and hkkb layout supported or is a full version also included.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:24:25 »

There will be a dedicated HHKB layout plate for the clear PC case so you won't see the additional switch cutouts on two corners.

Does the non-hhkb plate work with hhkb case though? I actually really like the idea of having subtle colored plate see through with clear PC case on the corners.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:34:28 »
What about a WKL plate? Or maybe just plate blockers so you don't need a different plate.

Offline mog_genius88

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:48:36 »
Will PC cases be the same price as alu?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 14:59:54 »
I'd like to see a 65% with the Canoe-style blocker.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #288 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 15:04:26 »
Will PC cases be the same price as alu?

As per the edit to the OP, yea.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 16:22:33 »

nice, I think black is the best choice

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 16:24:17 »

+1 to this. I'm in for leaf 60 regardless but 65 will be perfect for me.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline ian13

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 20:39:50 »
PC leaf60 and PC leaf65! Let's go! :)
When will the gb start?

Offline Coolbeanz

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 21:55:45 »

PC leaf60 and PC leaf65! Let's go! :)
When will the gb start?

Would love a 65% version of this too!

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 23:29:46 »
No silver? If not, is the E white on the warmer or cooler side?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 00:20:19 »
No silver? If not, is the E white on the warmer or cooler side?

i believe it's a cool white
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 05:39:41 »
any plans on doing aluminum half plate for the 60 or 65?
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #296 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 07:51:08 »
For the hot swappable option is only wkl and hkkb layout supported or is a full version also included.
Also asking this

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 08:05:04 »
Will most likely have a 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. This will allow the PCB to work with HHKB, WKL, and Tsangan.
Also asking this

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #298 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 21:34:24 »
I'm most likely in for the pc hhkb.

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 10 January 2019, 21:34:41 »
Will there be an option to upgrade the brass weight or plate to a sandblasted finish?